PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the Smoke Ring

Commander Quan
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
The Art of the Smoke Ring

Smoke rings may be the ultimate visual representation of the joy and relaxation a man can get from a good smoke. There are several ways that one can achieve a proper smoke ring but it is a common misnomer that smoke rings are "blown" in fact blowing the smoke out of your mouth will surely result in nothing more than a cloud of smoke. To properly achieve a ring, a vortex of air/smoke must be "pushed" out through an O formed by the mouth. There is various ways this can be done and each individual will have their own preferred method or combination of methods to achieve the best results.

To achieve a nice ring we will need a calm space with little or no disturbance in the air, for beginners no moving air is best, and the second thing we need is a large volume of smoke. For this article I am going to use the term cigar, but this can just as easily be done with a pipe, or a cigarette if it produces enough smoke.

First take a large puff of smoke into your mouth. I like to take a couple short puffs first to get the cigar burning hot and then take a long puff to pull in the most smoke.

After you do this keep your lips sealed and keep your tongue against the bottom of your mouth, and lower your jaw. Try to hold the smoke as far back in your mouth as possible. Next form a tight O shape with your lips, the size if the O is something you will have to play with to see what gives you the best results.

There are several ways to push the air/smoke out of your mouth. One way is to keep the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth and use the middle of your tongue in a quick up and forward motion to push the smoke out of your mouth. Another way is to keep the tongue against the bottom of the mouth and use the jaw to make a quick upward motion. The chin should only move a half inch at most and be careful to maintain the O shape with your lips. A third way is to keep the tongue against the bottom of your mouth and with the smoke in the very back of your mouth open your throat with short quick exhales almost like you were making little coughs.

After you are successful at blowing one ring, try for multiple rings with one puff, or experiment with blowing a ring and then blowing a second through the first.

If you are having a difficult time forming smoke rings in the traditional manor you can cheat and after taking a puff of the cigar, form a smaller sized O shape with your lips, and use your finger to tap the side of your cheek. You can do this repeatedly to form many rapid fire ringlets.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/comanderquan/stuff/rings.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo
12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Great post and very informative Commander :laugh:

Christopher :badger:

sol92258
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Cool!

Now, grab one, dip it in coffee, and eat it like the ghost in the Porky Pig cartoon, Jeepers Creepers I believe it was :D

(Great instructions, btw...if I smoked, I'd be trying this right now - heck, I may try it anyway just to see if I can)

davecmu
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Love a good smoke ring. Good post. Now quit smoking in your dorm room!

Commander Quan
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
HA.That is actually the garage of my first house where I spent many a evening and where I practiced blowing thousands of smoke rings.

ouch
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
If you want to see real smoke rings, check out some of our bbq threads. :tongue_sm

Blue_2
12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
That garage shot reminds me of a basement where I learned, with cigarettes :/

Commander Quan
12-08-2010, 06:45 PM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/comanderquan/stuff/DoubleRings.jpg

TanDog
12-08-2010, 07:30 PM

I can manage to make a pretty consistent series of smoke rings, but THIS is impressive!!:thumbup1:

Jim
12-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Derrick Look what that smoke is doing to your chin!

:lol:

davecmu
12-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Derrick Look what that smoke is doing to your chin!

:lol:

And your hair - it's all rising on the heat and sticking because of the contaminants. :scared:

Vlad
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I DID IT! I DID IT! And it wasn't even hard! Thanks, Commander! :2guns:

Commander Quan
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Nice!

global_dev
12-09-2010, 05:23 PM
If you want to see real smoke rings, check out some of our bbq threads. :tongue_sm

i was thinking the same thing...

regardless, cool double rings picture... i was just in a cigar shop asking if they carried shave gear. those guys were having a blast and the air smelled sweet, but a bit smothering to a non-smoker...

LuckyR
12-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Trying to blow the second ring through the first is a great time waster...

RaisingTheBar
12-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Awesome how to! I'ma give this a try tonight.

