What's new

What is the max you would pay for a 1954 Gillette Flare Tip SuperSpeed razor?

This is my dad's birth year and there is one of eBay for $50 with original case.

Is that too much? I'm still a noob to eBay purchasing as I've just been buying new. Thank you!

Check sold prices on eBay (using the filter) and searching the BST here.

That will give you an idea of what the going rates are.

Add Sentimental Value into your limit, not historical selling prices.

I wouldn't pay that much.

Last edited:
That is a high price in my vintage store experience, unless the razor and case are both pristine. I don't peruse ebay much, so my opinion counts for little there.

You are aware that most Gillette 'birthers' try to get the right quarter (1 thru 4) as well as the right year? With $50 to spend you should be able to get the right 'Z' Superspeed.

This is my dad's birth year and there is one of eBay for $50 with original case.

Is that too much? I'm still a noob to eBay purchasing as I've just been buying new. Thank you!
Flare tips aren't too expensive but if it has sentimental value, it's up to you what you want to spend. I did the same with a Slim and overpaid but don't care. The slim I bought was the right quarter/year that I wanted and it was in mint condition. So for me it was worth it!
If it's the correct one (quarter & year) that you're looking for (or that I'd be looking for) and in mint condition, I'd pay the $50!

1954 flare tips are common. I dig through grungy razor listings though. I’ve picked up near NOS flare tips for less than $20 that were just covered in grime.

The case without cracks/crazing is a completely different story though. This case almost never survived the test of time. One of the least durable Gillette made.

If it’s mint, with blades and instructions even rarer. Sealed blades even more so.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
One million dollars...
IMG_0920.jpeg

I have acquired two flair tips and both were pretty rough looking; albeit the TTO mechanism was perfectly fine. It's pretty amazing how well they clean up! They look almost new.

I guess the takeaway is, don't be offput if it looks rough but is mechanically sound.

Top Bottom