PDA

View Full Version : Which way do you swirl your brush while loading it? Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

_MementoMori_
11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I, for one, ALWAYS swirl counter-clockwise. It just feels right.

texbilly
11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Both!

spindlecone
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Depends on your location to the equator I think.

evandood
When I am in the Northern Hemisphere, I rotate counterclockwise, when I go to the Southern I rotate clockwise.

_MementoMori_
Both!

Well... that seems like a no-brainer of a poll option now that you say it...

instpasr
11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Clockwise always unless I'm on the moon the moon the I don't swirl I use a back and forth motion.

gull
11-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm left handed and I go counter clockwise. I voted that I didn't pay attention though :tongue_sm

joglander
11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
when i am in the northern hemisphere, i rotate counterclockwise, when i go to the southern i rotate clockwise.

+1

cigarjim
11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I swirl clockwise when above the equator and counter clockwise when below the equator:lol::lol:

dpm802
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I pump it up and down, with the vertical axis of the brush held perpendicular to the cross-section of the puck.

This method is equally effective in both Northern and Southern hemispheres, right-handed, left-handed, ambidextrous, and presumably, works in outer-space as well.

ouch
11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
When I am in the Northern Hemisphere, I rotate counterclockwise, when I go to the Southern I rotate clockwise.

The definitive text:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=25238#post25238

:lol:

Slivovitz
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Neither. I put the mug with the soap in it on a turntable, and hold the brush still.

Drybonz
11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Also both... I have a pattern I go in. Light clockwise, hard press clockwise, light counter, hard press counter, light clockwise.

I started doing it without realizing it... then once I realized I was doing it that way, now I always make sure I do it that way.

I have no idea why.

Sullybob
11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Yes! I switch back and forth.

_JP_
11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I often use an M shape pattern when the puck starts to spin.

pauls51
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Clockwise... It just feels like it's meant to be! :lol:

_JP_
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Neither. I put the mug with the soap in it on a turntable, and hold the brush still.

By DE fault that would be counter clockwise.

GDCarrington
11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Counter Clockwise since I am a southpaw!

_JP_
11-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Random thought -

When I'm using a brush on a puck, I swirl clockwise.

When I use a wire whisk to create whipped cream, I swirl counter clockwise.

The end results with either the puck or the dairy cream look the same.

GDCarrington
11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Random thought -

When I'm using a brush on a puck, I swirl clockwise.

When I use a wire whisk to create whipped cream, I swirl counter clockwise.

The end results with either the puck or the dairy cream look the same.

Be sure not to mix up the two. :tongue_sm

JJMontague
11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Counter Clockwise since I am a southpaw!

Clockwise since I am a southpaw! :thumbup: ... er... wait... :blink:

blugill
11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Both, now that I think about it

BladeRunner001
11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Does it really matter? The brush loads either way

Now, if you question pertains to finding out the number of individuals here that are blessed by nature of their genes to be right- versus left-handed, then that's an entirely different matter altogether...rather cool topic :thumbup1:

PS: Being in the south or north won't make a difference what direction YOU swirl the brush. That concepts is one that is untrue and has been brought up in context of fluid flow...it's called the "Coriolis Force", which determines which direction water spirals down drains. For example, the thinking was that if you flush a toilette in the northern hemisphere, the flow will be counter clockwise and the opposite when you are in the southern hemisphere. This is untrue...that flow is determined by outside forces (shape of bowl, how level it is, etc...).

Now, if that was true, at the equator, you would never get to effectively flush anything down the toilette :lol:.

_MementoMori_
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
It's a just-for-fun poll. That's all.

I'm interested in the answers so far, though. A lot of you counter-clockwisers have stated that you do it that way because you're southpaws. I'm right handed and I swirl counter-clockwise.

ouch
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I see that nobody is ever going to click on my thread about this.

Worst. Post. Ever. :tongue_sm

_MementoMori_
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM

I did!

kg4ghn
11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I do both.

It seems to make the brush load faster to swirl it one way then switch directions. When you switch directions you can feel the brush "stick" to the puck or have more resistance.

The extra resistance to the brush supposedly means that the brush is picking up more soap. I'm pretty sure I read that in a tutorial somewhere but I read 83882750235 tutorials when I started so I have no idea which one.

GDCarrington
11-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Are they eliminated clockwise or counter clockwise?

JohnnyC
11-03-2010, 07:59 PM
i go clockwise, and just when I think the brush is loaded I go COUNTER clockwise. hard core huh?

Bluemidknight
11-03-2010, 08:00 PM
ummm I actually payed attention this time :p

I do both, swirl one way and then swirl the other way the a rapid back and forth :lol:

Topgumby
11-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, damn you sir, damn, I say!

Here I had been happily building great lather with not a care in the world, able to coax those copious clouds of soapy goodness at will, after cresting a somewhat rocky learning curve.

