PDA

View Full Version : So my first DE shave is in the books....

Gamecock1124
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
So I can safely say that my old mach3 and fusion habits do not work with DE shaving. I would say right after the shave it was a huge disaster, but after 20 minutes or so its not that bad of a shave.

I mean I basically bled out but I know that was from me being impatient and use to a quick 5 minute shave (I should slow down) and just overall bad technique and probably way to many passes, had around 5. But I actually got a 'decent' shave from my old standards. I have definitely had worse shaves. Man I cant wait for my face to heal up and try it all over again.

Hurray to DE shaving, and hurray to a speedy recover :)

bewp
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
The shaves only get better here on out!

I'd recommend checking out Mantic's videos on youtube if you haven't already (http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59). He has some extremely useful tips/advice on pretty much everything shaving related.

Also you could pick up a stypic pencil/alum block to help stop the bleeding from nicks/weepers that may occur from beginner shaving, they're quite inexpensive.

finally, slow & steady wins the race! (that and watching your angle/pressure of course) :biggrin1:

Smoothcriminal
04-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Agree with bewp - definatly watch the pressure going from cartridge (drag the hair out wrestling match) to DE (glide over and cut the hair) is a big change in technique. Also I suggest you don't try for repeated touch ups without re-lathering and finally I'd cut down the number of passes 5 to start off with is alot I's suggest 2....3 at most.

Also you mentioned nothing about your prep - shaving after a shower using a good soap or cream is a huge part of a succesful and irritation free shave (+soaps and creams are so much fun to collect) not to mention a decent aftershave or balm chaser :)

Enjoy the world of DE shaving mate I have come to love it and won't be going back - welcome to the B&B world :biggrin1:

saltypete
04-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Congrats on the first shave! They will get easier, just remember to take your time focus on your technique and soon it'll be second nature.

Pete

Gamecock1124
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Slow and steady, man is that true...Yeah I have a bad habit of trying to get a perfect BBS shave, instead of enjoying the finer things in life. I've bout everything down, pre-shave (hot towel, with Porarso pre-shave, might switch things up a bit here and there), lather (I love me some mama bear) with some a good dose syptic and witch hazel, with some aqua velva aftershave with some nutrogena post shave balm.

I can certianly see how it is enjoyable, now next time I should focus on enjoying it (with intense concentration on my form) and less on getting a perfect shave (cause that just makes me peel my face off). At least for now, till i get good. Thank you guys for all the help and encouragement, it means a lot to us newbies

shmeegs
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Patience, Patience, Patience.

The key to DE shaving is patience. Why rush? Take your time. This should be an enjoyable experience, something to help you relax in the morning or at night. I enjoy my morning shaves, they help me get ready for an already to be expected nutso freaking day at work.