PDA

View Full Version : This and that

Pages : [1] 2 3

GFlanagan3
12-14-2009, 08:34 AM
just thought I'd start a post for odd news items...anything strange or unusual...all I ask is try to keep it apolitical...so to start it off...

Daniel Adler, 61, was arrested in October in
Stony Point, N.Y., and charged with assault. Police said Adler had
been solicited by a Sears Home Improvement telemarketer and had
agreed to an appointment but that when the employee arrived,
Adler allegedly punched him in the face. Adler said he had
scheduled the appointment only to "advise" Sears, in person, to
stop calling him. [KTLA-TV (Los Angeles), 10-26-09] [WABC-
TV (New York City), 10-12-09] :blink::blink::huh:

GFlanagan3
12-14-2009, 09:44 AM
CLINTON, Iowa (AP) - A 34-year-old Florida woman plans to be a graduate and bride on the same day in Iowa. Tricia Giordano said she has always been the kind of person who loves to stay busy. She was scheduled to get her degree on Saturday afternoon at Ashford University in Clinton, Iowa. Shortly after that, she planned to head across campus to the chapel and swap her cap and gown for a wedding dress.

Giordano is from Tampa, Fla., and she said it would have been too difficult for her and her fiance, Rich Munsey, to get all the relatives from different states together.

But the graduation in Iowa seemed to work for everyone.

The couple plans to move back to Florida.

GFlanagan3
12-14-2009, 09:46 AM
A book has been mailed back to an Ohio library after six decades, accompanied by an anonymous letter of remorse.

The biography "Napoleon" by Emil Ludwig recently arrived at Toledo's main library, with a brief note that read: "I removed this book from your stacks in 1949 and did not check it out. I apologize. It's an excellent book and in good condition."

The person who signed it "An ex-Toledoan" also wrote, "Carrying guilt for 60 years is a terrible thing."

Library spokeswoman Rhonda Sewell says the package, with its Beverly Hills, Calif., postmark, came as a shock. She says the holiday season may have moved the sender to right a longtime wrong.

Circulation clerk Harry Johnston speculates the book was taken by a high school student in a hurry.

GFlanagan3
12-14-2009, 09:50 AM
A Tennessee man's homeowners insurance apparently doesn't cover "acts of cow."

Jerry Lynn Davis called the Hawkins County Sheriff's office on Thursday, complaining that a neighbor's cows had been licking his house. In the process, Davis says the curious bovines did about $100 in damage by ripping off a screen window, cracking the glass and pulling down a gutter.

The Kingsport Times-News reports that Davis' home is just a couple of feet from a fence enclosing the cows' pasture. They managed to poke their heads through to lick the house, though a deputy's report did not indicate what made the house so tasty.

Deputy Chris Funk was able to contact the cows' owner, who said he'd take care of the problem.

COWS?:blink:

blackfoot
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Man learns to tell 'pigs' from cops

A New Zealand man who called police officers 'pigs' has been ordered to spend a day at a pig farm.

The 22-year-old has also been ordered to write an essay about the difference between pigs and police officers.

The man was charged with using offensive language after he hurled abuse at police during a trip to Auckland.

Community Magistrate Robyn Paterson at Tauranga District Court ordered him to spend a day at a pig farm and present a short essay on his experiences, reports The Bay of Plenty Times.

According to the newspaper, he wrote: "I was very, very drunk. I have stopped drinking because of what happened. I have wasted the police's time and my time."

He maintained the word pig could be found in the Oxford dictionary and was often used to describe police.

But added he had learned 'that there is nothing at all in common with a pig and an officer

GFlanagan3
12-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Man learns to tell 'pigs' from cops

A New Zealand man who called police officers 'pigs' has been ordered to spend a day at a pig farm.

The 22-year-old has also been ordered to write an essay about the difference between pigs and police officers.

The man was charged with using offensive language after he hurled abuse at police during a trip to Auckland.

Community Magistrate Robyn Paterson at Tauranga District Court ordered him to spend a day at a pig farm and present a short essay on his experiences, reports The Bay of Plenty Times.

According to the newspaper, he wrote: "I was very, very drunk. I have stopped drinking because of what happened. I have wasted the police's time and my time."

He maintained the word pig could be found in the Oxford dictionary and was often used to describe police.

But added he had learned 'that there is nothing at all in common with a pig and an officer

:lol::lol::lol::thumbup::thumbup: my police friends and relatives would be happy

GFlanagan3
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM

blackfoot
12-15-2009, 05:53 AM
OAP shoplifter lacks bite

A 70-year-old shoplifter tried to evade capture by biting an arresting officer before realising he'd left his dentures at home.

Pensioner Gustav Ernegger turned on the policeman when he grabbed him as he ran out of a clothes shop in Braunschweig, Germany, after stealing a shirt.

But instead of sinking his teeth into the officer's arm, he was only able to leave a wet mark from his gums.

Police spokesman Gunther Brauner said: "He tried to bite the officer several times, but had forgotten to put his false teeth in and so was unable to cause him any harm."

GFlanagan3
12-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Woman Claims Sex Change to Use Man's Ski Ticket
Thursday December 10, 2009
Sarah Nicole Fowke Mug ShotSometimes, the lie is far worse than the truth.

Police say a woman caught using her boyfriend's ski pass claimed she was in the middle of a sex-change operation when asked why she had a man's pass.

Police in Colorado say Sarah Nicole Fowke was stopped when trying to use a pass belonging to Nicholas Hemstreet. And that's when things got interesting.

Fowke told the resort she was in the middle of a sex change, and that her father had disowned her, according to cbs4denver.com. That was shocking news to Mr. Hemstreet, whose son (still apparently a man) eventually admitted he gave his pass to his girlfriend -- Fowke -- according to the report.

Don't worry, Sarah -- whether you're a man, a woman or can't decide, we don't discriminate in the Weird Crime Mug Shot Hall of Shame. You don't even have to worry about choosing a restroom -- we don't have one. (Love, Sex & Marriage)

GFlanagan3
12-15-2009, 09:31 AM
and for the pant-less.....you know who you are:
Rowing Across the Atlantic... Nude: One word can make all the difference in the world... especially if that word is "nude." For example: Rowing across the Atlantic: Not weird news. Rowing across the Atlantic nude: Totally weird news. Two women say stripping will help them get the job done faster and with less friction, according to UPI. That's actually true: I get all my work done faster when I'm nude. :blink::blink:

GFlanagan3
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
A Chilean Olympic weightlifter unexpectedly gave birth to a baby boy while she was training in a Brazilian gym, reports said Tuesday.

Elizabeth Poblete, 22, did not know she was pregnant, and called for a doctor when she felt unwell a week ago while hoisting weights in the Esporte Clube Pinheiros gym in Sao Paulo, where she lives, the news website Globo.com reported.

She then gave premature birth to the baby, who was doing well and whom she named Eric Jose after she got over her shock. Both mother and son were taken to the hospital Sao Luiz.

The baby, named Eric Jose, weighed just over a kilo at birth, and is stable but still in the hospital's intensive care unit.

The head weight trainer in the gym, Horacio Reis, said: "It was a surprise for me. A week ago I acted as a judge in a competition in Chile and this girl was competing. All went well and she won the competition.

"I could see she was a big girl, round and strong. That's all I noticed."

Doctors calculated Poblete must have been six months pregnant. The training and diet observed by female weightlifters can cause irregular menstruation.

Poblete competed for Chile in the Beijing Olympics last year. She had been seeking to beef up her body to move from the 75-kg category to 85 kg over the past few months.
:001_huh:

blackfoot
12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
A Chilean Olympic weightlifter unexpectedly gave birth to a baby boy while she was training in a Brazilian gym, reports said Tuesday.

Elizabeth Poblete, 22, did not know she was pregnant, and called for a doctor when she felt unwell a week ago while hoisting weights in the Esporte Clube Pinheiros gym in Sao Paulo, where she lives, the news website Globo.com reported.

She then gave premature birth to the baby, who was doing well and whom she named Eric Jose after she got over her shock. Both mother and son were taken to the hospital Sao Luiz.

The baby, named Eric Jose, weighed just over a kilo at birth, and is stable but still in the hospital's intensive care unit.

The head weight trainer in the gym, Horacio Reis, said: "It was a surprise for me. A week ago I acted as a judge in a competition in Chile and this girl was competing. All went well and she won the competition.

"I could see she was a big girl, round and strong. That's all I noticed."

Doctors calculated Poblete must have been six months pregnant. The training and diet observed by female weightlifters can cause irregular menstruation.

Poblete competed for Chile in the Beijing Olympics last year. She had been seeking to beef up her body to move from the 75-kg category to 85 kg over the past few months.
:001_huh:

That is weird!

GFlanagan3
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
We have all heard the 'man bites dog' stories, but how about a real-life 'man marries dog' tale!

This one takes the biscuit, and it could only happen in India, the land of the Kama Sutra.

But you won't find this kind of love story between man and beast in the ancient Indian sex manual.

It took place for real during a traditional hindu ceremony at a temple in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.

The groom in question was a 33-year-old Indian farmer named Selvakumar, and he was wed to a female dog named Selvi.

He married his four legged bitch to atone for stoning two other dogs to death and stringing them up in a tree 15 years ago.

He believed the act cursed him and he had been suffering ever since, he told the Hindustan Times.

After he stoned the dogs he said his legs and hands got paralysed, he lost hearing in one ear, and his speech was impaired.

With doctors unable to help him, Selvakumar turned to an astrologer who told him he was cursed by the spirits of the dogs he had killed.

He could undo the curse only if he married a dog and live with it, the soothsayer warned.

Family members chose a stray female dog who was then bathed and clothed for the wedding occasion.

Selvi the bride was brought to the temple by village women and a Hindu priest conducted the ceremony.

The paper showed a picture of Selvakumar sitting next to his canine bride, which was adorned in an orange sari and flower garland.

The paper said the groom and his family then had a feast, while the dog got a bun.

It was reported that Selvi attempted to make a bolt for it -- apparently due to the big crowds -- but she was tracked down and returned to her new 'husband'.

"The dog is only for lifting the curse and after that, he plans to get a real bride," a friend of the groom said.

Deeply superstitious people in rural India sometimes organize weddings to dogs and other animals, believing it can beat certain curses.
SO much I could say to that story.....but I won't :blink::blink:

blackfoot
12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
SO much I could say to that story.....but I won't :blink::blink:

Same here!

GFlanagan3
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Same here!

best to just let..it..go :lol:

blackfoot
12-16-2009, 07:06 AM
A Taunton father is outraged after his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and required to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick-figure picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

The father said he got a call earlier this month from Maxham Elementary School informing him that his son, a second-grade student, had created a violent drawing. The image in question depicted a crucified Jesus with Xs covering his eyes to signify that he had died on the cross. The boy wrote his name above the cross.

“As far as I’m concerned, they’re violating his religion,” the incredulous father said.

He requested that his name and his son’s name be withheld from publication to protect the boy.

The student drew the picture shortly after taking a family trip to see the Christmas display at the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, a Christian retreat site in Attleboro. He made the drawing in class after his teacher asked the children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas, the father said.

“I think what happened is that because he put Xs in the eyes of Jesus, the teacher was alarmed and they told the parents they thought it was violent,” said Toni Saunders, an educational consultant with the Associated Advocacy Center.

Saunders is working with the boy’s parents after a mutual acquaintance referred them to her.

“When I got that call, I was so appalled that I had to do something,” Saunders said.

“They weren’t looking at the fact that this is an 8-year-old child with special needs,” she added. “They made him leave school, and they recommended that a psychiatrist do an evaluation.”

The school, in fact, required the evaluation before the boy could return, the father said.

Maxham School principal Rebecca Couet referred all questions on the matter to the superintendent’s office.

Superintendent Julie Hackett said district policy prevents her from discussing a “confidential matter regarding a student.”

“Generally speaking, we have safety protocols in place,” Hackett said. “If a situation warrants it, we ask for outside safety evaluations if we have particular concerns about a child’s safety. We followed all the protocols in our system.”

Hackett refused to specifically discuss the student’s drawing or the school’s reaction to it.

The father was flabbergasted when he learned his son had to undergo an evaluation.

“When she told me he needed to be psychologically evaluated, I thought she was playing,” he said.

The man said his son, who gets specialized reading and speech instruction at school, has never shown any tendency toward violence.

“He’s never been suspended,” he said. “He’s 8 years old. They overreacted.”

The boy made the drawing and was sent home from school on Dec. 2. He went for the psychological evaluation — at his parents’ expense — the next day and was cleared to return to school the following Monday after the psychological evaluation found nothing to indicate that he posed a threat to himself or others.

The boy, however, was traumatized by the incident, which made going back to school very difficult, the father said. School administrators have approved the father’s request to have the boy transferred to another elementary school in the district.

This is not the first time in recent years that a Taunton student has been sent home over a drawing. In June 2008, a fifth-grade student was suspended from Mulcahey Middle School for a day after creating a stick figure drawing that appeared to depict him shooting his teacher and a classmate.

The Mulcahey teacher also contacted the police to take out charges in the 2008 incident.

http://www.tauntongazette.com/archive/x1903566028/g11300067880f4ba02507a12123364b35505f2dee07ba03.jp g

What a load of crap. Sorry, this may be too political or controversial. If so, I am sorry.

GFlanagan3
12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
A Taunton father is outraged after his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and required to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick-figure picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

The father said he got a call earlier this month from Maxham Elementary School informing him that his son, a second-grade student, had created a violent drawing. The image in question depicted a crucified Jesus with Xs covering his eyes to signify that he had died on the cross. The boy wrote his name above the cross.

“As far as I’m concerned, they’re violating his religion,” the incredulous father said.

He requested that his name and his son’s name be withheld from publication to protect the boy.

The student drew the picture shortly after taking a family trip to see the Christmas display at the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, a Christian retreat site in Attleboro. He made the drawing in class after his teacher asked the children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas, the father said.

“I think what happened is that because he put Xs in the eyes of Jesus, the teacher was alarmed and they told the parents they thought it was violent,” said Toni Saunders, an educational consultant with the Associated Advocacy Center.

Saunders is working with the boy’s parents after a mutual acquaintance referred them to her.

“When I got that call, I was so appalled that I had to do something,” Saunders said.

“They weren’t looking at the fact that this is an 8-year-old child with special needs,” she added. “They made him leave school, and they recommended that a psychiatrist do an evaluation.”

The school, in fact, required the evaluation before the boy could return, the father said.

Maxham School principal Rebecca Couet referred all questions on the matter to the superintendent’s office.

Superintendent Julie Hackett said district policy prevents her from discussing a “confidential matter regarding a student.”

“Generally speaking, we have safety protocols in place,” Hackett said. “If a situation warrants it, we ask for outside safety evaluations if we have particular concerns about a child’s safety. We followed all the protocols in our system.”

Hackett refused to specifically discuss the student’s drawing or the school’s reaction to it.

The father was flabbergasted when he learned his son had to undergo an evaluation.

“When she told me he needed to be psychologically evaluated, I thought she was playing,” he said.

The man said his son, who gets specialized reading and speech instruction at school, has never shown any tendency toward violence.

“He’s never been suspended,” he said. “He’s 8 years old. They overreacted.”

The boy made the drawing and was sent home from school on Dec. 2. He went for the psychological evaluation — at his parents’ expense — the next day and was cleared to return to school the following Monday after the psychological evaluation found nothing to indicate that he posed a threat to himself or others.

The boy, however, was traumatized by the incident, which made going back to school very difficult, the father said. School administrators have approved the father’s request to have the boy transferred to another elementary school in the district.

This is not the first time in recent years that a Taunton student has been sent home over a drawing. In June 2008, a fifth-grade student was suspended from Mulcahey Middle School for a day after creating a stick figure drawing that appeared to depict him shooting his teacher and a classmate.

The Mulcahey teacher also contacted the police to take out charges in the 2008 incident.

http://www.tauntongazette.com/archive/x1903566028/g11300067880f4ba02507a12123364b35505f2dee07ba03.jp g

What a load of crap. Sorry, this may be too political or controversial. If so, I am sorry.
well OBVIOUSLY to some it may be...but it is my thread and I don't think so....sadly....I am NOT surprised but I won't comment any farther

GFlanagan3
12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
79541 A Brazilian toddler has up to 50 sewing needles inside him, which doctors suspect were deliberately inserted.

The two-year-old boy was taken to hospital by his mother. X-rays revealed the needles, including one in his lung.

His mother said she did not know how the needles, some 2in (5cm) long, got inside him. Police are investigating.

A doctor said it was unlikely the boy had swallowed them. Most of them will be removed, but not the ones inside organs as that could cause more damage.

Dr Luiz Cesar Soltoski told Associated Press news agency: "We think it could have only been by penetration because we found needles in the lung, the left leg and in different parts of the thorax.

"It couldn't have been by ingestion."

The boy was taken to a hospital in the small north-eastern city of Ibotirama, before being transferred to a larger hospital in Barreiras, in the state of Bahia.

He is in intensive care.

There were no signs of wounds on the boy, doctors said.

blackfoot
12-16-2009, 04:49 PM
That one is really weird. :001_huh:

GFlanagan3
12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
STOCKHOLM (Nov. 28) -- Swedish police say they've cleared a man who was arrested for allegedly murdering his wife after deciding the culprit was most likely a moose.
Police spokesman Ulf Karlsson says "the improbable has become probable" in the puzzling death last year of 63-year old Agneta Westlund. She was found dead after an evening stroll in the forest.
According to news reports, the victim's husband, Ingemar Westlund, was jailed for 10 days. The case against him was dropped in January.
Karlsson declined to give details of the case Saturday, saying a news conference would be held Tuesday.
The tabloid Expressen says hairs and saliva from a moose — aka a European elk — were found on the victim's clothes. Police would not immediately confirm that.

** so we can rule out chocolate or hair as the culprit? :lol::lol:

blackfoot
12-17-2009, 06:00 AM
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A New Zealand teen who was flashing her breasts at passing cars has been found guilty of disorderly behavior for the prank, which ended with her in a hospital after a distracted driver ran into her. Cherelle May Dudfield, 18, pleaded guilty to the charge when she appeared in Invercargill District Court, the Southland Times newspaper reported Wednesday.

Dudfield, egged on by her friends, was flashing passing motorists from a traffic island in the middle of a four-lane road in the southern city of Invercargill on Sept. 27.

The alcohol-fueled prank went awry when one of the vehicles crashed into her as she tried to run to the side of the road, police Inspector Olaf Jensen said.

"She was extremely lucky as the vehicle had slowed because of her behavior," he told The Associated Press. "She rolled up onto the bonnet (hood) and cracked the windscreen before she came down with some minor injuries and was taken to hospital."

The prank occurred in the city center, where a ban on alcohol use is in force, he noted.

Dudfield was fined $198.

GFlanagan3
12-17-2009, 09:35 AM
SPARTA, Wis. – Santa Claus is in trouble with the law in one western Wisconsin city. Police in Sparta said they cited a man dressed as Santa after witnesses told officers he stumbled out of a vehicle, approached several children playing in a yard, hugged them and demanded to know the whereabouts of his reindeer.

The man was cited for open intoxicants. The driver of the car in which he was riding was arrested for drunken driving.

** that is just plain creepy

GFlanagan3
12-17-2009, 09:37 AM
LAKEWOOD, Ohio – An Ohio restaurant is offering lifetime discounts to people willing to make an indelible display of their love for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Melt Bar & Grilled in the Cleveland suburb of Lakewood specializes in spins on the grilled cheese and says anyone with a tattoo of the classic sandwich will get 25 percent off.

The restaurant has hooked up for the promotion with a tattoo shop, which is offering its own discount on grilled cheese designs. John Forgus of Voodoo Monkey Tattoo says he's been getting creative, giving one person a tattoo of Popeye holding a grilled cheese sandwich instead of a spinach can.

*** let me see 25% off on a hopefully cheap sandwich cause a $50+ tattoo....I think I will pass

blackfoot
12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
PHOENIX - An Arizona music teacher whose students performed at a presidential inauguration event is on administrative leave after taking 40 high school students to a Hooters restaurant.

Paradise Valley school district spokeswoman Judi Willis says choir director Mary Segall accompanied the students to a performance in downtown Phoenix last week, and during the outing, they ate lunch at Hooters.

Willis says Segall explained that the restaurant, known for its waitresses' somewhat revealing attire, was the only place that could accommodate a group of that size. But district officials believe there were other options for lunch in the area.

The teacher plans on retiring in January, and Willis says she does not know if she'll return before then.

GFlanagan3
12-19-2009, 02:26 AM
(AP) MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - A Memphis attorney bit off part of a man's nose during a fight in a restaurant bathroom. A lawsuit filed by Greg Herbers claims attorney Mark Lambert attacked him last June after Herbers asked two men in a bathroom stall to get out so that he could use it.

The suit states that Lambert was at a urinal and had been carrying on a conversation with the men in the stall. Herbers claims Lambert pushed and grabbed him and bit off and swallowed part of his nose.

Lambert told WMC-TV he did bite off part of Herbers' nose, but spit it out. He claims he acted in self defense after Herbers assaulted him.

The police report said Herbers entire left nostril was missing. Herbers claims he suffered permanent disfigurement and will need plastic surgery and possibly a prosthetic nose.

Herbers is asking for $5 million in damages.

blackfoot
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
:ohmy:

GFlanagan3
12-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Any slacker living over his parents' garage can make pot brownies. Gourmet chefs are taking the art of cooking with marijuana to a higher level.

In Denver, a new medical-marijuana shop called Ganja Gourmet serves cannabis-infused specialties such as pizza, hummus and lasagna. Across town in the Mile-High City, a Caribbean restaurant plans to offer classes on how to make multi-course meals with pot in every dish. And in Southern California, a low-budget TV show called "Cannabis Planet" has won fans with a cooking segment showing viewers how to use weed in teriyaki chicken, shrimp capellini and steak sandwiches.

The evolution of pot cooking was perhaps inevitable given the explosion of medical marijuana around the country in recent years. Many health-conscious patients would rather eat the drug than smoke it. And they would prefer to eat something other than sugary treats.

"When I started using marijuana, I was eating a brownie every day. I gained a ton of weight," said Michael DeLao, a former hotel chef who hosts the "Cannabis Planet" cooking segments on Los Angeles' KJLA. "Then I learned how to really cook with marijuana, and once more people learn about all the possibilities, we're going to see a lot more people wanting this in their food."

Ganja Gourmet's menu includes lasagna ("LaGanja"), "Panama Red Pizza" and an olive tapenade called "ganjanade," along with sweets such as cheesecake, muffins and brownies. Employees wear tie-dyed T-shirts that proclaim, "Our food is so great, you need a license to eat it!!!"

All patrons at the Ganja Gourmet must show a medical marijuana card that proves they have a doctor's permission to use pot for some kind of malady. The place opened last week, and so far, 90 percent of its business has been takeout.

The food isn't cheap. A whole pizza sells for $89, and a dozen sweet treats called Almond Horns cost $120.

"The food is really good," said Jamie Hillyer, a 41-year-old medical marijuana patient who paid $12 for a serving of vegetable LaGanja. Hillyer said that he can't taste the weed in the food and that it gives him a "more mellow" buzz than smoking pot.

Chefs are able to use marijuana in cooking because its key ingredient, the mind-altering drug THC, is fat-soluble, meaning it binds with oils or fats.

Marijuana chefs put leaves or buds in a food processor and grind the marijuana into green flour. Then they add the flour to oil or butter, cook it slowly for up to a couple of days while the THC binds to the fat, and strain out the green flakes.

The result is "cannabutter," or butter that makes a diner high. Chefs say 2 teaspoons of cannabutter typically contain the amount of THC in an ounce of weed.

The pot-infused oils and butters have a greenish tint and an earthy taste, but chefs say the flavor can easily be masked with garlic or other herbs and spices.

Denver's 8 Rivers Modern Caribbean restaurant does not serve pot-infused food, but its husband-and-wife owners, Scott Durran and Wanda James, plan to offer cooking-with-marijuana classes starting next month. They also own a medical marijuana dispensary, which they hope will eventually offer take-home soups and roasted chicken.

Marijuana chefs say it takes 20 minutes to two hours for the pot-laced food to produce a high. The biggest problem, they say, is that users often eat too much, thinking the food isn't working. While you can't exactly overdose on marijuana food, people who eat too much may feel more sluggish or disoriented than they would like.

So at Ganja Gourmet, customers are allowed to eat only one menu item every 45 minutes.

(The drug takes so long to start working that there's little chance of a customer developing a case of the munchies and getting hungrier the more he ate.)

Ganja Gourmet owner Scott Horowitz tried to get liability insurance of the sort bars take out to protect themselves against damage caused by intoxicated patrons. But he said he couldn't any insurers selling similar coverage for pot shops.

Ganja Gourmet does offer customers a ride home if they need one. "If someone leaves my place wasted, I'm liable," Horowitz said.

Horowitz's liability worry may be shortlived. Denver's City Council is considering an ordinance banning dispensaries from allowing marijuana to be smoked or eaten on site.

I mean...ok what's the use...there is no adequate comment for this one. Of course it takes the munchies to a whole new level.

blackfoot
12-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I mean...ok what's the use...there is no adequate comment for this one. Of course it takes the munchies to a whole new level.

+1! :lol:

SEATTLE - Police say an 18-foot-tall totem pole stolen from a West Seattle park has been found about 200 miles away in Oregon.

The Seattle Times reports a 69-year-old West Seattle man led investigators to the pole. Police say he apparently had a crew with a crane help move the totem, but it's unclear if the crew knew the man didn't have permission to take the landmark.

The totem pole was noticed missing last week. The Rotary Club of West Seattle donated the pole to the city in 1976 and estimates it would have cost about $75,000 to replace.

At the request of Seattle investigators, authorities in Oregon went to an address provided by the 69-year-old man and found the pole on a boat trailer in a Salem-area parking lot.

Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson says the pole appears to be undamaged, and detectives are putting together a case to send to the prosecutor's office.

Why? :confused1

GFlanagan3
12-20-2009, 11:51 AM
+1! :lol:

SEATTLE - Police say an 18-foot-tall totem pole stolen from a West Seattle park has been found about 200 miles away in Oregon.

The Seattle Times reports a 69-year-old West Seattle man led investigators to the pole. Police say he apparently had a crew with a crane help move the totem, but it's unclear if the crew knew the man didn't have permission to take the landmark.

The totem pole was noticed missing last week. The Rotary Club of West Seattle donated the pole to the city in 1976 and estimates it would have cost about $75,000 to replace.

At the request of Seattle investigators, authorities in Oregon went to an address provided by the 69-year-old man and found the pole on a boat trailer in a Salem-area parking lot.

Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson says the pole appears to be undamaged, and detectives are putting together a case to send to the prosecutor's office.

Why? :confused1

he couldn't find a drug store Indian? beats the smurf out of me

GFlanagan3
12-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Maybe it was nine lives, but one feline is lucky to be alive after he was found with his paws glued to a Minnesota interstate, KSFY.com reported.

A couple saw the cat on the side of the road and thought it had been injured by a car, the KSFY.com reported. But the cat was stuck, though its paw pads were ripped off by the glue when the couple removed him from the road, the site reported.

Members of animal adoption organization, Second Chance Rescue, expressed outrage at the treatment of the cat, which has been named Timothy.

"It's a mouth dropper because you are just like are you kidding me? But they did it," Rosey Quinn, member of Second Chance Rescue, told KSFY.com.

Timothy is currently with a foster family as he recovers. Second Chance members say he may be up for adoption eventually.
I think someone needs to be glued down too. I am NOT an animal rights activist but that is in NO way right or humane!

blackfoot
12-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I think someone needs to be glued down too. I am NOT an animal rights activist but that is in NO way right or humane!

I agree! There is no call for that kind of stupidity.

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Florida Man Reports Robbery, Ends Up in Handcuffs

VERO BEACH, Fla. — A 21-year-old Vero Beach man who called authorities to say he'd been robbed ended up in handcuffs.

Deputies responding to William Elliot McElrath's home learned his neighbor's apartment was also recently burglarized. Investigators found out the two places shared an attic, and say McElrath eventually confessed Thursday to climbing up and dropping into the other apartment, stealing a ring and $5,000 bracelet.

McElrath is also accused of robbing a nearby home of $20 while its occupant was taking a shower.

He was arrested on charges of burglary, grand theft, dealing in stolen property and making a false report to law enforcement.

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 09:45 AM
BOSTON — Police say a frustrated Boston woman called 911 to say she couldn't get her 14-year-old son to stop playing video games and go to sleep. Police spokesman Officer Joe Zanoli said Monday the mother called for help around 2:30 a.m. Saturday to say that the teenager also walked around the house and turned on all the lights.

Two officers who responded to the house persuaded the child to obey his mother.

Zanoli says the mother's 911 call over video game obsession "was a little unusual, but by no means is it surprising — especially in today's day and age when these kids play video games and computer games."

The Boston Herald first reported the 911 call, saying the boy was playing the popular "Grand Theft Auto" game.

UNbelieveable :001_huh::001_huh::blink::blink:

blackfoot
12-22-2009, 03:34 PM
BOSTON — Police say a frustrated Boston woman called 911 to say she couldn't get her 14-year-old son to stop playing video games and go to sleep. Police spokesman Officer Joe Zanoli said Monday the mother called for help around 2:30 a.m. Saturday to say that the teenager also walked around the house and turned on all the lights.

Two officers who responded to the house persuaded the child to obey his mother.

Zanoli says the mother's 911 call over video game obsession "was a little unusual, but by no means is it surprising — especially in today's day and age when these kids play video games and computer games."

The Boston Herald first reported the 911 call, saying the boy was playing the popular "Grand Theft Auto" game.

UNbelieveable :001_huh::001_huh::blink::blink:

This irritates me to no end. I was at someone's house once and saw the mother tell the kid, (mid to upper teens) to get off the computer several times. She even pulled his arm, trying to get him off the computer. He pulled away from her and kept playing. She eventually walked away. The thing that disgusts me is, it wasn't his fault. That was how his parents trained him. They never taught him to obey them.

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 04:53 PM
This irritates me to no end. I was at someone's house once and saw the mother tell the kid, (mid to upper teens) to get off the computer several times. She even pulled his arm, trying to get him off the computer. He pulled away from her and kept playing. She eventually walked away. The thing that disgusts me is, it wasn't his fault. That was how his parents trained him. They never taught him to obey them.

+100...far different here I can tell you that!

blackfoot
12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
+100...far different here I can tell you that!

Same here. I think I was supposed to obey before I knew what they wanted. :lol:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Dec. 1) -- Court officials say a Birmingham woman who changed her name to Jesus Christ didn't live up to it when she reported for jury duty this week. The woman, previously named Dorothy Lola Killingworth, was sent to Judge Clyde Jones's courtroom for a criminal case Monday.
Court officials told The Birmingham News on Tuesday that the 59-year-old was excused because she was disruptive and kept asking questions instead of answering them.
Efforts to reach Christ for comment were unsuccessful.
Court administrator Sandra Turner said people there were shocked when the woman insisted her name was Jesus Christ and some potential jurors laughed out loud when her name was called.
But Turner said that unlike some Jefferson County residents, Christ didn't try to get out of jury duty and was "perfectly happy to serve."

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
BEIJING (Reuters) – A man who killed and ate what may have been the last wild Indochinese tiger in China was sentenced to 12 years in jail, local media reported on Tuesday.

Kang Wannian, a villager from Mengla, Yunnan Province, met the tiger in February while gathering freshwater clams in a nature reserve near China's border with Laos. He claimed to have killed it in self-defense.

The only known wild Indochinese tiger in China, photographed in 2007 at the same reserve, has not been seen since Kang's meal, the Yunnan-based newspaper Life News reported earlier this month.

The paper quoted the provincial Forestry Bureau as saying there was no evidence the tiger was the last one in China.

A local court sentenced Kang to 10 years for killing a rare animal plus two years for illegal possession of firearms, the local web portal Yunnan.cn reported. Prosecutors said Kang did not need a gun to gather clams.

Four villagers who helped Kang dismember the tiger and ate its meat were also sentenced from three to four years for "covering up and concealing criminal gains," the report said.

Kang was also fined 480,000 yuan ($70,000).

The Indochinese tiger is on the brink of extinction, with fewer than 1,000 left in the forests of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar.
His defense? I eat him or he was gonna eat me:lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
TOKYO (Reuters) – A Japanese man has married a character in a popular video game, taking her -- and his handheld game console -- on an overseas honeymoon.

The man, who prefers to use his online moniker SAL9000, met character Nene Anegasaki while playing dating simulation game "Love Plus."

They got married a few weeks ago, broadcasting their ceremony live on Japan's version of video-sharing website Youtube.

SAL9000, who did not want to reveal his real name for fear of being misunderstood, admits to be an "otaku," a breed of Japanese youth obsessed with video games, computers and fantasy worlds.

"In the Japanese otaku or nerd culture, there's a tradition of calling characters my wife, and I sort of thought of Nene as my wife. Since I was calling her that, I thought we'd just have to get married then," he told Reuters Television.

"If more people were to find ways of expressing themselves like this, I think it would make society a bit more interesting."

The newlyweds, who went on a honeymoon to Guam, now go on dates around Tokyo, with SAL9000 taking pictures of Nene, installed in his Nintendo DS, in front of famous landmarks and then posting them on social networking sites.

As the game "Love Plus" has voice recognition software, SAL9000 says it's possible to have a sort of conversation with Nene or even play simple games such as rock, paper, scissors.

He also has vowed to have and to hold, for better and for worse, even if another, updated version of the game is released.

"I think I'll probably continue playing Love Plus. I won't cheat," SAL9000 said.
talk about too much time on your hands....:lol::lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Man with 5-inch knife stuck in chest orders coffee
WARREN, Mich. – A 52-year-old man complained only about the cold weather before walking into a diner with a five-inch knife sticking out of his chest. The unnamed man called a Warren 911 operator on Sunday night to ask that an ambulance be sent to Bray's, an eatery in neighboring Hazel Park. He said he had been stabbed during a robbery attempt half a mile away, then walked to the restaurant and called 911 from a pay phone.

On a recording of the call, the man gives a vague description of his attacker before saying, "I'm gonna sit down at Bray's 'cause they got a chair and it's cold out here."

Restaurant employee George Mirdita told The Detroit News the man calmly ordered coffee.

Police said Tuesday that the man is recovering.
apparently they stole his coffee too

GFlanagan3
12-22-2009, 09:43 PM
another of those "what-is-going-on-in New-Zealand" type stories

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Police picked up two naked men on a late night bike ride in a New Zealand town but let them off with a warning: put on helmets.

"They were wanting to experience total freedom," said Senior Constable Cathy Duder, who stopped the pair about 10 p.m. on a recent night in the beach resort town of Whangamata. She told them: "You may experience total confinement. You should head home and get helmets."

The duo turned tail and headed directly back to their house, Duder told The Associated Press on Wednesday. She said she did not see them again during her shift, and it was not known if they donned helmets and resumed their ride.

Public nudity can attract a charge of offensive behavior in New Zealand, but Duder said she cut the two men a break.

"It was dark and there was no one else around. They were jovial young men who had not intended to cause offense," she said.

She described the two as "happy young men in their mid-20s ... they appeared to be as sober as two judges."

The Dec. 7 encounter, which has only just come to light, probably signaled the start of what Duder described as summer hijinks in Whangamata, a popular surfing and holiday getaway where partying is common during Christmas and New Year season.
"happy young men in their mid-20s".....must RESIST URGE TO....COMMENT!!!!

blackfoot
12-23-2009, 06:02 AM
talk about too much time on your hands....:lol::lol::lol:

And not enough...oh, never mind. :001_rolle

apparently they stole his coffee too

This cracks me up. We had a guy, several years ago, brought to the ER with a serving fork in his chest. Barely missed his heart. It was Thanksgiving. Him and his wife got into a fight and she stabbed him. He was laughing about it and said he won that fight. He said, I'll get stitched up and go home. That B**** is going to jail and now has a record."

"happy young men in their mid-20s".....must RESIST URGE TO....COMMENT!!!!

You and me both! :lol:

Swampfox
12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
This. Blake wants this for Christmas...er, Festivus.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/bcdc_red_shirt_star_trek_cologne.jpg

Description:

Smell like there's no tomorrow

The word just came across the intercom - you're needed for the away team mission. It's your first; you better look and smell your best. So you break out your Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne - the galaxy's first cologne made especially for you. The first cologne made especially for all of those brave warriors who wear the color red and never return from the planet's surface. That's right, you're probably toast, but at least you'll smell good on the way out.
Scent of Fear

Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne is both silly and not all at once. Sure it's mocking all the poor extras who filled the role of cannon fodder for Kirk and his crew, but it also smells really dang nice too. Because sometimes you just need to smell your best, and Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne is a way to do it in style. And who knows, you might not just be an extra destined to die - you could very well be this week's guest star. See, it might not be all bad! Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne - because tomorrow may never come.

Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne

* Smell like the future, because tomorrow may never come.
* Scent: Bright, clean and direct with top notes of green mandarin, bergamot and a hint of lavender (your hope), finishing with base notes of leather and grey musk (your smoldering shoes after you've been vaporized).

GFlanagan3
12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
This cracks me up. We had a guy, several years ago, brought to the ER with a serving fork in his chest. Barely missed his heart. It was Thanksgiving. Him and his wife got into a fight and she stabbed him. He was laughing about it and said he won that fight. He said, I'll get stitched up and go home. That B**** is going to jail and now has a record."

same sort of thing when I worked in the ED in the early 90's except not QUITE as dangerous. A guy comes in as a stabbing victim on Thanksgiving-we are all thinking..GREAT!- luckily it was his hand..seems he was reaching for the last piece and his brother wanted it. So now he has 2 neat serving fork puncture holes in his hand.Plus I think he'd had some 'wild turkey' cause he was feeling NO pain before anesthesia!

blackfoot
12-23-2009, 03:57 PM
This. Blake wants this for Christmas...er, Festivus.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/bcdc_red_shirt_star_trek_cologne.jpg

Description:

Smell like there's no tomorrow

The word just came across the intercom - you're needed for the away team mission. It's your first; you better look and smell your best. So you break out your Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne - the galaxy's first cologne made especially for you. The first cologne made especially for all of those brave warriors who wear the color red and never return from the planet's surface. That's right, you're probably toast, but at least you'll smell good on the way out.
Scent of Fear

Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne is both silly and not all at once. Sure it's mocking all the poor extras who filled the role of cannon fodder for Kirk and his crew, but it also smells really dang nice too. Because sometimes you just need to smell your best, and Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne is a way to do it in style. And who knows, you might not just be an extra destined to die - you could very well be this week's guest star. See, it might not be all bad! Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne - because tomorrow may never come.

Red Shirt Star Trek Cologne

* Smell like the future, because tomorrow may never come.
* Scent: Bright, clean and direct with top notes of green mandarin, bergamot and a hint of lavender (your hope), finishing with base notes of leather and grey musk (your smoldering shoes after you've been vaporized).

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
12-23-2009, 05:48 PM
These are good times for a man who can put 11 rattlesnakes in his mouth.

Jackie Bibby, "The Texas Snakeman," is one of the top contenders in the race for the decade's most amazing world records.

He set Guinness' snake-in-the-mouth record in 2001 and has also entered books by getting in a tub with 87 slithering reptiles.
ok....WHAT possesed him to even TRY this?? and why would he keep it up?

GFlanagan3
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
* Ashrita Furman, who's Guinness royalty, setting 245 random world records -- 101 of which he still holds -- including the fastest time to run a mile with a milk bottle balanced on his head.
* Suresh Joachim, who holds the world's longest Michael Jackson-inspired moonwalk at 30 miles, could pull off an upset.

a few more people with more time than I have

blackfoot
12-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Their parents must be so proud.

GFlanagan3
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Their parents must be so proud.

or in witness protection?

blackfoot
12-23-2009, 06:24 PM
KERRVILLE, Texas -Prosecutors will review the case of a woman authorities claim has called 911 30 times over six months for non-emergency reasons, including a call to complain that her husband refused to eat his dinner. Last Friday, the woman allegedly made a pair of calls to 911, including a hang-up and another where a woman was heard screaming.
Police were dispatched to the residence and officer Paul Gonzales said police were told by her that "her husband did not want to eat his supper." A police report said the 53-year-old woman was also yelling "about things that happened two weeks ago."
The woman now faces charges of 911 abuse

GFlanagan3
12-23-2009, 07:08 PM
kerrville, texas -prosecutors will review the case of a woman authorities claim has called 911 30 times over six months for non-emergency reasons, including a call to complain that her husband refused to eat his dinner. Last friday, the woman allegedly made a pair of calls to 911, including a hang-up and another where a woman was heard screaming.
Police were dispatched to the residence and officer paul gonzales said police were told by her that "her husband did not want to eat his supper." a police report said the 53-year-old woman was also yelling "about things that happened two weeks ago."
the woman now faces charges of 911 abuse

GFlanagan3
12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Bathroom Product Sale. I think Ryan has quite a sense of humor. Do you think anyone actually bought the Dove Intense Moisture Shampoo or the Mach 3 Razor. Mint condition on that last one, even though it was used for a week. Maybe he doesn't have much to shave.
or doesn't know HOW to shave :001_tt2:

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 06:28 AM
SPOKANE, Wash. -Spokane County Sheriff's said a 56-year-old man was so incensed at a $70 repair bill he was owed, he rammed his truck into a Spokane church. The Spokesman-Review reported that a parishioner of the Country Crossroads Church, was arrested on Tuesday after he slammed his truck into the church building and ransacked the inside.
The Sheriff's Office said the tirade was apparently over a $70 repair bill the church owned the suspect for electrical work he had done. The man allegedly smashed nearly window, television, computer and light fixture inside the church.
Pastor Dan Eubank said there was thousands of dollars in damage.
Eubank told the paper he tried to pay the man with a check, but he wouldn't take it and he became enraged he couldn't get the payment in cash.
The suspect was booked into the Spokane County Jail for investigation of second-degree burglary and malicious mischief.

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 07:16 AM
SPOKANE, Wash. -Spokane County Sheriff's said a 56-year-old man was so incensed at a $70 repair bill he was owed, he rammed his truck into a Spokane church. The Spokesman-Review reported that a parishioner of the Country Crossroads Church, was arrested on Tuesday after he slammed his truck into the church building and ransacked the inside.
The Sheriff's Office said the tirade was apparently over a $70 repair bill the church owned the suspect for electrical work he had done. The man allegedly smashed nearly window, television, computer and light fixture inside the church.
Pastor Dan Eubank said there was thousands of dollars in damage.
Eubank told the paper he tried to pay the man with a check, but he wouldn't take it and he became enraged he couldn't get the payment in cash.
The suspect was booked into the Spokane County Jail for investigation of second-degree burglary and malicious mischief.
sounds like he needs to do more than repair the church...maybe go there some

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 07:23 AM
We know it's a recession and all, but come on, Santa. You can't just go around robbing banks because your elves need holiday bonuses.

Despite strong clues -- a red suit, a white beard, a reportedly "jovial" demeanor -- that suggest Tuesday's bank heist in Hermitage, Tenn., was the work of the real Kris Kringle, there are just as many factoids that lead us to believe that this bank robber was, in fact, a phony. The cool sunglasses, for one. Threats to "kill everyone," for another. Oh yeah, and that whole bank-robbing thing.

This sketchy Santa got the caper started by pulling a gun out of his bag, which we're pretty sure is usually full of toys, not weapons. He then demanded cash, and said that putting dye packs in with the bills would be grounds for murdering everybody.

Then, according to WKRN News, he cheerfully explained on his way out the door that he was off to "pay his elves," which we suspect is total crap. Everyone knows elves work for milk and cookies.

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 07:27 AM
f you ever doubted just how sinister Darth Vader is, look no further than Wall Street (ed:confused1). Not only did Vader command the Death Star, wield the Dark Side of the Force and nearly single-handedly wipe out the Jedi from the galaxy, the man works in the stock exchange.

With an honor guard of Clone Troopers at hand, the Dark Lord of the Sith rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange and then, presumably, force-choked everyone in the room to death before picking their pockets and investing their money wisely.

Though Vader was on hand with R2D2 as representatives from LucasFilm, you have to wonder if it's a good sign in the current economy that one of the most recognizable villains in film history was ringing that bell.

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 08:11 AM
We know it's a recession and all, but come on, Santa. You can't just go around robbing banks because your elves need holiday bonuses.

Despite strong clues -- a red suit, a white beard, a reportedly "jovial" demeanor -- that suggest Tuesday's bank heist in Hermitage, Tenn., was the work of the real Kris Kringle, there are just as many factoids that lead us to believe that this bank robber was, in fact, a phony. The cool sunglasses, for one. Threats to "kill everyone," for another. Oh yeah, and that whole bank-robbing thing.

This sketchy Santa got the caper started by pulling a gun out of his bag, which we're pretty sure is usually full of toys, not weapons. He then demanded cash, and said that putting dye packs in with the bills would be grounds for murdering everybody.

Then, according to WKRN News, he cheerfully explained on his way out the door that he was off to "pay his elves," which we suspect is total crap. Everyone knows elves work for milk and cookies.

He has a good sense of humour. I like that. :thumbup:

I knew a police officer that said his partner and him had a game they played. When they pulled people over, if the person made them laugh, they wouldn't write a ticket. One night, they found a guy driving real slow with his door open. They pulled him over and asked what he was doing. He said he was drunk and he had his door open so he could see the line so he wouldn't be swerving. They laughed pretty hard and wanted to let the guy go, but just couldn't.

Swampfox
12-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Don't laugh too hard. You can actually buy this from ThinkGeek.com (along with a lot of other cool stuff).

ok....WHAT possesed him to even TRY this?? and why would he keep it up?

he's a snake handler!

Smokey Mountain Rattlesnake Retreat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nidB3ONQdeg)

Wendy Bagwell~Rattlesnake story (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wne0Q3ZnjU)

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Don't laugh too hard. You can actually buy this from ThinkGeek.com (along with a lot of other cool stuff).

That is what is so funny! ThinkGeek is an awesome place!

Swampfox
12-24-2009, 12:18 PM
That is what is so funny! ThinkGeek is an awesome place!

It is! My wife and I were looking at it last night, and drooling over some of the stuff. I need an annoy-a-tron and an evil-tron.

Can you hear me?:lol:

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 12:26 PM
It is! My wife and I were looking at it last night, and drooling over some of the stuff. I need an annoy-a-tron and an evil-tron.

I need those too. :sneaky2:

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 08:05 PM

I need those too. :sneaky2:

They are called 'kids' and trust me..sometimes you WISH the batteries would run down :001_tt2: :wink:

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 08:14 PM
They are called 'kids' and trust me..sometimes you WISH the batteries would run down :001_tt2: :wink:

Yeah, been meaning to get me one of those too.

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 08:16 PM

they are a BLAST don't get me wrong...but man..sometimes!!!!

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 08:19 PM
they are a BLAST don't get me wrong...but man..sometimes!!!!

...you question the whether it is murder if you created them? :lol:

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 08:20 PM
...you question the whether it is murder if you created them? :lol:

well which state are we talking about?

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 08:23 PM
well which state are we talking about?

Dad tried to convince us we had another brother that didn't make it.

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Dad tried to convince us we had another brother that didn't make it.

you NEVER know :001_tt2:

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 08:47 PM
JOPLIN, Mo. -Some people won't be getting the Christmas presents they were expecting.
Missouri troopers seized about 20 pounds of marijuana from a car this week — some of it in luggage, and some in boxes wrapped as Christmas gifts.
The Highway Patrol says troopers found the marijuana in the car they stopped for speeding on Interstate 44 near Joplin.
Two California women in the car gave troopers permission to search the vehicle. Both were charged Tuesday with one marijuana-related count and released on $1,000 bond.

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 08:53 PM
JOPLIN, Mo. -Some people won't be getting the Christmas presents they were expecting.
Missouri troopers seized about 20 pounds of marijuana from a car this week — some of it in luggage, and some in boxes wrapped as Christmas gifts.
The Highway Patrol says troopers found the marijuana in the car they stopped for speeding on Interstate 44 near Joplin.
Two California women in the car gave troopers permission to search the vehicle. Both were charged Tuesday with one marijuana-related count and released on $1,000 bond.
you know...when I was younger giving mom home made pot holders meant something different.

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 08:55 PM
you know...when I was younger giving mom home made pot holders meant something different.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Know someone completely morbid? Maybe someone who hates rodents? Well, I'm sure there's someone on yourlist who would like genuine, freeze-dried squirrel feet earings. Please don't ask me where they get the feet, I sincerely don't want to know. Of course, if you do buy these for someone, you might want to make sure you don't spend too much time with them afterwards. After all, buying earrings for someone doesn't mean you ever want to be seen with the person wearing them.

skklog
12-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Know someone completely morbid? Maybe someone who hates rodents? Well, I'm sure there's someone on yourlist who would like genuine, freeze-dried squirrel feet earings. Please don't ask me where they get the feet, I sincerely don't want to know. Of course, if you do buy these for someone, you might want to make sure you don't spend too much time with them afterwards. After all, buying earrings for someone doesn't mean you ever want to be seen with the person wearing them.

the gold part is pretty!

blackfoot
12-24-2009, 09:18 PM
WALLINGFORD, Pa. -A suburban Philadelphia teenager was suspended for a day for wearing a Santa Claus suit to school.
Michael Hance says he told his principal that he planned to wear the suit to Strath Haven High School in Wallingford and hand out candy canes. The 18-year-old senior says the principal told him that wasn't a good idea because it would be a distraction. But he wore the suit anyway, with regular clothes underneath.
Hance got nabbed a few minutes after he walked into his first class on Tuesday. The school district says in a statement that Hance was suspended for the day for "defiance of authority."
Hance says the school could have just given him a detention.

How dare he defy Santa's authority!

GFlanagan3
12-24-2009, 09:48 PM
WALLINGFORD, Pa. -A suburban Philadelphia teenager was suspended for a day for wearing a Santa Claus suit to school.
Michael Hance says he told his principal that he planned to wear the suit to Strath Haven High School in Wallingford and hand out candy canes. The 18-year-old senior says the principal told him that wasn't a good idea because it would be a distraction. But he wore the suit anyway, with regular clothes underneath.
Hance got nabbed a few minutes after he walked into his first class on Tuesday. The school district says in a statement that Hance was suspended for the day for "defiance of authority."
Hance says the school could have just given him a detention.

How dare he defy Santa's authority!

someones on the naughty list :lol::lol:

blackfoot
12-25-2009, 08:27 AM
A German cannibal who admitted killing and eating a man he met over the internet was convicted of murder and sentence to life in prison today after a retrial that has kept Germany engrossed.

Armin Meiwes, a 44-year-old computer technician, was originally convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to eight years' jail over the killing in March 2001 of Bernd Juergen Brandes.

But that verdict was overturned by an appeals court to allow prosecutors to seek a tougher sentence.

In the retrial, which started in January, Meiwes's lawyers argued that the Frankfurt state court should instead convict him of the lesser offence of "killing on demand" - which carries a maximum sentence of five years - on the grounds that he was only following his victim’s wishes.
Related Links

Instead, Meiwes was found guilty both of murder and of "disturbing the peace of the dead".

Meiwes met Brandes, 43, from Berlin, after advertising on the web for a young man for "slaughter and consumption" and invited him to his farmhouse in the town of Roteburg.

The two men had sex before Meiwes severed his victim's penis, which they then fried and tried to eat. He later stabbed his bleeding, unconscious victim in the throat and cut away other parts of his body.

Meiwes admitted that he eventually ate some 20kg of Brandes’s flesh, accompanied by potatoes and a pepper or wine sauce, served on "good crockery".

But he testified that Brandes had wanted to die and had asked to be stabbed after drinking a bottle of cold medicine to lose consciousness. "Otherwise, I would never have done it," he said.

Legal arguments in the case have revolved around whether this was murder or the lesser crime of "killing on demand".

But what fascinated both the German press and public was the testimony in which Meiwes revealed his obsessions and lifted the lid on an underworld of cannibalism which Meiwes claims counts about 800 members in Germany.

Meiwes has told the court that he now regretted killing Brandes and has apologised to his victim’s boyfriend. But he has remained unrepentant about eating his flesh, saying it was the "ultimate kick" both of them were seeking.

Psychologists told the court that Meiwes was a mentally sane, if lonely, man who held down a steady job. Meiwes himself has said his cannibal fantasies began in his childhood, when his father abandoned his family, and he dreamt of eating one of his school friends so that somebody would stay with him forever.

He has also said that from his prison cell he still fantasises about killing people when he saw attractive young bodies on television or in magazines.

"I find this extremely worrying," state prosecutor Annette von Schmiedeberg told the court last week. He videotaped his meeting with Brandes, in what prosecutors said was a bid to make sure he could watch it again later to satisfy his fantasies.

The case inspired a US-made horror film Butterfly, A Grimm Love Story, which Meiwes succeeded in blocking on privacy grounds.

This is most disturbing.

GFlanagan3
12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
A German cannibal who admitted killing and eating a man he met over the internet was convicted of murder and sentence to life in prison today after a retrial that has kept Germany engrossed.

Armin Meiwes, a 44-year-old computer technician, was originally convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to eight years' jail over the killing in March 2001 of Bernd Juergen Brandes.

But that verdict was overturned by an appeals court to allow prosecutors to seek a tougher sentence.

In the retrial, which started in January, Meiwes's lawyers argued that the Frankfurt state court should instead convict him of the lesser offence of "killing on demand" - which carries a maximum sentence of five years - on the grounds that he was only following his victim’s wishes.
Related Links

Instead, Meiwes was found guilty both of murder and of "disturbing the peace of the dead".

Meiwes met Brandes, 43, from Berlin, after advertising on the web for a young man for "slaughter and consumption" and invited him to his farmhouse in the town of Roteburg.

The two men had sex before Meiwes severed his victim's penis, which they then fried and tried to eat. He later stabbed his bleeding, unconscious victim in the throat and cut away other parts of his body.

Meiwes admitted that he eventually ate some 20kg of Brandes’s flesh, accompanied by potatoes and a pepper or wine sauce, served on "good crockery".

But he testified that Brandes had wanted to die and had asked to be stabbed after drinking a bottle of cold medicine to lose consciousness. "Otherwise, I would never have done it," he said.

Legal arguments in the case have revolved around whether this was murder or the lesser crime of "killing on demand".

But what fascinated both the German press and public was the testimony in which Meiwes revealed his obsessions and lifted the lid on an underworld of cannibalism which Meiwes claims counts about 800 members in Germany.

Meiwes has told the court that he now regretted killing Brandes and has apologised to his victim’s boyfriend. But he has remained unrepentant about eating his flesh, saying it was the "ultimate kick" both of them were seeking.

Psychologists told the court that Meiwes was a mentally sane, if lonely, man who held down a steady job. Meiwes himself has said his cannibal fantasies began in his childhood, when his father abandoned his family, and he dreamt of eating one of his school friends so that somebody would stay with him forever.

He has also said that from his prison cell he still fantasises about killing people when he saw attractive young bodies on television or in magazines.

"I find this extremely worrying," state prosecutor Annette von Schmiedeberg told the court last week. He videotaped his meeting with Brandes, in what prosecutors said was a bid to make sure he could watch it again later to satisfy his fantasies.

The case inspired a US-made horror film Butterfly, A Grimm Love Story, which Meiwes succeeded in blocking on privacy grounds.

This is most disturbing.

That is just wrong on so many levels

GFlanagan3
12-25-2009, 09:33 AM
JENNINGS, La. — A South Carolina family passing through Jennings on their way to Texas was pulled over, hauled off to a church, "tried" for not stopping to enjoy local hospitality and "sentenced" to gumbo, presents and a tour.

"We do this every year at Christmastime to some unsuspecting out-of-town person," said Gayle Jones, a member of the Jennings Optimist Club, which has made it part of a more than 30-year holiday tradition.

