PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else put cinnamon in their tomato sauces?

Carlin
02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Just curious if anyone else puts cinnamon in their spaghetti sauce recipes. I find that many warm spices work very well with tomatoes!

If you haven't tried it, I challenge you to make some for a lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

texbilly
02-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I've cooked a few recipes that included it but not on a regular basis. What's your opinion about what it adds? Of course, sugar is commonly added to tomato sauces but I'm not a huge fan of it.

GoldenMonkey
02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I do the same thing Bill...I usually toss a bit of sugar in my sauce, but only if I need to balance out the acidity.

Carlin
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Not sure what it adds :P You gotta try it out, kinda hard to describe.

I also commonly add sugar to my tomato sauces only if its really acidic though. I hear salt also cuts out on acidity, but I don't know too much about that.

SiBurning
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Not in a straight tomato sauce. I do use it along with allspice, clove, and cumin to add a slight Lebanese flavor to a stew. See, e.g. Lebanese Seven Spice Rub

GoldenMonkey
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I find that if I'm using canned tomatoes or something like 6-in-1 or Pomi that the salt isn't necessary. I don't like using strictly salt-free ones though...

gearchow
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Kind of depends on what your making. If your making Italian sauce to go over spaghetti, I don't think so. cinnamon, oregano, basil... blehhh

But if it's some east asian thing, then that's the ticket. tomatos, cinnamon, anise, shallots, garlic, tamarind, thai chilis, ...

For sweetness I've added grated carrots or plain sugar, but mostly some tomato paste. Seems pretty sweet, don't know if there is added sugar.

-jim

SiBurning
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I think cinnamon helps bind earthy, bitter flavors to the brightness of other spices. I wouldn't use it alone, but only in combination with other spices, plus a nice selection of not-very-brightly flavored herbs, e.g. rosemary. Because it's bitter, it helps when eaten with sour things or cream, such as pickles and yogurt sauces. I wouldn't go with sugar or try this in anything remotely sweet, so I'm also careful about the choice of onions and stay away from carmelizing them because they get sweet.

texbilly
02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I do the same thing Bill...I usually toss a bit of sugar in my sauce, but only if I need to balance out the acidity.

J.J., I know folks who always add sugar, no matter the ingredients or the taste. As you can imagine, this sometimes results in a rather sweet sauce. :tongue_sm

MacArthur Mike
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Just curious if anyone else puts cinnamon in their spaghetti sauce recipes. I find that many warm spices work very well with tomatoes!

If you haven't tried it, I challenge you to make some for a lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

-1....sorry, tried it, don't like it. but that is just this my humble opinion.

Kouros
02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Sugar is unnecessary in tomato sauce. Just throw a whole carrot in the sauce while it is simmering and discard it when done. The carrot adds just the right amount of natural sweetness and absorbs all the acidity of the tomatoes.

texbilly
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Sugar is unnecessary in tomato sauce. Just throw a whole carrot in the sauce while it is simmering and discard it when done. The carrot adds just the right amount of natural sweetness and absorbs all the acidity of the tomatoes.

My bolognese recipe uses minced carrots but one time I incorrectly instructed my sous chef (my wife) on the amount and found out just how carrots can over-sweeten! But yes, carrots work wonderfully.

Alacrity59
02-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I think cinnamon helps bind earthy, bitter flavors to the brightness of other spices. I wouldn't use it alone, but only in combination with other spices, plus a nice selection of not-very-brightly flavored herbs, e.g. rosemary. Because it's bitter, it helps when eaten with sour things or cream, such as pickles and yogurt sauces. I wouldn't go with sugar or try this in anything remotely sweet, so I'm also careful about the choice of onions and stay away from carmelizing them because they get sweet.

I put cloves in sometimes especially for a sauce I will use for pizza or lasagna.

Iakona
02-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I will toss a tiny amount in if it tastes too acidic. I usually add veggies, meat and whatnot to classico and don't find the need. I tried some nob hill sauce lately and felt it was very acidic so I used the cinnamon. It's easy to overdue the cinnamon IMO, any more than the tiniest amount and you can really taste the cinnamon in the sauce.

Edcculus
02-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I've been known to add nutmeg to a great deal of Italian dishes, but never cinnamon.

Prince
02-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Garlic and fresh ground pepper are my staples. Cinnamon, not so much.

Master-Classter
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Try throwing in a few chopped anchovies! now that's something. They add a little salt plus a certain "meaty" flavor taht's hard to pinpoint but impactful.

bob.e
02-19-2010, 09:34 PM
I've had cinnamon in a tomato sauce it was OK but not my favorite

I add Oregano, Thyme and Fennel to my sauce, I also use some Italian Sweet and Hot Sausage in my sauce, 1 hot to 2 Sweet, and I always use Plum Tomatos.

Rughi
02-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Isn't cinnamon a key ingredient of what makes the tomato sauce of Cincinnati "chili"?

Since the Cincinnati thing is Greek, not Tex Mex, maybe a Greek pasta is what calls for the cinnamon

Roger

Kouros
02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I like spicy tomato sauce so I throw in lots of red pepper flakes.

Edcculus
02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Try throwing in a few chopped anchovies! now that's something. They add a little salt plus a certain "meaty" flavor taht's hard to pinpoint but impactful.
Hey, that sounds good! I think the word you are looking for is "umami"

winkydink
02-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I prefer grated carrot over sugar to offset the acidity in the tomatoes.

Masterofsparks
02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I use a little cinnamon in my chile when I make it and it drives people nuts trying to figure out what that little something that adds to the complexity of the flavor.

Kouros
02-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I use a little cinnamon in my chile when I make it and it drives people nuts trying to figure out what that little something that adds to the complexity of the flavor.

I add unsweetened dark chocolate and coffee to my chili for the same effect.

icon
02-20-2010, 11:54 PM
I prefer grated carrot over sugar to offset the acidity in the tomatoes.

+1, a glass of white wine gives a nice little taste too.

rm71
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm from an Italian heritage and I have never heard of anyone putting cinnamon in their pasta sauce.

Luc
02-21-2010, 01:37 AM
If I do that, I might get a few fingers cut off... Unless the tomato sauce is for something else like a stew...

I get big eyes when I put a bay leaf in there...

SHarris
02-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Cinnamon is used quite heavily in Sicilian cooking, as you'd expect geographically. My Uncle used to add it to his pasta sauce but I can't say I liked it that much.

As has been mentioned, a large percentage of carrot as part of a sofrito base of celery, onion and carrot will naturally sweeten the sauce anyway.

The "killer" ingredient though is star anise, you don't need much sounds odd but it really brings out the tomato, onion and meaty notes in classic spaghetti sauce.

rm71
02-21-2010, 03:32 AM
If I do that, I might get a few fingers cut off... Unless the tomato sauce is for something else like a stew...

I get big eyes when I put a bay leaf in there...

Mum puts a dried bay leaf in her sauce. It is acceptable:001_smile

TacoBell
02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey, that sounds good! I think the word you are looking for is "umami"

I think the definition of that word is, in fact, the word you are looking for.

I like nutmeg in my sauce, but meat sauce. I think it is the only spice in classic bolognese, besides salt.

Monkeydad
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM

No, but I always add nutmeg to my alfredo sauce.

Kouros
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
It's far from traditional, but a tablespoon of brandy stirred in just before serving adds a nice flavor.

troy1979
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
cuts the acid

Luc
02-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Mum puts a dried bay leaf in her sauce. It is acceptable:001_smile

My other half doesn't see it that way. I usually have a free pass to do what I want in the kitchen, except Italian dish. Those must remain traditional and, even if I found recipes with bay leaves, it didn't count! :lol:

lamina
02-25-2010, 07:30 AM
As a matter of fact, cinnamon is added in several industrial products:toothpaste, colas and other soft drinks or in your regular tomato ketchup. It enhances the flavor of things and, mainly,it is an inconscient reminder of your childhood tastes, between 87% and 97% of the all globe inhabitants love cinnamon taste because of the grandma's recipes, cereal bowl or cinnamon cookies of his chilhood or reminder of great experiences.And, of course, being known since Antiquity, Romans, then the Portuguese trade, Dutch and English it's now a cultural thing and a cornerstone of the world palate, a consensual one.

I never met someone who didn't like cinnamon...But, hey, there's a first time for everything, i think...!!!

Having a friend in cinnamon trade in Sri Lanka, cutting the bark, drying it and milling for export, they have some big brands among their customers...

JPM
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
My Italian grandma would disown me if I did such a thing. :lol::lol:

rvargas
02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Only when I make braised chicken. I do however often use star anise.

SilkySmooth
02-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone ever cut the acid in the sauce with baking soda?

Carlin
02-25-2010, 05:33 PM

I've seen it somewhere on TV! I haven't tried it myself, but besides cutting the acid, what other effects does the soda have?

Kouros
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Yes, it works but leaves an aftertaste.

lamina
02-26-2010, 04:36 AM
...but besides cutting the acid, what other effects does the soda have?

Boiling vegetables, mainly cabbage and other green leaves, adding a pinch of soda will prevent they turn yellow as chlorophyll disaggregates by heat.They will be greeneer on plate than without soda...It's a well-known trick here...

Dave Deluxe
02-27-2010, 06:47 PM
I use a very small amount of grated carrot in my sauce. . . . I see some others do that too.

DD

Kouros
02-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I also add a few drops of red food coloring to the sauce. It's an old restaurant trick to make the sauce more appetizing by enhancing eye appeal.

Gaston
02-28-2010, 02:29 PM

We do that, too. The easy way (no chopping or cleaning a greasy chopping board) is to simply push the onions, etc. that you've sauteed to the sides of the pan, dump the oil from the anchovies in the center along with the anchovies themselves, then just keep tapping/pressing them with the edge of your wooden spoon until they "melt". Stir it all together and you're ready for the tomatoes.

As to acidity, I often add a bit of dry red wine or lemon juice as we like it balanced, not sweet.

I don't add cinnamon to spaghetti sauce, but I use a stick or two of cinnamon bark a lot in other tomato dishes. They do work nicely together, especially in braised beef and onions with some tomato paste, and a generous amount of diced feta at the end.

troy1979
02-28-2010, 03:51 PM
you bet.

eyebright
03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
i put a little cinnamon stick in my tomato broth for chiles rellenos

Wendy
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM

I spent about an hour prepping my spaghetti sauce to put in crock to simmer tomorrow. I have a 7qt crock full of sauce. (Yes I am a pig from time to time but we will have people in and out all day) How much would you add? I am not a fan of spaghetti so I am always looking for recipe ideas.

Carlin
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I spent about an hour prepping my spaghetti sauce to put in crock to simmer tomorrow. I have a 7qt crock full of sauce. (Yes I am a pig from time to time but we will have people in and out all day) How much would you add? I am not a fan of spaghetti so I am always looking for recipe ideas.

No clue, perhaps it may be wise to take out a tiny bowl, and put in a dash of cinnamon just to see if you like it or not first!

maxman
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I put cinnamon in tomato sauce, but beware, you can overdo it. A little goes a long way. Also try some other earthy spices like allspice, nutmeg or cumin.
Again I say beware, a little goes a long way and you don't want it to taste too much like chili.
if you want a little something different, try a little bittersweet chocolate.

Kouros
03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
A simple tomato sauce should be nothing more than garlic, olive oil, San Marzano tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and sugar. Simmer that for about an hour until it has a velvety consistency.

shmeegs
03-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Big fan of it. I kinda found it out by accident (and because I am lazy). I had a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch for lunch but didn't feel like using a new bowl for my leftover spaghetti and after I nuked the ghetti, it tasted different. I liked it but haven't tried it yet making it, but I just might.