Then I read this post from the devil.

Tonight, I approached my Old Spice mug, with it's dwindling puck of Tabac, and after my usual prep, I picked up my humble yet lovable, Tweezerman.

I stopped. What way should I swirl my brush? What way had I always done it? What?

Damn, damn, damn. This should be easy, and now...paralysis by analysis.

I came back here to see what way I should be swirling, being a right handed shaver and all. No consensus.

I clicked on the link that Ouch provided and read all about the Toyota Corolla effect, or something like that having to do with your grid location and how to use the Force to swirl. I read it again, and I came away more confused than ever, and with thirty percent less brain cells than when I discovered this thread.

I then tried to make it basic, and put the mug on the bathroom floor and tried walking around it, clockwise and counterclockwise, while holding my brush just over the mug. I went faster, and tried to decide what way worked best. I started making frustrated noises. My wife opened the door and wanted to know why in blue blazes was I doing a Curly impression in my bathrobe.

Now, because of this just-for-fun poll, I'm reduced to a drooling, simpering non lathering shell of my former confident self, a shaver that used to swirl with conviction, and now I'm having crazy thoughts of aerosol cans and iridescent blue gels, the crystal meth of the lather world that requires no directional swirling decisions, just the seductive hiss while that ersatz foam grows like the Blob in my palm....

No, no no! I'll get clean and read Jim's tutorial and go back to the basics...It's a VDH brush and Williams for me until I get my swirling groove back. Get thee behind me, you canned Satan!

Waitaminnit. Clockwise. :blink:

Never mind.

Drubbing
11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Neither.

I just hold my brush in the tub and wait while the world revolves around me.

Legion
11-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I do both! It seems to load the brush better.

Shangas
11-03-2010, 11:22 PM
When I'm loading/lathering, it's almost invariably a clockwise swirl.

WalkerTM
11-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I just jump right in there and start waving the brush in all directions ;)

kg4ghn
11-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Well, damn you sir, damn, I say!

Here I had been happily building great lather with not a care in the world, able to coax those copious clouds of soapy goodness at will, after cresting a somewhat rocky learning curve.

Then I read this post from the devil.

Tonight, I approached my Old Spice mug, with it's dwindling puck of Tabac, and after my usual prep, I picked up my humble yet lovable, Tweezerman.

I stopped. What way should I swirl my brush? What way had I always done it? What?

Damn, damn, damn. This should be easy, and now...paralysis by analysis.

I came back here to see what way I should be swirling, being a right handed shaver and all. No consensus.

I clicked on the link that Ouch provided and read all about the Toyota Corolla effect, or something like that having to do with your grid location and how to use the Force to swirl. I read it again, and I came away more confused than ever, and with thirty percent less brain cells than when I discovered this thread.

I then tried to make it basic, and put the mug on the bathroom floor and tried walking around it, clockwise and counterclockwise, while holding my brush just over the mug. I went faster, and tried to decide what way worked best. I started making frustrated noises. My wife opened the door and wanted to know why in blue blazes was I doing a Curly impression in my bathrobe.

Now, because of this just-for-fun poll, I'm reduced to a drooling, simpering non lathering shell of my former confident self, a shaver that used to swirl with conviction, and now I'm having crazy thoughts of aerosol cans and iridescent blue gels, the crystal meth of the lather world that requires no directional swirling decisions, just the seductive hiss while that ersatz foam grows like the Blob in my palm....

No, no no! I'll get clean and read Jim's tutorial and go back to the basics...It's a VDH brush and Williams for me until I get my swirling groove back. Get thee behind me, you canned Satan!

Waitaminnit. Clockwise. :blink:

Never mind.

We really need to take all of your posts, put them together in a book and have it published.

Seriously. :laugh:

ackvil
11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Another vote for both.

_MementoMori_
11-04-2010, 05:19 AM
We really need to take all of your posts, put them together in a book and have it published.

Agreed. I'd buy it.

CptBlueBear
11-04-2010, 05:31 AM
By DE fault that would be counter clockwise.

Only relative to the brush. If you consider the turntable's point of view the brush is rotating anticlockwise. Isn't this fun?

For the record, I didn't vote because I swirl across the puck. This way loads both sides of the brush and reduces spinning of a loose puck in an overlarge container (as the actress said to the bishop...)

Jim
11-04-2010, 05:37 AM
The definitive text:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=25238#post25238

:lol:

A B&B Classic!:thumbup:

doublediamond
11-04-2010, 07:38 AM
I also clicked the link about Toyota Corolla!

Another lefty here, another counter clockwise swirler. Going clockwise doesn't feel right, like writing with my right hand. So I swirl, pump, and swirl some more.

