PDA

View Full Version : why is going ATG considered a no-no?

gaseousclay
09-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I think I read somewhere that it can be the cause of ingrown hairs but I think a lot of us prefer ATG to get a closer shave. I don't think I would consider my shave worth it if I couldn't do an ATG pass. is there anyone here that doesn't go ATG or is this just some old wive's tale?

Ru4scuba?
09-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Not an old wive's tale at all. Some folks' faces can't take it. Going ATG isn't considered a no-no. Its just not for everyone.

kingfisher
09-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't go directly ATG. My second XTG pass is skewed toward ATG, but it's still at least half XTG.

Barbarian
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
My face is pretty sensitive, which is one of the reasons I changed to wetshaving with soap, brush, DE.

For a long time I only shaved WTG. Good results wrt sensistivity but mediocre shave.

Once my face adapted to the process I now throw in an XTG and sometimes ATG pass. Much better shaves, no issues with sensistivity now.

taffy
09-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I do go atg about twice a week or if i need a really close shave though i did not do it until i was happy with my shaving.

mdunn
09-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I always go ATG. I think that 'no atg' rule is mainly for cartridges

mliguori
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I always go ATG. I think that 'no atg' rule is mainly for cartridges

Same here.

rainman
09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
I think everyone could do atg if they wanted. It just might really be really tricky for some to find the right combination of shaving equipment in order to do so.

Confuzius
09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
The problem is that ATG with the amount of pressure used in most people's cartridge shaving seriously rips up your face.

With a light touch and practice ATG can be come no problem, for the most part. I still can't ATG my mustache area without getting microzits later on in the day, but the rest of my face, no problem.

Confuzius
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
EDIT: oops double post

texbilly
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
I've never had a problem in 20+ years wetshaving, but some folks' beard growth patterns makes it tricky. As stated, good prep and a light touch does the trick.

Koss
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Sure, my beard is reduced with every pass starting with WTG, then XTG, but if I do not add in a ATG and even touch ups with Blade buffing/J Hooking... I would look and feel as if i didn't bother to even shave!

michiganlover
09-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't do ATG, as doing so seems to make the razor skip, and drag, and is not at all comfortable for me.

Then again, BBS is not my goal. The difference between a DFS, and BBS only matters if you stroke your face against the grain, and really would only matter to me, if someone else were stroking my face.

Since the average person is not going to spend a large amount of time scrutinizing your face, I am totally fine with a shave that has removed all of the viable stubble. :tongue_sm

MichaelG
09-13-2009, 12:53 PM
if you do an ATG pass without the prerequisite wetshaving skills, you can cause razor burn and increase the likelihood of ingrowns. This can put off a newbie.

It's also good advice for guys who've mastered wetshaving a little more, but are still having issues with ingrowns.

Having said that, some guys have trouble ATG. I really don't do ATG with DE or Injectors. I'm slightly more aggressive ATG with cartridges, however. I've never had ingrown issues with cartridges, but get minor bumps with DEs and/or injectors if I go completely ATG.

As with most things related to shaving, an "everyone's different" should be inferred along with any advice.:001_smile

I think I read somewhere that it can be the cause of ingrown hairs but I think a lot of us prefer ATG to get a closer shave. I don't think I would consider my shave worth it if I couldn't do an ATG pass. is there anyone here that doesn't go ATG or is this just some old wive's tale?

alexo
09-13-2009, 02:32 PM
With DE I didn't have a problem with ATG but with straight, it took some learning curve. Now, I don't even shave XTG at except around the mouth and I shave ATG with no WTG under the jaw when I want to finish quickly.
I get no bleeders or burns and I'm still surprised as to how long it takes for the stubble to be felt again. Ok, I admit I get worried I won't have enough for the shave next morning :biggrin:

dpmtherrien
09-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I'll go ATG for my 3rd pass. When I do though I make sure I use NO PRESSURE what-so-ever. I'll even blade buff ATG. It took my quite awhile before I was able to do so with comfort however. Just start slow. like on your cheeks or sideburns, and gradually work into it. I get a nice smooth shave now. :001_rolle :tongue: :wink: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

gone down south
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Going ATG is a definite no-no...... if you haven't performed a good prep, and don't have excellent razor control skills.

talibeard
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
My last pass is always an ATG except when I am using a new type of blade that isn't doing much good on the WTG and XTG passes.

Without an ATG pass there is simply too much stubble left and in order to get a DFS I just have to. No problems as long as I am using a proper blade and the most rewarding pass of them all!

texbilly
09-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll go ATG for my 3rd pass. When I do though I make sure I use NO PRESSURE what-so-ever. I'll even blade buff ATG. It took my quite awhile before I was able to do so with comfort however. Just start slow. like on your cheeks or sideburns, and gradually work into it. I get a nice smooth shave now. :001_rolle :tongue: :wink: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

+1 My method as well. :001_smile

82R100
09-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I always do ATG, two passes of it on my throat. But I've never had an ingrown, even using a Mach 3, so I'm lucky.

- Chris

Thunderjugg
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
i get ingrowns, going atg without the proper planets in align, and various other circumstances have to be in place. i can do it. but i still don't do it all the time, or wish to either. its just not feasible for an every day shave. not yet anyway, im still torqueing around with some things. ultimately though, i am one of those guys for whom atg, (only in two spots) can be quite an issue. just the two spots. i can be vicious as i wish anywhere else on my face/neck.

MinnMD
09-13-2009, 05:57 PM
With against-the-grain, the hairs tend to push the blade into the skin. I have sensitive skin and generally avoid it.

MinnMD

Luc
09-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Not an old wive's tale at all. Some folks' faces can't take it. Going ATG isn't considered a no-no. Its just not for everyone.

What he said!

BROWNS
09-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I've yet to do an ATG pass without being uncomfortable after. I haven't been wetshaving very long and it's something I'm putting on hold until I'm more experienced. Like these guys said it's something that'll come with time and practice.

If you don't have pansy-skin like me and can get away with it, go for it (and if so I'm jealous!).

Short Round
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Well I'm a newb with a DE razor but I've been shaving ATG on my throat for years, and sometimes do it on my cheeks and sideburn area. For that perfect BBS Sunday shave.

It's never really bothered me.

With the DE, I don't do it on pass 1, I do it on the last pass, whether it be a 2 shave day or 3 shave.

O.G.
09-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Because of the angle the hair is cut and upon regrowth it is possible for the hair to curl back under your skin and burn, baby burn or that sudo word?

adrian81
03-21-2014, 10:45 PM
I could just shave WTG, and it would be an acceptable shave, but I would have to shave again the next today (I shave every day before work, every second when I am not), but I would not feel clean-shaven. I never cut myself WTG, and only weepers ATG sometimes.

lucabrassi
03-21-2014, 11:55 PM
i do it on every shave....but it was a learning experience at first, not on technique but on what shave equipment really worked on my face and how long i could get a blade to last.

cb91710
03-22-2014, 12:04 AM

+1

I do a full 3 passes plus buffing with the straight on my face, though I tend to go ATG only when I use the straight on my head.

Shaving with carts, ATG and only ATG.

speedwell
03-22-2014, 12:52 AM
If you think your face can't take ATG, try shaving with cold water. Although it's not the nicest thing to wake up to, it really helps keeping the skin calm. I used to have some ATG sensitivity but not anymore. If I get a late enough shave in the day before and wake up early, I can do a one pass ATG and be good to go.

Ender78
03-22-2014, 12:54 AM
The ATG is my second pass. However when I shaved with a cart I never went ATG and then when I started Wet Shaving, I did not do ATG at first until I had my prep and technique down. I especially made sure I was in the habit of not applying any pressure before starting ATG.

Joe Geo
03-22-2014, 01:29 AM
I only go ATG when my beard is long enough...I need at least 2 days for my face to heal before I go ATG again.

mswofford
03-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Nice but not necessary for a good appearance. It's fun to be able to do it, though.

Lakebound
03-22-2014, 06:35 AM

It's not a "no-no". That kind of advice especially to new shavers is the lazy way out IMO. Instead, I offer this advice: Map your beard growth on your face, especially your neck. Learn to stretch the skin on your face during the shave by using alum on the fingertips of your off-hand.

If you stretch your skin and use less pressure and not more while paying attention to proper blade angle, you will come away with a close, irritation free shave.

Good luck,

Frank

global_dev
03-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Because of the angle the hair is cut and upon regrowth it is possible for the hair to curl back under your skin and burn, baby burn or that sudo word?

Sudo like root/super user do?
Sudoku?
Or
Pseudofolliculitis barbae?

Badmedicine
03-22-2014, 07:10 AM
I never go ATG, but then again I could care less about BBS. DFS is fine for me, and even on the rare occasions I have tried a 3-pass shave with ATG, I still looks like I have stubble. Not worth it, IMHO. The fact that I am tremendously prone to ingrowns has a lot of bearing in the matter. If you can do it, more power to you. YMMV, in all things.

Clanmac
03-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Its all in the beard, if I had Desperate Dan's growth , I would never consider it but as I don't every Saturday I go BBS...

Motonut
03-22-2014, 08:20 AM
I never go ATG, but then again I could care less about BBS. DFS is fine for me, and even on the rare occasions I have tried a 3-pass shave with ATG, I still looks like I have stubble. Not worth it, IMHO. The fact that I am tremendously prone to ingrowns has a lot of bearing in the matter. If you can do it, more power to you. YMMV, in all things.

+1

Limekiln
03-22-2014, 08:37 AM
It also depends on the shaver/blade and the facial shave region. I usually go ATG all over with the mild Merkur 23c, regardless of blade.
But with the aggressive R41, again regardless of blade, I don't go ATG above the lip or side of lip - too much pulling and actually this razor gets everything above the lip with ATG/XTG. But elsewhere, including on the neck, ATG with R41 works fine and cleans everything up perfectly.

captaincaveman
03-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Since this thread has been bumped back from a 4 1/2 year death...

I suspect that it is often (always?) the closer shave itself that contributes to ingrowns, more than the technique used to arrive at such a result.