How do we make Gandalf's "smoke boat"? heh

Loric
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM

+1 handlebar smoke rings are the most appropriate form of expulsion in the wet shaving community. True inovation here :lol:

TenorClef
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Here are some practical applications for smoke rings :001_smile

johnmrson
12-11-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm really lucky, I can click my jaw whilst blowing out smoke and get a nice even row of smoke rings.

Mr. Imperial
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I've always wondered how to do that. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Too cold right now...

Blak Smyth
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Very impressive commander, I can do some rings but nothing fancy!
Those double split rings are amazing brother!

Commander Quan
12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey Shane, welcome to B&B

Blak Smyth
12-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks good to see a familiar face here!

Blackbeard's Delight
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
I was actually going to kick off my first new thread of the year asking if anyone enjoys making smoke rings, and for tips, etc. It would be a cool thread to see pics of people showboating their ring skills.

It was funny seeing the Gandalph comment at the beginning of the thread... I just finished re-reading the Hobbit for the first time since I was a kid, as a refresher before trying to go see the movie. There are several scenes involving pipe smoking. My favorite doesn't even involve smoking... Bilbo runs out to meet the dwarves on their adventure without packing anything. But Gandalph remembers to bring Bilbo's pipe and tobacco for him. Now that's a good friend!

But yeah, that got me wondering about smoke ring blowers here. It's something I haven't given any thought to since I began pipe smoking, but I'll definitely be trying the next bowl I smoke!

Commander Quan
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm still working on triangles.

Hunter
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Awesome, I will give them a try when it is warmer out!

Bk124tt
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Impressive double barrel rings!:drool:

Hunter
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Impressive double barrel rings!:drool:

Or better yet, different gauged under over!

Liberty_2112
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm a new pipe smoker, and an outdoor smoker. Cold and windy here now, but this spring when the weather warms I will definitely be practicing this skill.

Thanks for a great thread!

oc_in_fw
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I have smoked cigarettes for 25+ years, and have never been able to do this. I always tried to blow the ring. Now I know.

sbain
01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
It's super easy to learn with a hookah. Big draw in, make a nice medium O with your mouth and follow OP's instructions!

KWilliams40
08-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I'll have to try using your instructions. I've been trying to figure out how to make a smoke ring for 20+ years. Thanks.

boostdemon
08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
i learned to make rings in the winter months with just my breath when i was a kid. Obviously it was habit to do them constantly for 19 years of smoking cigarettes... 8 weeks smoke free now, this site really makes me want to light up one of my favorite cigars :crying:

oc_in_fw
08-08-2013, 03:47 PM
i learned to make rings in the winter months with just my breath when i was a kid. Obviously it was habit to do them constantly for 19 years of smoking cigarettes... 8 weeks smoke free now, this site really makes me want to light up one of my favorite cigars :crying:
I know enabling is the thing to do, usually, but if you think it will hook you again then don't do it. I am a lifetime ciggy smoker, and know exactly how difficult it is to stay away.

Argonaut
08-08-2013, 06:31 PM

I know enabling is the thing to do, usually, but if you think it will hook you again then don't do it. I am a lifetime ciggy smoker, and know exactly how difficult it is to stay away.
This is good advice, nobody here is looking to sway anyone to our hobby. We wouldnt tell a recovering alcoholic a couple of beers wont hurt them. Good for you for kicking your habit, stay the course.

the_edski
08-11-2013, 07:12 PM

This is good advice, nobody here is looking to sway anyone to our hobby. We wouldnt tell a recovering alcoholic a couple of beers wont hurt them. Good for you for kicking your habit, stay the course.

Totally agreed! Stay clean, brother!

Senshi
09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I was sitting with my bowl of Nightcap last night and was making smoke rings. Was going to start a thread about this and found this.

Derrick, the double rings is really a thing of beauty. As was your hair.:001_smile

Commander Quan
09-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Yeah yeah. Now all the hair is in the opposite places.

August West
09-09-2014, 11:35 AM
That is too cool.