Snargle
11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
How come no option for digital-clockwise? I guess it wouldn't really be a swirl...more of an on-and-off motion? :tongue_sm

cnnc97
11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Mostly counter clockwise for me. I do throw in a couple of turns clockwise to mix things up.

gsurko
11-04-2010, 07:54 AM
How bored does one have to be in order to even wonder about such a thing?:bored::bored::bored::confused1:confused1:co nfused1

dwestenk
11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
every which way!

Bubu
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I press down then turn clockwise then counter clockwise, and then once more for four turns to load my Omega 6215 large brush on my Mama Bear soap. I decided to do this when I was getting crappy lathers and I wanted to do better.

Crixus
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I just hold my brush in the tub and wait while the world revolves around me.All joking aside, that's pretty much exactly how 14-year-old girls begin their very first shave.

As for me, another lefty and another counter-clockwise swirler. I occasionally try to throw a couple of clockwise swirls in there, but mostly I just get dizzy when I do that. Unless I close one eye.:blush:

fisherbln
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Almost always clock-wise.

grump
11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Both and side to side!

auk1124
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Front to back.

Back to front would be unhygenia... unhygane... er, nasty.

_JP_
11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Only relative to the brush. If you consider the turntable's point of view the brush is rotating anticlockwise. Isn't this fun?

If you look at the turntable from head on, then you see that it is going from right to left. So it is following the rotation of the Earth as long as we accept that the North Pole is up.

For the record, I didn't vote because I swirl across the puck. This way loads both sides of the brush and reduces spinning of a loose puck in an overlarge container (as the actress said to the bishop...)Ah! another M stroker as I posted about earlier!

Dang it all! It occurs to me that there should be pucks optimized for the swirling direction that one prefers.

Topgumby
11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Dang it all! It occurs to me that there should be pucks optimized for the swirling direction that one prefers.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/msgte/nut.jpg

Left and right handed serrated flange locking pucks?

Count me in! :tongue_sm

Shangas
11-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Shave Ravings: The Bathroom Musings of a Lunatic

Catchy title...I like it.

CptBlueBear
11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
If you look at the turntable from head on, then you see that it is going from right to left. So it is following the rotation of the Earth as long as we accept that the North Pole is up.

Aha, but half of the revolution will be from left to right viewed from the front so that will be opposing the earth's rotation. Anyway, I am in the southern hemisphere so the North pole is down. Ok it's at 43 degrees to the vertical, but you get the idea.

If you consider the turntable's frame of reference, then it is standing still and the world (including the brush) is rotating around it counter-clockwise and you will get dizzy and fall over.

Ah! another M stroker as I posted about earlier!

I guess the pattern is in real life an M 'cause the puck moves in the tin. Unless we consider it from the puck's frame of reference, which I won't 'cause I haven't had enough beer. This morning I actually used a figure eight pattern to as I was trying to get the residue from the walls of my Proraso pot. Have I invented another method that needs adding to the poll?

We must immeadiately patent that idea. If the claims I read on my GF's lotions and potions are anything to go by, then optimising for stroke direction makes perfect sense.

DSB
11-04-2010, 07:38 PM
I hold my brush still and allow the rotation of the earth to swirl my soap.*

*OK, I just saw someone beat me to it! :blushing:

Fairchild86
11-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I can't even believe this is even a thread...

Hansel
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Clockwise if I'm holding the brush in my right hand, but counter-clockwise if I'm holding the brush in my left hand.

SailBob
11-05-2010, 06:09 AM
We should prepare for both directions.The earths magnetic field has been weakening and the poles Will switch.As it has in the past.:shocked:

M80
11-05-2010, 06:53 AM
The dancer spins clockwise so I swirl clockwise.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Spinning_Dancer.gif

TMH478
11-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Agreed!

Saltchuck
11-05-2010, 09:12 AM

Counter-clockwise seems left to me; it's just not right. :tongue_sm

BlackBard
11-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Both, so I could not vote (except to agree with Art).

Eddieb208
11-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Is this what the B&B has come to? Methinks the OP should be permanently banned to the Clown House!

djh
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I am left-handed and it is counter-clockwise for me.

jakespoppy
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Both, and I pump it up and down a few times, too.

BrianL
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Clockwise on the soap counter on my face.

Spencer
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Interesting topic! I hadn't paid attention before this thread surfaced, but I've since noticed I always load my brush clockwise.

Crixus
11-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Interesting sidebar to this poll:

Almost to a man or woman, the direction you scrape your knife along the inside wall of a nearly empty peanut butter jar will invariably be the same direction you swirl your brush around the soap bowl.:001_huh:

life2short1971
11-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Clockwise unless I am south of the equator. When in doubt I flush the toilet and see which way it spins:lol:

Luc
11-05-2010, 05:38 PM

I did, even bumped it!

