PDA

View Full Version : B&B Confidential #1: Ready, Set, Finish

johnniegold
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Welcome to our first installment of:

B&B CONFIDENTIAL - #1

READY, SET, FINISHED

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=20571

Hi B&B'ers and welcome to B&B Confidential. This is a section where you can read articles about what is going on and around Badger & Blade. For this installment I would like to talk about a new trend that I have seen burgeoning around these parts.

I'm talking about all of these completist threads going up. This concept began awhile back when Doc4 began The Graveyard (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58528&highlight=graveyard) thread some time in September of 2008 and this thread has received almost 20,000 views. It is simply a thread to post which products our members completed during the course of their shaving sojourn.

I know once I started posting in that thread I became maniacal about posting in it once a product was completed. I see alot of the same faces in there but I am starting to see many more members contributing posts in there.

Jump to 2010 and we can see a growing trend, perhaps in line with our struggling economy, of purchase sabbaticals and threads dedicated to using a product until they are finished.

You have Joshmpdx's Considerations for a Shave Purchase Sabbatical (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120561&highlight=graveyard) Thread wherein members have dedicated themselves to, let's see, how shall I say this... depriving themselves :biggrin: from purchasing any new items in 2010. I was participating and going along swimmingly until I imploded and found myself the owner of a Simpson 90th Anniversary Brush (#56 to be sure :rolleyes: )

There is the Finish It In 2010 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140228&highlight=Finish+2010) thread begun by Sullybob. Another completist thread wherein members commit to finishing a product whilst providing some convenient loopholes to help enable :wink: them reach their goals. :biggrin:

I joined the fray as well with the My Guess... 2017 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128392&highlight=2017)thread wherein I have committed myself (or is it have myself committed? :huh:) to using only one shave soap until it is complete. I started the year using only C&E Sandalwood Soap which I completed and have now started using a tin of Pre de Provence which I intend to complete.

So there you have it. It appears that even wet-shavers are tightening their belts (or strops) in these tough economic times and have committed themselves to using the products that they have so steadily accumulated and hoarded over the years.

As with so many of us, even with a self-imposed purchase embargo, we could still have a different SOTD for years to come without making another purchase in 2010. :lol:

That's what's going on in this little corner of Badger and Blade so until the next installment of B&B Confidential... keep your friends close and your shaves closer. :wink2:

* If you would like to be a freelance journalist and contribute a segment of the B&B CONFIDENTIAL please contact one of the Mod team

Barber-Eile
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
This is great! I like this little summary update.
I don't get to read everything on here or follow all of the threads etc so I had only seen two of the above mentioned threads so it's interesting to notice the trend and I think it's great too that people are using what they have rather than giving into their ADs for a change!

Sullybob
04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
This is a neat update of current trends.

So, who finished the Pashana? :wink:

Prince
04-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Hope it didn't get dropped on the floor.

mkevenson
04-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I knew that there was a reason my shaving supplies were growing smaller instead of expanding. I just thought that it was a time warp, or a new episode of the TWIGHLIGHT ZONE.:scared::sad::ohmy::bored::mellow::confused1: crying::cursing::drool::angry::sneaky2::glare:

johnmrson
04-28-2010, 05:10 PM
The Fatboymania would be a good thread to incorporate so people can keep an eye on the price trends.

Darjeeling Express
04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Bob, I've been lurking on all of these threads. This is great, great stuff. Thank you for this first entry to B&B confidential. It promises to be quite a wonderful addition to this obsessive diversion.

pauls51
04-28-2010, 05:18 PM
How you guys can deprive yourselves like this is beyond me!

waitasecun
04-28-2010, 05:19 PM
isnt this the truth....I have yet to finish any soap or cream that I have bought thus far lol!

jkh
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Sorry, would some one be able to define this term "finish" for me?

I kid, actually finished a puck of Tabac this year! And there are two or three applications left in my Speick AS.

Doc4
04-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry, would some one be able to define this term "finish" for me?

"East of Swedish"

jkh
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
"East of Swedish"

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Bravo!

huntmol
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
A great read, I look forward to seeing more of these!

Mr. Scruffy
04-28-2010, 06:22 PM
This year I have finished a bottle of Thayer's WH and a bottle of Nancy Boy facial cleanser.

It felt... wrong. :sad:

I was so bummed that I bought another 3 bottles of each.

Then I bought a puck of Knize 10, 2 pucks each of C&S 88 and Oxford & Cambridge and 2 more bowls of Monsavon.

Thank God I had already completed my Penhaligon's frag line up. :whistling:

johnniegold
04-28-2010, 06:28 PM

I think that was Jim.

It promises to be quite a wonderful addition to this obsessive diversion.

Thanks and keep an eye out for additional installments.

"East of Swedish"

Ladies and Gentlemen, he'll be up on our stage twice nightly. :biggrin:

A great read, I look forward to seeing more of these!

:thumbup1:

Then I bought a puck of Knize 10, 2 pucks each of C&S 88 and Oxford & Cambridge and 2 more bowls of Monsavon.

Harry, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you are not really interested in the aforementioned threads. :wink:

Stubblefield
04-28-2010, 06:44 PM
The Fatboymania would be a good thread to incorporate so people can keep an eye on the price trends.Or just not buy them . . . :lol:

I personally have sworn off all Method Shaving products. Mind you, I have never purchased any, but still . . . it's the thought that counts.

PatrickL01
04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
"East of Swedish"

That was perfect! :w00t:

Mr. Scruffy
04-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Harry, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you are not really interested in the aforementioned threads. :wink:

It's all part of the "Mr. Scruffy Economic Stimulus Program" designed to bring us back from the precipice of financial ruin.

If you check out this thread you can see the overwhelmingly positive impact of my "Cash for Clunkers" (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1970318&highlight=Scruffy#post1970318)program.

Just doin' my part to prime the pump that fuels the American way of life!!

Besides, who can really say that one puck of tallow based SS is enough? Huh? Huh?

Cool! My 4,000th post wasn't in the Clown House!

(Beware the greenies... :scared:)

Mr. Imperial
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
This year I have finished a bottle of Thayer's WH

Wait, witch hazel counts? Sweet! Instant self-esteem boost!

dpm802
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I kid, actually finished a puck of Tabac this year!I heard rumors that someone had finished a puck of Tabac ... but I filed this away in the "Urban Legends" category.

deshaveman
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I heard rumors that someone had finished a puck of Tabac ... but I filed this away in the "Urban Legends" category.

I finished one too. I saw the face of Jack Skellington near the end. (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127791) Didn't know what that meant so I bought 5 more pucks! :w00t:

jstutman
04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
I went all out when I started the new hobby. I however now look back and think, ok I have enough blades, soaps and everything to go around. Yet, I am still looking for that good deal on a much better brush

wimbouman
04-29-2010, 12:51 AM
"East of Swedish"

:jump::jump::jump:

Rocketeer
04-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Jump to 2010 and we can see a growing trend, perhaps in line with our struggling economy, of purchase sabbaticals ...

But then there are us "newbies" who are probably taking up a good portion of the slack by making some rather substantial purchases in our quest for the perfect shave!

Carlin
04-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Interesting article.

How often do you hope to put up a new confidential?

sodajerk
04-29-2010, 05:55 AM
I heard rumors that someone had finished a puck of Tabac ... but I filed this away in the "Urban Legends" category.

) As I looked at my Tabac this morning, I wondered if anybody ever finishes a puck! I could not remember seeing it in writing. Seven months into DE shaving I have not finished anything except packs of blades! When I do finish something, I'll put up a headstone in the graveyard thread!

Evbo
04-29-2010, 08:30 AM
So far I've finished a full bottle of The Gentlemens Refinery Standard Aftershave. It took me over 2 years to do it but it finally gave up the ghost. I actually couldn't believe it when I pressed the dispenser & nothing came out. I was dumbfounded that I had actually finished something.

I'm also about to finish up a puck each of QED's Lime & Sandalwood soaps (good thing I have some in reserve, tho :devil:). And my tube of Speick SC is starting to look like a tube of toothpaste nearing the end of its lifespan. So yes, believe it or else you actually can finish a product. It does happen.

Having said that, I think I'm on a shaving product moratorium. I have enough stuff for myself -- and for my 2 boys, whenever they start to shave -- for many years to come.

Scents, however, are another story. :blushing:

Obsessed
04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
"East of Swedish"

Outstanding.

joelmole
04-29-2010, 08:48 AM
I've been trying to do this to some extent, but I've still kept 3 or 4 products in my bathroom drawer to rotate through until recently. Right now I only have a tube of Proraso, a bottle of witch hazel, and a bottle of Proraso balm at hand. I just polished off my jar of Proraso Pre/Post, and the shave cream is on it's last legs.

After this it's on to a half full tub of AOS Lavender cream and the accompanying ASB. I'm mostly attacking my shave creams first since I assume they have a shorter shelf life than my soaps. I have a bunch more to finish off though! (some are more than 50% used though)

AOS Lemon tub
AOS Sandalwood tub
Musgo Real tube
TOBS Avocado tub
TOBS Rose tub
Nivea European cream tube (several)
Body Shop cream tub
More proraso cream

And I have just as many soaps too, and they take longer to burn through usually. I'm probably going to sell the multiples of my Proraso and Nivea creams.

Blaireau&Lame
04-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm waiting to finish my AOS Lavender cream before starting a new cream/soap. It's pretty easy to hold out since I really like this cream, but the siren call of straights is getting deafening. :001_smile

causalfault
04-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I've only just fairly recently started wetshaving, but I've so far (more or less) finished one puck of VDH Deluxe (though from what I can tell that's not much of an achievement). My AOS Sandalwood soap is still going strong, though, and I just purchased some AOS Sandalwood ASB... that little bottle is going to last me quite a while, I think.

The fiancee just got some AOS Rose Absolute cream, and we both just bought new razors (a blue star Lady Gillette for her and a Gillette Super Speed for myself -- on their way from the 'Bay). After this, though, I think we're going to have to buckle down and avoid any more purchases for a while...

Well, maybe after I pick up a tub of The Body Shop Maca Root cream...

Also, "East of Swedish" made me chuckle.

burnwood
04-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I have still not been able to post a full size of anything I have finished to shave in the 2 years I have been on this site.

Doc4
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I have still not been able to post a full size of anything I have finished to shave in the 2 years I have been on this site.

You are getting some pretty amazing mileage out of those products ...

Oglethorpe
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Man... In over a year of straight shaving I've not finished a single related product. I PIF'd a bunch of stuff though. That kind of skews my numbers.

Sullybob
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
You are getting some pretty amazing mileage out of those products ...

Either that or he has a huge rotation.

dpm802
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
) As I looked at my Tabac this morning, I wondered if anybody ever finishes a puck! I could not remember seeing it in writing. Seven months into DE shaving I have not finished anything except packs of blades! When I do finish something, I'll put up a headstone in the graveyard thread!My first puck of Tabac (purchased in October '08) is still at about 80%, pretty amazing considering that it is the backbone of my rotation during the colder months, and is often put into play during warm weather, too.

By comparison, I've gone through at least 3 tubes of Tabac cream in that time, since I always mix them together to make some awesome SuperLather.

For next winter, I think I'll invest in a fresh puck. The leftover that I have now will either be milled down into a shave-stick, or else cut up and sent out for PIFs.

onotoman
04-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Hi Guys,

You may not agree that this is fully 'used' up but I'm 'scraping the bottom of the barrel now' (see pics below) and through to the wood bowl. I've been using this TOBS Lavender Soap in wood bowl for 13 months now - yes 13 months of luxurious shaves and the refill cost? around 5.00 or $9!

The bowl now has a nice 'used' look to it but hasn't cracked, warped or split, so I think it'll be handed down to my son when I finish with it - great quality.

I have the new block ready to go in and I'm off to Turkey for 2 weeks of sun so I'd say that the new block will be in the bowl by I return.

See you later, I have a flight to catch :-)

http://www.razorandsoap.com/tobsbowl1.jpg
http://www.razorandsoap.com/tobsbowl2.jpg

Bill Smith
04-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Good piece, I find my purchases this year have been blades, a new puck of Kent/MWF shaving soap and a bottle of Dominica Bayrum and Limes aftershave. I am seeing a scenario where once my Mama Bears Aged Spice Shaving Soap and Old Spice aftershave run out, I'm not replacing them, same thing with CE Sienna shaving soap though I have decent supply of that.

I want to whittle down to Kent MWF and maybe one other soap/cream for travel and concentrate in finding a couple of good aftershaves and colognes. I love the MWF and Domincia BR&L combination. So why have ton of other products just lying around?

masonjarjar
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
it takes a real man to stick with one product until it's gone! :thumbup1:

(fwiw, I only lasted for 2 weeks with Proraso last year.. it was so much simpler before I found this place..)

masonjarjar
04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I started the year using only C&E Sandalwood Soap which I completed

:blink:

was it NEW??

I've often mused about trying this, but I figured one puck would probably last me over a year..

"Mr. Owl, how many shaves does it take to get to the center of a puck of C&E Nomad?" "Let's find out.."

I'm not committing to anything, but maybe I'll try to *finish* my 1/2 used puck.. :thumbup:

Jim
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys,

You may not agree that this is fully 'used' up but I'm 'scraping the bottom of the barrel now' (see pics below) and through to the wood bowl. I've been using this TOBS Lavender Soap in wood bowl for 13 months now - yes 13 months of luxurious shaves and the refill cost? around 5.00 or $9!

The bowl now has a nice 'used' look to it but hasn't cracked, warped or split, so I think it'll be handed down to my son when I finish with it - great quality.

I have the new block ready to go in and I'm off to Turkey for 2 weeks of sun so I'd say that the new block will be in the bowl by I return.

See you later, I have a flight to catch :-)

I think we need a ruling on this one. Ref! :lol:

masonjarjar
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
isnt this the truth....I have yet to finish any soap or cream that I have bought thus far lol!

things I've finished since September 2007 (my B&B join date)

2 tubes CO Bigelow/Proraso cream
1 tube The Real Shaving Company Moisturizing cream (:thumbup1:)
1 tube Kiss My Face Lime
2 bottles Nivea Extra Soothing ASB (:thumbup:)
2 tubes Neutrogena Triple protect ASB
1 puck of Conk Amber (that went FAST)
Several pucks of VDH Pink, Amber and White
1 puck St. Charles Shave Barber Shop

DunEdinRanger
04-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow, since I started just over two years ago, I have finished:

3 bottles of Clubman Aftershave
1 tube of Real Shaving Co. Sensitive Cream
2 tubes of WARS Shaving Cream.
1 Puck of MB's Brute Soap.
1 bottle of Clubman Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic

blackfoot
05-01-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't think I have finished anything other than witchhazel. :sad:

johnniegold
05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
:blink:

was it NEW??

It was not new. I had the bowl of C&E soap for many years but had only used it about 15-20 times before I dedicated myself to using it until it was finished.

Break on through to the other side... Alllllll right.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=20904

it takes a real man to stick with one product until it's gone! :thumbup1:

I know. But I did it anyway. :wink: :biggrin:

Confilo
05-01-2010, 06:13 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Bravo!

east of Eden, :thumbup:

SRock
05-03-2010, 06:11 AM
"East of Swedish"

Nice, Ian! :thumbup1:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bluemidknight
05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow!

I like this..

I slowed down my VDH puck usage to about one puck every 2 to 3 months..
Still on my first tube of Proraso since the start of my DE shaving..

Finished up using the post/pre Proraso and decided I can live without it..

Normal usage on witch hazel and septic pencils.. And still have my original VDH brush, still working hard and strong :001_tongu

topcattcw
05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I finished some samples this year - does that count?

Schaefo
06-02-2010, 08:30 PM
You're trying to finish a tin of Pre de Provence? Good luck, I've never seen a longer lasting soap! I've had it in my rotation for two years (love it), but I don't think it's much past the level of the threads on the can. Let us know how many shaves are actually in that can! :w00t:

johnniegold
06-03-2010, 10:55 AM
You're trying to finish a tin of Pre de Provence? Good luck, I've never seen a longer lasting soap! I've had it in my rotation for two years (love it), but I don't think it's much past the level of the threads on the can. Let us know how many shaves are actually in that can! :w00t:

I can almost see the bottom of the tin. :yesnod:

timzack
06-05-2010, 06:54 AM
I am new to this whole thing and my first soap is Tabac. I love it but I am not sure I'll ever finish it. Just keeps going and going.

johnniegold
06-05-2010, 07:34 AM
I am new to this whole thing and my first soap is Tabac. I love it but I am not sure I'll ever finish it. Just keeps going and going.

My guess is that if you use it everyday (7 days a week), it will be gone in about 5 months.

pjc
06-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Actually, I finished a tube of Proraso and Musgo Real...both staples in my chest...

Gizmo
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
So far this year, 1 bottle of Dickinson's witch hazel and 1 Nivea Sensitive Balm.

I'm trying to whittle down my rotation (11 creams, 5 soaps), but I'm about to finish a tube of Musgo and I'm having anxiety about losing it!!!