PDA

View Full Version : Face adjustment period?

eptreyg
11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
So I have been shaving (or attempting) with a straight this past week. That technique is going to take some time- that much I can tell. This morning, though, I didn't have time to use the straight - so I used my DE. And something remarkable happened. I could do three passes - BBS - not a hint of irritation.

Is this normal?!

BladeRunner001
11-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeap...it takes time to get used to a straight. Not just you..your face too.

Luc
11-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes. Straight shaving takes a lot of practice. It took me ~75 shaves to achieve something between DFS and BBS with a straight razor.

ridgerunner
11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Three passes with my DE and a good blade will consistently give me a minimum of a DFS and often a BBS.

eptreyg
11-14-2010, 04:37 PM
My question is this though- before I started with the straight- the third pass wasn't an option for me as I felt irritation start- however, after going at it with a straight all week - the DE was like butter. Soft silky smooth and no irritation. Is that just my face toughening up from the straight?

global_dev
11-14-2010, 05:12 PM
i would say you, like I recently experienced, have probably gained a better appreciation for the light touch and angles via straight use that transferred to DE.

Medic82
11-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Been shaving with a DE for a week now and my face just can't handle the 3 pass, but noticing that my face is adjusting.

Luc
11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
My question is this though- before I started with the straight- the third pass wasn't an option for me as I felt irritation start- however, after going at it with a straight all week - the DE was like butter. Soft silky smooth and no irritation. Is that just my face toughening up from the straight?

It could be that you are more careful now.

Go West Young Man
11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
I doubt that your face 'gets tougher' - you probably just shave with a lighter touch and have better overall technique than you did before.