PDA

View Full Version : A Surprising BBS shave and I'm Ambidextrous!!

Barber-Eile
07-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi everyone!

So I just recently got a lovely stainless steel dovo shavette with some Fromm blades and I thought to myself "you know what, I've never done a whole full leg shave with a straight or shavette, I always do a bit and then wuss out".

So with a crazed woman's look of determination in my eye to give it one heck of a go, I headed off to the bathroom with the Dovo all loaded, a boar brush and some Arko (easy for leg lathering).

Now I figured it might just fail. I thought I'd at least cut the knee off myself and that the results would be patchy at best and I'd just have to tidy things up with my Lady Gillette. I thought there was a high chance I'd just wuss out again.

I lathered up the first calf and set to it. The front was easy enough and I was surprising myself. But I didn't get overly confident - the front is always easy. Then came the sides... not impossible and easy enough to reach.

Then the back of the leg hit me. I was shaving my left leg using my left hand. I'm left handed so it's natural for me to use a shavette with that hand. Now you should stop reading this and try holding a straight of any kind and reaching around to the back of the leg on the same side as that hand and getting a good angle with the blade. I though I had hit a wall but no! In a DE shave at this point I would simply switch hands and shave the back part with my right hand so I figured I'd give it a go! It was more than strange to hold a shavette with my right hand but I was surprisingly adept with it! So once I knew about my shavette ambidextrous abilities the upper leg and right leg were fine.

Then I thought "in for a penny..." and shaved my underarms. What a tricky manouver that was. Definitly I'll be sticking to a DE there for sure! It was VERY tricky and I think I went a bit cross-eyed but I got the job done... however when I put deoderant on afterward - man - the burn! I never get that with a DE shave.

Now for the most surprising part. Aside from two tiny pin-point nicks it was the most BBS leg shave I've had in a long time. I was really genuinely surprised when I washed off the access cream and dried. :w00t:
I'll definitely be trying this again :thumbup:

michiganlover
07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Awesome!! Glad to hear you had a good first experience with your Shavette. :w00t::thumbup:

You are far more daring than I; I can barely shave my face with my straight (and I can see all part of that quite well) without causing myself some (and sometimes quite a bit of) harm. :blushing::blush:

HoosierTrooper
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Man, I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.

Luc
07-29-2010, 05:53 PM
That's how it starts!! :thumbup1:

Uncle Erik
07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Congrats on a great shave! I usually have to screw up a bit of courage to shave my face with a straight!

P.S. It's good to find another lefty here!

Legion
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm still practicing ambidextrous to do my left side with a straight. It's tricky when you have been righty shaving with a safety razor your whole adult life.

michiganlover
07-29-2010, 06:41 PM
P.S. It's good to find another lefty here!

I am left handed as well. I am not ambidextrous, so I shave both sides of my face with my left hand when using a straight razor.

Owens187
07-30-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm right handed, and shave my whole face with my right hand. Weilding a straight with my left hand scares the crap outta me....

verdict
07-30-2010, 03:19 AM

:laugh::laugh: Who wouldn't?

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 03:37 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

I should point out that I have in no way even close to the agility in my right hand that I have in my left. I'm amazed I didn't cut the calf off myself. I've always known I could do my make-up with both hands and that I shaved with a DE using both hands but I previously would have thought that using a straight, much like writing, would solely be a left-handed job for me.
I think I'm going to try and "hone" my new skills though (bad pun intended :biggrin1:)

michiganlover
07-30-2010, 03:42 AM
I think I'm going to try and "hone" my new skills though (bad pun intended :biggrin1:)

Seriously, you should strop it with the bad humor. :w00t::lol::lol::w00t:

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Seriously, you should strop it with the bad humor.

Sorry I didn't mean to get you in a "lather"!
Once the puns start I find it hard to "paste" myself

(:lol: - okay that last one is just odd sounding!)

Luc
07-30-2010, 04:05 AM
This is turning into things that my Father-in-law would say... :lol:

johnmrson
07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
I can cut myself equally as well with both hands :lol:

Congrats on the shavette shave.

rainman
07-30-2010, 04:13 AM
I thought the title of the thread said surpassing BBS at first so I was thinking something like this:

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 04:42 AM
i thought the title of the thread said surpassing bbs at first so i was thinking something like this

argh!

ackvil
07-30-2010, 04:51 AM

Now that is funny.:wink2:

ackvil
07-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Not only are you Ambidextrous, you are also quite cute! :blushing:

bradyarz
07-30-2010, 05:10 AM
it was quite the learning experience to learn to use my non-dominant hand for straight shaving, but now that i have that down i wouldn't have it any other way.

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Not only are you Ambidextrous, you are also quite cute! :blushing:

Ackvil - you know that's not me in the picture rainman posted yeah?

michiganlover
07-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Ackvil - you know that's not me in the picture rainman posted yeah?

Yeah, I was scratching my head wondering, is there a photo posted of Danielle I missed, besides the photo of your lovely legs? :biggrin1::001_cool:

Mr. Scruffy
07-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Congratulations!

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I was scratching my head wondering, is there a photo posted of Danielle I missed, besides the photo of your lovely legs? :biggrin1::001_cool:

Lol... That photo is going to haunt me on here until I'm an old granny I'm sure (by which stage I'll find it flattering!). There's another picture of me on here though in the post your mug thread so maybe he saw that?

Or maybe I have a stalker :blink: :detective:

_MementoMori_
07-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Congrats on your successful experiment, Danielle. Also, you have lovely handwriting for a left-handed individual!

And for the record, I shave ambidextrously as well. I'm right-handed, but I've played guitar for 18 years. I often think that's what has helped me to develop ambidexterity in other tasks. Any other musicians feel like weighing in on that theory?

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Congrats on your successful experiment, Danielle. Also, you have lovely handwriting for a left-handed individual

Firstly I was confused as to how you knew what my hadnwritting looks like - D'uh! *facepalm*
Secondly, are you implying that left handed people don't normally have nice handwritting? :lol:

I used to play guitar many years ago but I'm pretty sure I've always been with this in some areas. I brush my hair with both hands, do my make-up, us a DE, I do a lot of facepainting too (my friend does it professionally so I go along to help her) and I do that with both hands too.
Howver I can only kind of write with my right hand and I can't use a scissors with my left at all.
I play most sports right-handedly and use to play guitar that way.

:blink: - man, I never noticed before how mixed up I am!

Even as I sit here now I have my keyboard in front of me, my mouse to my right and my graphics tablet and pen to my left. I know all the shortcuts to my programs with both hands depending of if I'm using the mouse or pen.

_MementoMori_
07-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Secondly, are you implying that left handed people don't normally have nice handwritting? :lol:

Aside from you and Leonardo da Vinci, yeah, it ain't lookin' too good from what I've seen. So you're in good company, at least. Hahaha...

ackvil
07-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Lol... That photo is going to haunt me on here until I'm an old granny I'm sure (by which stage I'll find it flattering!). There's another picture of me on here though in the post your mug thread so maybe he saw that?

Or maybe I have a stalker :blink: :detective:

Okay fine I'll play too. Even though I much prefer being on the other side of the camera, here I am (taken just a couple of weeks ago)...

You'll notice my BBS face :lol::lol::lol:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4750096669_5ae8e5e370.jpg

That's the one!

Barber-Eile
07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
What GAH! Nooo!
People don't need to see that again..
:blushing: