PDA

View Full Version : Torn & Ripped Jeans... what do you think?

beardsareforcavemen
03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Ok, so I'm sure everyone knows that in the 1980's torn & ripped jeans were a rockin fashion fad. It was very common to see someone wearing torn & ripped fringed out jeans with a leather jacket or hardcore rock shirt and leather boots. Now-a-days I notice young adults wearing torn & ripped jeans with bright striped polo shirts and penny loafers. The torn & ripped ("destroyed" I think they call it now) jeans sell for top dollar at the type of mall stores that play the "UN TISS un tiss UN TISS un tiss" music. Does it seem strange that this rockin fashion fad from 20 years ago has come back again, but now as a "preppy" fad?
What do you think about this?

Telecaster52
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
they're only $3 at goodwill

i don't even like the look of stonewashed jeans, i buy deep dark indigo and wear them out myself

faster_than_u
03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
I often say that I wish the style of the 20's-40's would come back then at least girls would be wearing clothes. I also with that with that that respect and manners would come back.

dbconlin
03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Lots of trends from the 80s have come back in some iteration or another over the past ~5 years. Fashion is cyclical - designers don't have that many ideas an people love to harken to bygone eras...

thebikingengineer
03-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Unless you've destroyed them yourself (preferably from a dark, stiff, and raw state) there's something that looks fake about those jeans. I wouldn't put too much stock in "preppy" fads (assuming you mean high school preppy, not the much more stylish preparatory style), they fade away pretty fast.

SRock
03-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Fashion is circular in both terms of time and location. What is big now in Europe may be huge in the US next year and huge again in Europe in some variation in 10-20 yrs. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

holiday
03-25-2010, 05:38 AM
I wouldn't want to pay money for for jeans that had holes in them before I'd even worn them! As for the look, meh its stylized fashion. I prefer nice fitting jeans and a t-shirt, I must be weird :001_huh:

Walter Sobchak
03-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Torn, frayed, and/or bleached jeans are only cool if you wear a feather ear ring and tie a red bandana around one of your ankles and possible one of your wrists. You get bonus points if you wear a quarter sized button that says Def Lep.

Dpflaum
03-25-2010, 05:51 AM
i don't even like the look of stonewashed jeans, i buy deep dark indigo and wear them out myself

Same. And I'm 20, so they are very popular with my age group. Can't for the life of me figure out why.

$150 jeans that wear out in 6 months, or $40 jeans that last for years. Hmm... I thought us college kids were supposed to be smart.

Pumpkin
03-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Unless you've destroyed them yourself (preferably from a dark, stiff, and raw state) there's something that looks fake about those jeans. I wouldn't put too much stock in "preppy" fads (assuming you mean high school preppy, not the much more stylish preparatory style), they fade away pretty fast.
+1 I've got a couple of pairs that are "distressed" but they got that way as workwear
:thumbup1:

Stubblefield
03-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Lame, unless you wear them with legwarmers . . . .

thebikingengineer
03-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Same. And I'm 20, so they are very popular with my age group. Can't for the life of me figure out why.

$150 jeans that wear out in 6 months, or $40 jeans that last for years. Hmm... I thought us college kids were supposed to be smart.

I'm personally a fan of the $150 jeans that last decades, but I'm weird.

beardsareforcavemen
03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
I often say that I wish the style of the 20's-40's would come back then at least girls would be wearing clothes. I also with that with that that respect and manners would come back.

I'll also vote for bringing back the styles of the 20's-40's especially the respect and manners. I like the suits, shoes and all the neat hats from that era. So now all we have to do is have fashion designers tell people what their new fad is going to be. Just don't bring back the criminal gangsters lol.

RichGem
03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't wear them myself, but torn jeans don't bother me too much so long as they are worn in the appropriate environment and aren't too torn up or torn in indecent places. What drives me slightly nuts tho are frayed/destroyed cuffs on any trousers or jeans from wearing pants too long and letting them drag on the ground.

I've often thought/hoped that at least women's fashions of the 30s/40s need to make a long over due come back. That look just exudes class to me. As for men's fashions, sorry, but I will not ever wear a suit to a picnic or informal event. (yes, I'm exaggerating a little). But, many of my contemporaries do seem to need lessons in how to dress appropriately for certain occasions.

Manners/courtesy are long over due for a comeback (for that matter, so is common sense).

mmack66
03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Torn, frayed, and/or bleached jeans are only cool if you wear a feather ear ring and tie a red bandana around one of your ankles and possible one of your wrists. You get bonus points if you wear a quarter sized button that says Def Lep.

Whew! I'm good then, though I will have to move my bandanna from my thigh to my ankle.

SlyGI
03-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I think if you have torn or ripped jeans, you should either get new jeans or patch them up. Preferably patch them up. YOU be the trendsetter, don't let others set the trend for you. :thumbup1:

I too think the styles and manners of the 30's and 40's should come back. I try to act and dress as vintage as I can get away with (money, time) to make the world a little better (in my perspective). I even took the alarm fob off my key chain so that I would make sure to open the car door for my wife.

arghblech
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Things were better in the old days. People are more rude than they used to be. Hamburgers... nickel. :001_rolle

RichGem
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Things were better in the old days. People are more rude than they used to be. Hamburgers... nickel. :001_rolle

And 1/5th the size.

faster_than_u
03-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I'll also vote for bringing back the styles of the 20's-40's especially the respect and manners. I like the suits, shoes and all the neat hats from that era. So now all we have to do is have fashion designers tell people what their new fad is going to be. Just don't bring back the criminal gangsters lol.

But at least the gangsters were real gangsters not these kids that think they are now that will stab you because they want the hat you are wearing or because you didnt move out of the way for them at the mall. Just because you wear your pants so you a$$ hangs out and your cap on side ways, while listening to 50 does not make you a gangster.

end rant.

mmack66
03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I think General Larry Platt summed it all up with his social anthem "Pants on the Ground".

Doc4
03-25-2010, 12:08 PM

... that's what I was going to say, too.

RichGem
03-25-2010, 12:14 PM
... that's what I was going to say, too.

So, that's be a "huge +1," then?

:001_tongu

Chimensch
03-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't wear them myself (too old) but I like them on a cute girl.

Go West Young Man
03-25-2010, 01:20 PM
<Grandpa Simpson>

Wendy
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
And 1/5th the size.

Yes, and we would not be so fat. In Missouri the stats are 60% of people are overweight. I bet back in the day that was not the case. Maybe that is how these jeans originated. : ) I blew out a pair of mine just a few days ago. Maybe I should have held on to them for their style :confused1

Kouros
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Some faded and torn jeans look good. Some of the solid indigo jeans that attempt to look like dress pants are pretty lame.

warlandsboy
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
The torn & ripped ("destroyed" I think they call it now) jeans sell for top dollar at the type of mall stores that play the "UN TISS un tiss UN TISS un tiss" music.

LMAO :lol::lol:

I love wearing ripped jeans but in the summertime only. :thumbup1:

Andy
03-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Must admit, don't think much of the torn jeans look.
I normally throw mine out when they look that bad.
But to echo what others have said, bring back the fashion of the 30's / 40's.
3 piece suits and wingtip shoes :thumbup:

C Reed
03-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Ok, so I'm sure everyone knows that in the early 1970's, then again for a seccond in the early 1990's torn & ripped jeans were a trend that started with early punk in NYC and london, later recreated by suburban kids with myspace and Lookbook.nu accounts. It was very common to see someone wearing torn & ripped fringed out jeans with a leather jacket and hardcore rock shirt and leather boots 1970's, or with a post hardcore, scremo or emo band shirt and hoodie in the 1990's. Now-a-days I notice young adults wearing torn & ripped jeans with bright striped polo shirts and penny loafers. The torn & ripped (Destressed I think they call it now) jeans sell for top dollar at the type of mall stores that play the "UN TISS un tiss UN TISS un tiss" music. Does it seem strange that this rockin fashion fad from 30 and then 10 years ago has come back again, but now as a Bro fad?
What do you think about this?

FTFY

We saw ripped up jeans on some of the fash pack and runways a few seasons ago picking up on the deconstructed futurist thing that has been coming out of NYC for the last few years. Also recessions allways bring out distressed clothing on the runways and street style, now that its over we will probably see less ripped up clothes, its a trend thats over.

Also malls have nothing to do with fashion.

Ru4scuba?
03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Ugh...

Uncle Erik
03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I think ripped and torn jeans are just fine.

That is, when I'm painting one of the rental units, changing the oil on the motorcycle or tearing out old carpet.

The rest of the time, I prefer unsoiled clothes in good shape.

mretzloff
03-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't wear them myself (too old) but I like them on a cute girl.

Sorry to be off topic, but I really like your avatar. Did you design it yourself?

charger02
03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Not a fan of torn clothing as it provides no real function. Can't keep you warm, the tears can get larger with use, and you tend to look homely (imho of course). Waste of money.

Alacrity59
03-28-2010, 06:17 PM

And 1/5th the size.

But a nickel was worth a nickel back then.

Razdict
03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Ripped jeans are only cool if you close the gaps with rows of safety pins.

luvmysuper
03-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Fashion is circular in both terms of time and location. What is big now in Europe may be huge in the US next year and huge again in Europe in some variation in 10-20 yrs. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

This is truth. It all comes full circle.
Look at the current trend with hats.
You can hardly step outside now without seeing some 15 year old sporting a tweed skimpy brim.

Lame, unless you wear them with legwarmers . . . .

<cue Flashdance music> She's a maniac, maniac on the floor And she's dancing like she's never danced before </end Flashdance music>

<Grandpa Simpson>

"You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J. D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run out of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going?"
"Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah. I used my washtub that morning to clean my turkey, which back then was called a 'walking bird'. We had walking bird on Thanksgiving with cranberry sauce, potatoes, and stuffing full of gun powder. We also sat around and watched football, which back then was called baseball."

ExecAccess
03-28-2010, 11:10 PM
What I can't understand is that the ripped, torn, tatty jeans seem to often cost more than the pristine jeans. Yes I know there is extra manpower involved in wrecking the fabric, but even so?

Me? I love my jeans to age gracefully.

Aevum
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM
actually, they use lasers and acid to "damage" the jeans now,

personaly, i think its a waste and plain stupid to buy a pair of jeans thats been predamaged on purpose, its ok if you want to experiment on a old pair, but brand new ?, blah,

gentlemanfarmer
03-29-2010, 07:05 AM
It is not only jeans. In my area they sell hats, shirts and eveyything else already torn to pieces. I had a pair of jeans that were getting a little ragged. They were faded, my pocket knife had worn a hole in the front, snuff can ring and my spurs had torn the hem on the back of the legs. One of the guys from town said "those are great pants. Where did you buy them". I also would like to see some of the fashion from the 20's-40's come back. In those days people dressed with style.

thunderball
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Hmmm. They look alright on my 24 year old workmate, but they just wouldn't work on his 36 year old workmate (me). I think I'll leave the fake rips and tears back in '88-'91...it was fun back then but now just seems a bit...lame.

RBE17
03-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Anything that is torn or ripped now gets given to my Mom to repair. Then they become yard, garage or house work pants.