What's new

What did I just win?

So I was browsing soon to end auctions on eBay and placed a lowball bid on this:

$$_57.jpg which I ended up winning for $0.99 + $5.00 shipping. (Original auction here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GILLETTE-Safety-Razor-Opens-Closes-GREAT-/171924008321)

So, turning to the experts, I'm wondering what exactly I've won. Also, any advice on how to clean it up?

Thanks...
JR

1920s ball end Old Type.

Clean it up and enjoy, it's a fine shaver.

Hot water, dish soap and an old toothbrush will do the trick.

Yes, there's definitely a crack visible in the picture, but from what I've read here, I figured that was par for the course.

True, and it won't affect the shave. There are some threads about how to repair such a crack so that it barely shows. If you're handy, you should be able to get it sorted out fairly easily.

Yes, there's definitely a crack visible in the picture, but from what I've read here, I figured that was par for the course.

I hear you man my sight sucks. This is the common issue with those particular razors. If you shave with it and like the way the open comb performs just swap the cracked handle with a tech handle.

Last edited:
I was just surprised to win it at all. I didn't pad the bid by much and figured someone would snipe me in the last minute. Can't wait for it to get here.

True, and it won't affect the shave. There are some threads about how to repair such a crack so that it barely shows. If you're handy, you should be able to get it sorted out fairly easily.

I hear you man my sight sucks. This is the common issue with those particular razors. If you shave with it and like the way the open comb performs just swap the cracked handle with a tech handle.

Here is some Wiki help
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Image:Old_type_cracked_handle_2_jpg
View attachment 600912

Well, it's here! Currently, it's taking a nice warm bath, so pics will have to come later/tomorrow.

One question, I don't see a serial number on the baseplate. Is that normal?

Thanks...

A couple of photos following the first round of cleaning:
$IMG_0104.JPG
$IMG_0105.JPG
Still struggling with some of the green patina on the handle. It looks like I need to go get some Maas.

Nevertheless, I figured it was clean enough to try shaving with it this morning... Wow! This has to be one of the closest shaves I've ever had. Definitely closer than with my SuperSpeed. I'm not sure I'd say its more aggressive, but more efficient. I could really see it being dangerous with the wrong blade. :)

Still... I think I may have found a new daily driver.

JR

Use WD-40?

If I were you I'd take it to a stove cleaning/repair place. They have materials to clean off cast iron and rust proof it, which will work wonders on this. Get it plated at a jeweller later, if you so wish.

Top Bottom