What's new

Waterman Pens

I got a nice waterman pen in a partial trade on a nice custom knife. It was a great pen for about a week until I dropped it:(

I have since found out that even though the nib can be removed by hand with no special tools, waterman does not sell nibs.
I went to the stationary and art store in town and they told me I was SOL.

:confused::confused:
I'm a bit ticked that a 70$ pen with reusable everything else would have tips that are not replaceable, the closest I've found is that I could spend about 40$ and get a whole new nib assembly including grip, which I don't particularly need.

Is there any other companies nibs that will fit?
Or any alternatives to forking out 40$ or chucking the pen in the bin?

Take a look on the 'bay for a seller name of Lewertowski; he probably has the nib and section for cheaper than you can get from Sanford/Parker/Waterman. My transactions with him have been easy and pleasant. PM me if you have problems locating his Ebay store.

Sorry to hear about your pen. Although Mr Binder does fantastic work, I don't think your return on investment in parts, labor and 6 months time are worth it to get this pen fixed.

Now that Waterman is owned by Sanford, the Customer service/warrenty service is terrible.

Check out Ryan Rossinick's blogs for some very good pen suggestions.
Here is a list of great pens all around 100 dollars
http://roossinck.wordpress.com/2008/08/20/all-about-the-benjamins100-ish/
and here is another list of pens around 30 dollars
http://roossinck.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/great-budget-writers30/

If you see something you like check with these vendors, they have some of the best prices around.
Todd at isellpens.com
and Pam Braun at Oscarbraunpens.com (my favorite pen vendor)

Or, you could always post on FPN to see if someone has a nib they'd let go cheap.

There's a lot of good people out there, you just have to ask. I got a Pelikan for a friend, but the cap was shot. I posted at FPN and soon enough, someone offered one up for a couple bucks. Good people.

What model of Waterman pen is it?

I belive it is called the hemisphere.
It's a beautiful blue colour, with the cases, and it takes cartridges as well as ink with a very nice system that you twist to suck ink up then load as though it was a cartridge.

If I can't get it fixed I'll buy another antique one like I got for my dad, it's silver, beatifully made, cost about 30$ more, and is truly an incredible pen. Oh yeah and I can get nibs for it.
:mad3::mad3::mad3:

I'm starting to learn that new anything doesn't seem to be a good idea.

However I won't send it in for restoration, it's not worth that.
but what the hell is the point of having replaceable tips if there are no tips to replace them with?
:mad:

I don't even need a waterman nib, just a nib that would fit the waterman hemisphere.

Well, Lewertowski does have Hemisphere nib sections available in his ebay store, roughly $20 USD plus shipping. Worth it if you like the looks of the pen as well as its feel.

And it is not a matter of it being new that the nibs aren't available ... the Watermans are just like that. Better Parker FPs take replacement nibs, and Rubbermaid owns them as well (Sanford/Parker/Waterman ... all Rubbermaid, when Gillette sold them off). Pelikans also do replacement nibs; Richard Binder even stocks and sells tuned Pelikan nibs in steel and gold, including some of his custom grinds.

But I have purchased a replacement section for my Laureat, as it was cheaper than repair and tuning. However, my Liaison is off to Richard, as $160 for a nib section a lot more than the repair and tune.

Top Bottom