What's new

When Celluloid Goes Bad.

I've heard stories of problems with "celluloid rot" before, a condition where the celluloid deteriorates over time and actually develops into a brittle, crystallized structure, but have never experienced it.

That is until now. I recently purchased this inexpensive, no-name pen from an eBay seller, just because I liked the look and I'm a cheap vintage pen junkie. To be honest, the seller did describe the barrel as having "crackling and bulges," so I willingly took my chances.

Here's a photo from the seller's auction ad:

proxy.php

I received it intact. It looked OK, but the barrel definitely had an unusual appearance that I've never seen before on a vintage pen. While cleaning it, I accidentally dropped it in the sink...only a few inches and nothing that would affect most pens.

Here's the result:

proxy.php

The photo doesn't show it well, but the celluloid has a sugar-like texture...very brittle and fragile. You can actually just crumble it in your hand. The interesting part is that the cap is in near-perfect condition, with no sign of deterioration or damage. At least I was able to salvage a nice nib and feed, the new sac, the filler lever, and button.

As near as I can determine, this condition is caused by long term storage in a poorly ventilated area, where gases given off by the celluloid can accumulate and eventually destroy the material. If I take anything away from this experience, it's to not store celluloid pens in a tightly sealed container (e.g., a plastic bag) for extended periods. A normal pen box or case shouldn't be a problem, but it's something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Is it a gold nib? Can't believe cell rot wouldn't have eaten away at a steel nib as well... it destroys straight razor blades when scales get it

Is it a gold nib? Can't believe cell rot wouldn't have eaten away at a steel nib as well... it destroys straight razor blades when scales get it
Not sure if it's gold or not. It's gold colored, so I assume it's at least gold plated. It's not magnetic. The nib is just marked "Iridium Tip", "Flexible" and "USA". It's very clean and looks unaffected by the rot. It's possible that this isn't the original nib. Also, as you can see in the first photo, the cap and its metal furniture (clip and bands) seem unaffected. I'm wondering if it may have been stored separately?

Last edited:
Sorry Larry, that was a nice looking pen.

It's a disappointment, but it wasn't a lot of money. My success rate with some of my cheap eBay purchases is actually quite good. Most need nothing more than a cleaning and maybe a new sac.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If sttoring in a poorly ventilated area can cause this, it makes sense why the cap is okay- they are generally sticking out of the pocket.

I have also heard that it is contagiuos (sp?) to other celluloid products stored along with it.
Don't know if true, or not.

Last edited:
Off-gassing of the rubber sacs causes discoloration and deterioration all the time in old celluloid and plastic pens. That's why the cap is still in good shape: no contact with the sac.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Off-gassing of the rubber sacs causes discoloration and deterioration all the time in old celluloid and plastic pens. That's why the cap is still in good shape: no contact with the sac.
I have heard that before, but forgot. Thanks for toggling my memory.

Top Bottom