What's new

What strop to buy

I think it was Tony who once wrote somewhere something along the lines of: most people want a strop they buy to have a leather side, but many don't (or very rarely) use it.

Really? Then why do they all come with that side?

There are countless speculations, but my knee jerk is tradition more than anything else. In the 1800's they didn't have much technology, and they certainly didn't have as many easy/quick ways of keeping their razors sharp. From what I read - many used a chalk like substance on the linen to slightly polish the edge each time before use.

I've tried using the exact same strop for several weeks with, and without the linen (using the same razor) and noticed ZERO negative effects and the edge lasted about the exact same timeframe.

Note - not all strops come with a linen side. In fact, THE most expensive stop I know of, considered the tip top of the line, is made by Tony Miller, and has Black Latigo on one side, Horsehide on the other.

Many preach the efficacy of the linen side of the strop, however I think a good portion of that is due to the fact that (until Tony's offering) most strops that did not have a linen side were pretty cheap, and of pretty low quality. I suggest those who feel the linen is important, to try their same strop without using the linen porton, and merely strop on the leather an extra 10-15 times, and do so for a week and see if there is a difference.

For some their may be (although it could be a mental/placebo kind of thing) but i've tried my damndest to see if I could MAKE it make a difference, and so far, to no avail.

In fact, THE most expensive stop I know of, considered the tip top of the line, is made by Tony Miller, and has Black Latigo on one side, Horsehide on the other.

you haven't seen HandAmericans newest old dog strop...$115 for the cheap model with no handle. It also uses double leather and no linen

I've tried using the exact same strop for several weeks with, and without the linen (using the same razor) and noticed ZERO negative effects and the edge lasted about the exact same timeframe.

Very interesting! Now I can toss that *** and get a new one from Tony this weekend. Consider it done.

Here is a little question though - why doesn't anyone use a belt or something similar? Is there something different about strop leather? (Not that I am gonna do this, I don't have any spare belts sitting around).

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I think it was Tony who once wrote somewhere something along the lines of: most people want a strop they buy to have a leather side, but many don't (or very rarely) use it.

bjrn,

I think that was most people want their strop to have a LINEN side but few use it, or know what it does <g> (They all want a leather side........except Vegans of course)

Tony

I couldn't agree more on Tony's strops. I got his middle of the road Heirloom in Red Latigo for around $45 and couldn't be happier. That is until I get his Artisan or Paragon!

bjrn,

I think that was most people want their strop to have a LINEN side but few use it, or know what it does <g> (They all want a leather side........except Vegans of course)

Tony
You're absolutely right, I mistyped. I meant to write "most people want the strop they buy to have a linen side, but many don't (or very rarely) use it."

Thanks for the correction :)

I was reading an old barbers manual recently when it mentioned that, and I'm paraphrasing not actually quoting, "use the linen when the razors edge becomes too smooth"

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that idea.

Just recieved my new red latigo travel strop from Tony today - I'm excited! Wow, what a difference between this and the cheapo one I had before. This is a real piece of craftsmanship - thanks Tony!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Just purchased the starter/travel strop from Tony. This is my first strop to go with my first straight (Dovo Special). I enjoyed speaking with Tony today as well. Very informative and a true gent. I hope to receive the strop before I leave for FLA for the holidays (which Tony said should not be a problem. :biggrin:) While in FLA, I will try my first straight razor shave so I can relax, take my time and work on my technique. Now to think of what my travel set-up will be. :wink:

Top Bottom