PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Rudy Vey
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
So, you want a new shaving brush but cannot decide which one? You like a certain handle style, but it is not offered in the hair quality, size, or loft you like.
For any custom work contact me and we can discuss your needs. My goal is to fulfill the needs and wishes of my customers. I have made brushes from woods, resins, acrylics, antler, horn and even pre-ban ivory. Some of my work included removing boar knots from simple, light plastic handles and set them into new handles turned from custom cast butterscotch resin or faux ivory.
Restoration work is also a specialty of mine. I have revived 30+ year old brushes with high sentimental value, into like-new ones that will see another 30 years of usage.

Here is how I work: After my customer has decided on shape and material of handle and size, quality and loft of the hair knot, I make the handle and set the knot loosely in. Then I take a picture and send it to the customer for approval. If it is approved, my customer pays me and I glue the knot in and pack and ship the brush to him - the customer knows exactly what he is getting!

So, if you are in need for a new brush, want an antique store find restored or need an old brush re-knotted, please contact me: send me a pm or e-mail me to: [email protected]

Here are a few examples of my work:
The first is a badger brush in the shape of the Beehive with a Silvertip grade A knot.

The second brush is made with a custom cast resin handle, the color was the choice of my customer, showing a two-band finest Badger hair knot.

The next picture shows two brushes, the left is made from resin stabilized Boxelderburl wood and the small one, a travel brush, in black Buffalo horn; both are shown with two-band finest knots. The left one a bulb shape, and the travel brush a fan shaped knot.

Then there are two re-handled Omega 10066 knots, handle shapes are similar to the Duke and Emillion.

Wingnut
08-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Guys, here's an unsolicited endorsement for Rudy and his work. As a B&B newbie, I had Rudy do a restore of a 30+ year old Kent brush given to me by my parents. His work was fantastic and he was an absolute joy to work with. If you're considering having a custom brush made or a restore, Rudy is THE MAN!

AD43576
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Another unsolicited endorsement here! I have two brushes from Rudy and love them both. The first I bought was an 18mm finest with an Irish Bog Oak handle. Number two is a 20mm grade A silver tip with an acrylic handle. Both perform great and Rudy was a pleasure to deal with. Can't recommend him highly enough!

fidjit
08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Rudy's work displayed on B&B has ALMOST made me buy a non vintage brush !!!! :biggrin1:

Fine work from a fine artisan :thumbup1:

Rudy Vey
08-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Here are a few more brushes I made lately.
The first two pictures show a brush made from a large piece of Sambar Stag antler. The customer wanted to keep the full structure and feel of this beautiful material, so I just turned over the top and bottom. It polishes well to a glass like shine in the turned and sanded areas on top and bottom. Since these large antlers have a soft core, I put a "plug" in the bottom, the plug is turned from black Buffalo horn. For comparison reason, I put my personal Sambar stag antler brush here and this one shows a bit more of the material, as I have turned the top a bit down. The knot in the first brush is a 26 mm, the one in my brush is a 19 mm custom Shavemac.

The last picture shows a number of boar brushes with Omega and UK boar knots. Handle designed loaned from the VDH brush. Handles made from custom cast resin.

solar
08-20-2010, 03:52 AM
Another unsolicited reply. I have two RV brushes, and will likely be going back for more. Rudy does what he says; produces a brush of outstanding quality, in close consultation with the customer for a very reasonable price.

A quick shot of my two RV brushes: a beehive and tulip. The handles are beautifully turned. As a woodworker and a technician of sorts, I have a solid eye to detail, and the handles and set of the knot in these brushes is second to none.

The grade A silver tip knot he has been able to acquire has resulted in beautiful brushes for me.

Support the independent craftsman! If you're considering a new brush and you want something specific, I would strongly suggest a RV brush. Once you do get one, you'll see why.

Chris

Rudy Vey
08-27-2010, 03:04 AM
I was asked many times in the past months if I somehow mark my brushes. Looking into several options, I thought that laser engraving would be the way to go. On my pens I use this technique for quite some time, but the problem was that my old engraver resides in Michigan and turnaround would be very slow. We finally found a local guy here only five miles away and he does great work as well. We designed the logo together, and the samples we have gotten on resin and wooden brushes look very good.
Here is the logo:

miamimoe
08-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Great logo, Rudy. Hope to contact you soon about a restore.

Hex
08-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Nice looking logo Rudy, and I guess I am going to get one on my new brush . :w00t::w00t:

55dougie
08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Love the new logo and my Rudy Vey brush....

Big Fella
08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
That fantastically, wonderful, beautiful, Sambar Stag brush Rudy pictured is mine!!! Guess that pretty much tells you how much I like it. I really enjoy Sambar Stag pistol and revolver grips and have several knives handled in it. As Sambar Stag can no longer be imported, I didn't think I could get a brush using it. Rudy found a beautiful piece of stag and you can see the result. Thanks Rudy!!!

Sparafucile
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Rudy does make a great brush; I'm pleased with the one he made for me. The knot is dense and soft; the handle looks great!

kooshman7
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Glad to see the logo Rudy as I feel your brushes deserve to have it!

kingfisher
08-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Love the brushes. Don't like the logo at all.

Maybe you could just use the RV part? And perhaps make it so the V doesn't dip so low?

On the other hand, without seeing it actually on the brush I may be speaking too soon. Can you post a picture of a brush handle with the logo on it?

DracZ
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
This is completely random, but I saw your current logo and had an idea for an alternative:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7201/78958067.jpg

Thoughts?

jholme9
09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Nicely done, Drac!

Rudy, not that my opinion has any more weight than some random consumer, but I think Drac's is a good bit nicer than the one posted above (it looks more professional).

DracZ
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Nicely done, Drac!

Rudy, not that my opinion has any more weight than some random consumer, but I think Drac's is a good bit nicer than the one posted above (it looks more professional).

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Polished up the original image a little:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2199/rv2o.jpg

kingfisher
09-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Polished up the original image a little:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2199/rv2o.jpg

This one is a big improvement, in my opinion.:thumbup1:

Hex
09-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Yeah, after seeing the DracZ logo, I agree that it looks classier.

Derty
09-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I like the Dracz logo alot better... Very clean looking!

Rudy Vey
09-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, my wife and I also like the version from DracZ better and we decided to use this from now on. Had the first brushes engraved today and they came out very nice, the engraver loved it as well.
Thanks to DracZ!!

DracZ
09-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, my wife and I also like the version from DracZ better and we decided to use this from now on. Had the first brushes engraved today and they came out very nice, the engraver loved it as well.
Thanks to DracZ!!

My pleasure Rudy, its an honour having ones work on such spectacular designs! Can't wait to see how they turn out :thumbup:

WhoRu
09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks to DracZ!!

Pictures!! We wanna see it!

OK, maybe just me, but still...

PanchoVilla
09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Good choice Rudy. Great work Drac.:thumbup:

Oh well, looks like another new brush. :mad2:

jholme9
09-06-2010, 09:30 AM
It looks like Rudy has decided to go with your logo, DracZ. Congrats!

Hopefully you guys were able to work out a little trade!

Bit2
09-06-2010, 12:55 PM
So, do we send you back the brushes you made to get engraved?

John

DracZ
09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the support gents, to see all the positive responses alone has made the effort worthwhile. :blushing::thumbup:

Kamidanshir
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I understand that you turn or cast the handles yourself, and set the knot, but it sounds like you don't actually make the knot yourself, is that correct? If so, are there any size or shape limitations on knot options, or do you have access to custom knots in any configuration?

azmark
09-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm not much of a fan on shaving brushes but I am a fan of Rudy. He just sent me a gorgeous buffalo horn brush in a super badger:w00t:.

Hopefully we can get a few more pumped out on some ideas I have for others. There is sure something special about having something made by someone who cares about quality and having a happy customer:thumbup1:

Rudy Vey
09-15-2010, 04:44 AM
Yesterday I did something which have done only once or twice before: freed a knot from a handle to transplant it into a new handle! So far, I did remove a number of Omega knots from 10066 brushes, but this is quite easy. The other transplant I did was one of my own brushes: I smashed the handle with a hammer to free the knot and then put it into a new handle (I knew how the inside looked, which way the knot was glued in and how).
Now, yesterday I "operated" out the knot of a Kent BK4. My customer feels this is way to floppy - and he is right. This knot now will be installed in a new handle and will have a much shorter loft. It was an operation that was carried out very careful and took about 45 minutes.
There is always the risk the knot might get destroyed when trying to remove it from a handle. I was lucky yesterday, and I think it has to do with the fact that this Kent knot sits in side some kind of a cup. The glue inside was very sparsely (no wonder why some of the knots in some of the Kent brushes come loose). I think only three or four hairs came loose as they were attached to a small dot of squeezed out glue.

