PDA

View Full Version : Rank these furniture stores

millertime150
04-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I just bought a new kitchen table. I shopped around and found something that seemed like decent quality and not too expensive. I don't want to say where I purchased it from but can you guys rank these furniture stores in terms of quality.

Please rank from highest to lowest average quality (even if you never purchased from there make a educated guess)

-Rooms to Go
-Ashley furniture
-Havertys
-Macys Furniture
-Basset
-American Signature
-Thomasville

C Reed
04-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I have never shopped at any of them, but I really like Design Within Reach

millertime150
04-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I have never shopped at any of them, but I really like Design Within Reach

I am sure you probably heard of some of them though. I was hoping that you would rank in order even if you never purchased. Base it on what you perceive of their quality based on word of mouth, advertisements, companies name, companies look, etc

For example. I never been to or shopped at Value City Furniture but I know they are not super high end custom furniture.

Thebigspendur
04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
You can't compare them because some are retailers who sell many manufacturers and some are manufacturers. Years ago you knew when Thomasville made a piece it was handcrafted in their plant in the U.S. Now the stuff is mostly made in the Philippines or where ever. You just have to look at the furniture and how it is constructed and finished.

thecoalition
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
-Rooms to Go -5
-Ashley furniture - 4
-Havertys - 3
-Macys Furniture - 6
-Basset - dont have this here from my knowledge
-American Signature - 2
-Thomasville - 1

airplanedoc
04-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I just go over to Amish country, and have my furniture made to spec, usually for less money and better quality than any of those mentioned sell the same thing.

I have even taken in photos from the furniture store, and said this is what I want.

C Reed
04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I am sure you probably heard of some of them though. I was hoping that you would rank in order even if you never purchased. Base it on what you perceive of their quality based on word of mouth, advertisements, companies name, companies look, etc

For example. I never been to or shopped at Value City Furniture but I know they are not super high end custom furniture.

ok here we go then

-Rooms to Go this sounds like Ikea
-Ashley furniture for midwest types
-Havertys for southern types
-Macys Furniture for long-island/ jersy types
-Basset for dog lovers
-American Signature for midwest times
-Thomasville for Minnesota types

analysis based on the names alone

millertime150
04-09-2010, 11:45 AM
-Rooms to Go -5
-Ashley furniture - 4
-Havertys - 3
-Macys Furniture - 6
-Basset - dont have this here from my knowledge
-American Signature - 2
-Thomasville - 1

Thank you for your input. So you would put American Signature higher than havertys? From what I hear, Havertys is supposed to be much better than Rooms to go. In my experience it is better but not a whole lot.

I just go over to Amish country, and have my furniture made to spec, usually for less money and better quality than any of those mentioned sell the same thing.

I have even taken in photos from the furniture store, and said this is what I want.

When I lived in Pennsylvania this would have been easy to do. I haven't seen any Amish where I live now.

ok here we go then

-Rooms to Go this sounds like Ikea
-Ashley furniture for midwest types
-Havertys for southern types
-Macys Furniture for long-island/ jersy types
-Basset for dog lovers
-American Signature for midwest times
-Thomasville for Minnesota types

analysis based on the names alone

Good job. I honestly like this answer better than the first. LOL. I always thought of Basset as a dog store before I saw it sold furniture.

Gruder
04-09-2010, 01:25 PM
You can't compare them because some are retailers who sell many manufacturers and some are manufacturers. Years ago you knew when Thomasville made a piece it was handcrafted in their plant in the U.S. Now the stuff is mostly made in the Philippines or where ever. You just have to look at the furniture and how it is constructed and finished.

This one.

The Nid Hog
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Of the brands, Thomasville is the higher end in terms of quality and design.

millertime150
04-09-2010, 04:41 PM

I think that in a way you can compare them if you are looking at average quality. To me it would be the same as comparing a Lexus dealership to Carmax. Yes on average the Lexus dealer has higher quality than carmax, even though carmax can sell Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc BUT Carmax also carries a lot more lower end cars too.

OtherMoe
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Rooms to Go
-Ashley furniture
-Havertys
-Macys Furniture
-Basset
-American Signature
-Thomasville

For the most part,,,, None of the above,,, unles it's a Macy's furniture outlet.

