What's new

W&B MOP repair.

I really like this razor. Sadly the facing scale was cracked at the wedge end. I ended up buying 3 separate slabs of MOP trying to find one with enough color to match my scales.
3rd time is the charm as they say.
Yes. I overthink things. It’s what I do. Any slab would have worked as nobody would know the difference but I would.
Cut out a rough profile. Man this stuff stinks!
Then thinned the slab. Drilled holes and bolted it to the liner. Then finished the profile and radiused edges.
Made a new single pin and 2 nickel pins for the wedge and hinge. Polished up the blade and put it all back together.
BTW. A recent discussion on internal washers.
In the pic the upper 2 on the left are from microfasteners.
The bottom two are from this W&B. The upper right is one I made.
Sure. Pound out that little washer in the upper left into the size I made in the upper right. Yup , It’ll happen. Anyone believe it?
Here too. I overthink things. It’s never just a washer. To me anyhow.
IMG_2884.jpeg
IMG_2886.jpeg
IMG_2885.jpeg
IMG_2887.jpeg
IMG_2890.jpeg
IMG_2889.jpeg
IMG_2888.jpeg
IMG_2892.jpeg
IMG_2891.jpeg

Last edited:
The finished piece.
The stuff is deceiving. The first pic the tip looks bland,,,, until you turn it a bit and it catches fire!

I like the look of washer -less pinning.

What a joy to use. What I’d consider a clean pretty razor.
Works for me. Glad she’s restored.
IMG_2893.jpeg
IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2895.jpeg
IMG_2894.jpeg

Last edited:
The finished piece.
The stuff is deceiving. The first pic the tip looks bland,,,, until you turn it a bit and it catches fire!

I like the look of washer -less pinning.

What a joy to use. What I’d consider a clean pretty razor.
Works for me. Glad she’s restored.
View attachment 1666764View attachment 1666765View attachment 1666766View attachment 1666767

Lovely fix, as ever!

I've never once worked with MOP, is it a bit tricky in comparison to other traditional scale materials? Strikes me like it'd be quite flaky-brittle when it comes to cutting and drilling...?

Traditional materials like horn wood or synthetics are pretty easy to work.

You may not have experience with MOP specifically but you may be familiar with a common clam shell or conch shell.

Just imagine carving , thinning and shaping that because that’s what this is. A nearly stone like shell.
Not flaky at all. No flex regardless how thin.
The scale very slightly flexes at the joint because neither of the sections will.

Top Bottom