PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth wearing a watch?

bluefoxicy
11-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a cell phone (pocket watch).

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch." I had a Casio calculator watch that lasted like 12 years on the same battery (!), the band broke before the power ran out.

Over time this has become "battery died." Seriously, I have a cell phone. The battery's rechargeable. It's not like a watch is going to plug in and recharge; the battery dies eventually and you have to go inside.

I actually went through watch withdrawal for like 3 or 4 years... just never bothered to buy another watch, eventually stopped wanting one hanging on my wrist.

cricky101
11-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Mine is treated as an accessory and not as a necessity. I still usually use my phone to check the time, but like the look of a nice watch.

my19
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I can get by without a watch in a casual setting. But the idea of carrying a cell phone in the pocket of a suit at any sort of dressy occasion just seems wrong. Admittedly, my cell is of the hefty Blackberry type, but it really seems to flop around in lightweight wool slacks. No elegance in that.

blantyre
11-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I just happen to like watches so I wear one almost all the time (preferable a luminous one at night). For very accurate time, like phoning a client, I use the phone or computer since some of my watches are off by a few minutes now and then.

s1mp13m4n
11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I am not sure why but I have always liked a watch. I know I can check the time on my cellphone or Linux box but I just like my watch. I always looks at my wrist for the time and feel like something is missing if I am not wearing one. :)

markb
11-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I feel naked without mine!

Emmett
11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I quit wearing one about three years ago. I have a Timex I use to set intervals when I work out, and I've considered getting a diving watch (for actual diving), but I don't miss it in day to day life.

JECIII
11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Anytime I ask someone the time and they doint know they say " I dont have my phone on me"! :biggrin:

NoFair
11-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Me too:cool:

Always wear a watch. A lot easier to glance at the wrist than pull the phone out of my pocket.

Get an automatic and you never need a new battery. The Seikos are good quality and relatively reasonably priced.

Sverre

s1mp13m4n
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I want a Seiko 5.

Rufus
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't have a cell/mobile phone, I'm not important enough, but I do own 6 watches ranging from a humble Seiko diver's watch to an exquisite Patek Philippe Calatrava. Get rid of the cell phone, which is purely a frippery, and invest in a good watch.

Biffo
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM

+1

never without a watch, plus watches say much more about "you" than any changed as soon as a new model comes out mobile

danek
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
1) It is much easier to glance at my wrist to tell the time than it is to dig a phone out of my pocket.
2) I don't mean to be argumenative here, but when I see people checking their phones often I think of 13 year old schoolgirls constantly texting each other.
3) My watch battery lasts several years. When it's time to replace, it probably needs a thorough cleaning and maybe even a new crystal, so to the jewler it goes for a tune-up.
4) I really enjoy my watch and get a lot of compliments on it. It is much more than a time-telling device, it is an accessory to my wardrobe.

Milton
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I wear mine more as an accessory as well. Have you considered an automatic watch or a traditional wind up one?

cricky101
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't have a cell/mobile phone, I'm not important enough, but I do own 6 watches ranging from a humble Seiko diver's watch to an exquisite Patek Philippe Calatrava. Get rid of the cell phone, which is purely a frippery, and invest in a good watch.

I could get by much longer without a watch than I could without my phone.

mretzloff
11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

+1

I went 17 years without wearing a watch and then finally got one. I now cannot stand being without it (or my other one).

To the original poster: you do not have to get a watch with a battery. Automatic watches are a great alternative (and the one that watch connoisseurs turn to).

fidjit
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I hadn't warn a watch for about 4 years.

A couple of damned threads on B&B gave me WAD :001_tongu

Two "new" watches in 2 weeks ( only because all my other watches had dead batteries ) .....

Actually it's quite nice not having to fumble for the mobile out of the pocket everytime you want to see the time :001_smile

English
11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
It's something about having something mechanical that works precisely day in and day out and it never lets you down. Its mechanical majic.

I mean you are correct, the time is on the phone, the computer, the television the town hall, the car, you can ask a police man or the man in the street, But you never really know if its the correct time. The correct time however is always ticking away on my wrist. Very therapeutic, a bit like shaving or watching a fish tank.

:wink:

strat1117
11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
A fine watch is much more than an appliance for the telling of time, especially a mechanical watch. It is a work of art, a personal statement. Sure, it can be an extravagance, but, for many, the pride of ownership of a such a mechanical masterpiece is worth the price of admission.

Check the "Watch Ya Wearin' (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76104)" thread for some ideas of what I am talking about.

enjoy!

Venom8431
11-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Mine is treated as an accessory and not as a necessity. I still usually use my phone to check the time, but like the look of a nice watch.

I do the same thing. My watches are nothing more than a complement to my out fit and rarely do I ever look at it anymore.

I've even caught myself looking for a clock or asking the time when my phone dies only to realize I have a working watch on my arm.:rolleyes:

DS/B MCS
11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
A fine watch is much more than an appliance for the telling of time, especially a mechanical watch. It is a work of art, a personal statement. Sure, it can be an extravagance, but, for many, the pride of ownership of a such a mechanical masterpiece is worth the price of admission.

Check the "Watch Ya Wearin' (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76104)" thread for some ideas of what I am talking about.

enjoy!

Saved me some typing...Thank You :cool:

galopede
11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Doesn't anyone think it odd that most people have gone back to carrying a pocket watch? (Mobile phone!)

I have several watches, none that expensive. My best ones are an early sixties Omega Seamaster left to me by my late father in law, and a nice Hamilton railroad model pocket watch from around 1920 that I carry when playing my squeeze box as a wrist watch gets in the way of the bellows strap. I have several other old pocket watches, Waltham, an old English key wind, a cheap Chinese one with a picture of Chairman Mao, a Sekonda (my beater)

Ok, so I like watches...

Gareth

bluefoxicy
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Get an automatic and you never need a new battery.

huh? How do you run an LCD without draining the battery?

Flux
11-05-2009, 09:53 PM
huh? How do you run an LCD without draining the battery?

Automatics are only analog, so no LCD.

As far as I know, there are no LCD based watches that don't need a battery. The closest you'll get is a Kinetic or Eco-Drive, but I've never seen any that aren't analog.

rickboone1
11-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Replacing the battery every few years isn't that bad. If it is that much of a hassle you could always get an automatic.

To not wear a timepiece is like not wearing pants.

bluefoxicy
11-06-2009, 10:23 AM

As far as I know, there are no LCD based watches that don't need a battery. The closest you'll get is a Kinetic or Eco-Drive, but I've never seen any that aren't analog.

i.e. no functionally useful watches that don't need a battery. I'd still be pulling out my cell phone to find out what time it is. Not that the cell phone is great either (after 2 years, the battery doesn't hold a charge but half as long).

Granted the batteries tend to last more than 5 years, but I'm not sure I know how to actually replace one... or find a watch that'll last 5 years itself, yeesh. Well the calculator watch lasted longer than that (on the original battery no less), eventually the band broke.

Doc4
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I look forward to the day when I won't need to wear a watch (and STILL won't own a cellphone. :001_tongu)

While we are in the workforce, we tend to need to know the time fairly exactly to do our jobs properly. Eventually, I'll get to retire and leave my watch on the dresser to collect dust ... and then when people on the street ask me for the time, I'll stop, glance at the sun, and say something like "oh, it's probably about three, three thirty or so. Maybe four."

professorchaos
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd feel more comfortable walking around in a leopard print thong than go without a watch. Last time mine went in for service, not wearing one drove me nuts!

wimbouman
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I want a Seiko 5.

Very, very wise choice!

gurana
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
My feeling is that it is totally worth it. It doesn't have to be fancy... it's just a convienience thing. Before I got my current watch, I had been without one for several months because I was too lazy to get my old one repaired (the wrist band broke whist I was chopping fire wood.) There wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't kicking myself in the ass for being a lazy schmuck and not getting my watch fixed while I dug into my pocket to check my cell phone for the time.

mretzloff
11-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I'd feel more comfortable walking around in a leopard print thong than go without a watch. Last time mine went in for service, not wearing one drove me nuts!

Here is a Rolex to go with that thong :lol:

http://static.blogo.it/deluxeblog/RolexDaytonaLeopard.jpg

s1mp13m4n
11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Yep

WhosYerBob
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I no longer wear a watch anymore; my cell phone has taken over that duty.

jsrdrnr
11-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Me too. They make kinetic watches now that you can get. They "wind" with your movement. It does require wearing them.

TSWebster
11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I've gone nearly a year without one and still look at my wrist to tell the time and realise its not there. I've ordered a new watch to put a stop to this quirk.

airplanedoc
11-06-2009, 06:10 PM
"battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch."

They do make watches that don't require batterys

professorchaos
11-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Yikes, that thing is hideous! Hans Wilsdorf would be appalled.

bluefoxicy
11-07-2009, 07:11 AM

wtf?

I didn't go to flight school, who put all these dials and gauges on here ?_?

SilentTuba
11-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but...

