PDA

View Full Version : singing razor??

kansascutthroat
09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
found a great price on a dovo razor. it has a "singing blade". i understand what that is, have a couple other dovo razors i love. before i buy, wondered it there is any advantage or disadvantage to this type of blade configuration.
thanks!

JPDyson
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
It's an extra hollow-ground razor; so-called singing since it would ring a bit like a bell if struck. The benefit is that thin, flexible edge that hollow ground razors enjoy.

Disburden
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Singing razors tend to be hollow or extra hollow which is why they sing more than a heavier grounded blade. They flex more on your face when you shave and give more feedback during a shave and stropping. It's a preference thing but I like them, I use a Gotta hamburg Ring 120 razor all the time that is Extra Hollow and sings.

Gibbs
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Do you think there is much difference between the extra hollow Dovo "singing" and the Thiers-Issard 5/8 Carbonsong "singing" razors, other than a little bit difference in price?
I have heard that the Thiers-Issard Full-Hollow 'singing' razors are wonderful shavers, just not sure how good they would be for someone starting out. By the time I would be able to buy one, in about 4-6 weeks, I am sure I wll have put in a lot more practice on my Dovo 6/8
Best Quality razor. I always figured that Solingen German steel was just a bit better (acutally Sweedish Steel) for holding an edge.