We typically shop the non-chain furniture stores,,,,, but then only when they are having a sale on floor models,,,, what can I say,,,, we're cheap,,,, but we have very nice "cheap" furniture. :smile:

letterk
04-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Basset is pretty good. Probably the best of the larger chains. We used to like Ethan Allen, but they've gone all modern now.

Uncle Erik
04-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not crazy about any of them.

Back when I was a starving student and had an empty apartment, all I could afford were pieces from junk stores and the shabbier antique stores.

I taught myself how to refinish and do upholstery, then fixed what I found.

Some specialty and custom manufacturers aside, the old stuff is of much higher quality and construction. Not only that, but it usually costs less.

I've also built a few pieces myself. While the tools aren't inexpensive, the total cost is lower than buying new and you get the quality that you put in.

If you're not a DIY type, I recommend scouring antique and junk shops. You'll get the quality and antiques tend to have excellent resale value and often appreciate.

Mainstream stuff tends to be OK and serves its purpose, but its value drops significantly over time and it is usually not worth repairing when the time comes. I paid about $700 for a Mission style solid quartersawn oak table about 13-14 years ago. I see similar tables today going for a least $1,500, sometimes more. I don't foresee it needing anything other than occasional waxing in my lifetime, and I think it'll fetch even more in time. Had I spent $700 for a new table back then, I'd be lucky to get $50 or $100 for it today.

luvmysuper
04-09-2010, 09:31 PM
7 -Rooms to Go
3 -Ashley furniture
6 -Havertys
4 -Macys Furniture
1 -Basset
5 -American Signature
2 -Thomasville

I guessed with Havertys as I have never heard of them.

I can tell you that Rooms to Go is cheap crap.

Ashley has some nice stuff, you just have to look at the edges and the underside.

Basset and Thomasville have nice stuff but you will pay for it.

Snappy Lunch
04-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't shop any of them. For our living room we went to Tyndall Furniture Galleries in Pineville, NC. All hand built, but very good prices. Dinning room we went to Pennsylvania Wood. All solid cherry, Amish built, very high quality. For the den we went to the old standby La-Z-Boy. Piedmont NC had a lot of furniture plants, Broyhill and Thomasville being two of them. They produced some very high quality pieces, but of course all of those jobs went overseas.:cursing::mad3::thumbdown:incazzato:mad5: :mad1:

Ronald Carey
07-02-2010, 10:08 PM
There are several elements that you have to keep in mind, when it comes to selecting a good furniture store, before spending money. Furniture is one of the main aspects in everyone’s house. Furniture stores are not very difficult to select. Before buying or selecting a furniture store, you can do some research on the Internet, about all the stores in your area.

Stubblefield
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
my ranking:

Custom made/Antique

Ethan Allen

Thomasville

Macy's

Sue
07-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I haven't purchased from any of the stores listed and have no idea.

As posted earlier, no Amish here but we had a dining set made by the Menonites. Wonderful quality. All oak, cog and chain, self store leaves. They use no electriciy either. The machines are run by belt to a tractor.

Look underneath, feel the weight of the furniture, quality of stitching and frame construction. Go with solid wood when possible, preferably a hard wood.
Sue

BCatl
07-03-2010, 04:39 AM
I've grown to like Haverty's over the years.

Retail furniture stores are great if you just want to go buy some furniture and get it over with. If you are more patient, try to pick up good used pieces over time.

You don't have to buy antiques, but you'll certainly get sturdier and more "real" furniture if you buy pieces made before 1970, as a rule of thumb.

Wilpar76
07-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Basset is pretty good. Probably the best of the larger chains. We used to like Ethan Allen, but they've gone all modern now.

+1 - We furnished our dining room, living room and master bedroom with Basset furniture. Aside from some issues with our bed (they gave us the wrong mattress frame), we have been very pleased with the products and the warranty/repair service.

But. . .they are not cheap. Because we purchased all of the above at once, we got them to give it us for the cash price, but we were able to finance it. Very reasonable on their part because they didn't have to do that. It amounted to about a $5k difference in price. Funny thing, we got a christmas card from the sales associate that year. Obviously, we made her sales quota for about three months that year.

As long as they get their money, they will work with you.

TulsaLhorn
07-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I also prefer to pick up pieces one at a time. If my wife can wait I prefer to make the all-wood pieces. Things to look for if you are looking for quality:

1. Look at the edge grain, usually on top off the piece on the sides. You should be expecting to see the end grain, not another grain running from front to back, this is a sure sign of veneer or worse printed laminate to look like wood grain on top of fiberboard (sometimes plywood which is not so bad). If this is confusing, just follow a grain to the edge, you should be expecting to see something the looks like the end of a bunch of straws, not a straight grain running in another direction. Remember "all-wood" and "solid-wood" are not synonymous. You can also compare a finished surface, like the top, to an unfinished surface, like the underside of a table. If the grains look different the top is probably a veneer.

2. If it has a drawer, pull it out and look at it, this a is a place that cheaply made stuff really shows up. Look for hardwood sides (sometimes cedar) with joints, finger and dovetail joints are good, they should also be well sanded and smooth. Plastic, fiber board and poor finish are sure signs of lower quality craftsmanship. Drawer guides in newly made furniture are also a good sign, don't expect to see them in older furniture though. Now that the drawer is out you can also get a look at the inside of the piece and can a general feel for construction. Corner bracing is good, though not required. In something like a dresser look for dividers between drawers to keep out dust; above and below and also to the sides of the drawer.

3. If it's a case piece look at the back panel. This is a place fit and finish are usually lacking in lower quality furniture. I've some really cheap pieces be painted cardboard in furniture stores were would wouldn't expect it either.

4. If it's a table and chairs your looking for these are usally a lot easier to evaluate. Turn the chairs over and look underneath, the joints should be well fit and tight. None of the pieces should wobble on the ground. If the table has leaves, open it and poke around. This is a good place to have a peek and quality of construction as well. The table should separate and close easily also.

5. When it comes to upholstered furniture... you are on your own. GOOD LUCK!

As long as they get their money, they will work with you.

Oh yeah and don't forget, this process is often exactly like buying a car. They CAN come down on the price. There are some places out there you can't negotiate, but if there's a gang of people swarm the door waiting to pounce you probably can.

Matt R.
07-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I've grown to like Haverty's over the years.

Retail furniture stores are great if you just want to go buy some furniture and get it over with. If you are more patient, try to pick up good used pieces over time.

You don't have to buy antiques, but you'll certainly get sturdier and more "real" furniture if you buy pieces made before 1970, as a rule of thumb.

Great advice. I figured this out when I moved into my apartment. For starters, furniture is REALLY expensive. Even fake wood/particle board. If you want something like cherry or oak, expect to spend thousands of dollars.

I ended up buying a couch, headboard/frame, dresser, and nightstand (all particle board) from Ashley. Cost me $1100 after tax and delivery. Plus, you have to wait for them to order it from a distribution center, took about 3 weeks.

A few weeks later, I went to my local Good Will. Picked up an oak table with 6 chairs, 2 oak dressers, and a recliner for $75. Definitely go used if you can.

DaveNJ74
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Rooms to go is good if you have a rental property and just want to furnish it. When I bought my townhouse and moved from an apartment building that was your typical roach infested buidling, I didnt take ANY furniture with us because of fear of bringing bugs over to the new house.
I went to Bob's Discount Furniture and the wife and I spent a ton of money. The furniture is of average quality.
Just a FYI about their " Goof-proof " furniture protection. When they explain it to you they tell you for 5 years your furniture is insured against tears, scratches and stains. What they dont tell you is you can only use it once per item. We had the misfortune of using it and it was such a disaster.
They contract out Guardsman as their repair company who will email you a form to fill out about your damage and how it was caused. You print it out, mail it back.
They denied us right off the bat and didnt explain why. I called back and files an appeal which they granted eventually. They gave us 2 options. The first, replace the part or entire piece of furniture or the cut you a check for $120 to hire your own local repair company to fix it in your home.
If you choose either one of those options, your " goof proof " protection is finished for the duration of that item, so if another incident happens you are s.o.l.
I took the check for $120 and found a local place to come fit the damage and ended up paying an extra $80 out of pocket. The goof proof protection for that item when we purchased it was $125.
I would advise not to purchase the protection plan from Bob's.