What's new

Zenith B03-A26 or SOC

I have one boar brush that is almost perfect (for me). It is the Zenith B07-EUROAL, which has a bleached 24 X 57 knot. The one area I find it lacking is backbone. To remedy that I previously posted whether I should try a Zenith Short and Scrubby or an SOC. The verdict was mixed and I tried the Short and Scrubby. It wasn't a bad choice, but it's just too small for my tastes. So that has been sold and I'm looking for opinions again. The Zenith BO3-A26 appears to be very much like the B07, very similar if not identical aluminum handle with a 57 mm loft. The difference is that the knot is 26 mm instead of 24. Does that translate into substantially more backbone? Has anyone tried both?

And how would the SOC compare? It is also a 24 mm knot, but it is a shorter loft at 55 mm. Has anyone used both an SOC and a Zenith B03-A26?

If you like the B07 but want more backbone, go for the Big Scrubby. It's 28 x 50 or so. Mine actually measures 28 x 55. Nice big scrubby brush, good backbone, no skritch. Fast break in.

SOC is a different brush altogether. it's not at all scrubby and takes some time to break in, but it's worth the effort. It's a very luxurious brush once broken in. IMHO, it's not a case of either/or. They are completely different brushes, each with their own attributes. Just be aware that until the SOC is broken in, its like any other new boar.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sorry, I don't own a Zenith. But I'm on my third SOC and it is my favorite brush. It is a little scrubby for the first week or two, but once it breaks in it is as far from scrubby as you can get. It is very close to a silvertip badger in feel for me. I alternate it with a Kent BK8 and the Kent is softer, but not by a huge amount.

If you want scrubby you probably don't want an SOC. You might like the SOC badger - smaller, more backbore, firmer tips.

Sorry, I don't own a Zenith. But I'm on my third SOC and it is my favorite brush. It is a little scrubby for the first week or two, but once it breaks in it is as far from scrubby as you can get. It is very close to a silvertip badger in feel for me. I alternate it with a Kent BK8 and the Kent is softer, but not by a huge amount.

If you want scrubby you probably don't want an SOC. You might like the SOC badger - smaller, more backbore, firmer tips.
Thanks, I ordered the SOC. I think I need to try it. I own an SOC Mistura, which is a boar/badger mixed brush. That one is soft but with lots of backbone and minimal splay.

The classic B&B answer is to, “Buy both!” :a29:
I’ll probably eventually buy both, but I decided to order the SOC now. That should keep me busy for a while until it’s broken in. Then I’ll most likely want to buy a scrubber brush, and can decide what it should be.

I’ll probably eventually buy both, but I decided to order the SOC now. That should keep me busy for a while until it’s broken in. Then I’ll most likely want to buy a scrubber brush, and can decide what it should be.

Great move! The SOC is an excellent brush IMO!

Top Bottom