How did I do this?
First I wrapped the hair tightly with a thin cardboard piece, held together with some rubber bands. Then I made a few small cut with a fine saw, careful not to cut into the knot. I did three cuts altogether. The were slightly angled. Now I used a screwdriver and inserted it into the saw cut and twisted it. The handle material was shattering like glass, very sharp edges. Do not drop any of these brushes, the handle will shatter easily.
The handle parts that were still attached to the knot were removed with pliers. Here is the knot after the successful operation:

Merkur25
09-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Wow great work! I never thought that would be possible.

JPDyson
09-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey, Rudy - I'd love to see the outcome and hear about how this knot feels post-op. I think it would be great with a 45mm loft in a snug channel :thumbup:

Joe Edson
09-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey, Rudy - I'd love to see the outcome and hear about how this knot feels post-op. I think it would be great with a 45mm loft in a snug channel :thumbup:

Well I'll let you know how it feels at 42mm loft and post some pics and performance in the brush forum :thumbup:

Merkur25
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Well I'll let you know how it feels at 42mm loft and post some pics and performance in the brush forum :thumbup:

Im excited! Cant wait to hear!

hometownhero
09-18-2010, 10:39 AM
This is completely random, but I saw your current logo and had an idea for an alternative:

Thoughts?

Wow that is nice. I want that on my brush now.

55dougie
09-20-2010, 01:06 PM

I'll be watching for a full report and photos.... :thumbup1:

DracZ
09-24-2010, 10:36 PM
It looks like Rudy has decided to go with your logo, DracZ. Congrats!

Hopefully you guys were able to work out a little trade!

To be honest it was just something I did as a fun project with some spare time I had, nothing was asked for in return - I'm just a fan of his work :) Rudy being the gentleman he is simply asked for my postal address at the end of it all and just over a week later a small package arrives all the way at my doorstep here in Australia:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1880/frontvnp.jpg

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2720/sidev.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2441/bottomside.jpg

TGN Finest Badger 22mm in Red Boxelder Burl :001_tt1:

Thanks very much Rudy! Absolutely thrilled with my very own RV Custom. The pictures don't do it justice, it is even more stunning in person!

engdom
09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
wow. that's a brush you can be proud of. I'm loving the logo in the wood too. verry nice indeed.

Sparafucile
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks very much Rudy! Absolutely thrilled with my very own RV Custom. The pictures don't do it justice, it is even more stunning in person!

Enjoy using it, it's beautiful! I too have been thrilled with my Rudy Vey custom - I never use my Simpson's chubby any more!

ctkelly
09-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I had contacted rudy about a vulfix 41 clone in irish bog oak, two band finest....unfortunately he did not have a piece large enough for this project. I asked to have it done in butterscotch acrylic, which he was happy to do and gave me a few options hair wise.....at 8 this morning I had confirmed what I wanted.....at 4pm rudy had the piece set and waiting approval. Wow, talk about fast! I can't wait to receive it, pictures look awesome. And the price was very very fair imo, I can't see any real reason to go with a big name brush when rudy can turn out an excellent custom product fast and "cheap"!

Merkur25
09-26-2010, 03:38 PM
To be honest it was just something I did as a fun project with some spare time I had, nothing was asked for in return - I'm just a fan of his work :) Rudy being the gentleman he is simply asked for my postal address at the end of it all and just over a week later a small package arrives all the way at my doorstep here in Australia:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1880/frontvnp.jpg

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2720/sidev.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2441/bottomside.jpg

Wow that brush looks amazing! I think the logo looks great too.

letsdisinfect
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
yeah, that logo looks fantastic!

Bit2
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Can we send our Brushes back to get the logo on them?

JB

bbarton713
09-28-2010, 07:14 PM
I see the term 'stabilized' in some of the brush descriptions. What does that mean when talking about a brush?

Loric
09-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I see the term 'stabilized' in some of the brush descriptions. What does that mean when talking about a brush?

"Wood Stabilization is pressure impregnation process with a heat curable polymer resin, and has many potential benefits:

# Brings out the beauty of the wood by adding contrast to the grain and figuring.
# Reduce end grain tear out
# Hardens soft or spalted woods
# Significantly reduces effects of humidity changes
# Reduces finishing time (varies with species)
# Greatly improved dimensional stability for burls and highly figured woods
# Please note that stabilizing will not repair cracks and holes"

-lifted from a web page on the subject

bbarton713
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks! I was too busy drooling while looking at his website to use Google. :lol::lol::lol:

Loric
09-28-2010, 07:30 PM
No worries, I had a good idea, but to be honest I was curious too.

It think we have all fallen pray to that a time or too. I would love a "glass jar" I just dont know what knot to have put in it.

Rudy Vey
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Can we send our Brushes back to get the logo on them?

JB

We are working on a solution to hold the finished brush while engraving. The handles are just set on their top, but the hair would not allow this, even stiff boar hair...:lol:
As soon as we have a way, I let you guys know.

Rudy Vey
09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
"Wood Stabilization is pressure impregnation process with a heat curable polymer resin, and has many potential benefits:

# Brings out the beauty of the wood by adding contrast to the grain and figuring.
# Reduce end grain tear out
# Hardens soft or spalted woods
# Significantly reduces effects of humidity changes
# Reduces finishing time (varies with species)
# Greatly improved dimensional stability for burls and highly figured woods
# Please note that stabilizing will not repair cracks and holes"

-lifted from a web page on the subject

Thanks for posting this explanation, I am a bit limited right now with internet access as I am out of the country on business (in my real job...):001_rolle

Loric
10-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for posting this explanation, I am a bit limited right now with internet access as I am out of the country on business (in my real job...):001_rolle

Anytime, its the least I could do after you have fed me invaluable info on multiple occasions.

azmark
10-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I love my RV's:w00t:

I can't wait until Christmas gets closer:thumbup:

bandg
10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
RV: Sent you an e-mail about doing surgery on my BK4.:thumbup1:Regards, Bradley

Poodle Soup
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Early B day present from my wonderful girl friend! :w00t:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/drag5478/3.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/drag5478/1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/drag5478/2.jpg

PS. Is the arko a shave stick? haven't opened it yet

bbarton713
10-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Early B day present from my wonderful girl friend! :w00t:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/drag5478/3.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/drag5478/1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/drag5478/2.jpg

PS. Is the arko a shave stick? haven't opened it yet

Awesome present and yes, that is an Arko Shave stick!

bandg
10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Rudy: Feel free to post pictures of my brush when done. Otherwise, I will have to have one of my kids do it for me.:blush:Regards, Bradley

bbarton713
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I can't wait for this brush to arrive! It looks great, Rudy! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rudy Vey
10-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Rudy: Feel free to post pictures of my brush when done. Otherwise, I will have to have one of my kids do it for me.:blush:Regards, Bradley

Here is my second Kent BK4 "surgery". Bradley sent me the Kent brush and I performed the same operation I did before on another Kent BK4: removal of the knot and then installing it at a decent ( say "usable") loft so the brush can be used for face lathering. The loft of the "new" Kent/RV BK4 is 48 mm.
The new handle is made from a piece of exceptional gorgeous piece of natural gold colored stabilized Boxelder Burl in the Tulip shape.

bandg
10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Rudy: Thanks for doing such a beautiful job improving my BK4! I liked the brush before, but know that I will love the Kent/RV. Lucky me.:thumbup: Regards, Bradley

73mountaineer
10-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Wow, that handle is drop-dead gorgeous! :w00t: Nice work, Rudy! :thumbup1:

- Steve :001_cool:

internet
10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Mr. Vey, what is your favorite high-end brand brush?:blushing:

bbarton713
10-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I just got my brush back after sending it in for a reknot and couldn't be happier! Aside from the swift and professional service, the brush comes back packed in a well padded container and in a box with the brush wrapped in tissue paper and bubble wrap. It was a professional and friendly transaction all around.

I've given it a few washes tonight and will take it for a test run tomorrow and include some pictures in my next update. I just wanted to take time and pass on my thanks for a job well done, Rudy! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Joe Edson
10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Here is my second Kent BK4 "surgery". Bradley sent me the Kent brush and I performed the same operation I did before on another Kent BK4: removal of the knot and then installing it at a decent ( say "usable") loft so the brush can be used for face lathering. The loft of the "new" Kent/RV BK4 is 48 mm.
The new handle is made from a piece of exceptional gorgeous piece of natural gold colored stabilized Boxelder Burl in the Tulip shape.

Look what I started :lol:

I will say my RV BK4 at 45mm is now a face lathering beast. I have the Tulip handle as well.

Rudy does great work!

kooshman7
10-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Kent might as well just start shipping the Kent BK4 knots directly to Rudy. :001_rolle

Hex
10-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Kent might as well just start shipping the Kent BK4 knots directly to Rudy. :001_rolle

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great idea !!!

