What's new

Which Fatboy - Year, etc.?

I’ve leaning toward snagging a Fatboy for my Black Friday splurge but is there any difference in Gillette Fatboy razors through the years that I should consider when determining which year or manufacture code to pursue? Are they all the same?

Note, I’m not looking for gold plating or a special/executive edition.

I do like the idea of a 1959 Fatboy since I’m fond of that decade but is that early version somehow inferior to Fatboys produced in later years?

Thanks!

The only other notable difference is the black collar under the adjustment knob. Some have a slight nickel band above the black collar and others are pure black.

Either one can be repainted but the pure black version is easier.

If you plan on pulling it apart yourself, other than unscrewing one over a crimp, or a neatly timed BASH with a 6mm or 7/32 socket and a bash-it-all to pop the crimp, I see fruit all difference in any common model.
If you plan on a pro reco job, you don't need worry, the pro will bash it!

If you buy a nice one as a treat, no need for anyone to bash it :D

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

There are differences over the years it was produced, but they don't affect the shave. Screwed on bottom retainer is better, but only if it needs to come apart.

All of mine work pretty well, had one with a stuck adjuster plate I had to free up, but it now works great. Just shaved with it a few minutes ago.

The models up to F2 are generally considered preferable as they are easier to work on since the retainer cap at the end of the handle has service notches for removal rather than being crimped.
Ive got a F3 and F4 with threaded T bars and threaded retainer caps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 12
If you plan on pulling it apart yourself, other than unscrewing one over a crimp, or a neatly timed BASH with a 6mm or 7/32 socket and a bash-it-all to pop the crimp, I see fruit all difference in any common model.
If you plan on a pro reco job, you don't need worry, the pro will bash it!

If you buy a nice one as a treat, no need for anyone to bash it :D

View attachment 1753184
View attachment 1753185
Or get one of these put a hallow brass tube in there and gently pull the lever and pow easily pops it down the t bar enough to set it free!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 18
Or get one of these put a hallow brass tube in there and gently pull the lever and pow easily pops it down the t bar enough to set it free!
Yep, 9 ways to skin a cat, 8 work, one does not. :D
I don't have a full stocked machine shop any more, so to 'get' anything like an arbour press just to pop flatboy caps is, yeah, no.
A vice will act as a press too, had six of them, all gone, I have only one now, with two inch throat ..... useless but a third hand when needed.

There is one thing that needs mentioning :- No matter ''how'' you press, pop, shift it up the shaft, it stays there for a second, then the spring ejects it back into the correct position, then it stays there for a Nano second, then launches off into the abyss of the Mariana Trench in your workshop.! :crying:

Yep, 9 ways to skin a cat, 8 work, one does not. :D
I don't have a full stocked machine shop any more, so to 'get' anything like an arbour press just to pop flatboy caps is, yeah, no.
A vice will act as a press too, had six of them, all gone, I have only one now, with two inch throat ..... useless but a third hand when needed.

There is one thing that needs mentioning :- No matter ''how'' you press, pop, shift it up the shaft, it stays there for a second, then the spring ejects it back into the correct position, then it stays there for a Nano second, then launches off into the abyss of the Mariana Trench in your workshop.! :crying:
I put a plastic bag over the razor before i pop it cause ive lost 2 slim crimp caps and a spring! luckily they were absolutely trashed cheap and used to test the press

Top Bottom