Neither Leonard nor Lori Pavia of Greer, S.C., could figure out why the deputy had pulled them over as they headed to see friends in McAllen, Texas.

"I couldn't think of anything that I did wrong. I knew I wasn't speeding," Leonard Pavia said. Lori Pavia said her first reaction was to make sure that Sienna, 10, and Dakota, 12, had their seat belts on. They did.

Deputy Terry Guillory, who pulled the family over, said he spent several hours Monday morning on Interstate 10, waiting to find the perfect family to stop.

"I asked them if they'd like to be the guests of our town," Guillory said.

Leonard Pavia said the family left South Carolina on Sunday morning and had spent the night in Baton Rouge before continuing on their trip to Texas.

Assistant District Attorney Stacey Naquin was prosecutor in a mock trial at Immanuel Lutheran Church and local attorney David Marcantel was the defense attorney. Judge Daniel Stretcher sentenced the family to enjoy bowls of chicken-and-sausage gumbo, gift baskets from area merchants and a tour of Jennings.

Jones said she has met some interesting people over the years.

One year, they hosted members of an international parachute team.

"We had one young girl with her dog who was on the way to Florida to get married," Jones said. "And we've had a couple from New York who was headed to Mexico to spend Christmas with family."

"It's just a community service project we do each year to bring people in and show them our hospitality," member Leonra Dupuis said.
now that is a nice story

blackfoot
12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
now that is a nice story

Yes it is. :thumbsup:

skklog
12-25-2009, 09:57 AM
now that is a nice story

Yeah, but where are the cannibals

GFlanagan3
12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but where are the cannibals

Germany

blackfoot
12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Germany

:lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
12-26-2009, 10:23 AM
80632 MINERAL POINT, Wis. (AP) — A 15-year-old cheddar made in Wisconsin, possibly the most mature cheese for sale in the country, is selling well despite the $50-per-pound price tag, its producer said Saturday.

Hook's 15-year Sharp Cheddar, produced in 1994, went up for sale in a handful of outlets on Friday and has proven popular, said cheese maker Tony Hook.

"It started moving a lot faster than we expected," said Hook, 57, who — along with his wife and brother — runs Hook's Cheese Co in Mineral Point, Wisconsin. "People have been so excited about it."

The cheddar began as part of a gigantic batch that weighed 5,200 pounds. The Hooks let much of the batch age, and sold large chunks at the 10- and 12-year marks. But they felt it was aging so flavorfully that they saved 1,200 pounds to let it mature a few years longer, Hook said.

It's rare for cheddar to last that long, said John Umhoefer, the executive director of the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association.

"Fifteen years is a good stretch of time to hold a cheddar — perhaps as long as a cheddar can hold for most people's palates," Umhoefer told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Making a cheddar that ripe, without it turning bitter or acidic, is a rare skill."

Umhoefer said he thought Hook's cheddar could be the oldest available on the market. There may be older cheddars, he said, but those would be in private collections.

The average cheddar fan is probably used to fresher samples. Shredded samples available in grocery stores are probably one to two months old, Hook said.

But anyone who has cleaned moldy cheese from their refrigerator knows that even well-sealed samples don't keep for long, much less 15 years.

The secret is starting with precisely the right sample, Hook said, a sample that has no "off flavors" and progresses smoothly.

"Many cheddars will develop enough flavor, a bitter flavor in five to six months or a year. You wouldn't want to age something like that because it's going to get worse," he said. "You have to know what you're looking for when you're sampling."

The Hooks kept their samples vacuum-packed in plastic bags, which Hook said helped the aging process but kept the cheese fresh and edible.

But how does it taste?

"It's smooth, it isn't bitter, it doesn't have an off flavor. It doesn't have an acidic bite like a three-year. It's very flavorful," Hook said. "It's got a lot more cheddar flavor."

Hook recommends pairing the cheddar with wine and a good cracker or bread.

"I certainly wouldn't put it in anything. It would be a waste of flavor to put it in mac 'n' cheese or something like that," he said with a laugh.

At least one customer bought the cheese on principle.

"Cheese making is an art form," Brian Morello, who bought a ¾-pound hunk of the vintage cheddar at Larry's Market in Milwaukee, told the Journal Sentinel. "I consider my purchase to be a form of cheese philanthropy. For $50, I supported the arts and got a great piece of cheese."

blackfoot
12-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Holy cow!

GFlanagan3
12-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Holy cow!

The Czar should know of this!

GFlanagan3
12-26-2009, 04:08 PM
For gamers, Christmas can, indeed, come early.

Because here is every gamer's dream wrapped up in a Christmas paper so beautiful that you might never play Guitar Hero in a living room ever again.

Please hail Ric Turner, who realized the holiday season was upon him and it was time not to keep up with the Joneses, but with the Brian Jones Massacre's. So, according to Make, he created this astonishing Guitar Hero Christmas lights extravaganza, which he calls Christmas Light Hero.

If you are not utterly entranced by the skill and wonderment of this technological exercise, then your fingers are pork sausages and your emotions are boiled semolina.

December 13, 2009 8:00 PM PST
Man turns Christmas lights into Guitar Hero game
by Chris Matyszczyk

For gamers, Christmas can, indeed, come early.

Because here is every gamer's dream wrapped up in a Christmas paper so beautiful that you might never play Guitar Hero in a living room ever again.

Please hail Ric Turner, who realized the holiday season was upon him and it was time not to keep up with the Joneses, but with the Brian Jones Massacre's. So, according to Make, he created this astonishing Guitar Hero Christmas lights extravaganza, which he calls Christmas Light Hero.

If you are not utterly entranced by the skill and wonderment of this technological exercise, then your fingers are pork sausages and your emotions are boiled semolina.

I know you are going to ask me how he did it. Thankfully, he explained to Make in some detail.

Here is just the first part of his explanation: "Christmas Light Hero is using 7 light controllers from Light-O-Rama built from kits to control 21,268 lights and LEDs. Each controller has 16 outputs and 2-3 TTL level control inputs that are used by the game system to fire different programmed light sequences depending on what happens in the game."

He continued: "It relies on the fact that the game sequence is very consistent. If the game and the lighting sequences start together, they will stay in very good sync through the length of the song."

For the full explanation--it goes on for some paragraphs--please enjoy the Make link.

Turner is so wonderfully talented (Oh, did I mention that he used to be a special effects guy at Disney Imagineering?) that he even thought about not disturbing the neighbors with renditions of Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover".

He said: "When you play, you watch only the Christmas lights, but the audio you hear is from the Wii, so your flubs are broadcast for all to hear (people in cars can tune 99.1 and crank it up as loud as they want.)"

If you happen to be passing Turner's house (a commenter on Daily What says it's somewhere near Disney in Burbank, Calif.), please know that it isn't so easy to get on the high score list.

He said on his YouTube posting: "Optional TV screen is available if you get in trouble, but if you use the screen, you don't get your name in the high score list."

I know some of you will be wondering how many bulbs are being put to such good use here. The Daily What reveals that it is 21,268.

May your neighbors be even one tenth as imaginative this holiday season.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10414561-235.html

blackfoot
12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
That is pretty cool! I bet the neighbours hate it.

GFlanagan3
12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
That is pretty cool! I bet the neighbours hate it.

no doubt....but the kids love it

blackfoot
12-27-2009, 05:25 AM
MORROW, Ga. (Dec. 3) -- A man in an elf suit is jailed after police in Georgia say he told a mall Santa that he was carrying dynamite.
Police say Southlake Mall in suburban Atlanta was evacuated but no explosives were found.
Morrow police arrested 45-year-old William C. Caldwell III, who was being held without bond Thursday in the Clayton County jail. He was not part of the mall's Christmas staff.
Police say Caldwell got in line Wednesday evening to have his picture taken with Santa Claus. Police say when Caldwell reached the front of the line, he told Santa he had dynamite in his bag. Santa called mall security and Caldwell was arrested.
Caldwell faces several charges, including having hoax devices and making terroristic threats.

GFlanagan3
12-27-2009, 10:40 AM
MORROW, Ga. (Dec. 3) -- A man in an elf suit is jailed after police in Georgia say he told a mall Santa that he was carrying dynamite.
Police say Southlake Mall in suburban Atlanta was evacuated but no explosives were found.
Morrow police arrested 45-year-old William C. Caldwell III, who was being held without bond Thursday in the Clayton County jail. He was not part of the mall's Christmas staff.
Police say Caldwell got in line Wednesday evening to have his picture taken with Santa Claus. Police say when Caldwell reached the front of the line, he told Santa he had dynamite in his bag. Santa called mall security and Caldwell was arrested.
Caldwell faces several charges, including having hoax devices and making terroristic threats.

It is times like this where I WISH stupidity was illegal as well...but alas we don't have enough jail cells.

blackfoot
12-27-2009, 10:44 AM
It is times like this where I WISH stupidity was illegal as well...but alas we don't have enough jail cells.

This is why we should start executing them. Humans have severely tampered with the whole "Natural Selection" thing. :lol:

skklog
12-27-2009, 03:18 PM
This is why we should start executing them. Humans have severely tampered with the whole "Natural Selection" thing. :lol:

sad but true.

GFlanagan3
12-28-2009, 07:19 AM
A 55-year-
old British man whose bowel was ruptured in a nearly catastrophic
traffic accident has been fitted with a bionic sphincter that opens
and closes with a remote controller. Ged Galvin had originally
endured 13 surgeries in a 13-week hospital stay and had grown
frustrated with using a colostomy bag until surgeon Norman
Williams of the Royal London Hospital proposed the imaginative
operation. Dr. Williams, who was interviewed along with Galvin
for a November feature in London's Daily Mail, wrapped a muscle
transplanted from Galvin's leg around the sphincter and attached
electrodes to tighten or loosen the muscle's grip.
I KNOW what you are thinking...but don't say it :lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
12-28-2009, 07:23 AM
(1) In November, the Solihull Council in Britain's West Midlands
county ordered a flooring store to remove the festive balloons it
had pinned out front to attract business, calling them hazards. One
councilor explained that drivers may be distracted by the colors,
and another was concerned that if a balloon came loose, it might
possibly float into traffic and lure a child to follow it.

(2) In October, Britain's Association of Chief Police Officers prepared a
guidebook of instructions for bicycle-duty officers on how to ride a
bike. The book was 93 pages long, containing such assistance as a
diagram on how to turn left or right ("deployment into a junction").
(Following widespread ridicule, the Association decided in
November not to release it. ) [Daily Telegraph, 11-24-09] [Agence
France-Presse, 11-12-09]

* Examiners from Britain's Health and Safety Executive,
inspecting bowling alleys for hazards, considered
recommendations (according to a November Daily Mail report)
that included erecting barriers over the lanes to prevent bowlers
from wandering the alleys and perhaps getting caught in pin-setting
machines or, feared one inspector, bowlers injuring themselves
trying to knock over pins by hand. The barriers would leave space
for the ball to roll under. [Daily Mail, 11-30-09]
:001_huh::001_huh::huh:

Swampfox
12-28-2009, 12:21 PM

We want some badly, but after 7 years, the outlook is bleak.

Bad Christmas

My dad told me that the men he worked with decided to chip in a help a family in McBee, SC. The father/husband left the family and gave his wife $25 to spend on their four kids. The men my dad works with got together, bought gifts and food and took the goodies to a very astonished mother last Monday. Tuesday morning, their hose burned to the ground with everything inside.

blackfoot
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Bad Christmas

My dad told me that the men he worked with decided to chip in a help a family in McBee, SC. The father/husband left the family and gave his wife $25 to spend on their four kids. The men my dad works with got together, bought gifts and food and took the goodies to a very astonished mother last Monday. Tuesday morning, their hose burned to the ground with everything inside.

Oh man! I lost a house with most everything in a fire. I know how bad that sucks.

Swampfox
12-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh man! I lost a house with most everything in a fire. I know how bad that sucks.

For that lady and her kids, it was just the worst of bad luck...bum leaves them, things pick up to be burned away.

blackfoot
12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
For that lady and her kids, it was just the worst of bad luck...bum leaves them, things pick up to be burned away.

Who knows. Maybe it will turn out for the best. Sometimes, the only way to fix a virus is wipe the hard drive clean and start new. Either way, it is a long and rocky road. If her heart is in the right place, she and her kids will come out stronger and better off. Not that there is any way to see how right now.

GFlanagan3
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Bad Christmas

if it helps at all it took us 10 years...
wow ..that is awful I hope the community is helping

Swampfox
12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Who knows. Maybe it will turn out for the best. Sometimes, the only way to fix a virus is wipe the hard drive clean and start new. Either way, it is a long and rocky road. If her heart is in the right place, she and her kids will come out stronger and better off. Not that there is any way to see how right now.

True. I am just expressing things from a human standpoint.

if it helps at all it took us 10 years...

Thanks.

I know. My wife and I are also accepting the fact that it maybe our purpose to adopt rather than the natural route. I also know a lot of others have struggled much longer than we have.

wow ..that is awful I hope the community is helping

I think there are several organizations helping them out.

GFlanagan3
12-29-2009, 02:50 PM
A monkey in Japan flosses its teeth with its hair, demonstrating that humans aren't the only animals that clean their teeth and invent tools to help with the task.

The flosser, a free-ranging, middle-aged, female Japanese macaque named Chonpe, may have come up with the tool and the idea, according to a new study that will appear in the January issue of Primates.

Lead author Jean-Baptiste Leca told Discovery News that dental flossing could have been a fortuitous yet "accidental byproduct of grooming."
Leca, a post-doctoral fellow at Kyoto University's Primate Research Institute, explained that "Japanese macaques sometimes bite into hair or pull it through their mouths to remove external parasites."

The hair might have become stuck in Chonpe's teeth, and as she drew the hairs out, "she may have noticed the presence of food remains attached to them."

"The immediate reward of licking the food remains off the hair may have encouraged her to repeat the behavior for the same effect in the future," he added.

Leca and colleagues Noelle Gunst and Michael Huffman noticed Chonpe's flossing while studying a population of Japanese macaques living at the Iwatayama Monkey Park in a mountainous region at the outskirts of Kyoto, Japan. Although the monkeys at the park are free to roam, he said they are provisioned with food several times a day and may therefore have more "free time on their hands."

Chonpe apparently used her time wisely, as she devised three different ways of flossing, Leca said.

For the first, called the "stretching with mouth technique," she utilizes her mouth to gently pull her still intact hair, or that of another monkey, while moving her head backwards and chattering her teeth to permit flossing.

The third "plucking technique" is the closest to human-style dental flossing. To do this, she pulls out strands of her own hair and, with her hands, runs the hair between her teeth to remove food particles.

Leca and his team first noticed this behavior four years ago, and only recently has it begun to spread to other members of Chonpe's troop.

He explained that 14-year-old, childless Chonpe only has two close kin: her mother and one sibling.

"Since the pathways of diffusion of most behavioral innovations by Japanese macaques involve at some point the spread among siblings and the downward vertical transmission from mother to offspring, this paucity in individuals closely related to the innovator may have limited opportunities for diffusion of dental flossing behavior," he said.

Chonpe is also a mid-ranking monkey, so she spends a lot of her day grooming others, which may have inspired her to perfect her methods. The researchers observed her rolling small stones in her hand while attempting to remove a spine stuck in her palm, so it's possible she is a particularly innovative individual.
Prior to this study, the use of twigs as toothpicks was reported in chimpanzees, bonobos and orangutans.

Kunio Watanabe and another Kyoto University team have also observed dental flossing in a troop of long-tailed macaques living around a Buddhist temple in Thailand, but those monkeys often interact with humans and even pull out human hair for use as dental floss.

Researchers hope to study the flossing behavior more in future, as it could help to explain how innovation might spread and become a common practice for primate species, including humans.
© 2009 Discovery Channel

*** well I'll be a monkeys....dentist
but those monkeys often interact with humans and even pull out human hair for use as dental floss.- yet another reason to be clean shaven!

GFlanagan3
01-02-2010, 07:46 AM
A pregnant mother gave birth moments after starting to prepare her Christmas dinner — and was back home in time to serve it up.

Paula Thomas, 29, was preparing a feast for her family in England on Christmas Day when she began to go into labor, The Sun reported.

She continued to baste the turkey in the oven until the contractions were just three minutes apart.

Her husband Damian, 32, took her to hospital and daughter Lexi was born one hour later.

She was back home in St Austell, Cornwall, a little more than an hour after giving birth — eating dinner and toasting the new arrival.

Paula Thomas, who is already the mother of twins Caitlin and Gabby, both 6, and Reece, 3, said: "No one could believe I'd come out so quickly. I really wanted my Christmas dinner — I was starving. I had prepared most of the dinner before I went into labor so everything was in the oven."

"She's one in a million," her husband added.
now THAT is a tough woman!!

GFlanagan3
01-03-2010, 01:16 PM
OLDSMAR, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Florida man who called 911 claiming he'd been beaten and shot at was hoping the tale would get him a ride to a bar.

Instead, 37-year-old Gregory J. Oras is facing charges of misusing the 911 system and battery of a law enforcement officer.

An arrest report says Oras called 911 three times before his arrest early Tuesday in Oldsmar, northwest of Tampa. He told the dispatcher he had a broken nose and bleeding ears, and claimed people were shooting at him.

Authorities say he was actually looking for a ride to another bar.

The report also says Oras kicked a Pinellas County sheriff's deputy in the knees and a Taser was used to subdue him.

Online records show he is being held at the Pinellas County Jail but don't indicate whether he has an attorney.
why couldn't he get a ride?...he looks like a real winner to me

GFlanagan3
01-03-2010, 01:22 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Here's some advice stemming from the unusual case of a man who had spider hairs stuck in his cornea: Be sure to cover your eyes when hanging around with your pet tarantula.

Ophthalmologists at St. James's University Hospital in Leeds, England, used high magnification lenses to find out what made the man's eye red, watery and light-sensitive, according to a study reported in the British medical journal The Lancet on Thursday.

They discovered hair-like projections stuck in the man's cornea.

It was a light bulb moment for the patient, who remembered that three weeks earlier he had been cleaning a stubborn stain on the glass tank of his pet, a Chilean Rose tarantula.

"He sensed movement in the terrarium. He turned his head and found that the tarantula, which was in close proximity, had released 'a mist of hairs' which hit his eyes and face," the doctors wrote.

They said the man's condition was rare.

The authors noted that the Chilean Rose tarantula releases the barbed hair on the back of its body to defend against predators.

"We suggest that tarantula keepers be advised to routinely wear eye protection when handling these animals," the doctors said.
so always be sure and shave you pet tarantula?:confused1:confused1

GFlanagan3
01-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Recently, at the Abergele Hospital in North
Wales, Geraint Woolford, 52, was moved into a room to await a
partial knee replacement and discovered that his roommate was
Geraint Woolford, 77, who was awaiting a hip replacement.
According to a December report in the Daily Mail, they are not
related, but both are retired police officers.

GFlanagan3
01-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Rajeev Kumar of Calcutta, India, is well-known locally for
playing the harmonica, specifically, using only his right nostril.
For added show, Kumar plays two harmonicas simultaneously,
with nostril and mouth. A BBC News reporter watching him (for a
December dispatch) said Kumar's strain was obvious. "[T]he veins
running through his nose and neck bulge, his eyes pop out, and his
face looks red and stretched."
talk about being NOSEY

And at Britain's West Midland
Safari Park, the African elephant "Five" spends portions of almost
every day puffing away at a harmonica she found in her enclosure.
Said a Park spokesperson, "Five was making tunes within a few
weeks." (The talented Five also paints on canvas.)
would YOU take it from her?

skklog
01-04-2010, 08:51 AM
One criminal got caught trying to crap in a grease bucket on camera, according to the Pocono Record.

Why would anyone want to crap in a bucket of garbage grease? I think the bigger question is why wouldn’t they? If you’ve never worked with it, I can’t explain it to you.

It gets worse. While trying to leave his mark on the world, he accidentally spilled the bucket over causing an even bigger mess than the one he was trying to make. The security camera caught the whole thing. Police will distribute it to the public to identify the man in the video once they are done passing it around the office and enjoying it.

Swampfox
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I remember a couple of years ago when some Burger King employees got fired because one of them decided to take a bath in the sink. And put it on YouTube.

GFlanagan3
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- Police say an Ohio woman punched through a McDonald's drive-through window because Chicken McNuggets weren't available. Police were called Friday to the restaurant in Toledo.

Police say 24-year-old Melodi Dushane was treated for injuries, then jailed. She pleaded not guilty to a vandalism charge. She was released on a recognizance bond and ordered not to have contact with the restaurant. The phone number for her home address isn't listed.

A manager at the McDonald's declined Monday to discuss the incident.
At Burger King this wouldn't have been a problem...They long agi promised to let you have it your way

GFlanagan3
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
ROME (Reuters) - A Sicilian man stole sweets and a packet of chewing gum so he could get arrested and spend New Year's Eve in a jail cell rather than be with his wife and relatives, Italian media reported on Friday.

Oddly Enough

The 35-year old Sicilian first showed up at a police station on Thursday asking to be arrested because he preferred spending the night in prison rather than with his family, but was rebuffed because he had not committed a crime, the Agi news agency said.

The man immediately went to a tobacco shop next door, where he threatened the owner with a box cutter as he grabbed a few sweets and a packet of gum. He then waited until police arrived to arrest him for robbery, the news agency said.
now THERE is an idea hmmmm:thumbup1:

gollum83
01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- Police say an Ohio woman punched through a McDonald's drive-through window because Chicken McNuggets weren't available. Police were called Friday to the restaurant in Toledo.

Police say 24-year-old Melodi Dushane was treated for injuries, then jailed. She pleaded not guilty to a vandalism charge. She was released on a recognizance bond and ordered not to have contact with the restaurant. The phone number for her home address isn't listed.

A manager at the McDonald's declined Monday to discuss the incident.
At Burger King this wouldn't have been a problem...They long ago promised to let you have it your way

:lol::lol::lol:

Swampfox
01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Kansas dad somehow lifts car off 6-year-old girl
Friday, December 18, 2009

A Kansas mother is praising a neighbor as "Superman" after her 6-year-old daughter told her he somehow found the strength to lift a car off her. The girl escaped with minor injuries after she and neighbor Nick Harris said she was pinned under the vehicle.

"He really is Superman," Kristen Hough, the child's mother, said Friday of Harris, the man she said saved her daughter, Ashlyn.

Harris, 32, said he doesn't know how he managed to lift the Mercury sedan off the child. The 5-foot-7, 185-pound Harris said he tried later that day to lift other cars and couldn't.

"But somehow, adrenaline, hand of God, whatever you want to call it, I don't know how I did it," he said.

Harris was dropping off his 8-year-old daughter at school last week when he saw a driver backing her car out of a driveway and over the child, Harris said.

"I didn't even think. I ran over there as fast as I could, grabbed the rear end of the car and lifted and pushed as hard as I could to get the tire off the child," he said.

He realized the little girl was Ashlyn, a friend of his daughter's. Harris carried the screaming first-grader to the sidewalk and was going to get his phone to call 911, but Ashlyn said she wanted him to stay with her.

He told people nearby to get the child's mother, who lives a block away.

There were no witnesses to confirm what happened. But Ottawa police Lt. Adam Weingartner said, "I don't have anything to dispute it."

Hough said Ashlyn told her Harris lifted the car off her, Weingartner said.

Weingartner, the first officer at the scene, said Harris "was amped up pretty good. The first words out of his mouth were, 'I lifted the car off the girl.'"

He said it appeared Ashlyn wasn't pinned under the car long enough to be seriously hurt, Weingartner said.

Hough said her daughter was released from the hospital that afternoon with a concussion and some scrapes.

"She is my little walking miracle right now," Hough said. "He truly is a superhero in the family's eyes."

Harris also visited Ashlyn later that day and was greeted with a big hug.

"I don't consider myself a hero at all," Harris said. "To me, it was payment enough when she gave me that huge hug and said, 'Thanks, Superman.'"

GFlanagan3
01-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Kansas dad somehow lifts car off 6-year-old girl
Friday, December 18, 2009

A Kansas mother is praising a neighbor as "Superman" after her 6-year-old daughter told her he somehow found the strength to lift a car off her. The girl escaped with minor injuries after she and neighbor Nick Harris said she was pinned under the vehicle.

"He really is Superman," Kristen Hough, the child's mother, said Friday of Harris, the man she said saved her daughter, Ashlyn.

Harris, 32, said he doesn't know how he managed to lift the Mercury sedan off the child. The 5-foot-7, 185-pound Harris said he tried later that day to lift other cars and couldn't.

"But somehow, adrenaline, hand of God, whatever you want to call it, I don't know how I did it," he said.

Harris was dropping off his 8-year-old daughter at school last week when he saw a driver backing her car out of a driveway and over the child, Harris said.

"I didn't even think. I ran over there as fast as I could, grabbed the rear end of the car and lifted and pushed as hard as I could to get the tire off the child," he said.

He realized the little girl was Ashlyn, a friend of his daughter's. Harris carried the screaming first-grader to the sidewalk and was going to get his phone to call 911, but Ashlyn said she wanted him to stay with her.

He told people nearby to get the child's mother, who lives a block away.

There were no witnesses to confirm what happened. But Ottawa police Lt. Adam Weingartner said, "I don't have anything to dispute it."

Hough said Ashlyn told her Harris lifted the car off her, Weingartner said.

Weingartner, the first officer at the scene, said Harris "was amped up pretty good. The first words out of his mouth were, 'I lifted the car off the girl.'"

He said it appeared Ashlyn wasn't pinned under the car long enough to be seriously hurt, Weingartner said.

Hough said her daughter was released from the hospital that afternoon with a concussion and some scrapes.

"She is my little walking miracle right now," Hough said. "He truly is a superhero in the family's eyes."

Harris also visited Ashlyn later that day and was greeted with a big hug.

"I don't consider myself a hero at all," Harris said. "To me, it was payment enough when she gave me that huge hug and said, 'Thanks, Superman.'"
+1:thumbup::thumbup:

Swampfox
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Relatives say they smelled foul odor coming from mom's personal items
Get weird & wonderful news on Twitter

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Members of a family are suing a funeral home, claiming their mother's brain was sent home in a bag of personal effects given to them after her death.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of four family members in state District Court in Albuquerque says the discovery was made the day after interment, when relatives smelled a foul odor coming from a bag they received from DeVargas Funeral Home and Crematory of the Espanola Valley.

Funeral home owner Johnny DeVargas says the fault does not lie with his business, and that another entity in Utah — where the woman died in a September car crash — was responsible.

Swampfox
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Anonymous seller places infamous 1872 human skull on auction block

NEW YORK - A human skull that apparently was turned into a ballot box for Yale's mysterious Skull and Bones society is going on the auction block.

Christie's estimates the skull will sell for $10,000 to $20,000 when it is auctioned on Jan. 22. Fittingly, the auction house has agreed to keep the seller's name a secret. On Monday, it described the person only as a European art collector.

The skull is fitted with a hinged flap and is believed to have been used during voting at the famous society's meetings. The auction house said it also may have been displayed at the society's tomblike headquarters on Yale's campus in New Haven, Conn., during the late 1800s.

Skull and Bones, an elite society founded in 1832, has closely guarded its members' names and its activities since the early 1970s. Prior to that time, the group published an annual roster.

Publicly known members, known as Bonesmen, include President William Howard Taft, both presidents Bush, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, businessman and diplomat Averell Harriman, publisher Henry Luce and author and commentator William F. Buckley Jr.

"I think it's a macabre artifact," Margot Rosenberg, head of Christie's American decorative arts department, said Tuesday. "It's an intriguing story tied to America, tied to Yale. I think it will generate interest for people who are former Bonesmen, people who collect Americana, people who are interested in history."

The skull is believed to have been owned by Edward T. Owen, who was graduated from Yale in 1872 and went to become professor of French and linguistics at the University of Wisconsin. The word THOR is etched into the skull; it may have been the nickname given to Owen or another society member.

The skull is being sold with a black book, inscribed with Owen's name, the year 1872 and the numeral 322, a reference to the society's year of inception and to the death of the orator Demosthenes in 322 B.C. It contains the names and photographs of about 50 Bonesmen, including Taft, who became the 27th president of the United States; Morrison Remick Waite, who became U.S. chief justice in 1874; and William Maxwell Evarts, who served as U.S. secretary of state and U.S. attorney general.

Skull and Bones invites 15 Yale seniors to join each year. Bonesmen swear an oath of secrecy about the group and its strange rituals, which include initiation rites such as confessing sexual secrets and kissing a skull.

On Tuesday, the society's secrecy remained intact. Efforts to reach a society member or a representative of its business arm, the Russell Trust Association, through a Yale spokesman were unsuccessful. The Ivy League school, which is not affiliated with the society, did not return a reporter's call.

blackfoot
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
so always be sure and shave you pet tarantula?:confused1:confused1

Or, not have a pet tarantula. :eek:

I remember a couple of years ago when some Burger King employees got fired because one of them decided to take a bath in the sink. And put it on YouTube.

I think it was actually a KFC.

GFlanagan3
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Relatives say they smelled foul odor coming from mom's personal items
Get weird & wonderful news on Twitter

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Members of a family are suing a funeral home, claiming their mother's brain was sent home in a bag of personal effects given to them after her death.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of four family members in state District Court in Albuquerque says the discovery was made the day after interment, when relatives smelled a foul odor coming from a bag they received from DeVargas Funeral Home and Crematory of the Espanola Valley.

Funeral home owner Johnny DeVargas says the fault does not lie with his business, and that another entity in Utah — where the woman died in a September car crash — was responsible.

MUST Resist URGE...oh that is awful (I made it!!!)

Swampfox
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I think it was actually a KFC.

Maybe it happened at more than one place! :eek2:

MUST Resist URGE...oh that is awful (I made it!!!)

Having trouble there?

GFlanagan3
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Maybe it happened at more than one place! :eek2:

Having trouble there?
yea...I was..had a smart comment all ready

Swampfox
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Paddington?

TOWNSEND, Tenn. -- A bear cub that developed better people skills than survival practices won't be turned loose in the wilds of the Smoky Mountains.

The female bear has been cared for by Appalachian Bear Rescue Center in Townsend since last winter.

The Daily Times in Maryville reported a news release from Explore the Wild -- a nature museum in Durham -- stated the nearly year-old bear will be moved there on Jan. 15, weather allowing.

Wildlife officials think the mother was moving the cub to a new den, but dropped it by a roadside in Townsend.

Appalachian Bear Rescue curator Lisa Stewart said the center staff introduced the bear to wild cubs, hoping she would acquire survival skills, but she didn't. The bear thrives on human interaction.

GFlanagan3
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Paddington?

TOWNSEND, Tenn. -- A bear cub that developed better people skills than survival practices won't be turned loose in the wilds of the Smoky Mountains.

The female bear has been cared for by Appalachian Bear Rescue Center in Townsend since last winter.

The Daily Times in Maryville reported a news release from Explore the Wild -- a nature museum in Durham -- stated the nearly year-old bear will be moved there on Jan. 15, weather allowing.

Wildlife officials think the mother was moving the cub to a new den, but dropped it by a roadside in Townsend.

Appalachian Bear Rescue curator Lisa Stewart said the center staff introduced the bear to wild cubs, hoping she would acquire survival skills, but she didn't. The bear thrives on human interaction.

wonder if he'll try to be a Cameron Crazy? :lol::lol: of course if Duke ever plays Cal in Durham..all bets are off

Swampfox
01-08-2010, 06:12 AM
wonder if he'll try to be a Cameron Crazy? :lol::lol: of course if Duke ever plays Cal in Durham..all bets are off

I think they are going to give him a football scholarship instead. He's too rough for basketball.

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I think they are going to give him a football scholarship instead. He's too rough for basketball.

well it sure couldn't hurt!:lol::lol:

Swampfox
01-08-2010, 06:52 AM
well it sure couldn't hurt!:lol::lol:

They did pretty good this year, considering. Any year Duke wins more than 1 football game is a good year! BTW, they finally have a coach that seem to understand his plight, yet can get some wins.

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 07:01 AM
They did pretty good this year, considering. Any year Duke wins more than 1 football game is a good year! BTW, they finally have a coach that seem to understand his plight, yet can get some wins.

well all I hear in this house divided (she's Duke I am Wake) is 'wait til basketball season' :lol:

Swampfox
01-08-2010, 07:22 AM
well all I hear in this house divided (she's Duke I am Wake) is 'wait til basketball season' :lol:

:lol:

blackfoot
01-08-2010, 08:34 AM
CORPUS CHRISTI — A Corpus Christi youth whose $600 pig was swiped from his school’s new agricultural barn has received two donated hogs.

Weldon Kemp hopes to have the pigs ready for upcoming stock shows.

Kemp in October had his female red Duroc stolen from the 38,000-square-foot ag barn at Calallen High School.

The 17-year-old senior hoped his pig would earn him prize money for college. Kemp wants to be a minister.

Corpus Christi police believe the hog was slaughtered and cooked. One man has pleaded guilty over the theft and received probation. Two others remain under indictment.

Breeder Clint Curry gave Kemp a registered red Duroc, which could be shown at the San Antonio Stock Show. Another family friend donated a pig for Kemp raise for this month’s Nueces County Junior Livestock Show.

The part that amused me most, this actually made the news.

skklog
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI — A Corpus Christi youth whose $600 pig was swiped from his school’s new agricultural barn has received two donated hogs.

Weldon Kemp hopes to have the pigs ready for upcoming stock shows.

Kemp in October had his female red Duroc stolen from the 38,000-square-foot ag barn at Calallen High School.

The 17-year-old senior hoped his pig would earn him prize money for college. Kemp wants to be a minister.

Corpus Christi police believe the hog was slaughtered and cooked. One man has pleaded guilty over the theft and received probation. Two others remain under indictment.

Breeder Clint Curry gave Kemp a registered red Duroc, which could be shown at the San Antonio Stock Show. Another family friend donated a pig for Kemp raise for this month’s Nueces County Junior Livestock Show.

The part that amused me most, this actually made the news.

O' well he did get some bacon!

Swampfox
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
O' well he did get some bacon!

Wrong thread! :lol:

skklog
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Wrong thread! :lol:

it's never the wrong thread for bacon!

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
it's never the wrong thread for bacon!

+1 :thumbup::thumbup:

skklog
01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
+1 :thumbup::thumbup:

+2 can I agree with myself?

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
+2 can I agree with myself?

sure...why not :thumbup::thumbup:

skklog
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
sure...why not :thumbup::thumbup:

good, then +3

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
LOS ANGELES — A West Hollywood antiques dealer has been charged with selling a phony Picasso for $2 million.

Federal prosecutors said Friday that 69-year-old Tatiana Khan was charged with wire fraud and other crimes. She's free pending arraignment but could face 45 years in prison if convicted.

A call to her lawyer wasn't immediately returned.

Prosecutors contend Khan paid an artist $1,000 in 2006 to duplicate a Pablo Picasso pastel called "The Woman in the Blue Hat" and sold the forgery for $2 million.

The FBI stepped in last year after the buyer had the work examined and learned it was a fake.

On Friday, FBI agents seized a genuine Willem de Kooning painting from Khan. Authorities claim she bought it for $720,000 using proceeds from the Picasso sale.
so if some guy in a trench coat comes up to you and says "psst hey buddy..wanna but famous piece of art" say no! oh and if some guy come up to you tih a trench coat on...run anyway!!!!:blink::blink:

skklog
01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
and if some guy come up to you tih a trench coat on...run anyway!!!!:blink::blink:

I like trench coats

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I like trench coats

that KINDA proves my point :lol::lol:

skklog
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

your thinking of blackfoot

GFlanagan3
01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
your thinking of blackfoot
no...not really

blackfoot
01-09-2010, 05:40 AM

GFlanagan3
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Ever wonder why your Doberman circles five times before sitting down or eating? So did the researchers at Tufts and UMass.

Obsessive compulsive disorder is characterized by time consuming, repetitive behaviors, and it affects about 2 percent of humans. You may not even be aware that your dogs actions could be governed by a similar disorder, the equally distressing canine equivalent "canine compulsive disorder," or CCD.

The corollary: You also may not care about the disease, which target certain dog breeds, especially Dobermans and Bull Terriers. But scientists at the Tufts and the University of Massachusetts were willing to spend a whopping $70,000 of their universities' general funds to learn more about the bothersome plague that's sweeping through our nation's pets -- well, 2 to 5 percent of our pets.

That the results of the study are actually pretty neat is almost beside the point. Through collaboration between Harvard University, the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts, the University of Massachusetts Medical School and others, scientists discovered that the canine chromosome 7 location within the neural cadherin-2 gene, or CDH2, confers a high risk of susceptibility to the disorder.

This highly significant association is the first genetic locus identified for any animal compulsive disorder, raising the intriguing possibility that CDH2 and other proteins are involved in human compulsive behaviors, including those observed in autism.

Dogs suffering under canine compulsive disorders have issues with common behaviors such as grooming, tail chasing, blanket sucking or pacing and circling. Don't all pets have issues in those areas?

Tufts and UMass aren't alone in their dedication to strange science: Governments frequently spend money on research projects of questionable utility to mankind. Last year, scientists released a study on the physics of bumps in rugs. A few years earlier, scientists analyzed the mini tornado within a shower that causes the shower curtain to act all funny.

In 1999, a study in Perception magazine determined that with appropriate training, human observers can identify the gender of cat faces at an above-chance level. Oh, really?

Wacky research topics are nothing new, of course. In 1966, William C. Waggoner and George V. Scott of the Colgate-Palmolive Company published a monograph explaining how they had measured, with a fair degree of precision, the sound of a comb being dragged through a hank of hair.

Scientists looking for additional funding have nothing to fear, of course; just finding the chromosome's location doesn’t mean the issue is solved, does it? Someone still has to cure all those tail-chasing, bowl-circling Dobermans! And to do so, they'll need a study, and additional funding….
This explanation sounds like a dog and pony show to me

Swampfox
01-10-2010, 12:56 PM
This explanation sounds like a dog and pony show to me

skklog
01-10-2010, 02:11 PM

:lol:

GFlanagan3
01-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Natives of the Erromango section of the Pacific island Vanuatu
recently held a formal "conciliation" with the great-great-grandson
of the British missionary whom the islanders' ancestors ate when
he came ashore in 1839. Charles Milner-Williams's forbear, Rev.
John Williams, was regarded as the most famous Christian
missionary of the era. Vanuatan legislator Ralph Regenvanu told
BBC News that cannibalism was traditionally a sacred warrior
practice for "vanquishing a threat [and] absorbing the power of the
enemy." Nonetheless, he said, the island has long felt "guilt," and
even a "complex," from killing and eating Rev. Williams. In
penitence, Vanuatu symbolically gave the Williams family a 7-
year-old girl, who will not be eaten but whose education Milner-
Williams promised to underwrite. [BBC News, 12-7-09]

GFlanagan3
01-11-2010, 07:50 AM
In a December letter, lawyers for the world-famous Lincoln
Center for the Performing Arts in New York City threatened
litigation against Lincoln County, Miss., which recently changed
the name of its Lincoln County Multi-Purpose Facility to "Lincoln
Center." The facility, in the town of Brookhaven (pop. 9,800), is
used mostly for livestock shows and family reunions

GFlanagan3
01-11-2010, 07:52 AM
In May 1991, Maxcy Dean Filer of Compton, Calif., finally
passed the California Bar exam. He had graduated from law
school in 1966 but had failed the exam 47 straight tries. (After
opening a practice in Compton, he was suspended in 2007 for
failing to pass the California Bar's Professional Responsibility
exam. He remains suspended.

blackfoot
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
In a December letter, lawyers for the world-famous Lincoln
Center for the Performing Arts in New York City threatened
litigation against Lincoln County, Miss., which recently changed
the name of its Lincoln County Multi-Purpose Facility to "Lincoln
Center." The facility, in the town of Brookhaven (pop. 9,800), is

http://www.hennessy.id.au/quentingeorge/archives/facepalm4.jpg

skklog
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM

that just makes me laugh

GFlanagan3
01-11-2010, 07:55 PM

that just makes me laugh

It made me wonder if there was much of a difference ?:blushing:

GFlanagan3
01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
PODGORICA, Montenegro — A hippo escaped from a flooded private zoo in Montenegro Tuesday, shocking villagers who found her strolling near their homes.

Nikica escaped as heavy rains sent water flooding through the zoo, raising the water level in her pen and allowing her to swim over the top of the cage surrounding it.

The 11-year-old hippo made her way to the nearby hamlet of Plavnica, where she was still walking around Tuesday afternoon.

"When I got out from my house to feed my cow, I saw a hippo standing in front of the stall," said villager Nikola Radovic. "I thought I was going mad."

Zoo owner Dragan Pejovic said he will have to wait until the water levels drops before he attempts to recapture the hippo.

"Of course, we will not be able to bring her back until the water recedes," he said. Although hippos are known as one of the most dangerous animals in Africa, he said that "there is no reason for panic."

"Our hippo is a peaceful and tame animal," Pejovic said, adding that she had lived in his zoo for nine years without causing any trouble to local villagers.

blackfoot
01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Although hippos are known as one of the most dangerous animals in Africa, he said that "there is no reason for panic."

What?! :scared: :lol::lol:

she had lived in his zoo for nine years without causing any trouble to local villagers.

Yeah, in the zoo! Not in the village. :lol:

skklog
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
yeah, in the zoo! not in the village. :lol:

+1

GFlanagan3
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. – One Broward County couple decided to tie the knot where they first met: Whole Foods Market. Jack Frankel, 75, and 67-year-old Fina Nikolos met in May at the supermarket store in Coral Springs. It had been raining when Frankel noticed a beautiful woman pass him. Nikolos offered to walk him to his car with an umbrella. He later thanked her by taking her out to lunch.

On Saturday the two returned to where their love began for a small wedding ceremony in the store's cafe.

About 40 people attended the ceremony as store employees and customers watched and smiled. The couple held each other close during the ceremony, sharing a few tears.
near the organic prunes no doubt

GFlanagan3
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
OLYMPIA, Wash. – Court papers allege that an Olympia woman, angry that her husband left her, tampered with his power tools so that he received a powerful electric shock. Carolyn Paulsen-Riat was booked Friday into the Thurston County Jail for investigation of third-degree assault, domestic violence, and second-degree malicious mischief. A judge released the 33-year-old woman on her own recognizance.

The Olympian newspaper reported that court documents said that on Jan. 1, the man was using a 220-volt table saw when he received the shock, knocking him to the ground. Thurston County sheriff's deputies said the man did not need to go to a hospital.

In the documents, deputies said the woman told them she had reversed the wires on his power tools because she was angry he was leaving.
she was one cut up he got a charge out of

blackfoot
01-13-2010, 05:56 AM
OLYMPIA, Wash. – Court papers allege that an Olympia woman, angry that her husband left her, tampered with his power tools so that he received a powerful electric shock. Carolyn Paulsen-Riat was booked Friday into the Thurston County Jail for investigation of third-degree assault, domestic violence, and second-degree malicious mischief. A judge released the 33-year-old woman on her own recognizance.

The Olympian newspaper reported that court documents said that on Jan. 1, the man was using a 220-volt table saw when he received the shock, knocking him to the ground. Thurston County sheriff's deputies said the man did not need to go to a hospital.

In the documents, deputies said the woman told them she had reversed the wires on his power tools because she was angry he was leaving.
she was one cut up he got a charge out of

That is a smart gal!

skklog
01-13-2010, 05:55 PM
That is a smart gal!

I was just thinking that!

Does it give her number

gollum83
01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Natives of the Erromango section of the Pacific island Vanuatu
recently held a formal "conciliation" with the great-great-grandson
of the British missionary whom the islanders' ancestors ate when
he came ashore in 1839. Charles Milner-Williams's forbear, Rev.
John Williams, was regarded as the most famous Christian
missionary of the era. Vanuatan legislator Ralph Regenvanu told
BBC News that cannibalism was traditionally a sacred warrior
practice for "vanquishing a threat [and] absorbing the power of the
enemy." Nonetheless, he said, the island has long felt "guilt," and
even a "complex," from killing and eating Rev. Williams. In
penitence, Vanuatu symbolically gave the Williams family a 7-
year-old girl, who will not be eaten but whose education Milner-
Williams promised to underwrite. [BBC News, 12-7-09]

But they're so tender at that age. :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, in the zoo! Not in the village. :lol:

But it's peaceful and tame, just like all the other hippos in the world. :001_rolle

GFlanagan3
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
But they're so tender at that age. :lol::lol::lol:

uhhh how do you know??:blink::blink:

But it's peaceful and tame, just like all the other hippos in the world. :001_rolle they let you come back to the zoo even after that 'accident'??

gollum83
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
uhhh how do you know??:blink::blink:

Would you believe me if I told you skklog told me that? :whistling:

GFlanagan3
01-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Would you believe me if I told you skklog told me that? :whistling:

actually yes....yes I would

gollum83
01-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Then skklog told me. :biggrin:

GFlanagan3
01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Einstein woke up with a blink,
said "Eureka, I've got it!, I think.
If it's more perspiration
and less inspiration
no wonder my limericks stink."

GFlanagan3
01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Have you ever thought of taking laxatives to treat the chickenpox? Or how about drinking Champagne to ward off morning sickness?

Probably not, but back in 1899, those were just some of the bizarre remedies prescribed by the medical community.

Drug company Merck & Co. recently published its latest edition of The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook. The more than 2,000 page handbook is written by more than 300 medical experts and offers information on everything from prescription drugs and the common cold to complex medical conditions such as cerebral palsy and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

The manual was first published in 1899 and the company released to the media a copy of that first manual along with the latest version of the book.

In addition to listing some absolutely crazy medical recommendations, the 1899 manual is pocket-sized and comprised of fewer than 200 pages.

gollum83
01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Have you ever thought of taking laxatives to treat the chickenpox? Or how about drinking Champagne to ward off morning sickness?

Probably not, but back in 1899, those were just some of the bizarre remedies prescribed by the medical community.

Drug company Merck & Co. recently published its latest edition of The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook. The more than 2,000 page handbook is written by more than 300 medical experts and offers information on everything from prescription drugs and the common cold to complex medical conditions such as cerebral palsy and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

The manual was first published in 1899 and the company released to the media a copy of that first manual along with the latest version of the book.

In addition to listing some absolutely crazy medical recommendations, the 1899 manual is pocket-sized and comprised of fewer than 200 pages.

Actually, I ran across an early copy of that in an university library once! Great read! :w00t:

GFlanagan3
01-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Actually, I ran across an early copy of that in an university library once! Great read! :w00t:

and a little scary...I wonder what they will say about what we do now in 100 years?

gollum83
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
and a little scary...I wonder what they will say about what we do now in 100 years?

Probably "They did what for what? That's nuts!" :lol:

GFlanagan3
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Probably "They did what for what? That's nuts!" :lol:

except of course when they realize we did the small resurgence of wet-shaving..they will then admire us :thumbup::thumbup:

blackfoot
01-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Then skklog told me. :biggrin:

If the future is like Star Trek and money is not an issue, they will laugh at our greed.

GFlanagan3
01-14-2010, 10:31 AM

If the future is like Star Trek and money is not an issue, they will laugh at our greed.

10 quatloos for the 1953 SuperSpeed

GFlanagan3
01-16-2010, 04:17 PM
LOS ANGELES — Only miles from the scenic vistas and celebrity mansions that draw sightseers from around the globe — but a world away from the glitz and glamour — a bus tour is rolling through the dark side of the city's gang turf.

Passengers paying $65 a head Saturday signed waivers acknowledging they could be crime victims and put their fate in the hands of tattooed ex-gang members who say they have negotiated a cease-fire among rivals in the most violent gangland in America.

If that sounds daunting, consider the challenge facing organizers of LA Gang Tours: trying to build a thriving venture that provides a glimpse into gang life while also trying to convince people that gang-plagued communities are not as hopeless as movies depict.

"There's a fascination with gangs," said founder Alfred Lomas, a former member of the Florencia 13 gang. "We can either address the issue head-on, create awareness and discuss the positive things that go on in these communities, or we can try to sweep it under the carpet."

Several observers have questioned the premise behind the tours, and some city politicians have been more blunt.

"It's a terrible idea," City Councilman Dennis Zine said. "Is it worth that thrill for 65 bucks? You can go to a (gang) movie for a lot less and not put yourself at risk."
what the??? no I am not a crip and stop pointing that 'gat' at me.:001_huh::001_huh:

blackfoot
01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
A SWEDISH Weight Watchers group got a sign they might want to lay off the meatballs.

When a group of 20 members gathered in Vaxjo, south central Sweden for their regular weigh-in, the floor collapsed, the Smalandsposten newspaper reported.

“We suddenly heard a huge thud; we almost thought it was an earthquake and everything flew up in the air,” a member told the paper, according to a translation on Swedish news website The Local.

"The floor collapsed in one corner of the room and along the walls."

The smell of sewage quickly collected in the collapsed room.

Luckily there was never any danger because the floor was only slightly above ground level, the newspaper said.

No injuries were reported.

GFlanagan3
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
A SWEDISH Weight Watchers group got a sign they might want to lay off the meatballs.

When a group of 20 members gathered in Vaxjo, south central Sweden for their regular weigh-in, the floor collapsed, the Smalandsposten newspaper reported.

“We suddenly heard a huge thud; we almost thought it was an earthquake and everything flew up in the air,” a member told the paper, according to a translation on Swedish news website The Local.

"The floor collapsed in one corner of the room and along the walls."

The smell of sewage quickly collected in the collapsed room.

Luckily there was never any danger because the floor was only slightly above ground level, the newspaper said.

No injuries were reported.
ok the next meeting is at YOUR place Bjorn

GFlanagan3
01-18-2010, 09:03 AM
A man identified in China's Chongqing Evening News in
November as Mr. Zhang, 32, admitted he is competitive with his
wife and "never wants to lose an argument," but inevitably his
contentiousness leaves him with "bruises and scars all over"
because Mrs. Zhang is a kung fu master. After negotiations led by
Mrs. Zhang's parents, she agreed by contract to limit any beatings
to no more than once a week, with a parent-administered penalty
for exceeding that. [Daily Telegraph (London)
:001_huh::001_huh: Dude! let her WIN

GFlanagan3
01-18-2010, 09:04 AM
The Kirklees (West Yorkshire, England) Environmental Health
department cited farmer Ronald Norcliffe, 65, in 2008 for
inadequate lighting in his barn, which inspectors said failed to meet
the "psychological needs" of his one cow and her calf. In his
formal appeal, heard in October 2009, Norcliffe noted
(unsuccessfully) that he has had a clean record as a farmer for 30
years and that in fact, he still lives fine without electricity in his
own house. After his defeat, Norcliffe's lawyer sighed. "I still
have no idea how much lighting is appropriate for a cow." [Daily
Telegraph
:001_huh::001_huh:

gollum83
01-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Telegraph

Boy, cows everywhere must have had it really bad back before we had electricity. :001_rolle

GFlanagan3
01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Boy, cows everywhere must have had it really bad back before we had electricity. :001_rolle

yea..look what happened in Chicago!

blackfoot
01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
A man identified in China's Chongqing Evening News in
November as Mr. Zhang, 32, admitted he is competitive with his
wife and "never wants to lose an argument," but inevitably his
contentiousness leaves him with "bruises and scars all over"
because Mrs. Zhang is a kung fu master. After negotiations led by
Mrs. Zhang's parents, she agreed by contract to limit any beatings
to no more than once a week, with a parent-administered penalty
for exceeding that. [Daily Telegraph (London)
:001_huh::001_huh: Dude! let her WIN

This story is sad on several plains. :lol:

Telegraph

What the heck! My grandpa's barn never had electricity. Still doesn't, but I don't remember if anyone still keeps cows in there.

GFlanagan3
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
This story is sad on several plains. :lol:

What the heck! My grandpa's barn never had electricity. Still doesn't, but I don't remember if anyone still keeps cows in there.

he had deprived cows!!!

blackfoot
01-19-2010, 07:30 AM
he had deprived cows!!!

Apparently. They were so deprived, in fact, they acted like cows. :eek:

skklog
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Apparently. They were so deprived, in fact, they acted like cows. :eek:

Give them lighting, then eat them, who wins!

GFlanagan3
01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Give them lighting, then eat them, who wins!

we do!!! 84625

GFlanagan3
01-19-2010, 08:57 PM
A german man visiting New Zealand was trying to smuggle geckos out of the country to sell them on the black market in Europe. He had 24 live geckos stuffed in his underwear along with 20 skins.

The value of the live geckos was around $50,000 on the black market in Europe. They didn't know how much the skins would go for.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd be putting any live animal in my drawers no matter what I was trying to do. I wonder how long a gecko could stay alive while stuffed into a guy's trousers anyway. My bet is they'd all be dead by the end of the flight. I know one thing...If I were a gecko that was stuffed in there, I'd be trying to bite my way out.
I really ..I mean...words escape me on this one... :001_huh::001_huh:

GFlanagan3
01-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Some guy from India is suing the comany that makes "Axe" products because he's been using their product for 7 years and has yet to land a single girl.

I don't even know what to say about this really. How could someone actually think that wearing a product of any kind will actually attract a woman to you?

skklog
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Some guy from India is suing the comany that makes "Axe" products because he's been using their product for 7 years and has yet to land a single girl.

I don't even know what to say about this really. How could someone actually think that wearing a product of any kind will actually attract a woman to you?

http://www.sex-panther.com/images/index.jpg

http://www.sex-panther.com/images/about.jpg

blackfoot
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
we do!!! 84625

:thumbsup:

I really ..I mean...words escape me on this one... :001_huh::001_huh:

+1

http://www.sex-panther.com/images/index.jpg

http://www.sex-panther.com/images/about.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::thumbup:

GFlanagan3
01-20-2010, 09:36 AM
SkyNews

A Netherlands-based company is ready to milk a herd of 1,000 rabbits using mini-pumping machines attached to their teats -- if a pioneering medical treatment gets the go-ahead.

84685 Rabbits could be milked on a mass scale if a pioneering medical treatment gets the go-ahead.

The animals have been genetically engineered to produce C1 inhibitor, a protein that occurs naturally in the human body, according to National Geographic. People who suffer from the genetic disorder hereditary angioedema (HAE) do not produce enough of the protein and suffer from attacks of painful swelling in their soft tissues.

They can even die from asphyxiation if the swelling affects their throat.

Although the protein can be harvested from donor blood, stocks are limited and can carry the risk of a viral infection, according to biotech company Pharming, which is behind the project. Rhucin, its treatment derived from the rabbit milk, has undergone trials and is now awaiting approval from European drug regulators.

If the drug is approved, the Netherlands-based company is said to be ready to milk a herd of 1,000 rabbits using mini-pumping machines attached to their teats. Researchers would then extract the protein in a lab.

Pharming says one benefit Rhucin offers is that it "does not carry the risk of transmission of human infectious agents, as it is not isolated from human blood sources."

But the RSPCA said it was concerned over "this use of animals to produce human medicines."

Dr Nikki Osbourne, the animal welfare charity's research animals scientific officer, said: "Our major welfare concerns in this particular case are that the creation of genetically altered animals can cause pain, suffering and distress to all animals involved."

"The techniques involved are inherently inefficient, with large numbers of animals used to create just a few animals with the desired genetic alteration." She added that "the RSPCA is concerned at the use of animals as 'bioreactors' as part of the pharmaceutical production process."

"The use of animals in this way increases the perception of animals as 'units of production' for human benefit, rather than sentient individuals."

Pharming could not be reached for comment.
you just can't make this stuff up!!! :blink::blink:

gollum83
01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't it be more efficient to genetically engineer, I don't know, a cow or a goat? Milking rabbits? Who the heck milks rabbits? :blink::lol:

GFlanagan3
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Wouldn't it be more efficient to genetically engineer, I don't know, a cow or a goat? Milking rabbits? Who the heck milks rabbits? :blink::lol:

I bet you could get Adam to :lol::lol:

blackfoot
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
SkyNews

A Netherlands-based company is ready to milk a herd of 1,000 rabbits using mini-pumping machines attached to their teats -- if a pioneering medical treatment gets the go-ahead.

84685 Rabbits could be milked on a mass scale if a pioneering medical treatment gets the go-ahead.

The animals have been genetically engineered to produce C1 inhibitor, a protein that occurs naturally in the human body, according to National Geographic. People who suffer from the genetic disorder hereditary angioedema (HAE) do not produce enough of the protein and suffer from attacks of painful swelling in their soft tissues.

They can even die from asphyxiation if the swelling affects their throat.

Although the protein can be harvested from donor blood, stocks are limited and can carry the risk of a viral infection, according to biotech company Pharming, which is behind the project. Rhucin, its treatment derived from the rabbit milk, has undergone trials and is now awaiting approval from European drug regulators.

If the drug is approved, the Netherlands-based company is said to be ready to milk a herd of 1,000 rabbits using mini-pumping machines attached to their teats. Researchers would then extract the protein in a lab.

Pharming says one benefit Rhucin offers is that it "does not carry the risk of transmission of human infectious agents, as it is not isolated from human blood sources."

But the RSPCA said it was concerned over "this use of animals to produce human medicines."

Dr Nikki Osbourne, the animal welfare charity's research animals scientific officer, said: "Our major welfare concerns in this particular case are that the creation of genetically altered animals can cause pain, suffering and distress to all animals involved."

"The techniques involved are inherently inefficient, with large numbers of animals used to create just a few animals with the desired genetic alteration." She added that "the RSPCA is concerned at the use of animals as 'bioreactors' as part of the pharmaceutical production process."

"The use of animals in this way increases the perception of animals as 'units of production' for human benefit, rather than sentient individuals."

Pharming could not be reached for comment.
you just can't make this stuff up!!! :blink::blink:

Two problems. One, eww! :blink:

Two:

The use of animals in this way increases the perception of animals as 'units of production' for human benefit, rather than sentient individuals.

So. Three words, cows, pigs, chickens. Then again, this person is probably a vegetarian.

I bet you could get Adam to :lol::lol:

Why does Adam get picked on so bad? I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

GFlanagan3
01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Surgeons made cadavers blink with artificial muscles, experiments that could in the future help restore the ability of thousands of patients with facial paralysis to open and close their eyes on their own.

Surgeons made cadavers blink with artificial muscles, experiments that could in the future help restore the ability of thousands of patients with facial paralysis to open and close their eyes on their own.

Some people can't blink their eyes. In most patients with so-called permanent eyelid paralysis, the cranial nerve that controls involuntary eye blinking has been damaged by an accident, stroke, injury or surgery to remove a facial tumor.

Many of these patients have no functioning nerves nearby that can be rerouted to close the eyelid. Others are born with Mobius syndrome, which is characterized by underdeveloped facial nerves. These people are expressionless and can neither blink nor smile.

Without lubrication from the blinking lid, the eye can develop ulcers and the person can eventually go blind. Currently, eyelid paralysis is treated by one of two approaches. One is to transfer a muscle from the leg into face. However, this option requires six to 10 hours of surgery, creates a wound that can impair the body elsewhere, and is not always suitable for elderly or medically fragile patients.

"I would estimate under 100 of those are done in the United States every year," said researcher Craig Senders, an otolaryngologist at the University of California at Davis.

The other treatment involves suturing a small gold weight inside the eyelid, which helps close the eye with the aid of gravity. Although such therapy is successful in more than 90 percent of patients, the resulting blink is slower than normal and cannot be synchronized with the opposite eye, and some patients also have a hard time keeping the weighted lid closed when lying down to sleep. In the United States, roughly 3,000 to 5,000 patients undergo this surgery every year.

To look for an alternative, surgeons at the University of California at Davis experimented with artificial muscles with six donated human cadavers.

"This is the first-wave use of artificial muscle in any biological system," said researcher Travis Tollefson, a facial plastic surgeon at the University of California at Davis.

The artificial muscle they used acts like human muscle by expanding and contracting in response to electrical input. Developed by engineers at SRI International of Palo Alto, Calif., the muscle includes a piece of soft acrylic or silicone sandwiched between carbon particle electrode layers. When a current is applied, the outer layers get pressed together and squash the soft center, expanding the artificial muscle as a whole. When the charge is removed, it contracts.

The surgeons placed the artificial muscle and its battery into a natural hollow at the temples of the cadavers to disguise its presence. It was then attached to cords of either Gore-Tex fabric or soft connective tissue harvested from the corpses' temples that were inserted around the eye. The resulting "sling" of sorts was secured in place with small titanium screws in the small bones of the eye. Whenever the artificial muscle contracted and expanded, it pulled this sling, blinking the eye.

Making cadavers blink "wasn't disconcerting to us in any way," Senders recalled of their work. "I can understand how others might feel that way about it, but from our standpoint it was a tremendous victory toward a goal that can help so many people."

For patients who have one functioning eyelid, a sensor wire threaded over the normal eyelid could detect the impulse triggering this natural blink and fire the artificial muscle at the same time. When it comes to patients lacking control of either eyelid, an electronic pacemaker similar to ones used to regulate heartbeats could blink the eyes at a steady rate. They may also design these systems to respond to magnetic fields, either to get deactivated so that patients can sleep or as a means to recharge their batteries.

Future research with synthetic muscles could also give children born with facial paralysis a smile and help many patients regain control of other parts of the body.

"There are many ideas and concepts where this technology may play a role," said Tollefson.

The researchers estimated their procedure might be available for patients within the next five years, and they are now conducting animal studies with live gerbils. They detailed their research in the January-February issue of the journal Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
Making cadavers blink "wasn't disconcerting to us in any way," :blink::blink:

blackfoot
01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Surgeons made cadavers blink with artificial muscles, experiments ...

I don't know where to begin. This one has so many :blink: moments. :thumbup1:

GFlanagan3
01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't know where to begin. This one has so many :blink: moments. :thumbup1:

I know!

blackfoot
01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
For posterity:

MADEIRA BEACH — A 41-year-old man who witnesses said had been drinking since 9 a.m. was arrested Monday afternoon after authorities say he created a disturbance by pretending to drown and throwing jellyfish on teenagers.

Keith Edward Marriott, of 100 154th Ave. in Madeira Beach, faces charges of disorderly intoxication and carrying a concealed weapon after a pocketknife was found in his shorts, Pinellas County sheriff's deputies said. Marriott repeatedly submerged himself and floated to the surface, "causing concern for his safety," and was "loud and disruptive," according to a sheriff's report.

Then he started throwing sea creatures.

Marriott, who is listed on arrest reports as working for a brokerage company, remained at the Pinellas County Jail medical care division on Thursday although his bail is just $250. Pinellas County Sheriff's spokeswoman Marianne Pasha said Marriott came into the jail "quite intoxicated" and "somewhat uncooperative," and in need of care for a wound unrelated to his arrest. He can leave the facility as soon as he comes up with the clams.

skklog
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
For posterity:

MADEIRA BEACH — A 41-year-old man who witnesses said had been drinking since 9 a.m. was arrested Monday afternoon after authorities say he created a disturbance by pretending to drown and throwing jellyfish on teenagers.

Keith Edward Marriott, of 100 154th Ave. in Madeira Beach, faces charges of disorderly intoxication and carrying a concealed weapon after a pocketknife was found in his shorts, Pinellas County sheriff's deputies said. Marriott repeatedly submerged himself and floated to the surface, "causing concern for his safety," and was "loud and disruptive," according to a sheriff's report.

Then he started throwing sea creatures.

Marriott, who is listed on arrest reports as working for a brokerage company, remained at the Pinellas County Jail medical care division on Thursday although his bail is just $250. Pinellas County Sheriff's spokeswoman Marianne Pasha said Marriott came into the jail "quite intoxicated" and "somewhat uncooperative," and in need of care for a wound unrelated to his arrest. He can leave the facility as soon as he comes up with the clams.

Then he started throwing sea creatures.!!!!! :thumbup:

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 08:38 AM

I have the guys at work saying that now. :lol:

skklog
01-22-2010, 08:39 AM
I have the guys at work saying that now. :lol:

thats one of those things that will never get old ( to us )

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
thats one of those things that will never get old ( to us )

Does this hurt? :lol:

gollum83
01-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Watch out for flying starfish, sea urchins, and jellyfish! :laugh:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. – A 49-year-old woman has been jailed in Pasco County, accused of stealing a car on her first day out of prison. Theresa Jones faces charges of grand theft of a motor vehicle, cocaine possession and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia. She was being held on $7,300 bond.

Jones was released from Lowell Correctional Institution in Ocala on Wednesday at the end of a two-year, eight-month sentence. Authorities said she met a pen pal and they drove to a New Port Richey hotel. Jones took the man's car Wednesday night, saying she was going to buy beer. She was located Thursday morning.

Jones told authorities that she stole the car so she could get drugs.

It's unclear if she already has an attorney.

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
FAIRBANKS, Alaska – An Alaska man who hit a Taco Bell manager in the face with a double-decker taco has been sentenced to one day in jail and one year probation. Warren Strickland of Fairbanks must also pay a $100 fine after pleading guilty Tuesday to disorderly conduct.

The 31-year-old says he threw the taco because it contained spit after he went through the drive-thru twice because the restaurant messed up his order. He claims the manager accused him of lying to get free food.

Strickland is barred from Taco Bell during his year of probation.
over a taco???? :blink::blink:

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. – A 49-year-old woman has been jailed in Pasco County, accused of stealing a car on her first day out of prison. Theresa Jones faces charges of grand theft of a motor vehicle, cocaine possession and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia. She was being held on $7,300 bond.

Jones was released from Lowell Correctional Institution in Ocala on Wednesday at the end of a two-year, eight-month sentence. Authorities said she met a pen pal and they drove to a New Port Richey hotel. Jones took the man's car Wednesday night, saying she was going to buy beer. She was located Thursday morning.

As for the "pen pal", what did he expect?

gollum83
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM

She certainly wasted no time trying to get wasted. :lol:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
She certainly wasted no time trying to get wasted. :lol:

no doubt!

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Holiday Inn, operator of over 4,000 hotels worldwide, will begin to offer a free five-minute "human bed-warming service" at its London Kensington hotel throughout next week.

If requested, a willing member of hotel staff will jump in your bed, dressed head to foot in an all-in-one sleeper suit, until your nightly chamber warms up.

Holiday Inn spokeswoman Jane Bednall described the plan as something like having a "giant hot water bottle in your bed."

Dr Chris Idzikowski, director of the Edinburgh Sleep Centre, said the idea could help people get off to sleep, as cold beds inhibit slumber.

"Holiday Inn's new bed warmers service should help people achieve a good night's sleep especially as it's taking much longer for them to warm up when they come in from the snow."
HONEST honey ..she was just a bed warmer

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Holiday Inn, operator of over 4,000 hotels worldwide, will begin to offer a free five-minute "human bed-warming service" at its London Kensington hotel throughout next week.

If requested, a willing member of hotel staff will jump in your bed, dressed head to foot in an all-in-one sleeper suit, until your nightly chamber warms up.

Holiday Inn spokeswoman Jane Bednall described the plan as something like having a "giant hot water bottle in your bed."

Dr Chris Idzikowski, director of the Edinburgh Sleep Centre, said the idea could help people get off to sleep, as cold beds inhibit slumber.

"Holiday Inn's new bed warmers service should help people achieve a good night's sleep especially as it's taking much longer for them to warm up when they come in from the snow."

That was exactly what I was thinking. :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, I love the feel of a crisp, made bed.

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Updated January 22, 2010
Meteorite Crashes Through Virginia Doctor's Office

By Tariq Malik

A small meteorite fell from the sky and crashed through the roof of a doctor's office in Virginia, but luckily no one was hit, experts say.

The half-pound meteorite struck the Lorton, Va office of Dr. Frank Ciampi, a general practice physician, on Monday evening while he was on the second floor of his two-story building.

"It went through the roof. It through one wall partition and then passed through a particle board ceiling into the floor of an examination room," said Linda Welzenbach, manager of the meteorite collection at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, which confirmed that the object was indeed a meteorite from outer space. "It's not really big. It's about the size of your fist."
It may be small, but the space rock packed a big wallop when it struck the doctor's office at up to 200 mph, Welzenbach told SPACE.com. It broke apart when it hit the concrete floor of the examination room, she added.

Witnesses described the crash as sounding like a bookshelf falling over, she added. Ciampi's practice in Lorton is about 14 miles south of the museum, which is in Washington, D.C.

"Apparently, it was quite loud," Welzenbach said.

No one in the office was hurt when the space rock fell. The meteorite split into several pieces when it hit the ground floor, Welzenbach said. But many people witnessed the brilliant fireball created by the space rock as it streaked through the Earth's atmosphere, she added.

A receptionist working in the office is married to a geologist, who recognized the meteorite for what it was. The meteorite was then carried by courier to the museum for confirmation, courtesy of a local TV news station, Welzenbach said.

Welzenbach said the meteorite is a chondrite, typical of most space rocks that fall to Earth. It is also a beautiful example of a meteorite, she added.

"It's pretty, it's very fresh," added. "It's a shame that it broke on impact."

The meteorite is only the fourth reported to fall in Virginia. The first documented crash in the state was reported in 1878, with the most recent occurring in 1924, Welzenbach said.

The meteorite and its fragments may eventually be donated to the Smithsonian's collection, she added.
"....and THAT is why I had to go to the hotel where she warmed my bed.....honest honey!!!"

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Updated January 22, 2010

By Tariq Malik

A small meteorite fell from the sky and crashed through the roof of a doctor's office in Virginia, but luckily no one was hit, experts say.

The half-pound meteorite struck the Lorton, Va office of Dr. Frank Ciampi, a general practice physician, on Monday evening while he was on the second floor of his two-story building.

"It went through the roof. It through one wall partition and then passed through a particle board ceiling into the floor of an examination room," said Linda Welzenbach, manager of the meteorite collection at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, which confirmed that the object was indeed a meteorite from outer space. "It's not really big. It's about the size of your fist."
It may be small, but the space rock packed a big wallop when it struck the doctor's office at up to 200 mph, Welzenbach told SPACE.com. It broke apart when it hit the concrete floor of the examination room, she added.

Witnesses described the crash as sounding like a bookshelf falling over, she added. Ciampi's practice in Lorton is about 14 miles south of the museum, which is in Washington, D.C.

No one in the office was hurt when the space rock fell. The meteorite split into several pieces when it hit the ground floor, Welzenbach said. But many people witnessed the brilliant fireball created by the space rock as it streaked through the Earth's atmosphere, she added.

A receptionist working in the office is married to a geologist, who recognized the meteorite for what it was. The meteorite was then carried by courier to the museum for confirmation, courtesy of a local TV news station, Welzenbach said.

Welzenbach said the meteorite is a chondrite, typical of most space rocks that fall to Earth. It is also a beautiful example of a meteorite, she added.

The meteorite is only the fourth reported to fall in Virginia. The first documented crash in the state was reported in 1878, with the most recent occurring in 1924, Welzenbach said.

The meteorite and its fragments may eventually be donated to the Smithsonian's collection, she added.
"....and THAT is why I had to go to the hotel where she warmed my bed.....honest honey!!!"

I want a meteorite to fall...on second thought, no I don't.

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Burger King is opening a restaurant in Miami Beach that will serve beer along with burgers and fries, the chain's first U.S. location with alcohol.

At the Whopper Bar South Beach, guests can pair a Whopper sandwich with Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors brews. With fries, the combo will run $7.99.

The restaurant will offer outdoor dining, a walk-up window and delivery service.

It's scheduled to open mid-February. The announcement was made Friday.

Morningstar analyst R.J. Hottovy says adding beer at selected locations around the world is part of Miami-based Burger King's effort to reinvent itself as a fast-food restaurant with a sit-down feel.

Hottovy said making the new image resonate could be a challenge in some locations.
"part of Miami-based Burger King's effort to reinvent itself as a fast-food restaurant with a sit-down feel." and in some cases a "pass out" feel-"hey man where'd get so smashed" "Burger King"

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Burger King is opening a restaurant in Miami Beach that will serve beer along with burgers and fries, the chain's first U.S. location with alcohol.

At the Whopper Bar South Beach, guests can pair a Whopper sandwich with Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors brews. With fries, the combo will run $7.99.

The restaurant will offer outdoor dining, a walk-up window and delivery service.

Morningstar analyst R.J. Hottovy says adding beer at selected locations around the world is part of Miami-based Burger King's effort to reinvent itself as a fast-food restaurant with a sit-down feel.

Hottovy said making the new image resonate could be a challenge in some locations.
"part of Miami-based Burger King's effort to reinvent itself as a fast-food restaurant with a sit-down feel." and in some cases a "pass out" feel-"hey man where'd get so smashed" "Burger King"

I was at a McD's that served alcohol in Paris. I actually took some really cool pictures of Arc de Triomphe right our in front of it. It was on Avenue des Champs-Élysées IIRC.

gollum83
01-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I was at a McD's that served alcohol in Paris. I actually took some really cool pictures of Arc de Triomphe right our in front of it. It was on Avenue des Champs-Élysées IIRC.

You went to at McDonald's in Paris? The epicenter of the food universe? What the heck is wrong with you? :skep:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
You went to at McDonald's in Paris? The epicenter of the food universe? What the heck is wrong with you? :skep:

you are one to talk :lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. — Oakland Athletics prospect Grant Desme is retiring from baseball to enter the priesthood.

Desme was recently selected the 2009 Arizona Fall League MVP and was considered one of the top prospects in Oakland's system.

The 23-year-old outfielder batted .288 with 31 homers, 89 RBIs and 40 stolen bases in 131 games at Class-A Kane County and Stockton last season.

He then hit .315 with a league-leading 11 home runs and 27 RBIs in 27 games in the fall league.

Desme was a second-round pick selection in the 2007 draft after being named Big West Player of the Year at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
Why didn't he just play for the Padres? :blink::blink:

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM

It was like 2330 hours, local time. There wasn't a lot of options. They had the coolest bathroom! You stood on these grates and pee'd on the wall essentially. You couldn't hardly tell, but there was water running down the wall. It was some kind of marble wall.

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Why didn't he just play for the Padres? :blink::blink:

:lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
It was like 2330 hours, local time. There wasn't a lot of options. They had the coolest bathroom! You stood on these grates and pee'd on the wall essentially. You couldn't hardly tell, but there was water running down the wall. It was some kind of marble wall.

where is Adam when we NEED him!!!:lol::lol:

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 01:50 PM
where is Adam when we NEED him!!!:lol::lol:

I also got to pee on the wall of a 12th century castle in Belgium on the same trip. :w00t: :lol:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I also got to pee on the wall of a 12th century castle in Belgium on the same trip. :w00t: :lol:

and you kept track of all that??:001_huh::001_huh:

Prince
01-22-2010, 02:04 PM

hey, everyone has to have their 15 minutes.