Rudy Vey
10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Mr. Vey, what is your favorite high-end brand brush?:blushing:

I would say a RV Shaving with a Shavemac D01 Two-band knot in the extreme flat-top shape:lol:
But, I have Rooney's, Simpson's, Saville Row as well as New Forest brushes, I like them all a lot.

Joe Edson
10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I would say a RV Shaving with a Shavemac D01 Two-band knot in the extreme flat-top shape:lol:
But, I have Rooney's, Simpson's, Saville Row as well as New Forest brushes, I like them all a lot.

This really is the best knot available on the market IMHO.

bandg
10-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Look what I started :lol:

Joe: My best ideas are usually not mine.:thumbup1: It was a shame to only reach for that brush once or twice a year. Kent makes a great knot, but too much flop at a ~55mm loft from the factory.

Rudy: Have you ever done surgery on a Rooney? I have a 2/1 Super that might need your touch. Anyway, I am looking forward to my Kent/RV. Bradley

ambrose
10-18-2010, 05:38 PM
:w00t:

woods not even finished yet!

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ambroseshave/IMG_1820copy.jpg

kooshman7
10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like you needed a 3-band D01 flat top knot too huh ambrose? :biggrin1: Looks awesome! :thumbup:

California Cajun
10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
The best looking brush handle I've seen is one you made for a customer in Japan that was white on top and black on bottom. The guy put it up for sale and then withdrew it. I can't justify another brush buy but one of these days I'd love for you to fix one up for me like that. I just love the stark black-white contrast.

ambrose
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Looks like you needed a 3-band D01 flat top knot too huh ambrose? :biggrin1: Looks awesome! :thumbup:

Thank you, yea :lol: I needed something less intense, for the days I feel like something more plush :thumbup:

kooshman7
10-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Definitely less intense and depending on the loft you'll get plush indeed!

Joe Edson
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
A three-band D01 extreme flat top will be the next brush I order, but hopefully I can stave off the bug for awhile.

Looks great Jose. Let us know how it performs.

ambrose
10-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Definitely less intense and depending on the loft you'll get plush indeed!
about 49, plush but no slouch mop :laugh:

A three-band D01 extreme flat top will be the next brush I order, but hopefully I can stave off the bug for awhile.

Looks great Jose. Let us know how it performs.

thank you, might as well start to order it now :001_rolle, and yes sir with pleasure :thumbup1:

bandg
10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
My kent/RV arrived today. All I can say is WOW!:thumbup: Fantastic job, easy transaction, a pleasure. Thanks Rudy, Bradley

weenerdog3443
10-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Very nice work.. I know where I'm getting my next brush. Rudy do you do requests??

weenerdog3443
10-22-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm excited.... After speaking with Rudy for a little bit looks like I will Be getting a 24mm Butterscotch Beehive.

55dougie
10-24-2010, 03:44 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/drkorn/stuff/DSCN0456.jpg

You mean like this? The beehive on the right is a Rudy Vey that he made for me.... You'll love it...

weenerdog3443
10-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Yup just like that.

SP120K
10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/drkorn/stuff/DSCN0456.jpg

You mean like this? The beehive on the right is a Rudy Vey that he made for me.... You'll love it...

How much did that run you? I might place an order for one if it isn't too high. I really like how yours looks!

ezmike
10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
How much did that run you? I might place an order for one if it isn't too high. I really like how yours looks!

I suggest you send Rudy a PM for a price quote. I did and he responds quickly.

Miike

BTW, you're gonna love that brush.

55dougie
10-26-2010, 07:52 AM

Just PM Rudy for a cost estimate..... He is great to deal with and the cost depends a lot on which knot you choose... the one in the photo is a TGN-Silvertip. It's a wonderful brush!

Sparafucile
10-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Just PM Rudy for a cost estimate..... He is great to deal with and the cost depends a lot on which knot you choose...

+1. Dealing with Rudy was a pleasure - and the brush is wonderful!

Rudy Vey
10-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Here is my latest restoration. You all my have seen the thread of MomentoMori in the brushes forum:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172481

Well, he sent the brush to me and I got it today and started the work on it right away. I think it came out quite well, and looks good with the Black Badger knot in it. The knot is a 22 mm knot set at about 49 mm loft.

bbarton713
10-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Wow! That looks amazing!

73mountaineer
10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Here is my latest restoration. You all my have seen the thread of MomentoMori in the brushes forum:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172481

Well, he sent the brush to me and I got it today and started the work on it right away. I think it came out quite well, and looks good with the Black Badger knot in it. The knot is a 22 mm knot set at about 49 mm loft.

That is a gorgeous brush, Rudy! I saw the "before" pics when he originally received it & I am sure it is now the brush he wanted. You do fantastic work!!! :thumbup1:

- Steve :001_cool:

_MementoMori_
10-29-2010, 02:43 PM
It's beautiful. I'm rubbing my face against the image on the monitor in anticipation. Rudy opened the package and restored it immediately!

Merkur25
10-29-2010, 03:36 PM
It's beautiful. I'm rubbing my face against the image on the monitor in anticipation. Rudy opened the package and restored it immediately!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is awesome!

Rudy Vey
10-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Yeah, it was a fun job - I really love this handle!! Wish I can find one for myself.

Drybonz
11-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I have a Rudy Vey brush on the way very soon, and I'm really excited about it. :thumbup:

Elmfuzz
11-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Well, got my custom brush from Rudy a few days ago, and shaved with it a few times.
Only just got round to taking pics- they're a bit rushed, so I apologise.
Here's the best one.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1157/5150589177_985cfbf3d4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/winternet/5150589177/)

It's a TGN 30mm silvertip grade A, set at around 52mm, with a chubby style handle.
Rudy is a genius.
Thanks again!

Loric
11-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Last week I purchased 3 handles from Rudy. All three are exceptional beautiful and even Rudy's pictures hardly do them justice to how nice they look in person.

Here they are, two with temporary knots stuck in for illustration purposes. All three of these are just spectacular. The Tulip and Eagle style handles are both massively oversize (close to a chubby 3 handle for scale) perfect for my brother and I who have big hands. The Tulip was a birthday present that went over very very well!

I have to give worlds of respect to Rudy's skill. I only gave him a picture of the Eagle shape and no guidance on the Tulip other than the name and both are EXACTLY like the originals. Its really amazing that with just a visual image he can duplicate these shapes so perfectly.

My photo skills have prevented me from taking any good pictures with my knots set in them, but if I get some that work I will add them later on. I wound up putting a 22mm TGN Super Silvertip at 44mm loft in the Glass Jar, and a TGN 24mm Extra Stuffed Finest at 50mm loft in both of the others. I'm quite happy with both of mine.

Thank you again Rudy!

Loric
11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I have had a couple requests for pics of my brushes with the knots set, and this still seemed like the place. So with out further ado.

Look at them shine!

Hex
11-12-2010, 04:11 AM
I love that blue "jar" Loric.

Drybonz
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
My Rudy Vey brush arrived today. This picture is the one Mr. Vey took prior to finishing the knot. It looks even better in person. I was going to take some more pics, but I can't get a decent one in my current lighting.

I'm really happy with it... going to get my first shave with it this evening. :thumbup1:

Thank you, Rudy!

*edit* Just got my first shave with this brush... I honestly did not want to stop lathering and start shaving, it was so nice. I did an extra pass tonight just so I could lather up again.

Rudy Vey
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Just an update for my customer that ordered brushes with custom Shavemac knots.
The delivery with FEDEX takes now about two weeks (used to be about 5 days - a week). The shipments are listed for about a week as "delayed clearance" - not sure what this exactly means, but I assume it may have either to do with Fish and Game checks or with increased security for air freighted materials (remember the bomb scare we had a few weeks ago). One of my shipments has cleared and was dropped at my house, the other one is still in "delayed clearance" and I hope to have it before Thanksgiving. The third shipment has not left the factory yet, and I discus with Bernd alternatives for shipping.

I will keep you all updated!

Loric
11-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Thats a bummer about the knots getting held up. Good luck finding a solution to that.

Don Barbiere
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac281/DonBarbiere/07c44ae6.jpg

Here are mine, more pics coming soon,

Thank You Mr.Vey!

weenerdog3443
11-20-2010, 04:18 AM
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac281/DonBarbiere/07c44ae6.jpg

Here are mine, more pics coming soon,

Thank You Mr.Vey!

loving the butterscotch. both are beautiful

BigFoot
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
The first picture is a before the last three are after. It was an old Simms. She looks restored to her natural state. Good job Rudy!:thumbup:

Hex
11-23-2010, 03:54 AM
The first picture is a before the last three are after. It was an old Simms. She looks restored to her natural state. Good job Rudy!:thumbup:

Wow, that's a beauty Scott. I really like how the colors work together.

BigFoot
11-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Wow, that's a beauty Scott. I really like how the colors work together.

That was my initial reaction. When Rudy said he could bring it back to its natural look I was a bit skeptical, but man look at it, I love the way those silver tips contrast it. I can not wait till it gets to Missouri.

Rudy Vey
11-27-2010, 05:35 PM
It was widely discussed in the Shaving brushes forum that several of other brushes are sold in the bulb form, but the pictures we see on different sites are more the fan shaped knots. If someone, like I do, prefer a fan shaped knot in a brush, I am not very happy if my brush shows up with a bulb shaped, or even a very pointy knot. Here is a picture of three Shavemac knots I have waiting to be put into my custom handles. The one on the left side is the bulb shape. The middle one is the (standard) fan shaped knot. The knot on the very right is what I call the extreme Flattop, or extreme fan shaped knot.

Also, if you are going with the extreme flattop, go a number smaller than you think. This knot has a lot of hair in your face!! Personally, I have a 19 mm knot and would recommend not go over 22 mm, I think the perfect size for a face latherer would be 20 mm. I had one customer going with a 24 mm knot, and it is huge. I think a standard brush would be well over 30 mm knot size to come even close with the amount of hair that is on your face:tongue_sm

I hope this little "educational" piece helps you to decide which knot shape is the best for you.

pelotonjon
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
what loft would you recommend for the 19mm flat-top extreme?

weenerdog3443
11-28-2010, 04:01 AM
thats it made up my mind I want one of the 24mm extreme flat top knots.

Rudy Vey
11-28-2010, 04:41 AM
what loft would you recommend for the 19mm flat-top extreme?

Mine is a 41 mm loft and I love it. I would say for the 19 mm, a loft of 40-42 is perfect.

BigFoot
11-28-2010, 08:58 AM
I got my Simms back yesterday. It looks even better in person.:thumbup: Shaved with it last night.:thumbup1: I must say Finest Badger is a bit different feel than cheap boar.:thumbup::thumbup:

Great Job Rudy......Thanks.

Joe Edson
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
It was widely discussed in the Shaving brushes forum that several of other brushes are sold in the bulb form, but the pictures we see on different sites are more the fan shaped knots. If someone, like I do, prefer a fan shaped knot in a brush, I am not very happy if my brush shows up with a bulb shaped, or even a very pointy knot. Here is a picture of three Shavemac knots I have waiting to be put into my custom handles. The one on the left side is the bulb shape. The middle one is the (standard) fan shaped knot. The knot on the very right is what I call the extreme Flattop, or extreme fan shaped knot.

Also, if you are going with the extreme flattop, go a number smaller than you think. This knot has a lot of hair in your face!! Personally, I have a 19 mm knot and would recommend not go over 22 mm, I think the perfect size for a face latherer would be 20 mm. I had one customer going with a 24 mm knot, and it is huge. I think a standard brush would be well over 30 mm knot size to come even close with the amount of hair that is on your face:tongue_sm

I hope this little "educational" piece helps you to decide which knot shape is the best for you.

I have a 23-24mm extreme flat top, but my loft is only 42-43mm so it works quite well on my face and doesn't feel too large. I still think it is breaking in after over a month of use (though admittedly not everyday).

Truly a magnificent knot though.

BigFoot
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey all,

I posted pics of this retoration Rudy did for me a while back. I wanted to post another picture of it starting to bloom. I will post another when she hits maturity.

Drybonz
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey all,

I posted pics of this retoration Rudy did for me a while back. I wanted to post another picture of it starting to bloom. I will post another when she hits maturity.

Looks really great, man. :thumbup1:

I have a couple Ever-Ready handles coming in off the bay, and I'm thinking about getting one of the flat-tops in one to make it really unique.

BigFoot
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Looks really great, man. :thumbup1:

I have a couple Ever-Ready handles coming in off the bay, and I'm thinking about getting one of the flat-tops in one to make it really unique.

I think that would look awesome!

Drybonz
12-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I think that would look awesome!

Hold on, I will post a pic of the one handle I want to use... you guys tell me what you think.

*edit* What do you think? Extreme flat-top?

BigFoot
12-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Hold on, I will post a pic of the one handle I want to use... you guys tell me what you think.

That would look awesome, and indeed be a very unique brush with a flat top. I would go for it.:thumbup:

Drybonz
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM

Well, this one showed up in the mail today... the handle is in great condition, but man it is really tiny. I'm not sure now, what the best route is to go with this one. What is typically the best replacement knot for a very small brush handle?

BigFoot
12-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I would PM Rudy and see what he thinks.

Rudy Vey
12-11-2010, 08:54 AM

This is a beautiful handle, and I think an extreme Flattop would look good in it!!

Drybonz
12-11-2010, 09:29 AM
This is a beautiful handle, and I think an extreme Flattop would look good in it!!

Thanks, Rudy.

My second Ever-Ready handle arrived in the mail. It's a similar clear lucite, but normal size and has a hexagonal shape (pictured below). I think what I have decided to do is to put the flat-top in the larger one and I want to use the tiny brush as a Proraso pre-shave scoop. I guess what I would need for that is a semi-tall stiff knot... maybe a synthetic?

BigFoot
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
OK Rudy, I have $5.00 wrapped up in these two brushes. Can you make em pretty. PM me with some ideas.

Rudy Vey
12-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Guys two things I want to write about here today.
The first is about your brushes sent in for restoration. Please, put a little note, or a business card with your information inside the box with the brush (should contain you name, also your B+B screen name if you are from here, and your address, and if possible a quick description of what should be done). I am getting a lot of boxes with nothing but the brush inside. Sometimes the hand written sender info is not readable, and it takes quite some detective work to match to the owner.

Secondly, an old brush can be sometimes very brittle and may crack or even totally break when working on it. I am very careful when I work on your brush, but sometimes the worst thing can happen. I had two cases where this happened. This really is upsetting to the customer and myself. There are some old brushes out there that feel solid and heavy, but in reality the material is only as thick as an eggshell!! And do not forget, the old types of plastics and resins have aged over time and sometimes are really brittle.
So, please understand there is always a little risk involved....

weenerdog3443
12-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Guys two things I want to write about here today.
The first is about your brushes sent in for restoration. Please, put a little note, or a business card with your information inside the box with the brush (should contain you name, also your B+B screen name if you are from here, and your address, and if possible a quick description of what should be done). I am getting a lot of boxes with nothing but the brush inside. Sometimes the hand written sender info is not readable, and it takes quite some detective work to match to the owner.

Secondly, an old brush can be sometimes very brittle and may crack or even totally break when working on it. I am very careful when I work on your brush, but sometimes the worst thing can happen. I had two cases where this happened. This really is upsetting to the customer and myself. There are some old brushes out there that feel solid and heavy, but in reality the material is only as thick as an eggshell!! And do not forget, the old types of plastics and resins have aged over time and sometimes are really brittle.
So, please understand there is always a little risk involved....

It is sad but it does happen. Had it happen to me even on brushes I thought would be fine.

Hex
12-19-2010, 06:50 AM
It is sad but it does happen. Had it happen to me even on brushes I thought would be fine.

+1

I had this happen twice on handles I was re-doing. Even being very careful, and Rudy goes beyond very careful, they sometimes break.

kbuzbee
12-19-2010, 01:19 PM
First, let me add to all the positive comments, Rudy is a true gentleman and great to deal with....

Now... This little fella is being glued as I type and with any luck should be here around Christmas:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/kbuzbee/8c23a8a3.png

30mm STA

What do you think?

I'll post pics with it's siblings once it arrives.

Ken

kooshman7
12-19-2010, 03:08 PM
First, let me add to all the positive comments, Rudy is a true gentleman and great to deal with....

Now... This little fella is being glued as I type and with any luck should be here around Christmas:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/kbuzbee/8c23a8a3.png

30mm STA

What do you think?

I'll post pics with it's siblings once it arrives.

Ken

Nice looking brush Ken! It looks pretty similar to a Kent BLK 12! Was this intentional?

kbuzbee
12-19-2010, 03:49 PM
It was! By far my favorite handle shape!

Ken

BigFoot
12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Good looking brush!!!!

To respond to Rudy's post I have two I would love to send him. The more I have looked at them I do not believe they would survive a restoration. So they shall stay in my display in an unusable condition.

There will be more.:thumbup1:

Crag
12-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I got a Rudy Vey brush and so far I am very pleased with it. It is a 2-band finest with a TGN 22mm knot and 45mm loft. It has huge backbone, is soft on the face and an overall great performer!. It even makes short work of Walgreen's Williams (I have very HARD water).

I am very pleased with it, so for around half the price of a Name Brand brush I got a well engineered brush made by a German Master Brush Maker with the handle design I wanted, the type of knot I wanted, and the loft I wanted. I didn't have to settle at all, and I got to see the actual brush I was buying before I paid, which is a HUGE plus!