RSC
11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Can I change my vote? I thought it was clockwise, but when I actually got the bowl and brush in my hand this morning, I found that I was actually using a counter-clockwise motion. Clockwise felt awkward, so I don't think that's what I had been doing. I guess my answer should have been "I'm not sure." I'm right-handed.

Topgumby
11-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Can I change my vote?

NO!

What has been swirled, cannot be unswirled!

_JP_
11-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm feeling dizzy...

Hey! I bet that dedicated fishermen swirl the brush the same direction that they crank the real, which is clockwise.

noahpictures
11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Clockwise if I am in the States. Counter clockwise if I'm in Oz.

Brownbear
11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Exactly the same number of rotations in one direction as the other.

If you don't you run the risk of torquing the soap molecules and making them stressed. Do this enough times and you will permanently twist the soap molecules and your lather will be crap. In fact some of the higher end soaps can be permanently ruined by leaving them twisted, while they dry, for even one 24 hour period.

I can't tell you how many pucks I've had to throw away in disgust having gotten distracted and lost count and put them up torqued.

Rotational sensitivity is the dirty little secret of the shaving soap industry and most representatives will gaslight you and make you think you are nuts if you have the nerve to mention it. I've been banned from more than one board for being honest and bringing this problem to the fore.

Don't believe me? Think I'm nuts? Have you ever run a four wheel drive on pavement without unlocking the hubs and then tried to shift the front diff into neutral. Huh? yeah I thought so. Well you've experienced the same thing. Go ahead, call me a crackpot but why to you think Volkswagen abandoned torsion bar suspension and went to McPherson struts in the "new" Beetle?

If you don't understand what I'm talking about you are probably an incompetent face latherer with a tiny, uh, brush, and I'm not interested in your feeble protests that you have never noticed this effect.

And if you buy the nonsense that creams or tallow based soaps are less likely to suffer asymmetric saponifornication (the technical term) then you are a closet depilatory user and have no business posting here.

life2short1971
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
:blink:

stubblefree
11-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Counter clockwise !!!!????!!!!

HOW ODD !!!!!!!

Vijay

stubblefree
11-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Exactly the same number of rotations in one direction as the other.

If you don't you run the risk of torquing the soap molecules and making them stressed. Do this enough times and you will permanently twist the soap molecules and your lather will be crap. In fact some of the higher end soaps can be permanently ruined by leaving them twisted, while they dry, for even one 24 hour period.

I can't tell you how many pucks I've had to throw away in disgust having gotten distracted and lost count and put them up torqued.

Rotational sensitivity is the dirty little secret of the shaving soap industry and most representatives will gaslight you and make you think you are nuts if you have the nerve to mention it. I've been banned from more than one board for being honest and bringing this problem to the fore.

Don't believe me? Think I'm nuts? Have you ever run a four wheel drive on pavement without unlocking the hubs and then tried to shift the front diff into neutral. Huh? yeah I thought so. Well you've experienced the same thing. Go ahead, call me a crackpot but why to you think Volkswagen abandoned torsion bar suspension and went to McPherson struts in the "new" Beetle?

If you don't understand what I'm talking about you are probably an incompetent face latherer with a tiny, uh, brush, and I'm not interested in your feeble protests that you have never noticed this effect.

And if you buy the nonsense that creams or tallow based soaps are less likely to suffer asymmetric saponifornication (the technical term) then you are a closet depilatory user and have no business posting here.

TECHNICALITY.................thy name is BROWNBEAR !!!!!

PHEW !!!!!!!

Vijay

Wil Dorenbos
11-07-2010, 10:37 AM
both!

+1!

Ski-Patroller
11-07-2010, 01:37 PM
When I did the poll, I thought it was clockwise, but after check, I go both directions. Who'd have thunk it?

Slash McCoy
11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Clockwise, of course. One should not even have to ask. Of course, in the southern hemisphere the proper direction would be counterclockwise. Lefties should be forgiven for going the wrong way around. This is a no-brainer. Sort of like the silly toilet paper debate. Anyone with an iota of common sense knows that the end should come out over the top, presented rather than concealed, but there are still kooks and crackpots out there who insist that the wrong way is the right way.

RSC
11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I think it might depend on the mass of the brush. Without the brush in my hand, clockwise feels slightly more natural. With the brush, definitely counter-wise.

Brownbear
11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
TECHNICALITY.................thy name is BROWNBEAR !!!!!

PHEW !!!!!!!

Vijay
:biggrin1: :sneaky2:

Picaro
11-09-2010, 01:55 AM
On my left side I use my left hand and swirl counterclockwise.

On my right side I use my right hand and swirl clockwise.

And I always finish with straight brushstrokes.

Snick
11-09-2010, 01:59 AM

You must be a contrarian, unless your are an Aussie. :tongue_sm

-snick