What's new

Was this a good deal?

I just won this on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330230499910&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014

Am I correct in believing this is a ball-end NEW? Because that is what I was hoping it would be.

Was $10.50 a good deal for this? According to the seller, the only imperfections are scratches/nick at the bottom of the handle.

SAD has started to kick in with me, and for some reason these open combs are what I am craving. I guess next I'll have to start looking for a Sheraton.

That is a great score. The razor is a New as you'd hoped. And yes it's a large ball end. The case is also nice and clean too.
I think that is a very nice deal. Great job!!!

That is a great score. The razor is a New as you'd hoped. And yes it's a large ball end. The case is also nice and clean too.
I think that is a very nice deal. Great job!!!

Excellent! I had just lost a bid on a NEW that sold for $34.00. I have a NEW already coming to me from a member here, but the one I was bidding on was a bit nicer. So I was stoked when I saw this with a buy it now for $10.50.

Like my dad sometimes said, "some days we win when we lose"....Good stuff.
I really enjoy the shave I get with my New.

Yeah - that's a great deal. Not sure how much you would get for that here on our board - I have never sold one of these before - but I would imagine $30 at least.

I don't think that the handle originally went with the head. The head appears to be a New. They came out in 1929 or 30. Somebody has also disassembled the handle. The patent date should be at the ball end. Not original but it will shave great.

I don't think that the handle originally went with the head. The head appears to be a New. They came out in 1929 or 30. Somebody has also disassembled the handle. The patent date should be at the ball end. Not original but it will shave great.

I'm curious why you don't think the head and handle match. Is this not a ball-end NEW? I found a description for it in the wiki. It has a NEW head with a ball-end. I found several of these on eBay, including one that was still in the original cardboard box with the instructions that clearly showed a picture of a ball-end NEW. If there is something I'm missing here, though, please help me out.

By the way, does anybody know if these carry date codes that I will be able to find to identify the year this was made when I receive it?

I'm curious why you don't think the head and handle match. Is this not a ball-end NEW? I found a description for it in the wiki. It has a NEW head with a ball-end. I found several of these on eBay, including one that was still in the original cardboard box with the instructions that clearly showed a picture of a ball-end NEW. If there is something I'm missing here, though, please help me out.

By the way, does anybody know if these carry date codes that I will be able to find to identify the year this was made when I receive it?

I am also curious. It looks like a match also. The patent/date should be at the bottom though, easy enough to fix. There are no date codes on these. But you are sure to enjoy great shaves from it.

The patent date precedes the razor design. If you look at the ball end New in the Wiki, the box says patent pending. To my way of thinking, it is the same as the ball end New but the handle shouldn't have the patent info on it.

The patent date precedes the razor design. If you look at the ball end New in the Wiki, the box says patent pending. To my way of thinking, it is the same as the ball end New but the handle shouldn't have the patent info on it.

Okay, I did some research, and I think that this is a legitimate New with the original handle. On another website, I found a description for a pocket edition New that Gillette came out with where they used the New head but the older ball-end handle (I'm guessing that they had surplus handles and just decided to incorporate them with the New head - they wanted to get the News out there quickly because they only worked with their New thinner blades, and could corner the market for a while on blade sales). So even though the patent date may be 1920, the razor was made in the 30s. Again, I'll have to wait until I have it in my hands, but that seems to be the case. The patent dates on the underside of the head will be different from that of the handle, because the head was the only thing they were changing to accommodate the New blades.

Top Bottom