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=23681

It bloomed just a little since this pic, but that's what I expected from such a short loft and dense knot. Order a brush from Rudy. You will not be disappointed at all! :thumbup:

Hex
12-21-2010, 02:35 PM
That looks like a monster scrubber Matt, a veritable soap destroyer, besides being quite handsome.

You made a wise choice.

kehern
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I got a Rudy Vey brush and so far I am very pleased with it. It is a 2-band finest with a TGN 22mm knot and 45mm loft. It has huge backbone, is soft on the face and an overall great performer!. It even makes short work of Walgreen's Williams (I have very HARD water).

I am very pleased with it, so for around half the price of a Name Brand brush I got a well engineered brush made by a German Master Brush Maker with the handle design I wanted, the type of knot I wanted, and the loft I wanted. I didn't have to settle at all, and I got to see the actual brush I was buying before I paid, which is a HUGE plus!

It bloomed just a little since this pic, but that's what I expected from such a short loft and dense knot. Order a brush from Rudy. You will not be disappointed at all! :thumbup:

That looks really nice, and quite similar to what I was looking for. Even though it is meant for face lathering and soap, how does it do with cream and/or bowl lathering?

Crag
12-22-2010, 09:08 AM
That looks really nice, and quite similar to what I was looking for. Even though it is meant for face lathering and soap, how does it do with cream and/or bowl lathering?
VERY Well. I lather in a 3" hand thrown bowl I got from the swap meet and it makes mounds of lather. You know you have a good bowl brush when you start to swirl it and it makes lather explode up to the top of the bowl..I scrape it down and continue to aerate it until I get stiff peaks. It's a great all-around brush for sure.:thumbup1:

kbuzbee
12-27-2010, 10:33 AM
So a couple shaves under my belt with this RV and it's amazing.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/kbuzbee/rv1.jpg

Very different from my other brushes. It is VERY dense and has a ton of backbone which makes it feel much smaller than it's 30mm knot would indicate. In fact it feels much smaller than the other two pictured here. (also see my Christmas present, a bowl of GFT Eucris, which is lovely! And my favorite DE, the Feather AS)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/kbuzbee/rv2.jpg

Kent BLK12 and Shavemac 227XXL. Of course it's stiffer than the Kent but it's even stiffer than the Shavemec, probably due to the short (relatively) loft. The tips are the softest of the three. I wanted the handle to be as close as possible the the Kent as that is my favorite and fits my hand like it was designed for it. This comes very close. It isn't quite as narrow as the Kent at the waist but it's close enough to be very comfortable.

I really can't describe the feel of this brush on my face but, if you can imagine, it feels like a soft, slightly flexible "log" as opposed to individual bristles of a brush. It presents a unified surface that is luxuriously soft. And it generates a TON of great lather (so far from KK and the Eucris, AOS on deck)

Anyway, it's a terrific brush and a great value. Thanks Rudy!

Ken

PanchoVilla
12-28-2010, 02:16 PM

YES, thanks for the pic Crag. Not more than a few minutes ago, I satisfied my AD for the rest of 2010. I've ordered your brush in Ivory w/ a 24mm knot. :thumbup:

eta: I hope you don't mind my copying your brush. It just really looks sweet.

Crag
12-29-2010, 01:03 PM
No not at all...It's very flattering and you will be very happy with it I'm sure!

BigFoot
12-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Picked these 3 brushes up today. I liked the looks of them. Think you can work with them Rudy? Left to right they are: Baton, Everready, and a no name.

PanchoVilla
01-01-2011, 12:03 PM
No not at all...It's very flattering and you will be very happy with it I'm sure!

Matt, Here she is:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/bobniemann/IMG_1973.jpg

churchilllafemme
01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting these two new brushes from Rudy. The first is a cobalt blue PJ in fan-shaped two-band finest, with 24mm knot and 51-52mm loft, and the second is a butterscotch Klenzo clone (semi-chubby) in bulb-shaped super silvertip grade A, with 22mm knot and 50-51mm loft, both based on brushes seen on the forum. I can hardly wait to have these in hand!

Pkrankow
01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
We are working on a solution to hold the finished brush while engraving. The handles are just set on their top, but the hair would not allow this, even stiff boar hair...:lol:
As soon as we have a way, I let you guys know.

Stuff the brush through a roll of toilet paper. You can squish the roll to hold smaller brushes.

Phil

The Count of Merkur Cristo
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Rudy:
In the attachment enclosed, I was looking to have these 2 Ever-Ready's restored (and you're just the man to do it :thumbup:) .

Is it possible to transplant the knots (I love these broken-in knots), from 1 Parker Black Badger and 1 Caswell-Massey Pure Badger brushes to the handles above (the old handle conditions [cut, broken, sawed, ect...], after the restores would not important to me...so long as the knots can come out cleanly)?

Or would a better idea is to have 1 Black Badger & 1 two-band finest Badger... both with fan shaped knots, 22mm knot and 50mm lofts installed in the above handles?

You can PM me with price estimates, shipping info, payment detail, comments, ideas ect... :laugh:

Christopher :badger:

PS Sorry about not sending a PM because you can't add attachents (pics)

Rudy Vey
01-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Rudy:
In the attachment enclosed, I was looking to have these 2 Ever-Ready's restored (and you're just the man to do it :thumbup:) .

Is it possible to transplant the knots (I love these broken-in knots), from 1 Parker Black Badger and 1 Caswell-Massey Pure Badger brushes to the handles above (the old handle conditions [cut, broken, sawed, ect...], after the restores would not important to me...so long as the knots can come out cleanly)?

Or would a better idea is to have 1 Black Badger & 1 two-band finest Badger... both with fan shaped knots, 22mm knot and 50mm lofts installed in the above handles?

You can PM me with price estimates, shipping info, payment detail, comments, ideas ect... :laugh:

Christopher :badger:

PS Sorry about not sending a PM because you can't add attachents (pics)

Transplanting knots from used brushes is always a bit risky. I have done a number of transplants from Kent's, i.e. removed the knots and then put them in new handles. This was quite doable as the Kent knots are sitting in a kind of plastic sleeve/cup and have not been glued directly to the handle with the hair. In your case, I would go with new knots.

The Count of Merkur Cristo
01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
This is the awesome Restoration work done by Rudy, the Master himself :thumbup1:

The Every Ready Restored Brushes 1-4 pics (from left to right);

Pic 1;

The brushes as they arrived. The red brush on the left is a EverReady 300PBT Pure Badger (needed to be restored...most of the hairs were falling out due to age), & the blue one on right is a Ever-Ready 200T Boar.

Pic 2;

Both Brushes with their hair cut off.

Pic 3;

Both Brushes drilled out.

Pic 4;

The Restorted Brushes with new knots set in the handles.

16mm - 46mm loft Best Badger in the red handle on the left & 20mm Finest Badger - 50mm loft in the blue handle on the right.

Christopher http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/SerraTijn/smileys/smiley_shaving.gif

PS Great work Rudy :biggrin1:

kbuzbee
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2731093#post2731093

Ken

Intrigued
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I have this brush that I want Rudy to restore.

The Owl
140981 http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZOWM6Gb4sk8clxjm9rEo2zOCDvb8NN D9sAVl157H8a6iGo1Nw

I'm thinking that a three banded extreme flattop like the one in this brush made for Ambrose would be perfect.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ambroseshave/IMG_1820copy.jpg

What do you think?

lz6
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Received this beautiful brush from Mr. Vey today! Can't wait for the next shave.

Drybonz
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Received this beautiful brush from Mr. Vey today! Can't wait for the next shave.

Wow... that is nice. What is the material/color?

DymondCutter
01-13-2011, 07:01 PM

What are the specs on the knot? That handle is beautiful with very sleek curves. Very, very nice. :thumbup:

LittleStropper
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Thoughts?

I think that's an awesome logo! I might replace the word "shaving" with "brushes" though - as it is such an unusual service.

Hex
01-14-2011, 03:26 AM
What are the specs on the knot? That handle is beautiful with very sleek curves. Very, very nice. :thumbup:

+2

I really like that shape and color.:thumbup:

lz6
01-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Wow... that is nice. What is the material/color?

It's the red/bronze acrylic with a 22mm finest silvertip. Used it last evening
and it performed as well as my shavemac. Rudy does not only functional but
beautiful work as well.

Drummer2177
01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Rudy finished my brush today, I cant wait to get it!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/drummer2177/IMG_2015-1.jpg

Thanks Rudy!

DymondCutter
01-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Here is my new brush Rudy made for me. It is a 22mm super silvertip TGN knot. I tried to stay away from the traditional Chubby shape and Rudy tweeked it to get it just right for me. He went way far and beyond to make me happy. I can't wait to try it out. I decided to name this one Mr. Moneybags. :001_tongu

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/JD_Berry/IMG_2018.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/JD_Berry/IMG_2017.jpg

randolphcarter
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
All of Rudy's brushes that I've seen are beautiful and luxuriously functional! I'm expecting a brush from him next week; it'll be a 22mm Silver Tip in a faux ivory beehive. Yeah! I'll post pics when it arrives.

Rudy Vey
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
All of Rudy's brushes that I've seen are beautiful and luxuriously functional! I'm expecting a brush from him next week; it'll be a 22mm Silver Tip in a faux ivory beehive. Yeah! I'll post pics when it arrives.

Just packed it and it ships tomorrow!

pizzaguy
01-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Nice

Merkur25
01-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Here is my new brush Rudy made for me. It is a 22mm super silvertip TGN knot. I tried to stay away from the traditional Chubby shape and Rudy tweeked it to get it just right for me. He went way far and beyond to make me happy. I can't wait to try it out. I decided to name this one Mr. Moneybags. :001_tongu

That is a sweet handle

DymondCutter
01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
That is a sweet handle

I am trying to wait patiently till it gets here but it is not working. :w00t:

55dougie
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Folks, just finished my first shave with my new RV Custom brush, wonderful. Here are a couple of photo's and spec's...

22 mm TGN Finest Badger
50 mm loft
100 mm tall
Jade Green Handle Retro-Style
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/drkorn/stuff/IMG_2010.jpg

My SOTD today!
Razor: Zwilling, Derby blade
Brush: Rudy Vey Custom Badger (post shave)
Lather: Proraso
Aftershave: Proraso ASB and Clubman
other: Dirty Bird Scuttle

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/drkorn/stuff/DSCN0014.jpg

letsdisinfect
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm absolutely DIGGING that jade green handle! Another home-run by Rudy!

kingfisher
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM

LOVE this one.

I'm guessing that the base of it is an acrylic resin? Very nice.

DymondCutter
01-21-2011, 01:17 PM
LOVE this one.

I'm guessing that the base of it is an acrylic resin? Very nice.

You are right. It looks even more amazing in person seeing all the shredded money in there too. The weight and size its perfect and just what I wanted! :thumbup1:

SirWhiskers
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Here's my "Eagle Vey". Specs:

Eagle type handle, 42mm height
20mm/44mm TGN Super Badger fan knot

I tried it today and the knot is very dense and soft, it feels very luxurious. I wish it had just a tad bit more backbone. However, it seems to hold a lot of water, the brush feels heavier than other brushes when soaked, even though it has a small knot. The fan shape makes it feel bigger, just the right size for me. Apparently this is a relatively new TGN knot, I think it works better with a short loft.

As usual, Rudy does outstanding work!

Jethro1984
01-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Those fan knots do seem to be different. They seem to be 3-band, the bulb shape finests are 2-band.

SirWhiskers
01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Yes, they are 3 band, apparently new. See all the TGN knots here (http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9).

As far as I can tell only the Finest and these new Super Badger come in fan shape.

I didn't get a bulb shape because from my past experience I found bulb with a short loft to end up looking like a spike.

Loric
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM

That brush is beautiful! What is the handle made of? The razor is beautiful too. :blink: *stunned*

brianw
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I received this Yesterday. Shavemac knot set at 44.... 22mm knot, handle is Sambar Antler.... used first time today.....absolutely Phenomenal !!!!

Rudy Vey
01-26-2011, 03:25 AM
This is a teaser only, a new project we are working on....stay tuned for more updates.

Hex
01-26-2011, 04:41 AM
This is a teaser only, a new project we are working on....stay tuned for more updates.

Rudy, I think I am having Deja Vu all over again.

The blue and white brush is identical to one I have except mine is a darker color blue. Amazing.

BigFoot
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM

I will add this to it. You may see these brushes appear again at a later date. :thumbup:

Vlad
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
This is a kbuzbee/Heritage XL-inspired 30mm face-lathering monster. Yes, that's right, this thing is bypassing the bowl. I can't wait until it gets here! Put it in the mail, Rudy!

Explanation forthcoming in Sabbatical thread

DymondCutter
01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
This is a kbuzbee/Heritage XL-inspired 30mm face-lathering monster. Yes, that's right, this thing is bypassing the bowl. I can't wait until it gets here! Put it in the mail, Rudy!

That thing looks like a beast! :laugh:

What is the loft at?

kbuzbee
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Sweet, VLAD! That's gonna ROCK!

Can't wait til you lather that bad boy up!

Ken

Hex
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
OMG Vlad, Ken has infected you. There must be something to this monstrous brush addiction.

Vlad
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
That thing looks like a beast! :laugh:

What is the loft at?

Shooting for under 50mm, probably 48.

OMG Vlad, Ken has infected you. There must be something to this monstrous brush addiction.

Don't even ask, dude. I don't want to talk about it.

kbuzbee
01-27-2011, 02:23 PM

He was already strolling along the slippery slope:wink2:. I just gave him a little nudge:thumbup:

Don't even ask, dude. I don't want to talk about it.

:thumbup:
:lol:

Ken

kooshman7
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
He was already strolling along the slippery slope:wink2:. I just gave him a little nudge:thumbup:

With friends like you, who needs enemies? :lol::wink2:

kbuzbee
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
With friends like you, who needs enemies? :lol::wink2:

Always try to be as helpful as I can be!:thumbup:

Ken

SirWhiskers
01-27-2011, 04:47 PM
2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical Enforcer-----I'm watching you.

I see that's working well for you :smile: Ah, you're just the enforcer... Don't do like Vlad does, do like Vlad says :smile:

kbuzbee
01-28-2011, 05:05 AM
I see that's working well for you :smile: Ah, you're just the enforcer... Don't do like Vlad does, do like Vlad says :smile:

It's like being a member of congress. You write the laws. You aren't subject to them!:lol:

Ken

Vlad
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM

It's like being a member of congress. You write the laws. You aren't subject to them!:lol:

Ken

I knew I was going to catch grief over this. :blush:

kbuzbee
01-28-2011, 06:27 AM
I knew I was going to catch grief over this. :blush:

All in good fun, brother:thumbup: We're only human, after all! Resistance is futile!:lol:

Ken

Hex
01-28-2011, 06:40 AM

Hums a few bars of:

" I feel the earth move under my feet "

There has been a shift in the universe when a Sabbatical Officer falls into disgrace. Not saying that Vlad did or not, just wondering. :huh:

Intrigued
01-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Vlad, is that a GN or a Shavemac knot in that beauty? You have some wiggle room here, as you did make some exceptions on your sabbatical. :lol:

My exceptions
Rooney Heritage--If I get a can't-pass-up deal, I might have to take it.
Shavemac D01 two-band--I'm not sure I really want one, but I might.
Group buys--There's been some talk about different things, and if one I like materializes, I'm treating myself.

Vlad
01-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Vlad, is that a GN or a Shavemac knot in that beauty? You have some wiggle room here, as you did make some exceptions on your sabbatical. :lol:

GN. Shavemac would have been lovely, but cost-prohibitive.

Fbones24
01-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Here is my Rudy Vey. I got the extra stuffed Finest Knot from TGN. It is 24mm set at 46mm loft. The handle is marbled butterscotch, Eagle shape.

Rudy had the brush to me about one week after we first spoke. He was the most responsive vendor I have dealt with and would not hesitate to get a brush from him in the future again.

PrimeCipher
01-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Just used the brush I recently purchased from Rudy Vey and saying that I'm simply impressed is an understatement.

Whomever is on the fence about purchasing one from Rudy, don't be. It is one of the greatest purchases I've made. Thank you Rudy!

Greg1911
01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Here is my Rudy Vey. I got the extra stuffed Finest Knot from TGN. It is 24mm set at 46mm loft. The handle is marbled butterscotch, Eagle shape.

Rudy had the brush to me about one week after we first spoke. He was the most responsive vendor I have dealt with and would not hesitate to get a brush from him in the future again.

HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA!!!

I thought I needed a butterscotch and this post confirms it.

Rudy, Will you work with a customer supplied knot? I have a 24 x 45mm one that needs a home.

kingfisher
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM

that is gorgeous! MARBLED BUTTERSCOTCH!?!! Wow. :w00t:

Drybonz
02-01-2011, 10:19 PM
This is a kbuzbee/Heritage XL-inspired 30mm face-lathering monster.

Man... I love my 26mm, but this is really making me want a 30.

TonyN
02-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Man... I love my 26mm, but this is really making me want a 30.

I currently have a Rooney 3/1 "Super" Silvertip which is a nice brush. I'm talking with Rudy about a 26mm ST/A and will probably go with a handle like KBuzbee's. I just have to decide on what color to go with. I want one with a little more backbone, yet soft tips. What is the loft is your 26mm?

Vlad
02-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Brush is here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2804461#post2804461

alabamalawyer
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Here are two Rudy just finished for me. They have each been lathered once. One is 22 mm TGN black badger set in a Polo-style butterscotch handle and the other is a 28 mm TGN Silvertip set in a BK-12-style handle.
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=24436

lz6
02-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Those are both very nice. The black badger is striking. Enjoy!

sandmountainslim
02-05-2011, 06:02 PM
My beaten English Gillette Standard (possibly made by Rooney) before

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/sandmountainslim/Mobile%20Uploads/1007091930a.jpg

and AFTER Rudy restored it with an 18mm Finest knot

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs262.snc6/179025_1875061116455_1239022746_2328211_103796_n.j pg

Very fast turnaround and wonderful communication.
Highly Recommended !
Wp

California Cajun
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
My beaten English Gillette Standard (possibly made by Rooney) before

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/sandmountainslim/Mobile%20Uploads/1007091930a.jpg

and AFTER Rudy restored it with an 18mm Finest knot

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs262.snc6/179025_1875061116455_1239022746_2328211_103796_n.j pg

Very fast turnaround and wonderful communication.
Highly Recommended !
Wp

That's a beauty. I love the black-white contrast. :thumbup1:

SirWhiskers
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Look at that, a 4-band brush!

TonyN
02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Rudy just finished a 26mm STA knot in a BK-12 faux ivory style handle set at a 50mm loft. :w00t:He'll do the engraving tomorrow and ship it out. Rudy was a pleasure to work with, especially with all the questions I had. :thumbup:

alabamalawyer
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Nice looking brush!

TonyN
02-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice looking brush!

So are the 2 you have Chris. Rudy does some really nice work!

DunEdinRanger
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Rudy does outstanding work, and is pleasure to work with, but going through these posts may kick in some SBAD...

Merkur25
02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Rudy does outstanding work, and is pleasure to work with, but going through these posts may kick in some SBAD...

+1,000

Just got SBAD.....Im sending out my Vintage Plisson shortly to get a brand new D01 knot. Stay tuned......

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/Merkur25/photo6.jpg
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/Merkur25/photo5.jpg

SirWhiskers
02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Just got SBAD.....Im sending out my Vintage Plisson shortly to get a brand new D01 knot. Stay tuned......

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/Merkur25/photo6.jpg

That's such a nice handle! Please post photos when done. Going with a 2 or 3 band D01?

Merkur25
02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
That's such a nice handle! Please post photos when done. Going with a 2 or 3 band D01?

Not quite sure yet. Any opinion on which one to go with?

I never owned a Shavemac before.....

TonyN
02-07-2011, 06:41 PM

+1. It's a really nice handle!

Rudy Vey
02-12-2011, 06:05 PM
In the Shaving brushes forum someone asked the question about the ranking (grading) of the TGN knots. Especially it was asked where the Two-Band Finest is ranked in the line-up.
Well, I do rank the Two-Band finest quite high, right up in the Silvertip Grade A (STA) range. Why is this??
It is a totally different hair the knots are made from, a thicker hair. It has quite some backbone, but soft tips. A total different type in comparison to the STA. A lot of the top line brushes of the famous makers are made with Two-band finest hair. Rooney called them "Finest" as well, the name for the high-end Simpsons is "Super" for their version of the Two-Band.
At Shavemac the top quality hair is the D01 Two-band version, I think Bernd calls them "Silvertip D01 Two Band".

You see, a lot of the high end brushes are using the two band hair. I my opinion for soaps and face lather it is the best hair grade. Out of my eight brushes, five are two-band Finest. The three non-Two-band are also short, densely packed Best (Eagle) or Super Silvertip (Rooney 1/1) and a Shavemac bulb (for creams).

Here is my ranking scale of the TGN knots:
pure (low end)
Best
Silvertip
Super Badger
Silvertip Grade A for me this is equal to the two-band finest
Super Silvertip (pretty much a STA, just a bit softer)

The Superbadgers are very soft, and might be floppy to some, they need to be set at a low loft when used for soaps and face lather.

sandmountainslim
02-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Excellent summary! You completely answered the question I had.
Wp

Greg1911
02-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Rudy, Do you think the 2-band knots need to be as dense as silvertip?

I have a 2 band brush with moderate density but it seems to be the hairs themselves (thicker shafts, soft tips) that give it backbone. The brush is not a lather hog and is really nice to use.

TonyN
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Another beautiful brush by Rudy with some really nice marbling in the handle and really soft tips. It's a 26mm ST/A at a 50mm loft.

SirWhiskers
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
That bottom photo looks like a puck of soap. For a second I thought Rudy got into the artisan soap business :smile:

TonyN
02-14-2011, 07:38 PM
That bottom photo looks like a puck of soap. For a second I thought Rudy got into the artisan soap business :smile:

Nice Logo engraved in the handle!

Koschmar
02-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Rudy just made my first (non-crappy) brush. He was a lot of help since I really don't know much about brushes. I have a sensitive face and so he tailored everything nicely to my needs.

TGN Silvertip Grade A 22mm
Persian Jar w/ faux tortoise shell resin
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7653/img2101f.jpg
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2904/img2102yt.jpg

Getting engraved and sent out. Hopefully it will last me a loooong time ha

-Mark

kingfisher
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Gorgeous brush, Mark. You're going to love it.

Rudy Vey
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Gentlemen
when sending a brush for restoration to me, please include a copy of our e-mails. Alternatively, put a paper in the box with your name (and screen name) and address. From time to time I get a box with just a brush inside, often weeks after we have e-mailed about it. And I also get sometimes a box without any information and just the address on the outside, but no name.
By putting the information inside the package makes things much easier for us:thumbup1:.
Thanks!

cooncatbob
02-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Gentlemen
when sending a brush for restoration to me, please include a copy of our e-mails. Alternatively, put a paper in the box with your name (and screen name) and address. From time to time I get a box with just a brush inside, often weeks after we have e-mailed about it. And I also get sometimes a box without any information and just the address on the outside, but no name.
By putting the information inside the package makes things much easier for us:thumbup1:.
Thanks!

That happens to me all the time, like I'm suppose to remember everybody I exchange e-mails and PMs with and their wacky user names and e-mail addresses.
I tell them to include "All" their contact information in the package.

What else kills me is when I'm exchanging e-mails or PMs with someone and they send me a "new" e-mail instead of a reply and it might be days since their last message, Like I'm supposed to remember what you wanted last week when I've answered dozen of e-mails since.

TonyN
02-18-2011, 07:58 PM
What else kills me is when I'm exchanging e-mails or PMs with someone and they send me a "new" e-mail instead of a reply and it might be days since their last message, Like I'm supposed to remember what you wanted last week when I've answered dozen of e-mails since.

And as we get older the CRS gets worse! :laugh: Like going upstairs to get something and by the time I get up there, I can't remember what I went up there for! Forget about yesterday! :blush:

litespeedone
02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Rudy just made my first (non-crappy) brush. He was a lot of help since I really don't know much about brushes. I have a sensitive face and so he tailored everything nicely to my needs.

-Mark

That is a *beautiful* brush.

BigFoot
02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Gentlemen
Thanks!

That happens to me all the time, like I'm suppose to remember everybody I exchange e-mails and PMs with and their wacky user names and e-mail addresses.

What are we supposed to do?:001_huh:

OK I am guilty....but I did PM you Rudy and warned you ahead of time I was guilty. Does that help make me un guilty.:blink:

ESTEBE VERDE
02-19-2011, 02:19 AM

-Mark

WOW!!!!! :001_tt1:

Hex
02-19-2011, 05:28 AM
And as we get older the CRS gets worse! :laugh: Like going upstairs to get something and by the time I get up there, I can't remember what I went up there for! Forget about yesterday! :blush:

Or what I just had for breakfast. :001_smile

Hex
02-19-2011, 05:30 AM
WOW!!!!! :001_tt1:

Yeah, it's really a beauty.

When I was shopping around with Rudy, it was so so difficult making up my mind as to material, and shape.

I wanted them all.

DunEdinRanger
02-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Gentlemen
Thanks!

Rudy, Bob;

I get calls from people that routinely go start like this, "I'm having that same problem on my computer again, that you fixed six months ago."

Oh yeah, I remember now... :lol:

michael.scheller
02-19-2011, 06:54 AM

I've used my name as my screen name at every forum at which I'm a member which allows me to do so. My email addresses are the same. I receive and review resumes for my company and it amazes me the number of people who have email addresses on their professional resume such as "PhunkDaddy@, Bu$terA$$@, or ClubMonkey@. :blushing: When people come to me for advice on their resume along with other advice I render, the number one thing I point out is that [email protected] doesn't say very good things about them so I send them an invite to gmail and suggest [email protected] since [email protected] will likey be their professional address within any company that hires them.

maxman
02-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Well here it is!
My Rudy Vey custom.
The brush is inspired by my Montblanc Meisterstuck pen.
The handle is long. I have big hands and this fits my hand perfectly.
A 2-band finest knot tops it off.
I' took it for a test this afternoon and it just destroys soap. I had such nice thick lather.

Enjoy!

Vlad
02-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Well here it is!
My Rudy Vey custom.
The brush is inspired by my Montblanc Meisterstuck pen.
The handle is long. I have big hands and this fits my hand perfectly.
A 2-band finest knot tops it off.
I' took it for a test this afternoon and it just destroys soap. I had such nice thick lather.

Enjoy!

Wow, what an awesome design idea. :thumbup1:

ESTEBE VERDE
02-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I couldn't decide on what style Rudy Vey Custom Badger I wanted so I just got my current top four. :biggrin1:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5459929797_a2c638630a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9412808@N08/5459929797/)
BADGER FAMILY PICS IMG_2120 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9412808@N08/5459929797/) by estebeverde (http://www.flickr.com/people/9412808@N08/)

Hex
02-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Wow, what an awesome design idea. :thumbup1:

+1 :thumbup:

It sure is.

It looks like it tapers in a small bit as it slopes toward the base. I can't recall seeing one like that before. Somehow that shape in black adds to the appearance.

That's really beautiful and it matches the pen perfectly.

DunEdinRanger
02-20-2011, 05:43 AM
I couldn't decide on what style Rudy Vey Custom Badger I wanted so I just got my current top four. :biggrin1:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5459929797_a2c638630a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9412808@N08/5459929797/)
BADGER FAMILY PICS IMG_2120 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9412808@N08/5459929797/) by estebeverde (http://www.flickr.com/people/9412808@N08/)

The one on the far right is amazing. And here I thought SBAD was cured...

Note to self: Do NOT drive South on the GSP. Do Not Pass Go. Do Not visit the Brush Master's Work Shop...

alabamalawyer
02-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Great lineup!

Arnie
02-21-2011, 01:45 AM

Just when i thought I was done buying brushes (for a while) this beehive catches my eye!:001_tt1:

Rudy Vey
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Just when i thought I was done buying brushes (for a while) this beehive catches my eye!:001_tt1:

Arnie, one can never have too many brushes:wink2::wink2:

Dripp
02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Rudy just last night sent me a photo of the brush I asked him to create for me. It's based on an eagle but elongated, topped off with a 24mm TGN two band finest flat top knot. The photo shows it at about a 51mm loft, but I'm having Rudy set at about 46-48mm loft for face lathering. Can't wait to get it.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/a4nut/IMG_2125.jpg

Loric
02-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I too just got a photo from Rudy, and I could not be happier. I posted this in the brush forum, but I am so proud I had to show off here too :thumbup1:

Vlad
02-25-2011, 04:39 PM
I too just got a photo from Rudy, and I could not be happier. I posted this in the brush forum, but I am so proud I had to show off here too :thumbup1:

Flask-schmask...I think this was inspired by my RV Fatty. :tongue_sm

Loric
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Flask-schmask...I think this was inspired by my RV Fatty. :tongue_sm

Your closer to right than you might think. You and Ken had both claimed the new 30mm STA's are ultra soft, softer than the high end luxury brushes I had sold you both...so I had to have a handle to try one in. You cant shave with just a knot can you???

Jake
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
My new RV is a buckeye burl with the Shavemac D01 extreme flat top. A fantastic job in turning and finishing the burl, the knot fits snugly and will begin its lathering journey tomorrow. The 48mm loft with a 21 mm knot is bound to bloom like a rose. And I'll share my impressions as time goes by.

But my 1st impression is extremely positive - as was the excellent service provided by Rudy. He is the brush man -- IMHO. Thanks Mr. Vey...

grump
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
How do those of you who have the Shavemac D01 extreme flat top knot like them.

Does the cost of the knot compare to the knots from TGN?

Hex
02-27-2011, 06:27 AM
My new RV is a buckeye burl with the Shavemac D01 extreme flat top. A fantastic job in turning and finishing the burl, the knot fits snugly and will begin its lathering journey tomorrow. The 48mm loft with a 21 mm knot is bound to bloom like a rose. And I'll share my impressions as time goes by.

But my 1st impression is extremely positive - as was the excellent service provided by Rudy. He is the brush man -- IMHO. Thanks Mr. Vey...

That's a beautiful piece of wood Jake, exquisitely crafted into a remarkable brush.
I'll bet the post bloom will be spectacular.

Jake
02-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks. The bloom is beginning -- today was the inaugural shave with the brush. Will post some images later in its life to demo the change.

The Shavemac D01 is a bit more expensive than the TGN knots. Prices are available by contacting Bernd at Shavemac. And IMHO they are worth the extra...

SirWhiskers
02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
The Shavemac D01 is a bit more expensive than the TGN knots. Prices are available by contacting Bernd at Shavemac. And IMHO they are worth the extra...

A bit more? I think you can get ~4 TGN knots for the price of a D01. But they are very nice knots indeed, in a league of their own. German engineering at its finest. Both the RV handles and the Shavemac knots.

TheVez2
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Where's the update on the Ever-ready?

Rudy Vey
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Where's the update on the Ever-ready?

The restoration was done and the brushes returned to Scott. Wait for an update from his side...
The blue handle did not work out for us, so Scott sent me another very nice handle, and here are they two restored brushes side by side.

BigFoot
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
The restoration was done and the brushes returned to Scott. Wait for an update from his side...
The blue handle did not work out for us, so Scott sent me another very nice handle, and here are they two restored brushes side by side.

Sorry guys but you have to wait a few more days. It will be worth it though.

BigFoot
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Here is a Barton Brush I had Rudy restore for me for SWMBO. I wish I could find a before picture, but it was ugly. Here is the finished product with an 18mm Silvertip Grade A knot.

BladeRunner001
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,
I am the proud owner of a new design brush that I asked Rudy to make for me. It is with 26mm TGN Grade A Silvertip, in Kingwood. I present you with his masterpiece. The pictures below are his and in the next several days, I will feature it in the SOTD section

Pictures below are ones taken by Rudy (not me):

Prelude: Rudy was patient enough with me...I think I was a PITA to deal with as I had him do this handle 3 times, before I was happy. Rudy: my hat's off to you my friend. You have gained a very (and I mean Very) happy customer. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :ouch1::ouch1:. I LOVE this work of art :em2200:.

Loric
03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Fantastic brush, I cant wait to hear how the angle of the head feels in use. Very interesting design.

Prelude: Rudy was patient enough with me...I think I was a PITA to deal with as I had him do this handle 3 times, before I was happy. Rudy: my hat's off to you my friend. You have gained a very (and I mean Very) happy customer. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :ouch1::ouch1:. I LOVE this work of art :em2200:.

+1 I sent Rudy lots of emails for my Flask brush. I was happy with his first go at it, but I know I was still very particular. Rudy has the penitents of a saint!

SirWhiskers
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I enjoy unique looking products. Now let us talk about "slant brushes" and the "angle" of a brush. This might just set a new trend around the forums.

ldphillips
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
My brush arrived from Rudy today. It looks so much better in hand than the image can convey.

http://blueboar.org/images/rv_brush_4.jpg

Narra wood, 22mm Finest Badger 48mm loft

Lewis

California Cajun
03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I enjoy unique looking products. Now let us talk about "slant brushes" and the "angle" of a brush. This might just set a new trend around the forums.

This may become a "must have" for those of us who love slant razors!

BladeRunner001
03-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Fantastic brush, I cant wait to hear how the angle of the head feels in use. Very interesting design.

Thank you :001_smile. I certainly love the feel of it in my hands. Very ergonomic and easy on the wrists. I did a test lather and applied to face tonight and it is very very good.

+1 I sent Rudy lots of emails for my Flask brush. I was happy with his first go at it, but I know I was still very particular. Rudy has the penitents of a saint!

Saint. Rudy or Saint. Vey :laugh:...I like it. We can even declare it a holiday.

Greg1911
03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_9hKv1CCs0us/TWmYqmdsBKI/AAAAAAAABaI/cU98cY23CIc/s640/RV%20Brushes%203.JPG

I'm looking forward to playing with these 3 beauties from Rudy when I get home next week. :thumbup1:

Loric
03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Saint. Rudy or Saint. Vey :laugh:...I like it. We can even declare it a holiday.

And on this day Saint Vey will receive the prayers of all who are in need of custom shave gear.

h22o999
03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, wanted to post some pictures of my RV brushes. I just recieved two handles from him earlier today, the persian jar and the wee scot style handle. I put a 24mm TGN fan shaped finest knot in the PJ, and a 20mm TGN fan shaped finest in the wee scot style handle. The knot is set at 43mm on the 20 and 48mm on the 24. The horn handled one is a 22mm TGN finest fan set at 46mm, the Tulip with the bulb is a custom Shavemac for creams, and lastly the chubby style handle is with a 22mm custom Shavemac fan knot in D01. All of these handles except the horn handle have the new Rudy Vey logo engraved on the bottom of the handle...

Enjoy the pics...

Justin

h22o999
03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
More...