I've always liked the look of a wristwatch, but find them to be uncomfortable...I have fairly thick wrists, and most watches don't fit. I've had leather band watches, which were always tight on the very last hole, metal clasp watches, which never fit well, and stretchy band watches, which always pinch and cause pain.

I do have a nice Fossil pocket watch, that I've been meaning to send in and get fixed. I haven't done it yet, because wearing a pocket watch is no more convenient that pulling out a cell phone to check the time (though much classier).

Any suggestions on how I can get a hold of an inexpensive wristwatch (I'd be willing to spend around $50, I think), that would actually fit??

MAK
11-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Always have worn a watch...I would be lost without it. My daughter has never worn one and uses her cell phone...whatever works.

Cuttingboard
11-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself!! Go mechanical, watches should not have batteries.

bluefoxicy
11-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself!! Go mechanical, watches should not have batteries.

http://gizmodo.com/378144/first-watch-with-all+mechanical-digital-display-verdict-absolutely-amazing

Mechanical watch with 600 parts

Dennard
11-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I've worn a watch since I was a kid. It's inconvenient not knowing what time it is, and ungainly to have to pull out the cell phone to check it. Plus it's one of the few ways a man can accessorize.

bluefoxicy
11-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Plus it's one of the few ways a man can accessorize.

No kidding. A girl can have a billion types of shirts, tons of cuts, tight or loose.. skirts, 500 pairs of shoes to match with various outfits, hair styles in every which way to give some sort of impression, etc.

Guys can have shorts. Or pants. Or formal wear (jeans actually are formal, they're informal in informal context). Or a kilt. And a button shirt or a pull-over, collar or no, pocket or no. If your shirt's skin tight, you're gay. Maybe you can get away with a kilt but we'll all laugh at you.

Never mind that most of what guys can wear tags you as an old man. Brown golf shoes, high socks, khaki shorts, a golf shirt... yeah, old retired man. Do you drive a buick? Wear something that reflects the virility of your age.

Jewelry... makes you a thug. Gold chains?

It's funny, guys are either in t-shirts and jeans/shorts (teenagers, pot heads); business casual (adults); or business formal (businessmen). Life would probably be more fun as a chick but I think I'll pass.

Thebigspendur
11-07-2009, 01:13 PM
As far as timekeeping goes we live in a transitory period the same as when wrist watches replaced pocketwatches and people thought quartz watches would totally replace mechanicals.

Most youngsters meaning those in High and mid school have no use for watches using their cell phones which to me is a joke since it's is just a 21 century pocketwatch.

The bottom line is if you see no purpose in wearing a watch then you simply have no use for them and spending money for one is a waste. If you think otherwise then you wear a watch and feel naked without one.

Down the road I think watches will be basically jewelry for successful men (in many cases thats how it is now) and the only ones wearing wristwatches to actually tell the time will be guys who in this day and age wear a vintage pocketwatch like me.

galopede
11-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Any suggestions on how I can get a hold of an inexpensive wristwatch (I'd be willing to spend around $50, I think), that would actually fit??

You do like me. Find a watch you like then go along to a jeweller or watchmaker and buy a longer strap!:biggrin:

Simple and it works.

Gareth

brg
11-07-2009, 02:03 PM
i want a seiko 5.

very, very wise choice!

+1

ratcheer
11-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I am too old to replace my watch(es) with a cell phone. I have a cell phone, and it is also a clock, but I would feel almost naked without a watch. I rarely ever use the cell phone to tell what time it is.

Tim

s1mp13m4n
11-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I can not quite put my finger on it but I enjoy wearing a watch. I sleep with mine so I can know the time in the middle of the night. I only take it off to shower pretty much. :) Does the Seiko 5 have illumination like the Timex Indiglow? You know what...nope it would not...it is an automatic watch. Hey I answered my own question. :)

thunderball
11-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I wear a watch most days. And OP, you make it sound as though getting a watch battery changed is some nightmarish ordeal...it isn't. They'll do it at the mall for you for a couple of bucks while you stand there and wait. As others have mentioned, a watch can be both functional and stylish. It seems that most of the men where I work have nice watches too so I'd feel like a bit of a dork not having one and just pulling out my cell phone every time I want to check the time. :tongue: During the summer though I'd say I wear a watch about 60% of the time...I just don't care what time it is when I'm on vacation. :biggrin:

SlyGI
11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I hate my cell phone, but love my watch.

I have an omega seamaster, I don't even know the brand of my cell phone.

A watch is a piece of art, a cell phone a piece of... utility/functionality?

My watch is used to accent what I am wearing as well as tell time.

My watch tells my date (my wife) that I will be on time to the movies or to a show and nice dinner.

My cell phone tells my date that we may be interrupted by someone "more important" than her.

I use my watch to make sure my direct reports are on time. My cell phone is used by my boss to make sure I'm on time.

I have a much more positive relationship with my watch than with my cell phone.

But, it all depends on the lifestyle you lead. Do you use your cellphone so much that you must have it all the time? My watch is smaller and lighter than my cell phone. It's more pleasant to look at, hold, and use. Plus, I hate the fact that people can contact you anywhere with a cell phone. It's just not my bag.

I have lots of technical friends that have simple watches, and a cell phone that has more computing power than the space shuttle. So it depends on what you are into.

bluefoxicy
11-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Interesting perspective. I always considered a watch a utility tool. Mostly because I checked the time every like 5 minutes in middle/high school, and had no other way to find out what time it was; it was driving me crazy when I didn't have one for a while.

I have lots of technical friends that have simple watches, and a cell phone that has more computing power than the space shuttle.

My BRAIN has more computing power than the space shuttle. Next question.

MrMoJoe
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I hate my cell phone, but love my watch.

I have an omega seamaster, I don't even know the brand of my cell phone.

My watch is used to accent what I am wearing as well as tell time.

My watch tells my date (my wife) that I will be on time to the movies or to a show and nice dinner.

My cell phone tells my date that we may be interrupted by someone "more important" than her.

I use my watch to make sure my direct reports are on time. My cell phone is used by my boss to make sure I'm on time.

I have a much more positive relationship with my watch than with my cell phone.

But, it all depends on the lifestyle you lead. Do you use your cellphone so much that you must have it all the time? My watch is smaller and lighter than my cell phone. It's more pleasant to look at, hold, and use. Plus, I hate the fact that people can contact you anywhere with a cell phone. It's just not my bag.

I have lots of technical friends that have simple watches, and a cell phone that has more computing power than the space shuttle. So it depends on what you are into.

So very true! :lol: +1,000,000

Wendy
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Men look like they are missing something when they do not have a watch. it drives me nuts neither of my brothers wear one nor does my husband. I love having a watch on, unfortunately my no battery Seiko kinetic is dying on me.

Texican
11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I find myself in the same boat with everyone else. The only time I really use my watch is when I'm in church and I have to have the time. It much more stealthy to use the wrist watch rather than the cell.

Steelforge
11-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Men look like they are missing something when they do not have a watch. it drives me nuts neither of my brothers wear one nor does my husband. I love having a watch on, unfortunately my no battery Seiko kinetic is dying on me.

You know you can have Seiko Kinetics serviced right? I had mine (bought in NYC in 1999) done last year, they upgraded the storage capacitor to a newer version and now it holds a charge for months and months even if I'm not wearing it. :smile:

I used http://www.kinetic-repairs.co.uk/ but I'd imagine there are places in the USA who can do it too.

airplanedoc
11-11-2009, 07:01 PM
My dad just had a new capicitor put in his Seiko kenetic cost about $75

bluefoxicy
11-16-2009, 06:30 AM
My dad just had a new capicitor put in his Seiko kenetic cost about $75

Wow.

Just looked at their offerings. High tech stuff, pretty interesting on a technical level. More gauges than my car has in some of this stuff though, not to mention they don't carry any I can actually read.

Too bad. Those things look much better than this crap:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41awcUp4P1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Out of place wort on my arm. Then again I guess I'd look like a ricer wearing this:

http://www.seikowatches.com/technology/kinetic/images/img_top_ultimate_kc.jpg

Heh. And then everyone would start asking me what time it was (this happens when you're wearing a watch), and I'd tell them I don't have my cell phone on me.

This is probably why I don't wear a watch anymore.

Protocol
11-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Tag Aquaracer Perpetual. It matches my wedding ring. It was a gift from my wife. I never leave the house without either of them. The ring (which she picked out) is large enough to identify from near earth orbit.

I think the wife was trying to send a message.

thirdeye
11-16-2009, 07:55 AM

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch." I had a Casio calculator watch that lasted like 12 years on the same battery (!), the band broke before the power ran out.

Over time this has become "battery died." Seriously, I have a cell phone. The battery's rechargeable. It's not like a watch is going to plug in and recharge; the battery dies eventually and you have to go inside.

I actually went through watch withdrawal for like 3 or 4 years... just never bothered to buy another watch, eventually stopped wanting one hanging on my wrist.

All I wear are vintage manual/auto-wind watches...No dead batteries for me...

Wendy
11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
You know you can have Seiko Kinetics serviced right? I had mine (bought in NYC in 1999) done last year, they upgraded the storage capacitor to a newer version and now it holds a charge for months and months even if I'm not wearing it. :smile:

I used http://www.kinetic-repairs.co.uk/ but I'd imagine there are places in the USA who can do it too.

I sent my perpetual calendar Seiko off about 2 years ago to a shop in CA because the "ten year" battery life was more like 3 and it is dead now too. I guess I will just send both off for repair. Did they charge you a ton. If I remember correctly it seems like I paid $75 just for them to replace the battery and (service) the watch.

bluefoxicy
11-16-2009, 08:01 AM
The ring (which she picked out) is large enough to identify from near earth orbit.

I think the wife was trying to send a message.

That message is "you accessorize well with rings"?

I'll never wear a ring of any sort.

arcman
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
My everyday wear watch is this Seiko 5 (http://www.watchwinners.com/reviews/seiko-5-snk793k1-automatic-selfwinding-watch/), it owns.
I love automatic wind, no battery worries, might have to give it a little shake on the weekends.
Relatively inexpensive, mine is in silver and blue. Very understated and elegant.

Protocol
11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
That message is "you accessorize well with rings"?

I'll never wear a ring of any sort.

Sort of.

The only time I'm permitted to go without them is when I'm either at the boxing gym or running. Otherwise, it's as if I were leaving the house without pants.:001_tongu

brg
11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
My everyday wear watch is this Seiko 5 (http://www.watchwinners.com/reviews/seiko-5-snk793k1-automatic-selfwinding-watch/), it owns.
I love automatic wind, no battery worries, might have to give it a little shake on the weekends.
Relatively inexpensive, mine is in silver and blue. Very understated and elegant.

I have this one. Since I bought it, it's been the watch I use more often. As I said in a different thread, it is like a DE razor: simple, inexpensive, fully mechanical and pretty cool.

I like that one (SNK793K1) a lot. Maybe I'm getting a bit of WAD? Enablers...

bluefoxicy
11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Sort of.

The only time I'm permitted to go without them is when I'm either at the boxing gym or running. Otherwise, it's as if I were leaving the house without pants.:001_tongu

Interesting.

I've had two rings. One was a $70 sterling silver high school ring my parents insisted I needed to have, and eventually bought for me; I threw it in the trash, should have sold it.

The other was a gold ring with a ruby they got me for my birthday, God knows why. I threw it in the trash, they got it back out and insisted on having it sized, I told them it was a waste of time for a worthless piece of junk metal and a dirty rock. I don't know where it is; I didn't bring it when I moved.

Hmm. Perhaps I will buy my parents nose, tongue, and lip studs (tools of satan in a catholic household) and insist these are important things they must have.

At any rate, I'll never wear a ring, not one day in my life.

BruceK
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I used to wear watches all the time (ha! pun!) but I hardly ever do now. I find it very interesting that with the proliferation of cell phones we have gone back to the day of pocket watches. I still have a few watches and will wear one once in a while, when I get dressed up or just for the hell of it but not too often. I also have a couple of real pocket watches that I use from time to time. One I bought to use when I'm wearing my cowboy outfit as part of my persona for Cowboy Action Shooting.

kelrodjr
11-16-2009, 10:31 PM

i.e. no functionally useful watches that don't need a battery. I'd still be pulling out my cell phone to find out what time it is. Not that the cell phone is great either (after 2 years, the battery doesn't hold a charge but half as long).

Granted the batteries tend to last more than 5 years, but I'm not sure I know how to actually replace one... or find a watch that'll last 5 years itself, yeesh. Well the calculator watch lasted longer than that (on the original battery no less), eventually the band broke.

What do you mean by "functionally useful"? Are you saying that you can't read an analog watch quickly? I'm not trying to be condescending, but I really have yet to see a tasteful, "grown-up" LCD watch. I stopped wearing LCD watches once I graduated from high school. Now, you can wear whatever you want, obviously; but as others have pointed out in this thread, there is no substitute for a nice, elegant or stylish watch (not necessarily expensive, mind you) when dressing up or going out. There is just something wrong about a gentleman in a suit who isn't wearing a watch.

Protocol
11-17-2009, 04:09 AM
What do you mean by "functionally useful"? Are you saying that you can't read an analog watch quickly? I'm not trying to be condescending, but I really have yet to see a tasteful, "grown-up" LCD watch. I stopped wearing LCD watches once I graduated from high school. Now, you can wear whatever you want, obviously; but as others have pointed out in this thread, there is no substitute for a nice, elegant or stylish watch (not necessarily expensive, mind you) when dressing up or going out. There is just something wrong about a gentleman in a suit who isn't wearing a watch.

+1 to this. You can pick up a vintage Timex for about $50 and still look like you belong in a boardroom. You can spend $600 on your latest plastic digital toy and absolutely ruin the look of a tailored suit.

Grown ups wear analog watches.

bluefoxicy
11-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Are you saying that you can't read an analog watch quickly?

In Japanese class they tried to teach us to tell time in Japanese.

In a class of 13, only 3 could figure out what time it was on analog clocks. The teacher asked them to say it in English when they couldn't answer, and there was just this blank stare....

In first and second grade they taught us how to do temporal math. The graphics in the math book were black rectangles with red digital numbers.

At work, there's analog clocks everywhere, at least 6 or 7 in view at any time. They all show different things, I'm not sure any carries the correct time. I'm not sure anyone cares, or really if anyone knows how to set them.

I thought analog clocks were rejected as useful 20 years ago. I'm not sure even 5% of the people I meet can read one at all. Can you read a sundial?

kelrodjr
11-17-2009, 05:04 AM
In Japanese class they tried to teach us to tell time in Japanese.

In a class of 13, only 3 could figure out what time it was on analog clocks. The teacher asked them to say it in English when they couldn't answer, and there was just this blank stare....

In first and second grade they taught us how to do temporal math. The graphics in the math book were black rectangles with red digital numbers.

At work, there's analog clocks everywhere, at least 6 or 7 in view at any time. They all show different things, I'm not sure any carries the correct time. I'm not sure anyone cares, or really if anyone knows how to set them.

I thought analog clocks were rejected as useful 20 years ago. I'm not sure even 5% of the people I meet can read one at all. Can you read a sundial?

Wow. :blink:

All I have to say is that I learned how to read a clock face when I was 4. Our school textbooks had analog clock faces in them. I'm 28 years old, so this was not that long ago. I'm thinking (hoping actually) that your experience is local and limited to younger people around you. Rest assured that analog clocks have not gone out of style. I'm not sure the sundial comparison is fair. Walk into any reputable jeweler and see how many LCD watches they carry.

bluepunk18
11-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Wow. :blink:

All I have to say is that I learned how to read a clock face when I was 4. Our school textbooks had analog clock faces in them. I'm 28 years old, so this was not that long ago. I'm thinking (hoping actually) that your experience is local and limited to younger people around you. Rest assured that analog clocks have not gone out of style. I'm not sure the sundial comparison is fair. Walk into any reputable jeweler and see how many LCD watches they carry.

+1. I'm only two years younger, and I also learned to read an analog clock at an early age. I wish people would stop referring to cell phones as pocket watches. Last I checked, you can't make a phone call on a proper pocket watch, just as you can't wear a cell phone on a chain or watch fob. *well, I suppose you COULD, but you SHOULDN'T*

If you want a tech-crazy watch, get this monster:
http://japanwatch.ciao.jp/auctionP/sna411/sna411.jpg
You can get as simple or complex a watch as you want. Its a matter of finding one you like. It seems to me you aren't really sold on the idea of owning a watch in general...YMMV, of course.

DougK
11-17-2009, 06:50 AM
I like watches and own several, including a nice pocket watch I picked up a few years ago as a birthday present for myself. I can't stand digital watches and only wear analog because they don't just tell you what time it is, but you can also see elapsed time or time remaining at a glance based on a known time. You can also use them to find direction if you're out in the middle of nowhere without a compass, which I've actually had to do a couple of times.

Protocol
11-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Toss me on the bandwagon of folks that are mystified by folks who can't tell time without a digital display. It's not at all that tough.

The way I see it, you can wear a simple analog watch with everything from jeans and tee to the tux you're married in. The ONLY time I'll ever wear a digital is when I'm running a marathon.

bluefoxicy
11-17-2009, 07:12 AM
I'm 28 years old, so this was not that long ago. I'm thinking (hoping actually) that your experience is local and limited to younger people around you. Rest assured that analog clocks have not gone out of style.

http://japanwatch.ciao.jp/auctionP/sna411/sna411.jpg

It looks like flight control slide rules haven't gone out of style, what the friggin' hell?

I'm 24. The people that can read analog watches are the type that generally go to meetings dressed up (my managers show up to meetings with a black t-shirt sporting a skull). Sometimes I wonder if it's like the straight razor, like they just taught themselves to read it so they could wear a fancy looking watch. Sometimes I wonder if they can really read them at all, especially when there's no numbers or anything.

BruceK
11-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Even though I don't wear watches that often, all of mine are analog. I used to have a very functional Casio G-Shock digital that I wore all the time but I was a consultant and worked in the field a lot so I actually used many of the functions. I also stuck with for a long time because it was a very tough watch. I'm left handed and I wear a watch on my left wrist so I had a tendency to break watches (I know I could've worn it on my right but it never felt right). My perspective has changed and I just prefer the look of an analog watch. I do agree with the comment about them looking dressier, or more specifically, a digital not looking dressy.
I realized at some point that my kids couldn't use an analog clock so I insisted on teaching them myself. I am surrounded by analog clocks at work and all of them have the same time which I can gurantee is the absolute correct, official time for the United States. They are all set to the NIST-F1 Cesium Fountain Atomic Clock which does not gain nor lose a second in more than 60 million years. :laugh:

DS/B MCS
11-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I thought analog clocks were rejected as useful 20 years ago. I'm not sure even 5% of the people I meet can read one at all.

I fear for the future if 95% of people you meet can't read analog clocks :scared:
I'm just a little older (40's), but we learned how to read analog clocks about the same time we were taught how to tie our shoes :wink2:

Protocol
11-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I fear for the future if 95% of people you meet can't read analog clocks :scared:
I'm just a little older (40's), but we learned how to read analog clocks about the same time we were taught how to tie our shoes :wink2:

Agreed.

I'd be really concerned about sending my kid to a school in which 95% of students couldn't tell time.

bluefoxicy
11-17-2009, 08:59 AM

Go to Google and type "what time is it"

Fnord5
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I am 29, I wear a watch daily. Both analog, one is a simple dive watch, 1-12, with date, and dive timer(5 min increments) Battery lasts about 5 years, radioactive lume is still going strong after 12 years.
The other, is a titanium chronograph Eco-Drive.

I do agree that Movado watches are more jewelry than watches, as they have no markers.
I do still check my phone for the time, but I check my watch at the same time.
I just like knowing what time it is, and my phone can tell me what the time is anywhere I want to know, without knowing time zones.
My two:
http://www.luminoxuk.com/luminox-watches-store/3102luminox-large.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418wr%2B%2BIEBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Fnord5
11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Go to Google and type "what time is it"

Aww how cute, their little alarmclock icon shows you what time it is.

Funny, it shows that before the digital version.

ChrisS86
11-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I absolutely have to wear a watch. I feel naked without one.
I'm a Seiko fan as well. I bought this watch as a young teenager with my hard-earned cash from my summer job in '99. I still wear it almost exclusively today. I had a jeweler clean up the links on the bracelet a few months ago so it looks almost new.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/SNA339.jpg

bluefoxicy
11-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Aww how cute, their little alarmclock icon shows you what time it is.

Funny, it shows that before the digital version.

o.o

the alarm clock actually shows the correct time?

Protocol
11-17-2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.coolchristmasgifts2009.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Tag-Watch.jpg

This is what I wear. I used to own a drawer full of watches, but found I really only need one.

Fnord5
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
o.o

the alarm clock actually shows the correct time?

Yup. :001_tt2:

Protocol
11-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Wasn't it in Douglas Adams' book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that Earth was described as "so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."?

brg
11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I really like analog watches. There was a time (late 90s?) when digital watches fell out of favor when compared to analogs.

I recently bought a Casio F91W to add to my collection (Watch Den ??), but it was mostly out of nostalgia from having one when I was a teen. I think of it as a kind of vintage item nowadays.

Joker
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
You guys suck :001_tongu I was perfectly happy with my Guess watches. Now I have to have a Orient dive watch. These are the two that bit me not sure what color yet. Christmas is coming.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rr1OOAPXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rFQcFtQTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

instpasr
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
A good watch is a required piece of equipment and a wise man once said never trust a man that wears a digital watch.

kzoo1
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
You guys suck :001_tongu I was perfectly happy with my Guess watches. Now I have to have a Orient dive watch. These are the two that bit me not sure what color yet. Christmas is coming.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rr1OOAPXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rFQcFtQTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I recently bought the blue one. Great watch! Amazingly accurate for a $100 mechanical.

To answer the OP - Yes, it is worth it to wear a watch, preferably with significant water resistance. A must have accessory for every gentleman. A good pocket knife is another.

(guys who pull the cell out of their pocket to see the time look like tools.)

synapticmisfires
11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
A good watch is a required piece of equipment and a wise man once said never trust a man that wears a digital watch.

To answer the OP - Yes, it is worth it to wear a watch, preferably with significant water resistance. A must have accessory for every gentleman. A good pocket knife is another.

I agree. A man wears a watch. For anyone over 13, "wearing a watch" means wearing an analog watch, except I guess digital is acceptable in casual situations if you need some heart rate monitor, barometer, or compass on your watch.

ari95
11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
For me I really enjoy the asthetic design of watches as well as their funtionality. Quartz watches can look good and do their job. They just work and are cheap to buy. Citizen's eco drive system is even more efficient. I view a watch as a tool to do a job, but at the same time can be a small functional piece of art. Mechanical watches are trully an amazement to me. Having a small machine on your wrist that is run by a spring and gears is uttelry awesome.

Joker
11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I recently bought the blue one. Great watch! Amazingly accurate for a $100 mechanical.

I would be lost without a watch and a pocket knife too!

Improbable
11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I've never much liked wearing wristwatches. I've got thin arms and always felt a little silly the way most watches fit me. I do like to carry a pocket watch, though. My absolute favorite is a Hamilton from the 40s that belonged to my grandfather. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1002/1260001846_80c6bd6837_m.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1051/1259996878_65c004771f_m.jpg

rm71
11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
1) It is much easier to glance at my wrist to tell the time than it is to dig a phone out of my pocket.
2) I don't mean to be argumenative here, but when I see people checking their phones often I think of 13 year old schoolgirls constantly texting each other.
3) My watch battery lasts several years. When it's time to replace, it probably needs a thorough cleaning and maybe even a new crystal, so to the jewler it goes for a tune-up.
4) I really enjoy my watch and get a lot of compliments on it. It is much more than a time-telling device, it is an accessory to my wardrobe.

Yep on all the above

TSWebster
11-20-2009, 09:27 PM
All these comments about people not being able to read analogue time are surprising, I'm only 23 and we did analogue time in primary school. Aside from that my parents bought me an analogue watch when I was very young and told me I wasn't allowed to own a digital clock until I could read it, it didn't take all that long to pick up the habit either.

Plus if I ever need to find north my analogue watch will be a help.

StylinLA
11-21-2009, 06:25 PM
With clocks everywhere, and cell phones omnipresent, watches are indeed nearly redundant.

But they still show your style, and it is one of the first things a woman will notice on you along with your shoes.

And even if it's an inexpensive watch it can be stylish and it should be analog.

JPM
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
mine is treated as an accessory and not as a necessity. I still usually use my phone to check the time, but like the look of a nice watch.

+1.

Austin
11-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Have you ever tried an automatic watch? No batteries needed.

pauls51
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I remember as a kid always wearing a watch, then during my teens i did away with the watch and replaced it with the phone.. Now im back to a watch.. Much more convenient then pulling out your phone to check the time!

MMCCX
11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
watches are indeed, essentially, now just "man jewelry".

i don't carry a cellphone, but i could just as easily tell time (to within a half hour or so) by listening to church bells and factory whistles in my town.

that said, i love watches. digital, quartz analog, automatic or handwind; i have and use them all depending on activity and dress.

Aaron W.
11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I have to say that mechanical is the way to go. Keep it wound and it shouldn't let you down. I wear a elgin sportsman 60's model 17 jewel and it keeps time as good as my phone. If you want better accuracy find a true,railroad grade pocket watch. Amazing time pieces but go for the watch they are classy.

joel.favre
11-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Watches are absolutely essential for me. I dont think I have left the house in the last five years without one. Of course, being an aviator, it is required gear:001_rolle

Ru4scuba?
11-25-2009, 05:25 PM
As the resident "watch guy" in my unit, my initial gut answer to this question was a resounding yes. I wear mine not just to tell the time, but because it is a Swiss work of art, a fashion statement and a clear signal that I'm a guy who's serious about watches...

But then, I took pause. The information age we live in has negated the overal "purpose" of a watch to be sure. Time can be found via a multitude of readily available venues....thus making watches somewhat irrelevant. Its arguable the cell phone has become as ubiquitous as the watch once was...few cell phones do not display the time as well as their other functions. This begs the most important question..."if so, whats the point of wearing a wristwatch?"

If pure functionality is your objective and you are a cell phone carrier...then none; unless you wish to possess a good backup method of time should your battery die, tower collapse or satellite fall out of the sky. If however, you view watches as another form of artistic expression...then you'll find you can't live without one; whether your passion is the latest Ironman or Vacheron Constantin.

Amir
06-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Women can accessorize til the cows come home.

Men have only so many options.

There's a whole generation or two of men who don't wear watches, and just look at their smart phones.

They're missing out on one of the great pleasures of wearing a mechanical watch, like a Patek Philippe, Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, and IWC. Even Seiko, which makes a $29 watch, has a Grand Seiko line that rivals any of the Swiss legends.

little Big feather
06-10-2012, 07:59 AM
You can't carry a Cell Phone in combat can you? Do some phones have a "Depth Rating"?

scottish steve
06-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Granted the batteries tend to last more than 5 years, but I'm not sure I know how to actually replace one... or find a watch that'll last 5 years itself, yeesh...

Have you learned nothing during your time here?
This post is the horological equivalent of saying "My Mach 3 blades get blunt after 4 shaves, so all you guys using a straight are kidding yourselves."

I think it would be more constructive to do some research and, you know, maybe buy a decent watch for a change?

AverageJoe
06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
If you value being on time to anything and always knowing the date, a watch is essential. The (relatively) cheap Casios of one sort or another have always been on my wrist-----not only are they cheap, but they are accurate, waterproof, rugged, and even the most basic version will at least give you the date and time and have an alarm and light up for use in the dark. I have a G-shock and one of their slim, basic ones as well. The batteries seem to last forever. I happen to like the techy matte black look as well. In pitch blackness, I can still easily read it with a push of a button.

The value/dollar ratio is very high for these, IMHO.

COHunter
06-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I've worn a watch for so long I think the pigment in my wrist where the watch resides has fled the scene! I've got to have a watch on, and I usually just wear fairly inexpensive watches. I have one for work that's a bit nicer, (still under $100) and then a $25 digital job that I wear when doing everything else.

turtle
06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't believe in cell phones (the easter bunny or santa claus)...

My cell phone stays powered down in a drawer unless I want to make a call.

My wrist watch is what I use to tell time with

StropShoppe
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Women can accessorize til the cows come home.

Men have only so many options.

This is the truth! We aren't quite back in the day and age when men could sport ear rings and make up and be taken seriously in a professional setting, like the 18th Century. Men's fashion is about minimalism, and functionality...unless you are 18 of course and then you can wear all sorts of crazy stuff and get away with it because you are young.

Think of fashion as our peacock feathers. Our clothes say a lot about us. Greasy and dirty? Obviously a manual laborer. Sharp suit and Italian loafers? Banker or lawyer. However, these still tend to make people look the same, and that's what accessories are. Your rings, watches, necklaces, and bracelets help you stand out and say a little something about you.

A pocket watch on a chain? Old fashioned tastes and style. Calculator watch? Engineer and nerdy-like. Aviator or diving watch? You like adventure and excitement.

Use watches, rings, necklaces and bracelets to kind of make a mini statement about yourself.

cfender
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I received an inexpensive pocket watch as a gift when I was a youth. I thought it would be an elegant accessory but it's actually often inconvenient to yank out of your pocket to check the time. Especially if both hands are occupied. Owning one demonstrated the advance in functionality that wrist watches brought to civilization. I would therefore be very unsatisfied having to fish out my smart phone whenever I needed to check the time.

Eyeballing an esthetically pleasing timepiece on my wrist hundreds of times a day is one of the few simple pleasures in life a man can have.

Kentos
06-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Thread necromancy rulz!

shaveitoff
06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
There are probably lots of people who don't need to wear a watch. I could get by without one and just use the cell phone, wall clocks, computer screen, etc. However, I have worn a watch since I was in the fourth grade. My left wrist is actually a bit thinner than my right wrist, and I can only assume it has something to do wearing a watch for so long.

I've only ever gone out of the house in the morning a couple of times without a watch. Sometimes I am so rushed in the morning that I forget something, and very rarely that is putting on my watch. When that happened I just felt completely "off" all day.

cb91710
06-11-2012, 06:40 PM
You can't carry a Cell Phone in combat can you? Do some phones have a "Depth Rating"?

My G-Zone Ravine is good to 3ft :biggrin:

Have you learned nothing during your time here?
This post is the horological equivalent of saying "My Mach 3 blades get blunt after 4 shaves, so all you guys using a straight are kidding yourselves."

I think it would be more constructive to do some research and, you know, maybe buy a decent watch for a change?

Check the date on the post you replied to... he'd only been here a year and the post was from 2009 :wink:

I received an inexpensive pocket watch as a gift when I was a youth. I thought it would be an elegant accessory but it's actually often inconvenient to yank out of your pocket to check the time.

Agreed. I LOVE a nice pocket watch, but it is no more convenient than a cell phone, and for the most part, it is an accessory that doesn't quite "fit" with typical 21st century dress.
Yes, jeans have a watch pocket... a holdover from days when a pocket watch was common, but IMHO, the elegance of a pocket watch is lost with Levis and a Van Halen t-shirt.
It works with a vested suit... which is totally uncommon in Los Angeles.

Thread necromancy rulz!

LOL!

Seriously though... My normal everyday wear watch is a Casio G-Shock atomic solar.
As a traffic signal tech, I absolutely must have dead-accurate time at all times, since synchronization of traffic signals depends on the timing of multiple intersections matching the distance and speed of traffic from one to another... seconds actually do count.
I've yet to see a cell phone with a seconds display (granted, I've never used a "smartphone"). Before I got the G-Shock, my only option was to set the controller time 1 minute ahead and wait for when the minute on the cell phone would tick over to the next minute and hit "enter".
Likewise, I often need both hands available, so fumbling a phone doesn't work.

But my "dress" watch is still my much-maligned Invicta blue face dive watch. I've had it since 2003 or so and it's never missed a beat. My only complaint is it does not have a very robust spring.. if I take it off and set it down, it's done in 18-24 hours, but for daily active wear, it's never been an issue. I've had it down to 140ft in the Bahamas, so rain is not a problem.

Catalin
06-11-2012, 07:21 PM
A mechanical watch (automatic or wind-up) is a piece of art that requires no batteries. It tells time and it looks good on your wrist. It also tells the world you are a discerning guy. It is also an indulgence, like straight razors.

I like both....

Kazeryu
06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
... A lot easier to glance at the wrist than pull the phone out of my pocket.

Get an automatic and you never need a new battery. ...

+1 on both counts.

There is also the Citizen Eco Drive - it recharges using ambient light.

Go West Young Man
06-12-2012, 10:02 PM

You and I appear to live very, very different lives! :lol:

Leon
06-13-2012, 02:02 AM

Me three! :laugh:

Just feels weird without one.

packersfan117
06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I always wear a Luminox, except at work (I work at a garage, so the watch would snag on the car parts I work with). I feel incomplete without my watch.

nosenada
06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
I have worn a watch since the 60s, currently a left handed B and M automatic divers watch, easy to read without glasses,unlike the figures on a mobile. I generally only remove the watch to wash my wrist (SS bracelets seem to accumulate crud)

scottish steve
06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
A mechanical watch (automatic or wind-up) is a piece of art...

Good Grief!
90% of mechanical watches are stamped out on machines and assembled on machines just like everything else.
Art? Well there are a few companies who make this sort of 'art'. Minimum buy-in of $10,000, give or take.

ddillas
06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Good Grief!
90% of mechanical watches are stamped out on machines and assembled on machines just like everything else.
Art? Well there are a few companies who make this sort of 'art'. Minimum buy-in of $10,000, give or take.

Hmm... you could get two new Rolexes like a stainless steel GMT Master and a stainless steel Datejust for probably less than $10k. I know for a fact that all Rolex movements are made in house, though some of that parts are machine made, most people would consider them wearable art.

As to an afordable option... an Orient automatic is a fine choice. My 18YO son wears an Orient Mako II, huge hunk of stainless steel that doesn't need winding or a battery and will probably last him many, many years.

My 1985 Rolex Datejust has been seviced a couple of times over the years and keeps on trucking, though I only wear it for special occasions.
My 1995 Omega Seamaster GMT has an ETA automatic movement and also keeps on going with no problems.
My newer Sieko SKX173 dive watch with rubber stap is extra tough and cool and keeps good time as well.
Oh and I still have the Sieko my dad gave me for graduation in 1981 and it is just fine, and all I have ever done is replace the battery.
Today on my wrist is my usual Victorinox military style quartz watch that is nicely rugged and very accurate.

I think I would feel not completely put together with out a watch on... I know that my phone keeps accurate time and is very handy indeed, but having to pull it out of a pocket to check the time is such a boor....

There are a lot of throw away watches out there but there are plenty of good, long lasting watches in a variety of price points, so why not have one?

Toddy
06-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Since I first got a cellphone I never bothered with a watch - I've never worn a watch since about 1996.

The young generation here have grown up with ipods and smartphones and consider a wrist watch in the same way as we consider a mechanical typewriter.

The only watch I have of any worth is my great grandad's large silver pocket watch. Still use it for special occasions, but its just a piece of jewellery.

Rustonrazor
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
employer doesn't want cell phones ringing at work, so phone is required to stay in the car
perpetual or kenetic watches are the bomb. no battery
I agree that settings where a suit is required may not be a good place to carry your phone. I am there often
why waste time digging my phone from my pocket, unlocking the key pad and checking the time when I can just check the time?

Schick_Fan
06-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Being a pilot has uses for an actual watch. Though, it can be cumbersome constantly changing the time when switching time zones.

Schick_Fan
06-15-2012, 10:22 PM
A mechanical watch (automatic or wind-up) is a piece of art that requires no batteries.

You must read Haute Living

scottish steve
06-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Ddillas, Rolex make hundreds of thousands of watches a year. This does not even approach 'art'.

cb91710
06-16-2012, 04:33 AM
Ddillas, Rolex make hundreds of thousands of watches a year. This does not even approach 'art'.

It all depends on your perspective.

Same as with wall-hanging art.
Some is mass-produced by the thousands, but it does not detract from the creativity, talent, and value of the original.

One man's treasure is another man's trash.... or as with nearly all things, YMMV.
Like recommendations in the haberdashery that would have the newbie thinking that he can not be socially presentable without wearing $2000 worth of clothing and accessories, when that is not true at all, there are some less expensive watches that, while mass-produced, are highly revered by 90% of society.
The 10% that doesn't? I seriously would not want to associate with them anyways.

trot1984
06-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Gradually ceased wearing a watch over the past year and use the cell phone. Mainly a comfort thing for me. I don't wear/like any adornments other than a wedding ring.

Slash McCoy
06-16-2012, 05:45 AM
When I use my celphone a lot, especially if I am making heavy use of the GPS or the display or using lots of data, sometimes the battery doesn't last all day. When it dies, I like knowing I have a cheap but not too garish digital watch on my wrist. If my phone runs out of juice, I can't check my ebay or this site or use TomTom to navigate with or watch a movie, but at least I know what time it is.

I prefer a battery watch. I like having a light. I like having a timer and an alarm. I don't care if it looks expensive or not. So I am sort of a casio/timex digital guy. It's about practicality.

turtle
06-16-2012, 06:20 AM
I prefer a battery watch. I like having a light. I like having a timer and an alarm. I don't care if it looks expensive or not. So I am sort of a casio/timex digital guy. It's about practicality.

+1

My daily watch is a Casio with timer, alarm, tide and moon display... Oh and it has a light too for those times you are standing out in the woods and wondering how much longer before the sun comes up.

Toddy
06-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I rely on a cellphone to keep in touch with customers so it's always on (despite the fact I can only get a signal in 50% of my area). When I was working for someone else, everyone used cellphones as a main means of communication anyway.

Even if your employer doesn't want cellphones ringing, you can always divert to voicemail or use vibrate. I guess if you work somewhere dealing with the general public such as a shop or restaurant or a driving job etc you can't have your phone going off all the time!

Bad Robot
06-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Worn a watch since the time before cellphones were common. Still do. Even though I have used a cellphone for many, many years I almost always go to my watch for the time.

cb91710
06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Worn a watch since the time before cellphones were common. Still do. Even though I have used a cellphone for many, many years I almost always go to my watch for the time.

Ditto.

People have bad dreams about getting to work and not wearing pants.
I have bad dreams about getting to work and not wearing my watch!

Shaving_CHENG
06-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Men wear watches, boys check their cell phones.

Rarely do I speak in absolutes, but this one I feel passionately about. In maybe as few as one generation the paradigm may change, but that's not today.

Go West Young Man
06-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Men wear watches, boys check their cell phones.

Rarely do I speak in absolutes, but this one I feel passionately about. In maybe as few as one generation the paradigm may change, but that's not today.

Men accept differences of opinion, boys make obnoxious generalizations.

Arcadies
06-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I never used to go anywhere without my watch, the only watch I really wore was my Dad's old stainless steel Seiko G757, around 1990 he decided to get away from digital and passed it to me. I wore it religiously up until 5 years ago. I was in the back of a sub-zero trailer taking inventory for about 10 minutes and stepped back outside on a 95 degree 100% humidity day and it instantly fogged up on the inside, it took almost a week for the condensation to dry up and it never worked again. These days I just use my cell to check the time.

Shaving_CHENG
06-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Men accept differences of opinion, boys make obnoxious generalizations.

Failure to see hypocrisy in your own comment and to read the comment entirely: "I rarely speak in absolute, but this one I feel passionately about." I do judge those who show up to work for me on whether they have a watch or not; it gives me a quick insight as to their potential value of my time and their promptness.

Maybe the comment was painting with a broad brush, but it was not without basis.

doug1066
06-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I wear a watch every day. Most of my watches are automatics but I have a few quartz and hand-winders too. I feel naked if I forget to put a watch on in the morning.

Pebcak
06-18-2012, 04:55 AM

Sure it does, just because they make thousands a year doesn't make it any less art. Art and beauty doesn't mean one of a kind.

mistercitizen
06-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Wristwatches are cool. I've had wristwatch aqcuisition disorders in the past. I feel a bit lost when I'm not wearing one. To me, they are a fashion statement as well as practical.... although I'm one of the very few out there who still do not have a cell phone, so a wristwatch is all I have to go by at times. I'm drawn to analog watches with at least a date display and sometimes a display for the day of the week depending on how it looks. I don't like digital wristwatches for some reason. Another thing I'm a bit particular about with wristwatches is that I match them to my belt and shoes pretty religiously. Gold case, brown leather strap = gold belt buckle, brown leather belt = brown leather shoes. A casual looking wristwatch goes with casual shoes and a dressy looking wristwatch goes with dress shoes, etc. Most of my watches are quartz movements that run on a battery, but I have a Hamilton that has a self winding automatic movement and I have a Citizen Eco Drive which runs on light. I can't ever imagine not wearing a wristwatch..... even after I get a cell phone someday. I'm still amazed I've managed to go this long without a cell phone.... I just keep thinking about all the money I'm saving by not having a monthly cell phone bill and I continue to place my monthly orders at WCS for just over $80 instead :001_tongu.

Ben

scottish steve
06-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Sure it does, just because they make thousands a year doesn't make it any less art. Art and beauty doesn't mean one of a kind.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It's just engineering to me. Mechanical watches don't have a soul, they don't have a heartbeat, they don't need us. They're just quite cool, as long as your lifestyle can cope with the inaccuracy and wallet can deal with the service costs.
Nothing magical, Just an engineering solution from way back that many people still like.

Just my 2 jao.

Anthroman78
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Even though I often use a cell phone to tell the time, I make regular use of my watch when either teaching or doing laboratory work (both circumstances where using a cell phone would be inappropriate).

Pilotgod
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I started wearing a watch in junior high and now it feels wrong to not have a watch on my wrist. I carry a smartphone, but honestly, even when holding it in my hand will check my watch for the time. I prefer an analog dial, although I have a Citizen which is both digital and analog. When flying, we use a clock for quite a bit of navigation and while there is one on the panel (it is usually pretty crappy), I trust a good chronometer on my wrist. I prefer my Invicta when flying since I can shift my watch to below my wrist and it becomes part of my scan since my left hand is on the yoke and the watch is right there. I think I will likely wear a watch until I die, even when holographic emitters with quantum time-drive are the rage, I'll be rocking out with a quartz movement or self winding mechanism. Of course, I'll be rocking internal combustion engines as long as there is something to burn, so...

jd_1138
06-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Does anyone know of a quality manufacturer of mechanical pocket watches? I'd like to get a nice and simple one under $100 that isn't made in a Chinese sweatshop. I haven't worn a watch in years. I just sold my Seiko diving watch. But a pocket watch would be nice.

Seraphim
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know of a quality manufacturer of mechanical pocket watches? I'd like to get a nice and simple one under $100 that isn't made in a Chinese sweatshop. I haven't worn a watch in years. I just sold my Seiko diving watch. But a pocket watch would be nice.

Ha ha!

A good dose of humor is just what this thread needed!:wink2:

jd_1138
06-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Ha ha!

A good dose of humor is just what this thread needed!:wink2:

Lol. I guess they don't exist anymore. A hundred years ago, you could probably walk into any general store or mercantile and walk past the barrels of coffee beans, flour, and rice to the back counter, and buy a nice pocket watch for $5 that was designed and built by an old world Swiss or German watchmaker.

Emcphers
06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
I wear Invicta watches. They're nice looking w/ big faces and fairly cheap. I am always wearing a watch because I am constantly checking the time. If I am not sporting a time piece on my wrist, I am constantly annoyed the whole day through, b/c I have to reach for my damned cell phone. Get back to sporting a watch, OP. I understand what you mean w/ the battery thing. I've been wearing the same watch for weeks b/c my others have dead batteries lol!

scottish steve
06-21-2012, 09:27 PM
But when you're mechanical watch needs serviced its away for weeks and costs you a lot more than changing a battery, all things being equal.

orchyboy
06-22-2012, 06:12 AM
I still like watches even though I always have my phone on me. I like the look of them.

Deltaboy
06-24-2012, 03:33 PM
It allows me to scare teenage boys who don't know what one is when they show up.

oc_in_fw
06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Seriously though... My normal everyday wear watch is a Casio G-Shock atomic solar.
As a traffic signal tech, I absolutely must have dead-accurate time at all times, since synchronization of traffic signals depends on the timing of multiple intersections matching the distance and speed of traffic from one to another... seconds actually do count.
I've yet to see a cell phone with a seconds display (granted, I've never used a "smartphone"). Before I got the G-Shock, my only option was to set the controller time 1 minute ahead and wait for when the minute on the cell phone would tick over to the next minute and hit "enter".
so, you are one of the guys responsible for timings light so that I get stuck at every one. How much is the gas company paying you :001_smile. Just kidding

cb91710
06-24-2012, 08:19 PM
so, you are one of the guys responsible for timings light so that I get stuck at every one. How much is the gas company paying you :001_smile. Just kidding

Not yet....

Right now it's still my job to verify that the timing matches the database and that everything is working "as intended" (which generally, is screwed up if you're waiting on a side street).
The job I'm transitioning into over the next month, I will become the one responsible for actually timing the intersections and synchronizing arterials.

...but not in Fort Worth :wink:

oc_in_fw
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Not yet....

Right now it's still my job to verify that the timing matches the database and that everything is working "as intended" (which generally, is screwed up if you're waiting on a side street).
The job I'm transitioning into over the next month, I will become the one responsible for actually timing the intersections and synchronizing arterials.

...but not in Fort Worth :wink:
This area is bad for lights. It is almost as if they are purposely timed wrong. I don't get stuck much on the bike, though. I can get to 60 in less than five seconds, so if I get caught at the first, I don't get caught at the rest.

cb91710
06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Some cities do that, and call it "traffic calming"... They'll throw speedbumps on residential streets, and on minor secondaries, mini traffic circles.
They'll also coordinate the signals to sync up to 5mph under the limit.

We just follow the 80th percentile. Limit's 35, if 80% of the drivers are doing 40, we sync for 40.
If they're doing 45, our motor officers aren't doing their job :biggrin:

Doc4
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
But when you're mechanical watch needs serviced its away for weeks and costs you a lot more than changing a battery, all things being equal.

Yeah, but the mechanical watch crowd never stop at just one, so they get to wear a different one and wax poetical about how nice it is to do things the slow, old way, and still have a watch on their wrist.

It allows me to scare teenage boys who don't know what one is when they show up.

After you get the vacant stare in response to "clockwise" you can demonstrate to junior what exactly "clockwise" IS. :ohmy:

Some cities do that, and call it "traffic calming"... They'll throw speedbumps on residential streets, and on minor secondaries, mini traffic circles.
They'll also coordinate the signals to sync up to 5mph under the limit.

We just follow the 80th percentile. Limit's 35, if 80% of the drivers are doing 40, we sync for 40.
If they're doing 45, our motor officers aren't doing their job :biggrin:

I know one town in particular, for decades they've had the highway through town synched so that you stop at a red light, and when it turns green you get to the next light just after it goes amber. Ditto all the way through town. :cursing:

scottish steve
06-25-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't know if it has changed but one long section of a Glasgow st, Great Western Road, had the lights setup so that if you hit the first green and were travelling at 28mph you'd get all the others too. "Traffic calming" has gotten ridiculous in Scotland. I'm sure it's much worse in England. This despite the fact that the breaking distance of the average car since the speed limit was imposed in the mid sixties has increased massively.

Lesmore
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I've worn the same watch for 30 years and never replaced a battery. It doesn't use a battery (has a mechanical movement) and as long as I wear every day it keeps excellent time. It's a Rolex Air King Date.

I love the way it looks...stainless steel...elegant...traditional.

garyg
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
I've worn the same watch for 30 years and never replaced a battery. It doesn't use a battery (has a mechanical movement) and as long as I wear every day it keeps excellent time. It's a Rolex Air King Date.

I love the way it looks...stainless steel...elegant...traditional.

That's a nice one, no longer available .. I had one & sold it way back ..

To the original post, admitting I didn't read every page, I wear a watch, a GMT II, and it is better than a phone, because I leave the phone on the counter,

Blondie
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Lol. I guess they don't exist anymore. A hundred years ago, you could probably walk into any general store or mercantile and walk past the barrels of coffee beans, flour, and rice to the back counter, and buy a nice pocket watch for $5 that was designed and built by an old world Swiss or German watchmaker.

Actually, and quite sadly, a hundred years ago it would have been an American made timepiece that would have crushed a swiss or german watch in accuracy. It was only mid to late 20th century when the swiss started keeping the time. Of course, ramping post war production after the war in the 40's was a problem and that was the true beginning of the end for the American Watch Industry. Enter the swiss, and you have what you have now.

OMyMyOHellYes
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
No watches?!?

Heathens.

Next thing you know, they will be starting a Norelco Rotary blade shaver forum for folk like that...

OMyMyOHellYes
06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
When flying, we use a clock for quite a bit of navigation and while there is one on the panel (it is usually pretty crappy), I trust a good chronometer on my wrist.

Many many many of those clocks in the panel (at least those of the 8 day wind up variety) have Swiss movements, many, if not most of them, by Breitling. I tried to price a new one from Beech (King Air yoke cap mount) and it was north of $3K IIRC. I had two of the old Wakmann (Breitling), or (was it Waltham?) clocks worked over (were NOS).

OMyMyOHellYes

john999
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
A Citizen Echo drive is the way to go if you wear a watch. Never have to worry about the battery going dead.

oc_in_fw
06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
If I ever have to go to the jewelry store with the wife, you will find me drooling at the watch case. In the future, I may be getting a promotion that will require dressing with a jacket and tie (the horror, the horror). I may go 3 piece, because I think a pocket watch is a classy looking thing. I really like the ones with the visible movements (which will make me feel better, since my work experience is in the technical field).

maxman
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I....I.... I just can't believe that someone wouldn't wear a watch.....I'm......flummoxed.

Actually, my wife doesn't and most of my friends don't.
She asks me for the time so I guess it all works out.
It just means I have to wear a watch, so I get permission to buy (right???)

Go West Young Man
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I like watches. I just don't have any and never really think about it except in threads like this.

Masterkova
06-28-2012, 10:01 PM
I haven't worn a watch since 2000, except when I'm running or for extended travel (Timex Ironman). I try to use technology to simplify my life, so if I have my phone, no need for a watch. I haven't had a land line since 2000 as well.

justjcez
06-29-2012, 12:57 AM
I agree with having a functional accessory and spending a little more for something with a mechanical twist. If your battery powered watch dies however, it's about 10-15 bucks to replace the battery at sears, perhaps cheaper. You'll probably spend more on electricity for a cell phone. I also think it's a little easier to use a watch in social settings, checking your watch vs checking your phone. Also, there have been cases where I don't want someone to know I have a cell phone (when I'm out on the town, when strangers ask to borrow a phone, etc) and having a watch allows me to check the time independently.
- J

scottish steve
06-30-2012, 07:20 PM
If you are traveling in unsavoury parts it's a lot safer to consult your cheap Timex than pull out your iPhone or Samsung Galaxy SIII. For an added twist, deliberately smash it against a rock before you leave the house. :-)

Argonaut
06-30-2012, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=maxman;4242124]I....I.... I just can't believe that someone wouldn't wear a watch.....I'm......flummoxed.

QUOTE]
On the rare occasion I leave the house without a watch, I find myself looking at a pale stripe on my wrist many times a day.

little Big feather
07-01-2012, 05:59 AM
A watch does not tell you the time that will be in your future....It can only tell you the time lost in your past.
Think about it.

cfender
07-03-2012, 06:30 AM
And if you feel like being an a** you can conspicuously check your wrist watch with a furrowed brow to show your displeasure with whatever is going on. Checking your cell phone doesn't have the same effect.

Zarba
07-04-2012, 07:05 AM

+1

Zarba
07-04-2012, 07:10 AM

My wife has diamonds and I have watches.

STINGYBRIMSandBOURBON
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Is it worth wearing pants?

Of course it is. What you should have asked is "Is it acceptable to wear two watches"

:)

diphy
07-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I used to be in your camp, always had a battery run watch, except for a 2yr period of an automatic- which I lost. i cannot imagine life without a watch- without a cell phone yes. I almost never take mine off my wrist except for an occasional cleaning. have a citizen eco drive now for almost 7 months- love it- not the best looking watch- but wont trade it ever. i cannot afford a nice automatic- like the precision of a quartz watch. Its like DE shaving- a watch is always going to a nice addition.

charger02
07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
My current job does not allow me to carry a cellphone so wearing a wristwatch is extremely important to meet the numerous engagements that I have during the week. On the weekend I have my trusty cell but oftentimes I find the bulk of a cellphone in my pocket to be more of a hinderance (especially in the recent heatwave) than a help.

Bottom line, I need a watch right now for multiple reasons most of them work related. More importantly if you are coaching a group of 8-9 year olds in youth sports it helps to have a watch to manage your time to ensure your kids aren't bored:thumbup:. Anyone who has coached kids can relate!!!!!!

msouthern
07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
This is a really interesting thread... I wear a watch all the time I am awake... but similar to choosing to preserve the tradition of wetshaving, I wear a watch with an automatic movement. No batteries to die. It has springs and gears and uses the same "mechanics" to keep time as was invented more than 200 years ago. Like my practice of wetshaving, one of the true delights of my day is to look down at my watch, or raise it to my ear and hear the rapid ticking of the movement...

Michael

LarryDarrell
07-11-2012, 08:02 PM

And at some time during WW1 men started asking jewellers to convert their pocket watches to be worn on the wrist. Why? Because it was much more convenient and practical to glance at your wrist to tell the time than rummaging around in a pocket when you were about go 'over the top'. I think the cellphone-as-watch thing is a fad, and when people begin to realize how practical this 'unitasker' is wristwatches will be back in fashion.

sparco
07-14-2012, 08:58 AM
A gentleman without a nice watch on his wrist is only a man.:euro:

KipNoxzema
07-25-2012, 03:18 AM
To me, it's like saying, "why buy a television when I can watch movies on my PC?" People still enjoy 'em. I used to buy watches that would not last more than 2 years and I admit, I got fed up with it, too. Then I bought an Invicta, which lasted years. I was hooked. Look at it another way. Many men just use their cell phones for the time, which means less men wear a nice watch. If you like wearing nice clothes, a watch becomes part of your style. I've even worn blue jeans, a T shirt, and a nice watch. It dresses it up. People notice.
I recommend an automatic, which winds the watch by the movement of your hand.

JDTTO
07-25-2012, 03:29 AM
I feel naked without a watch but favour mechanical automatic watches so batteries are usually not an issue (only resetting them once every few days).

It's my only accessory (if I do not count my wedding ring).

Trouthunter
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
A watch is a must - and if you are the type of man who is interested in using a safety razor or straight razor, then a watch (iMHO) is absolutely mandatory - no doubt. And, I would suggest that either an automatic movement or manual wind is most appropriate. Amongst my collection is a 35 year old Seiko automatic movement which has been solid for all these years. New Seiko automatics can be had for a reasonable price -but search the web for insights and reviews on the various movements they offer - some are better. I revolve my wear of several : Seiko, Rolex Subamriner, Breitling Chrono, Rolex Yachtmaster...to name a few. Treat yourself - and you don't need to spend thousands (but if you might. I can recommend it highly). My Seiko is a trust go-to which I will hand down to one of my boys someday (along with the rest). Think beyond your wrist and to those of admiring children, or neohews/nieces.

Vickers
07-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't carry a cell phone when I'm surfing.

oc_in_fw
07-27-2012, 07:41 PM
(if I do not count my wedding ring).
Mine is tattooed on.

PugslyCat
07-27-2012, 07:56 PM
As usual around here, YMMV. If you are working for a company where the corporate culture is to where suits or even dress shirts and ties, you should wear a watch as an accessory. It may sound silly to you, but in those kinds of companies it matters to the people around you. That being said, after I left the IT department of a hotel chain I have mostly worked in khakis and polo shirts and haven't worn a watch on a regular basis. That used to drive my late wife nuts, as she worked in a suit and tie environment.

I do where a watch as an accessory when going out for the evening.

I always wear a watch when flying a plane as I need to know the time for navigation, judging fuel consumption (never trust the gauges), and because it's a rental that needs to be back at a certain time. The watch also serves as a reminder in a couple of ways:

I move the watch to my right wrist when opening a flight plan. If it isn't on my left wrist and I'm not airborne I better get on the phone and close the flight plan.
For the first 30 minutes of the hour the minute hand points right, so that's the wing tank I set the fuel selector to. From half past until the top of the hour, it points left and that's the tank I select.

Walker
07-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Mine is tattooed on.

I can't wear a ring at work so i got her lips tattooed on me. That way she can't get upset because i never wear my ring lol.

oc_in_fw
07-29-2012, 12:37 PM
I can't wear a ring at work so i got her lips tattooed on me. That way she can't get upset because i never wear my ring lol.

I was always taking it off. I work around high voltages and hydraulic fluid. I took it off when washing my hands. I cannot stand water under a ring or a watch.

AirForceMX
08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
They make a lot of solar powered watches nowadays. Casio, Citizen, Seiko...just to name a few.

steammaker
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I had a collection of 60 Disney watches, then got out of using them due to my cellphone and battery cost. Now, I wear my Citizen Ecodrive and at first it was an accessory, but now I never use my phone to tell the time and feel lost without it. And since its a solar watch, there is NOOOO need to replace any batteries.

watchiekong
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I've always worn a watch from the time I had my first Timex as a kid. I've had numerous watches over the years. Current favourite is a Vostok Amphibia.

It's more second nature to check my wrist for time and date than my mobile phone.

It's no different to some guys always wearing a suit or tie, or even trainers or jeans...

Each of us have our own personal dress standard, really.

rahgnar.s
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I am very much a newbie here, and thusly I am unsure of how much my opinion matters.
I feel that wearing a tasteful timepiece is a great habit toget into. A nice understated watch can do wonders to complete a professional look.

Maybe I am overthinking this but wearing a (preferably mechanical) watch is not simply about time or style, it is a state of mind. When looking into the face of my watch I am not only reading the time, but taking a trip back to a time before the cellular phone was king. A watch takes me back to when quality, precision, and simplicity mattered much more than having the newest cell phone. My personal opinion: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Here is a picture of my Seiko. I wouldn't trade this minimalistic beauty for anything.

Crixus
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I've always worn a nice Swiss watch. But then, I've never carried a cell phone. Ever.:001_smile

Graybeard57
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
It's easier for me to look at my watch than check my cell. If battery life is a concern, go with a solar powered model.

cb91710
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
It's easier for me to look at my watch than check my cell. If battery life is a concern, go with a solar powered model.

+1

In my business, I need atomic accuracy, to the second.
My cell phones don't display seconds, so the only way to accurately set the time on a device is to set it to the next minute and then anticipate when the phone is going to kick over from a 55 to 56.

Citizen Eco-Drive Solar Atomic. Set it and forget it. Takes 2 seconds to adjust it when changing time zones.

I paid about $225 on sale at Costco. They have a number of models including chrono and diver style. I just wanted a traditional analog.

The Count of Merkur Cristo
01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Hmmm, is it worth wearing a watch? http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/think/m1703.gif

I don't own a wrist watch, but a 1936 Longines 14K pocket watch (engraved with my full name, birthdate and the quote..."A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...
a Pocket Watch tells a Story." ).

Besides keeping time, my watch has great sentimental value (many, many years ago when I joined the Sevice, my Father had passed this watch, chain, fob, charms and pocket knife on to me [which I will pass on to my oldest son]), to include satisfiying my interest and link with the past (the 'good old day's, antiques, vintage. ect...), and tradition.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/time-pocket-watches/0002.gif "One must learn to govern time...not be governed by it". CBJ

Attached Image - My watch attached to a long 14K chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic Charms (plus a horse shoe for good luck), attached and has a 'Mustard Seed' as the watch fob.

Cagliostro
01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Well I have a couple pocket watches, a cheap K mart one I dunno the brand plain ole silver it is alright. I got a good one from Winchester I got for my late father I am gonna get a battery replaced in to use, heirloom I am hoping. I wear normally a Casio wrist watch that ran me about $200 a G Shock yadda ya, but in winter they get annoying getting caught on the layers in my sleeves in the cold and my flexible band watch spins and thats annoying so thinking about switching to my pocket watch to avoid all that plus I think it is stylish! I got a phone as well, but I don't see them as stylish imho just me thoguh lol.

e-man67
01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I feel every man should have a nice watch. It says something about you. I am not a big designer clothes person but I do have several nice watches. You can customize your watch to fit your tastes. Here is a photo of my Christmas present to myself with a custom Kain Heritage leather strap. I picked the color of leather, stitching, and the pvd buckle. It is a Panerai 177. I also have a Rolex Submariner (my wife got me for my 40th) and a Doxa Searambler. I almost always buy used because if I get bored with one or ever need money I can sell it on a watch forum. You never really lose money if you buy smart and sometimes you gain some. Kinda like stock you can actually hold and use.

lmarkow
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Go out without a watch? Would you go out without a pocket knife, or pants to put it in? There are only 4 things you should reach into your pocket for: 1) wallet, 2) keys, 3) handkerchief, 4) discreet adjustments. Ok, maybe that's a bit overstated.

oc_in_fw
01-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Hmmm, is it worth wearing a watch? http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/think/m1703.gif

I don't own a wrist watch, but a 1936 Longines 14K pocket watch (engraved with my full name, birthdate and the quote..."A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...
a Pocket Watch tells a Story." ).

Besides keeping time, my watch has great sentimental value (many, many years ago when I joined the Sevice, my Father had passed this watch, chain, fob, charms and pocket knife on to me [which I will pass on to my oldest son]), to include satisfiying my interest and link with the past (the 'good old day's, antiques, vintage. ect...), and tradition.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/time-pocket-watches/0002.gif "One must learn to govern time...not be governed by it". CBJ

Attached Image - My watch attached to a long 14K chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic Charms (plus a horse shoe for good luck), attached and has a 'Mustard Seed' as the watch fob.

Very nice, Christopher.

The Count of Merkur Cristo
01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Very nice, Christopher.
oc:
Thanx for the 'shout-out', support and for sharing! :thumbsup: