What's new

What is your favorite.BALL POINT?

Okay, since migrating to fountain pens some years ago, I have really grown to loathe the ball point or roller ball pen. Fountain pens, even the disposable ones, are simply more refined and have more panache. HOWEVER, on those occasions where the form says to PRESS HARD, a ball tipped pen is somewhat of a necessity.

I own only 1. It is a machined aluminum pen marked with FuturePost (Australian) on the clip and it uses a reasonably smooth Schneider refill. I have seen similar pens on-line but never an exact match. It is reasonably heavy and great for writing checks, it leaves a great impression on the carbon copy.

What is your go-to ball point or roller ball and what do you use it for?

I tend to like a classic Mont Blanc shape (doesn't have to be a Mont Blanc...I have a cheapo MB style pen from my alma mater that I love), with a medium or broad, black, ballpoint Mont Blanc refill. I do like the Mont Blanc refills, but I'm open to alternatives.

Last edited:
Whenever I am required to press hard to make duplicate copies I expect the person wanting those copies to provide a ballpoint pen.

I don't and wont carry one. I do not like them.

I will use a pencil and accept the top (pencil) copy as a receipt.

For a roller ball, I like the Pilot Dr. Grip with a gel refill. For a ballpoint, I hold my nose and use whatever throwaway piece of junk that's laying around.

I carry a bullet style Fisher Space Pen as a backup. Not so much for carbon forms as for writing against vertical surfaces, on bad paper or other unpromising materials, outside in bad weather, that sort of thing. It's also useful to have a ballpoint in case you want to lend a pen to somebody (try asking someone to sign something for you while refusing to lend them anything to do it with).

I rather like classic Parker Jotters, my selection includes some vintage ones. They will take a wide variety of refills, including the pressurized Fisher ones, and some gel refills that essentially turn them into rollerballs. And Pilot G-2 rollerballs are really excellent pens, especially considering the price. I just don't use my ballpoints and rollerballs that much, though. Fountain pens have more flair, and feel better for long writing sessions.

Pilot G2 Limited or the Pilot MR/Metropolitan for a rollerball, though I'd definitely be interested if I can pick up a Pelikan R400 as a set one of these days.

For a ballpoint, I have a Parker Jotter that uses the Schmidt refills and a Pilot MR/Metropolitan if I need it.

I use a Fisher Space Pen too, when a FP is impracticable, such as operating in unusual conditions (not space, but rain and high humidity, or at odd angles or on crappy paper).

Bullet Fisher Space pen. I also like them because they are made just down the road in Boulder City Nevada-supporting the local economy. The company I work for now makes some parts for their pens, and the old owner worked for them at one time. They last forever, and they have one now guaranteed not to run out of ink in your lifetime-80 year supply.

I have a Krone Cosmos Pluto rollerball (fantastic, unique pen) and a Zebra F-301 stainless ballpoint that I use for field work (don't mind loaning it to others or worry about losing it). Those are the only non-fountain pens I own.

-Andy

None actually. If I do need a ballpoint, there's always someone who has a spare.

We had to use a fountain pen in primary school. I switched to a Paper-Mate ballpoint in the first years of secondary school, but went back to fountain pens after that. Ballpoint pens are just not for me.

I do like mechanical pencils though.

I've been using this no name stainless steel twist action BP that I found at Tuesday Morning for $2.00. popped of the tennis racket from the clip and added the blue Schneider refill.

$IMG_4125.jpg$IMG_4131.jpg $IMG_4139.jpg

I use a Visconti Rembrandt eco-rollerball when I can't use a fountain pen. I know it isn't a ball point but with the exception of needing to sign a bill in a cab or at a hotel I can't recall having to use a bp pen. I normally have at least one fountain pen and the Rembrandt with me. For some reason I am less picky about pencils... I can use everything from a lumber pencil to a nice mechanical depending on what I am doing. Although lately in the shop I have been using my lumber pencil less and a marking knife more.

Ruckin.

If I need a BP at work, I use a Montblanc 164 that matches the 144 FP. Sometimes, I use a Cross Century that belonged to my father. Though I don't take that pen out too much because of sentimental value.

For everyday, either a Rotring 600 or RapidPro, or a Lamy 2000. I love the feel of the 2000 in my hand but it only takes Lamy refills. My favorite refill is the Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 which is Parker style. Almost as smooth as a FP.

If I need a BP at work, I use a Montblanc 164...
What refill do you use in the MB 164?

For you Fisher Space Pen aficionados, does Fisher make a retraceable pen with a barrel similar in size to a Montblanc 164? I tend to lose caps, so I prefer a retractable.

Last edited:
What refill do you use in the MB 164?

I use the MB refill. I haven't tried any of the others. The thing lasts forever and with the infrequency that I use a BP, I believe the refill has been in there - wow - probably 10 years as I think about it.

Almost any Parker Flighter, but the top of the heap is the 45 Flighter.
I have (or had) all of the following: Classic, Insignia, Jotter, Latitude and 45. All in Flighter stainless steel form factor.

Top Bottom