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
and you kept track of all that??:001_huh::001_huh:

You don't forget great moments like that. :lol:

hey, everyone has to have their 15 minutes.

:thumbup:

Actually, Mrs. Blackfoot and I got locked in this castle we were touring. The castle was built into this mountain/hill. We had to find another way out, which took a while, and I had to go.

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
You don't forget great moments like that. :lol:

Actually, Mrs. Blackfoot and I got locked in this castle we were touring. The castle was built into this mountain/hill. We had to find another way out, which took a while, and I had to go.

be honest..Mrs. Blackfoot was trying to get away from you and your strange urge to pee on stuff....are you and Adam related? :blink::blink:

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 04:23 PM
be honest..Mrs. Blackfoot was trying to get away from you and your strange urge to pee on stuff....are you and Adam related? :blink::blink:

I don't think so. :lol:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't think so. :lol:

to which part?

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
QUITO, Ecuador - A chance meeting has reunited identical twin sisters who were separated at birth nearly 15 years ago — and touched off a legal dispute over how two doctors adopted one of the girls.

Petita Penaherrera says she did not know she had twins until she and her daughter Andrea came face-to-face with Marielisa Romo four months ago in the southern Ecuadorean town of Milagros — meaning “miracles” in English.

Andrea and Marielisa shared the same dark eyes, the same hair, the same ... everything.
Marielisa was accompanied by Roberto Romo and Isabel Garcia, the doctor couple who had delivered the twin babies — and then raised one.

Investigations began and, in June, Penaherrera and her husband Augusto Freire filed a suit against the doctors saying they never mentioned Andrea’s twin.

“We never found out about the existence of that girl,” Freire said Thursday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “After seeing a girl in the restaurant who was exactly like mine I almost fainted.”

He recalled the ensuing conversation: “We asked ’Who’s her father?’ And the father is Dr. Romo, who was the doctor who performed the Caesarean on my wife.”

Romo and Garcia could not be reached for comment but told Ecuavisa television that the biological mother knew about the twins but only wanted to keep one of them.

“The nurse said out loud, ’Congratulations you have two girls”’ Garcia told Ecuavisa. “The woman, like every adolescent who is not ready for motherhood, just cried and cried.”

“I gave it appropriate time to see if the mother would show up or would feel touched,” Romo said. But the couple said there was no written agreement.

Penaherrera insists that she was never told. “They stole her from me, the doctors stole my daughter,” she said in an interview with Ecuavisa.

Meanwhile, Penaherrera and Freire are trying to unite the twin girls.

“One day I hope to live with my two daughters,” Freire told the AP. “God makes children’s hearts return to their parents.”

'They love me'
But Marielisa has said she does not want to leave the only parents she knows.

“They have raised me well, they have respected me and helped me,” she said in an interview with the Guayaquil newspaper El Universo.

“If they love me so much,” the girl said of her biological parents, “let them stop (the lawsuit) and tell me that they won’t do anything against the doctors.”

blackfoot
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
QUITO, Ecuador - A chance meeting has reunited identical twin sisters who were separated at birth nearly 15 years ago — and touched off a legal dispute over how two doctors adopted one of the girls.

Petita Penaherrera says she did not know she had twins until she and her daughter Andrea came face-to-face with Marielisa Romo four months ago in the southern Ecuadorean town of Milagros — meaning “miracles” in English.

Andrea and Marielisa shared the same dark eyes, the same hair, the same ... everything.
Marielisa was accompanied by Roberto Romo and Isabel Garcia, the doctor couple who had delivered the twin babies — and then raised one.

Investigations began and, in June, Penaherrera and her husband Augusto Freire filed a suit against the doctors saying they never mentioned Andrea’s twin.

“We never found out about the existence of that girl,” Freire said Thursday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “After seeing a girl in the restaurant who was exactly like mine I almost fainted.”

He recalled the ensuing conversation: “We asked ’Who’s her father?’ And the father is Dr. Romo, who was the doctor who performed the Caesarean on my wife.”

Romo and Garcia could not be reached for comment but told Ecuavisa television that the biological mother knew about the twins but only wanted to keep one of them.

“The nurse said out loud, ’Congratulations you have two girls”’ Garcia told Ecuavisa. “The woman, like every adolescent who is not ready for motherhood, just cried and cried.”

“I gave it appropriate time to see if the mother would show up or would feel touched,” Romo said. But the couple said there was no written agreement.

Penaherrera insists that she was never told. “They stole her from me, the doctors stole my daughter,” she said in an interview with Ecuavisa.

Meanwhile, Penaherrera and Freire are trying to unite the twin girls.

“One day I hope to live with my two daughters,” Freire told the AP. “God makes children’s hearts return to their parents.”

'They love me'
But Marielisa has said she does not want to leave the only parents she knows.

“They have raised me well, they have respected me and helped me,” she said in an interview with the Guayaquil newspaper El Universo.

“If they love me so much,” the girl said of her biological parents, “let them stop (the lawsuit) and tell me that they won’t do anything against the doctors.”

Holy cow, how do they come to terms with that?

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 04:45 PM

the same way you and Adam do I guess??? :lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
01-22-2010, 04:48 PM

seriously it is a sad thing....but it sure seems to go on in the world..it does make adoption here tougher though and THAT is also a sad thing when so many good people want to adopt

SRock
01-23-2010, 04:43 AM

This is just disgusting and fiscally irresponsible. An electric blanket and 20 minutes would be more sanitary and cost far, far less in the long run.

Updated January 22, 2010

By Tariq Malik

Lucky no one was hurt.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal in the news. Beer at fast food joints is pretty common in Europe.

blackfoot
01-23-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm not sure why this is such a big deal in the news. Beer at fast food joints is pretty common in Europe.

The states are weird about things like this. It is better to hide some things. In Europe, they throw it right out there and laugh at it. I prefer that approach since things are not such a mystery and don't have the draw of the forbidden fruit.

SRock
01-23-2010, 05:49 AM
The states are weird about things like this. It is better to hide some things. In Europe, they throw it right out there and laugh at it. I prefer that approach since things are not such a mystery and don't have the draw of the forbidden fruit.

This is very true. Many European TV shows contain nudity that would never be shown on public TV in the states and would even be limited to the "premium" channels on cable or satellite.

blackfoot
01-23-2010, 05:52 AM
This is very true. Many European TV shows contain nudity that would never be shown on public TV in the states and would even be limited to the "premium" channels on cable or satellite.

Commercials are crazy! Can you imagine a "Glass Street" in the states? :lol:

SRock
01-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Commercials are crazy! Can you imagine a "Glass Street" in the states? :lol:

:nonod: Not in our lifetimes. I always get a kick out of stopping through Germany with new/young troops. They are completely mesmerized by the content of television/radio and what can be seen on public streets in the red light district.

blackfoot
01-23-2010, 06:07 AM
:nonod: Not in our lifetimes. I always get a kick out of stopping through Germany with new/young troops. They are completely mesmerized by the content of television/radio and what can be seen on public streets in the red light district.

The first time we were in Belgium was Christmas time. This one restaurant had funny sayings on their menus, napkins, etc. They even had a Christmas tree with condoms for ornaments. It was very good food.

http://www.truvo.com/places/fait-divers-gent

GFlanagan3
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
NEW CASTLE, Ind. - A cat helped spare a family from death by carbon monoxide poisoning by jumping on the bed and meowing wildly as fumes filled the home, the owners said.

Eric and Cathy Keesling said their 14-year-old cat, Winnie, played a crucial role in saving their lives March 24 after a gasoline-powered water pump in their basement caused the odorless but deadly gas to build up.

About 1 a.m., the domestic shorthair began nudging Cathy’s ear and meowing loudly.
“It was a crazy meow, almost like she was screaming,” said Cathy, who hesitated to get up until Winnie’s caterwauling and jumping persisted.

When she finally climbed from bed, she realized she was nauseous and dizzy and couldn’t awaken her husband. Because he had undergone minor neck surgery the previous day, she decided to call 911 but was so disoriented she had trouble dialing.

Paramedics found the couple’s 14-year-old son, Michael, unconscious on the floor near his bedroom. The Keeslings were taken from the home in oxygen masks, treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and soon recovered.

Cathy Keesling said Winnie acted similarly last summer when tornadoes tore through the area, 45 miles east of Indianapolis.

“I really believe cats can sense these kind of things,” she said.

GFlanagan3
01-23-2010, 01:43 PM
An Ohio man is in jail after police arrested him on charges of urinating on a meat counter at a Wal-Mart store, Cleveland's Fox8.com reported.

Robert T. Jenkins, 21, of Canton, Ohio, was arrested at 1:30 a.m. local time on Friday morning, Lt. Linda Brown of the Canton Police Department told Fox8.com. Jenkins was charged with felony vandalism and disorderly conduct.

Jenkins was arrested after police responded to a call from an employee at the Wal-Mart store telling authorities that a man walked up to the meat counter and began urinating on the steaks, police told Fox8.com. The disorderly conduct destroyed more than $600 dollars in meat.

Police have not commented on whether alcohol or drugs played a role in Jenkin's actions, the site reported.

Jenkins is currently being held in the Stark County jail in lieu of $25,000 bond, Fox8.com reported.
wow so MUCH I could say....but won't "Police have not commented on whether alcohol or drugs played a role in Jenkin's actions, the site reported."- maybe he's just plain nuts?

blackfoot
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
NEW CASTLE, Ind. - A cat helped spare a family from death by carbon monoxide poisoning by jumping on the bed and meowing wildly as fumes filled the home, the owners said.

Eric and Cathy Keesling said their 14-year-old cat, Winnie, played a crucial role in saving their lives March 24 after a gasoline-powered water pump in their basement caused the odorless but deadly gas to build up.

About 1 a.m., the domestic shorthair began nudging Cathy’s ear and meowing loudly.
“It was a crazy meow, almost like she was screaming,” said Cathy, who hesitated to get up until Winnie’s caterwauling and jumping persisted.

When she finally climbed from bed, she realized she was nauseous and dizzy and couldn’t awaken her husband. Because he had undergone minor neck surgery the previous day, she decided to call 911 but was so disoriented she had trouble dialing.

Paramedics found the couple’s 14-year-old son, Michael, unconscious on the floor near his bedroom. The Keeslings were taken from the home in oxygen masks, treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and soon recovered.

Cathy Keesling said Winnie acted similarly last summer when tornadoes tore through the area, 45 miles east of Indianapolis.

When my house burnt down, my cat is what woke me up. Very weird circumstances. I had been unemployed for some time. My wife had been out of town when I was told I had this job I still have. My wife and I got home late and at different times. So, I got up with her in the morning to show her my badge and then fell back asleep on the couch. Because I hadn't wanted to wake my wife, I took my keys and wallet out and left them on the table instead of upstairs. So, when my buddy woke me up, I got out with my wallet, keys, cat, and a bathrobe. No, no pants. If I had still been upstairs, I wouldn't have gotten out.

wow so MUCH I could say....but won't "Police have not commented on whether alcohol or drugs played a role in Jenkin's actions, the site reported."- maybe he's just plain nuts?

I see such stupid behaviour every day. Sometimes, people just don't use the same "logic" (yes, I use that word loosely) as us.

SRock
01-23-2010, 06:21 PM

That's a very cool story. Further proof that there are a few (rare) cats who's lives should be spared. Have I ever mentioned I hate cats?

GFlanagan3
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
That's a very cool story. Further proof that there are a few (rare) cats who's lives should be spared. Have I ever mentioned I hate cats?

I do too but tell graycie (the kids named her) that 85288 she has yet to get the message :lol::lol:

blackfoot
01-23-2010, 06:34 PM

I'm kind of fond of mine. :blush:

gollum83
01-23-2010, 07:14 PM

May I ask why?

SRock
01-23-2010, 07:40 PM

I'm kind of fond of mine. :blush:

May I ask why?

Its not really fair to say I hate them. There are very few things in this world that I can honestly say I hate. That said, I had a horrible allergy to cats as a kid. I'd have a reaction from just being around a person who owned a cat it was so severe. It was miserable. It took until I was about 12 to get a handle on it. It was so severe when I was a kid that I actually stopped breathing on multiple occasions because my sinuses and esophagus would swell shut. Now the reaction is very minor. I've stayed at friends houses who have cats for a few days at a time (visiting) and the worst of it is sneezing and itchy/watery eyes. For the most part I can deal with it with my daily allergy meds.

blackfoot
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Its not really fair to say I hate them. There are very few things in this world that I can honestly say I hate. That said, I had a horrible allergy to cats as a kid. I'd have a reaction from just being around a person who owned a cat it was so severe. It was miserable. It took until I was about 12 to get a handle on it. It was so severe when I was a kid that I actually stopped breathing on multiple occasions because my sinuses and esophagus would swell shut. Now the reaction is very minor. I've stayed at friends houses who have cats for a few days at a time (visiting) and the worst of it is sneezing and itchy/watery eyes. For the most part I can deal with it with my daily allergy meds.

Does anyone see You Rob looking like this?

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2009/04/01-07/nerd.jpg

GFlanagan3
01-25-2010, 12:05 AM
The actors who portray Best Buy's Geek Squad are handsome and athletic, and you can easily imagine them playing superheros on the big screen.

The real life geeks you will find at your local Best Buy are nerdy to the core, and it's hard to picture them as heroes.

But here's an article about a Best Buy geek who displayed remarkable courage and ingenuity.

"A nerd had his revenge Thursday night when a member of Best Buy's Geek Squad solved a school burglary, recovering stolen computers and becoming a hero for the day, police said.

A Best Buy employee got suspicious when Justin Hill, 26, and Ivan Hill, 19, brought in three computers to the Hamilton Place store and asked him to override passwords on the machines." Read More

The geek recognized the username of "Normal Park" on the computers, coincidentally his sister is a teacher at Normal Park school. Ok, so the geek is courageous, and lucky.

The brave geek confiscated the machines and called the cops. The dastardly crooks were charged with burglary and vandalism.

The crooks are as stupid as the Best Buy geek is brave, if you are going to steal computers, you should at least learn how to do something as basic as overriding a password. I'm not a burglar or a Best Buy geek, but even I not how to do that.

SRock
01-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Does anyone see You Rob looking like this?

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2009/04/01-07/nerd.jpg

Actually I think I stuffed that guy in his locker on more than one occasion! :lol::lol::lol:

blackfoot
01-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Actually I think I stuffed that guy in his locker on more than one occasion! :lol::lol::lol:

I hated people like you. :lol::lol:

GFlanagan3
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Looks like no more Coney Island sideshows for Eak the Geek, whose real name is Eduardo Arrocha. Arrocha is giving up the sideshow life to attend Thomas M Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan.
I was getting bored with Coney Island towards the end," he reveals. "There's only so much I could do with the character of Eak The Geek. My creativity was limited, and I didn't get an opportunity to develop my act."

"I needed something different. Something more interesting. Something where I could use my mental skills a little more. And that's how I ended up going back to college."

It wasn't an easy transition for Arrocha, or for Lansing. 85628

"It was hard at first because I got way too much attention," he says. It was inevitable that people in a blue-collar town would be interested in someone with tattoos of stars and planets covering his face. The local paper made sure everyone noticed Eak by running a front-page story the moment he hit town. Some students already knew Eak from Coney Island, but it still took time for the shock to wear off.

"Going to the mall was strange at first," he says. "The people in Lansing had never seen anybody like me. They freaked out! They weren't nasty - just really shocked."

But despite his busy class schedule, the odd looks from security officers and the adjustment of his classmates and teachers to him, Arrocha has managed to keep up with studies, along with the occasional show on the side. However, Arrocha is driven to succeed in the legal field.

Eak's career is now firmly in the legal field. When he first considered law school, he assumed his tattoos would prevent him from making the leap to academia. However, he later realised his galaxy of ink gave him an opportunity to do something unique.85630

"If you're as tattooed as I am, you're not really a trailblazer in the sideshow," Eak explains. "If you look the way I do, it's no surprise you do that kind of work. That's what people expect. But if you look like me and you're in law school, then that's a real surprise."
moral of thr story:don't mess with the geek

SRock
01-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I hated people like you. :lol::lol:

Actually the truth is, every single altercation I got into in High School was in defense of someone else. Probably how I ended up being a military cop. I always wanted to help others. :thumbup1:

blackfoot
01-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Actually the truth is, every single altercation I got into in High School was in defense of someone else. Probably how I ended up being a military cop. I always wanted to help others. :thumbup1:

All of my altercations were in defence of someone too, me! I got bailed out a few times by guys like you, but the rest, I am proud to say I never lost. My problem was, I lacked confidence. Therefore, I never truly won, either. I did what I had to to get away. I know, now, I could have held my own, but I wouldn't believe it back then. Had I drove a few of those guys into the ground, they would have quit bothering with me. Live and learn. :blush:

GFlanagan3
01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
A Polish beekeeper who suffered a heart attack after being stung was found alive in his coffin, The Times of London reported.

Josef Guzy, 76, collapsed and fell unconscious after the insect attack earlier in the day and had been pronounced dead at the scene by a doctor.

It was only when the funeral director reached into the coffin for the last time, in order to retrieve a necklace requested by Guzy's grieving would-be widow, that he detected a faint pulse.

"Just before closing the coffin, the family asked us to remove a couple of precious things from the body," Darius Wysluchato said. "I happened to touch the artery in the neck and was totally shocked. I checked it again and shouted, 'There is a pulse.' My assistant checked as well. I leaned in close and I could tell that he was still breathing. My God, it was a miracle."

Guzy was rushed into intensive care, and after weeks of recovery he is back home tending to his bees.

"The undertaker saved my life. I am so grateful," Guzy said. "The first thing I did when I got out of hospital was take him a pot of honey."
He STILL has bees? :001_huh::001_huh:

gollum83
01-26-2010, 10:36 AM
He STILL has bees? :001_huh::001_huh:

He wasn't embalmed? :blink:

cim_can
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks like no more Coney Island sideshows for Eak the Geek, whose real name is Eduardo Arrocha. Arrocha is giving up the sideshow life to attend Thomas M Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan.
I was getting bored with Coney Island towards the end," he reveals. "There's only so much I could do with the character of Eak The Geek. My creativity was limited, and I didn't get an opportunity to develop my act."

According to his wikipedia page, he dropped out after two years with a mountain of debt. To be honest, not a huge surprise. The actual lesson learned? Don't go to law school and incur that amount of debt unless you think it'll work out in the end.

GFlanagan3
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
He wasn't embalmed? :blink:

nah he was dipped in honey and rolled in nuts