PDA

View Full Version : Chicken & Dumplings

rtaylor61
12-19-2009, 11:13 PM
A true comfort food. I plan to make this for our dinner on Christmas Eve. Pass on your recipe please!

Randy

Topgumby
12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Recipe?

rtaylor61
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Recipe?

Yeah, you know. Recipe. Your directions or explanation on how you prepare chicken & dumplings. OR does your signature explain your question? :001_tt2::crying::001_tongu

Randy

Topgumby
12-20-2009, 12:14 AM
DOH! I meant, what's your recipe? :blushing:

I make forty clove garlic chicken and use French bread for dumplings....

rtaylor61
12-20-2009, 12:35 AM
DOH! I meant, what's your recipe? :blushing:

I make forty clove garlic chicken and use French bread for dumplings....

LOL! Use a 3-4 lb chicken. Cut into the classic 8 pieces. Cover with an extra inch of water and bring to a boil. Then simmer(covered) until done, usually 1 hour to 1.25 hours. Remove the chicken and cool. Pull the chicken off the bone ala "pulled pork" style. Add 3 tablespoons of flour for a thickening agent. Make a biscuit dough and add back in teaspoon amounts. I also add two cloves of "garlic paste". My dad uses canned biscuits breaking each biscuit into 5 pieces. Simmer until done and then season with a little salt and a lot of fresh cracked pepper. Toss the chicken meat back into the mix. I also add a bit of Tabasco or crushed pepper flake.

I'm just looking for something new.

Randy

SRock
12-20-2009, 01:33 AM
This is one of my favorite winter meals. My Grandmother always made the very best chicken and dumplings. I look forward to your recipes!

thunderball
12-20-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't think I've ever even had this...that's what I get I guess for growing up deprived in the Great White North. Salmon and seal cakes with maple syrup for us, 5 days a week. Weekends was back bacon and Kokanee beer. I liked weekends.

I am going to have to try this one out. :thumbup1:

Carlin
12-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Oooh, I cheat when I make this, but it turns out really goood!

Make a chicken stock, up to 4 hours.

add chicken, add vegetables, add cream of chicken soup (thickening agent, and salt) and for my dumplings, i use just premade biscuit dough out of a can :P

Alacrity59
12-20-2009, 08:43 AM
This is the time of year for comfort food. :drool:

Dumplings:

1 Cups of flour
Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking powder
Cup Butter (or margarine)
1 Cup Milk (or as much to make the dumpling as liquid as you like . . . I like them to be fairly gloopy)
1 Bunch Chopped fresh parsley or Thyme (for me about 3 Tbsp of parsley or a couple of Tsp. of Thyme works)

rtaylor61
12-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Stayed with my usual recipe. The girls loved it enough to have two bowls each! This rates right up with a good stew for winter comfort food!

Randy

Mr. Clean
01-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Just saw this post. Chicken and Dumplings have been our Christmas Day lunch/dinner traditional meal for at least a decade (probably closer to 2 - which makes my next statement even more embarrassing). Though I'm embarrassed to say, I've never participated in the dumpling making process. (I know, shame on me :blushing:) My kitchen duties are confined to cooking the chicken and shredding it. I don't go to the trouble of cutting the chicken up, just plop the whole thing in the pot, after removing the skin. I include the neck bones and "innards" when provided. We have also made it with only boneless/skinless breasts. We love this meal!

After the de-boning process I toss all of the bones back into a pot add water and cook down. I then do a more thorough bone pickin' and use the meat and chicken stock to add to our She-Boxer's daily kibble.

barracudamagoo
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Chicken and Dumplins=The Greatest Meal on Earth!

StillShaving
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't think I've ever even had this...that's what I get I guess for growing up deprived in the Great White North. Salmon and seal cakes with maple syrup for us, 5 days a week. Weekends was back bacon and Kokanee beer. I liked weekends.

I am going to have to try this one out. :thumbup1:

OK....I think you are going to have to officially surrender your avatar. :001_tt2: