PDA

View Full Version : Yankees are world champions

David6Eagle
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
What a thrill to watch the New York Yankees win the world series.

texbilly
11-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Congrats to the Yanks from a long-time "Senior Circuit" fan. And Matsui? Wow!

Topgumby
11-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Yaaawwwn.....again? :wink:

jsrdrnr
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Again?

ouch
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Was there ever a doubt?

TimmyBoston
11-05-2009, 12:12 AM
It's nice to know that World Series titles can be bought granted you've got a few hundred million to throw away. What a sad day for baseball.

Congrats to Derek Jeter, at least they have one class act.

kopio
11-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah! I was at work tonight, but I tivoed it. The kiddo called right after they won to tell me though. I was touched.

Mr_Amazing
11-05-2009, 12:39 AM
It's nice to know that World Series titles can be bought granted you've got a few hundred million to throw away. What a sad day for baseball.

Agreed. I can't support a team with 2 Known cheaters in A-Roid and Pettite. In my eyes, this invalidates everything. I feel bad for some of the other players who didn't cheat. They deserve to win without having the steroid issue hanging over their heads. Jeter is truly deserving as well as others on the team, but this win will forever be linked to steroid use.

ouch
11-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Agreed. I can't support a team with 2 Known cheaters in A-Roid and Pettite. In my eyes, this invalidates everything. I feel bad for some of the other players who didn't cheat. They deserve to win without having the steroid issue hanging over their heads. Jeter is truly deserving as well as others on the team, but this win will forever be linked to steroid use.

I guess the Red Sox will have to return their last two titles and set the clock back to 1918 as well. :001_tongu

New2DEShaving_Montreal
11-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Haha, A-Roid. Nice one. This one wasn't even worth it.

WhosYerBob
11-05-2009, 02:44 AM
yaaawwwn.....again? :wink:
+1

thunderball
11-05-2009, 02:58 AM
The Red Sox will be back....:biggrin:

King of Kailua
11-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Victorino will be back (from Kailua)!

SRock
11-05-2009, 03:50 AM
I called it! (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1594892&postcount=73)

slantman
11-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Silence Is Golden

beginish
11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Congrats to the Yanks on a great win :a14:. They beat the toughest team in the NL, hands down. A couple of pitches here and there, and the series could have turned out the other way. I'm disappointed that the Phils didn't repeat, but there's no shame losing to that team. I look forward to a rematch next year!

Argonaut
11-05-2009, 07:12 AM
I guess the Red Sox will have to return their last two titles and set the clock back to 1918 as well. :001_tongu

Well said, The whining factor makes the victory so much more enjoyable. The curse of big poppie is over at long last!

Prince
11-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Who? :biggrin:

SpyvSpy
11-05-2009, 07:57 AM
What a good game darn phillies they did one heck of a lousy job. 

SmoovD
11-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Nice series. Actually would not have minded a Game 7 but am very happy with the Game 6 outcome.

Isaac
11-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I would just like to say that I predicted they would win in 6 :) Even though I had to work last night..and saw all of but 6 minutes of it, I am as happy as a little girl :)

trumpetchris
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Beating the current World Champs is never a given. Turning an all-star team into a real team that can battle week in and week out is a coaching feat in itself. Congrats for number 27!

SilentTuba
11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Can't wait to go to the parade tomorrow!!! I'll have plenty of photos to share.

Hmm, I'll have to call my dad and see if we can scan the picture of Joe DiMaggio we took at the Yankees parade in 1996...

The Nid Hog
11-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm a Pirates fan so it's hard to get enthused about it one way or the other. All I can hope is that climate change floods all our coastal cities and gets rid of the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. There might be hope for the Pirates in post-apocalyptic America. Or maybe not.

SilentTuba
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm a Pirates fan so it's hard to get enthused about it one way or the other. All I can hope is that climate change floods all our coastal cities and gets rid of the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. There might be hope for the Pirates in post-apocalyptic America. Or maybe not.

I visited Pittsburgh with my girlfriend in April (she lived there for about 8 years, and loves the city). We went to a Pirates game, and PNC Park is one of the most beautiful ballparks you could hope to see. It's a tragedy they can't get a decent team to play in it.

norton
11-05-2009, 09:27 AM
There might be hope for the Pirates in post-apocalyptic America. Or maybe not.

Not unless there's a salary cap (ESPN link) (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=4054660) (and salary floor) in that post-apocalyptic baseball league.

MLB 2009 Payroll (from the ESPN Link above)

N.Y. Yankees $201,449,289
New York Mets 135,773,988
Chicago Cubs 135,050,000
Boston 122,696,000
Detroit 115,085,145
Los Angeles Angels 113,709,000
Philadelphia 113,004,048
Houston 102,996,415
Los Angeles Dodgers 100,458,101
Seattle 98,904,167

....17 other teams....

Pittsburgh 48,743,000
San Diego 42,796,700
Florida 36,814,000

MacArthur Mike
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM

I don't know that it is a sad day for baseball, maybe for someone with Boston in their names but the Sox have had a pretty big payroll as of late as well. A lot of people complain about the Yankees payroll, but let's look at it another way. There are plenty of very cheap owners who use their team as a tax shelter and have money to pay players but don't because they don't care about the product that they put on the field. When the Marlins won their first World Series, they figured that it was "good enough" for the fans and had a fire sale on their talent in the off season.

The Yankees put their money where their mouth is and use money that they could pocket to put a quality product on the field. If the Yankees were a corporation (so to speak) and they invested their revenue into putting an even greater product out for consumers to buy we would be celebrating that fact.

The Yankees also have the "Core Four" who came up together and started the dynasty back in 1996, how many teams can say that in this era of free agency? Plus they have some great up and comers who weren't paid for help but were brought up through the system like Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Nick Swisher, Joba and Phil Hughes.

Say what you will about some of the players who have been named on the Yankees as people who have taken steroids, but if you think you support a team that didn't have any players juicing then you are crazy. Their name just didn't come out.

Lastly, Derek Jeter is among a bunch of players with class on that team. Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Hideki Matsui to name a few have never shown nothing but class.

DaveAri
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Being a Mets fan in the same town as the Yankees is not easy. My warmest congradulations to George Steinbrenner and the entire 1st class organization. I finally after many years admire George Steinbrenner. There is something to be said about a man who wants to win for the fans and the city where they play. He backs it up with reinvesting into the team every year. Since he has owned the team they are nearly always in it. The real bad owners in baseball are the ones who take the luxury tax and never spend a dime on player development. The Mets and Cubs are some of the richer teams in the league and they cant seem to win. Watching the series and reading the local papers you saw how the players wanted to win it for George Steinbrenner one more time as a tribute to him.

I will be lucky enough to be at New York City's Hall on Friday welcoming the team after the ticker tape parade up the canyon of hero's as only New York City Can do. I will post pictures over the weekend.

Just to be clear I still wish it was a Mets celebration.

TimmyBoston
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't know that it is a sad day for baseball, maybe for someone with Boston in their names but the Sox have had a pretty big payroll as of late as well. A lot of people complain about the Yankees payroll, but let's look at it another way.

Mike, you're right, there are a handful of teams with big budgets, the Red Sox included, but your analogy is erroneous, if you make 75% of my salary are you going to go around telling people we make the same money? I think not. The Yanks spend $50 Million Dollars more than anyone else. This is a very sad for baseball.

strat1117
11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
The Yankees have been one of, if not the, greatest sports organization of the last century.

What a pity that a bunch of sore losers can't even acknowledge what a great sesaon they had the day after they win the World Series in convincing fashion. Very unsporting, and very disappointing. I had thought more of the gentlemen that inhabit this forum.

PedroNavaja
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
It's not a surprise for the Yankees to win the World Series. They'd the best record out of 33 teams, so it's only fair that they won the WS.

As far as the Phlillies, they had great hitters, but they're lacking in the pitching department.

It's difficult to win when they only had 1 good pitcher, Lee, and the second best, P. Martinez, came out of retirement in July, but nothing to brag about.

Hamels is a looser, and should be punished for his attitude.

Congratulations Yankees :a5:

infotech
11-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Hello pot, my name is kettle and I'm from Boston where we don't buy talent and championships.

What a tired old argument. It's been 9 years since the Yankees have won anything. How many has Boston got in that time period?

If Boston had 50 million more to spend they would. The Redsox and Yankees both spend ridiculous amounts of money to buy championships and it is a shame when either of them win, but you cant hold it against them.

Congrats to the Yankees!

Argonaut
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
the yankees have been one of, if not the, greatest sports organization of the last century.

What a pity that a bunch of sore losers can't even acknowledge what a great sesaon they had the day after they win the world series in convincing fashion. Very unsporting, and very disappointing. I had thought more of the gentlemen that inhabit this forum.

+1

AJ72
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Congratulations Yankees on purchasing another world title. It's not hard to win championships when you can buy any player you want and no salary caps to enforce it. Most of their players are from outside the organization (even outside the country) and not home grown. It was funny to see everyone praising the organization last night after the win when there is no organization. Just spend and purchase titles wow what a great organization. Congratulations to the Phillies organization who won the world series last year and reached another one the following year. The Phillies do it with scouting, drafting, trading, and development not purchasing. Congratulations Phillies on a wonderful ORGANIZATION. I'm sure they will meet again next year but I have a feeling the Yankees are going to buy more players this offseason and end up with the same result.... another purchased world championship!

strat1117
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Congratulations Yankees on purchasing another world title. It's not hard to win championships when you can buy any player you want and no salary caps to enforce it. Most of their players are from outside the organization (even outside the country) and not home grown. It was funny to see everyone praising the organization last night after the win when there is no organization. Just spend and purchase titles wow what a great organization. Congratulations to the Phillies organization who won the world series last year and reached another one the following year. The Phillies do it with scouting, drafting, trading, and development not purchasing. Congratulations Phillies on a wonderful ORGANIZATION. I'm sure they will meet again next year but I have a feeling the Yankees are going to buy more players this offseason and end up with the same result.... another purchased world championship!

This is exactly the type of ignorance I was referring to in my previous post.

In no particular order: Derek Jeter, Joba Chamberlain, Robinson Cano, Andy Pettitte, Melky Cabrera, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera -- all home grown.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, just some of the more visible ones.

Now, what were you saying?

AJ72
11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I was referring to the players who actually contributed to this championship (Damon, Matsui, Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Rodriguez, who collectively made $111,400,000.00 alone this year!!!!!!!!). Wow, $111,400,000.00 for 6 players only in ONE YEAR! If that's not purchasing championships I don't know what is. The entire Phillies payroll is $111,209,000 less than the 6 Yankees players I mentioned above. Carlos Ruiz earns $475,000/year and J.A. Happ earns $405,000/year. That's earning championships not buying them.

This is exactly the type of ignorance I was referring to in my previous post.

In no particular order: Derek Jeter, Joba Chamberlain, Robinson Cano, Andy Pettitte, Melky Cabrera, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera -- all home grown.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, just some of the more visible ones.

Now, what were you saying?

strat1117
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I was referring to the players who actually contributed to this championship (Damon, Matsui, Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Rodriguez, who collectively made $111,400,000.00 alone this year!!!!!!!!). Wow, $111,400,000.00 for 6 players only in ONE YEAR! If that's not purchasing championships I don't know what is. The entire Phillies payroll is $111,209,000 less than the 6 Yankees players I mentioned above. Carlos Ruiz earns $475,000/year and J.A. Happ earns $405,000/year. That's earning championships not buying them.

1. Are you saying that Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada (all of whom were also on the 1996 through 2000 teams), et al., didn't contribute to the Championship?

2. The Phillies didn't win the championship, the Yankees did.

:rolleyes:

AJ72
11-05-2009, 01:23 PM
How quickly you forget about championships. I was talking about Philly's championship last year. The players you mention weren't able to deliver for the last 9 years of which the Yankees had the highest payroll anyway. Bad return on investments. 1 championship in the last 9 years before yesterday. If the Yankees were on Wall Street, they would have needed a bailout for the reckless spending however the organization makes more than they spend so it doesn't matter if they don't win. Even if these players are home grown, It doesn't diminish the fact that they are getting paid what they are. I love Jeter and Rivera but the subject was not about them being home grown, it was about the Yankees purchasing championships which is exactly what they did. The Yankees invested 423,500,000.00 this past offseason alone to only 3 free agents. WOW!

1. Are you saying that Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada (all of whom were also on the 1996 through 2000 teams), et al., didn't contribute to the Championship?

2. The Phillies didn't win the championship, the Yankees did.

:rolleyes:

Argonaut
11-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Jealousy breeds ignorance.

strat1117
11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Jealousy breeds ignorance.

Exactly. There is no point in responding to someone who has become irrational on a relatively unimportant subject, for reasons at which one can only begin to guess.

Obsessed
11-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Congrats to the Yanks on a great win :a14:. They beat the toughest team in the NL, hands down. A couple of pitches here and there, and the series could have turned out the other way. I'm disappointed that the Phils didn't repeat, but there's no shame losing to that team. I look forward to a rematch next year!

Nice post, but good sportsmanship is not going to lead this thread anywhere interesting. :rolleyes:

Argonaut
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Nice post, but good sportsmanship is not going to lead this thread anywhere interesting. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

SilentTuba
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
What I don't understand is, why it's bad for an owner to want to win as badly as a player, and be willing to dig deep into the coffers to make it happen. Anyone who owns a baseball team is exceptionally wealthy. I'd rather have owners spend money and try to win then be cheap and say, "we're in a small market." that's telling your fans it's their fault for not supporting the team enough. Top that off with the fact that all those small-market teams get profit sharing and luxury tax money, and the cry of poverty is nonsense.

As for the steroid issue, there is simply no team in baseball that is clean. Not one. To believe otherwise is naive.

AJ72
11-05-2009, 02:27 PM
There is absolutely no jealousy here since I am not a baseball fan period. I watch football only and my team is the Steelers. I'm am just against unfair play and the rules of baseball allow big market teams to outspend the small market teams which provides an uneven playing field. There needs to be a salary cap as in other sports to even the playing field and let true management and talent win championships. If the Yankees would have won the championship by beating an equally paid team or higher paid team, I would have been the first to congratulate them. Why were you persistently defending an "unimportant subject" anyway. I'm sure anybody who is not a Yankees fan can do the math. There is no need to guess, the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and that's exactly what the Yankees paid for.

Exactly. There is no point in responding to someone who has become irrational on a relatively unimportant subject, for reasons at which one can only begin to guess.

strat1117
11-05-2009, 02:51 PM
There is absolutely no jealousy here since I am not a baseball fan period. I watch football only and my team is the Steelers. I'm am just against unfair play and the rules of baseball allow big market teams to outspend the small market teams which provides an uneven playing field. There needs to be a salary cap as in other sports to even the playing field and let true management and talent win championships. If the Yankees would have won the championship by beating an equally paid team or higher paid team, I would have been the first to congratulate them. Why were you persistently defending an "unimportant subject" anyway. I'm sure anybody who is not a Yankees fan can do the math. There is no need to guess, the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and that's exactly what the Yankees paid for.

The only thing I'm defending is people's right to be happy that their baseball team won the world series without having some wet rag with an axe to grind try to ruin it for them.

AJ72
11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
In that case, Congratulations Yankees fans! Go Steelers! I think we should all talk about something we agree on. A fine shave!

The only thing I'm defending is people's right to be happy that their baseball team won the world series without having some wet rag with an axe to grind try to ruin it for them.

Argonaut
11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Parva leves capiunt animas

strat1117
11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Parva leves capiunt animas

I love it when you speak French . . . ! :wink:

Argonaut
11-05-2009, 03:13 PM
:wink2:

ouch
11-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I have the same problem with the housing market. Why should someone who is willing to spend more money get to live in a better house than I do? :001_tongu

strat1117
11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I have the same problem with the housing market. Why should someone who is willing to spend more money get to live in a better house than I do? :001_tongu

Amen, brother. Communism rocks!!! :punk:

PedroNavaja
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Sometimes people forget that 1) Sports is a business and as such comes products and competition and 2) for the Yankees to pay such salaries, they have to subsidize other teams, I'm sure those teams do not complain

beginish
11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
You know, for all that we can snipe about the way baseball is run as a business, there is something about the game that just refuses to be turned corporate. As hard as it can be to lay hands on prime seats at places like Fenway, Yankee and Dodger Stadiums, etc, I was heartened to find that on a business trip to Chicago a couple of years ago, I was able to plunk down $22 and get 12th row seats at Wrigley. For every superstar primadonna, there are 10 guys on the same team making the league minimum....and they're genuinely nice. This summer I took my 7 yr old daughter down to BP before the Phils-Pirates. We made our way down to the front row in left field, way off to the side, away from the throngs of people waiting to nab a ball. The pitchers were in the outfield shagging fly balls, and Ryan Madson snared one. He turned around and looked at the crowds yelling for him to throw them the ball. Then he looked over to the side and saw my little girl who was just standing there, not yelling anything, at which point he gestured to me and threw the ball for her. She yelled "Thank You!" and he waved back. Point is that most players are still accessible and remember that it's the fans' game. No other major sport can say that.

I wanted the Phils to win. They'll get 'em next year and baseball will still be fun. And my girl will still have a memory for a lifetime.

TimMechEngr
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I personally don't watch baseball and wouldn't know anything about it, but I can't help but hear the conversations from those who do. Overwhelmingly, what I hear at work, with friends, on sports talk radio, any talk radio actually is that the Yankees just bought another World Series Title, and the only ones who disagree are Yankees fans.

Now, we don't have a MLB team here where I live, but if we did, and if I were a fan, and our team won the World Series, I think I would be happy and celebrating, and deservedly so. At the same time, I couldn't blame anyone else for how they feel about it either.

I'm a college football fan, and I've never agreed with how the best team is decided, and there are no player salaries involved. I think in all sports have disagreements on all sides, and Major League Baseball is no exception. If your team wins, be happy and go celebrate. If someone disagrees, be happy and go celebrate! :biggrin:

strat1117
11-06-2009, 12:46 PM
You know, for all that we can snipe about the way baseball is run as a business, there is something about the game that just refuses to be turned corporate. As hard as it can be to lay hands on prime seats at places like Fenway, Yankee and Dodger Stadiums, etc, I was heartened to find that on a business trip to Chicago a couple of years ago, I was able to plunk down $22 and get 12th row seats at Wrigley. For every superstar primadonna, there are 10 guys on the same team making the league minimum....and they're genuinely nice. This summer I took my 7 yr old daughter down to BP before the Phils-Pirates. We made our way down to the front row in left field, way off to the side, away from the throngs of people waiting to nab a ball. The pitchers were in the outfield shagging fly balls, and Ryan Madson snared one. He turned around and looked at the crowds yelling for him to throw them the ball. Then he looked over to the side and saw my little girl who was just standing there, not yelling anything, at which point he gestured to me and threw the ball for her. She yelled "Thank You!" and he waved back. Point is that most players are still accessible and remember that it's the fans' game. No other major sport can say that.

I wanted the Phils to win. They'll get 'em next year and baseball will still be fun. And my girl will still have a memory for a lifetime.

I bought 2 seats at Yankee Stadium in the upper deck behind home plate for $25 each last summer (old stadium). The seats were great and I felt like I had gotten a bargain.

Obsessed
11-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Again with the pleasant comments indicating a well-adjusted personality. How did you get in here? :wink:

Argonaut
11-06-2009, 02:46 PM

Madson was probably trying to bean her! Hows that Obsessed?:biggrin:

MacArthur Mike
11-06-2009, 05:03 PM

i will disagree with you on a few points here....

1. show me another time that has the "Core Four" who have been the heart and soul of their team for the last 13 years.

2. matsui has been a yankee for 7 seasons now and has only ever played for one team in the USA. it is not like he was some mercenary player hired to come on for one season to win a championship.

3. there are a lot of factors that go into winning a championship. you can have all the talent in the world, but that doesn't guarantee anything. a lot of it depends on a little luck and getting hot at the right time. look at tampa bay last year, everyone thought they were going to crush the Phillies, and on paper they should have, but the Phils got hot at the right time and won.

4. anyone who thinks that the championship was "bought" is clearly out of their minds. those players still went out their every day for 162 games and played their hearts out winning more games than any other mlb team, and playing some very difficult teams along the way. the twins, angels and phillies were no slouches...they may have had a big payroll, but they earned their win and played better and harder than anyone else out there.

beginish
11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Again with the pleasant comments indicating a well-adjusted personality. How did you get in here? :wink:

Some of us Philly fans do penance for booing Santa Claus and pelting Jimmy Johnson with snowballs.

If it helps any, the Mets still suck.

beginish
11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Madson was probably trying to bean her! Hows that Obsessed?:biggrin:

I swore to a friend of mine that I wouldn't give him a hard time anymore. I usually swore after each home run he gave up in the eighth.

beginish
11-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I bought 2 seats at Yankee Stadium in the upper deck behind home plate for $25 each last summer (old stadium). The seats were great and I felt like I had gotten a bargain.

There's nothing like it. A hundred years of spilled beers and peanut shells ground into the concrete make a place like that. I just have Fenway left on my baseball bucket list. Dodger Stadium holds no appeal.