What's new

Versus Shaves - 2 Razors, 1 face!

Because I like to do things the hard way, when I started DE shaving I immediately watched 1,000 YouTube videos and purchased 6 different DE Razors. Since then, I can't help but compare the various razors I own to see which gives me the best shaves. At one point, I was a bit out of control, shaving with 4 different razors each shave. :lol1::facep:Thankfully, I have stopped shaving with 4 razors. I am down to 2 each shave! :lol1::lol1:

Once in a while I will actually shave with only 1 razor, and this is when I seem to get the best, irritation free shaves. Although I enjoy experimenting with different razors by doing the YouTube style "versus" shaves--A different razor for each side of the face--I feel like these end up being not very good shaves for me. Anyone else experience this? How are these YouTubers able to get such nice shaves using two different razors each shave?

Last edited:
Because I like to do things the hard way, when I started DE shaving I immediately watched 1,000 YouTube videos and purchased 6 different DE Razors. Since then, I can't help but compare the various razors I own to see which gives me the best shaves. At one point, I was a bit out of control, shaving with 4 different razors each shave. :lol1::facep:Thankfully, I have stopped shaving with 4 razors. I am down to 2 each shave! :lol1::lol1:

Once in a while I will actually shave with only 1 razor, and this is when I seem to get the best, irritation free shaves. Although I enjoy experimenting with different razors by doing the YouTube style "versus" shaves--A different razor for each side of the face--I feel like these end up being not very good shaves for me. Anyone else experience this? How are these YouTubers able to get such nice shaves using two different razors each shave?

Think you have problem, it call O.C.D., good new is in time hopefully you will figure out what works, and stick with it.

Think you have problem, it call O.C.D., good new is in time hopefully you will figure out what works, and stick with it.
Its fun and I’ve done much worse! 😂 Only problem is that I get razor burn when I use multiple razors and different blades 😳 in the same shave! 😂

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁

Last edited:
So many variables here!

IME, shaving each side with a different razor involves a number of assumptions:
1. Same blade in each razor with similar number of shaves.
2. Muscle mechanics are the same with each side. (Do you switch hands, use the same stretching, etc?)
3. Your beard is the same on each side of your face. (I have areas where my hair grows in different directions.)

For me, the optimal approach is to use one razor and one blade for each shave. Then I grade each shave.

Minimizing the number of variables makes it easier to draw conclusions. YMMV for sure!! :popc::popc:

So many variables here!

IME, shaving each side with a different razor involves a number of assumptions:
1. Same blade in each razor with similar number of shaves.
2. Muscle mechanics are the same with each side. (Do you switch hands, use the same stretching, etc?)
3. Your beard is the same on each side of your face. (I have areas where my hair grows in different directions.)

For me, the optimal approach is to use one razor and one blade for each shave. Then I grade each shave.

Minimizing the number of variables makes it easier to draw conclusions. YMMV for sure!! :popc::popc:
I use both razors for the shaves, one side each, but I do multiple shaves and switch the sides for subsequent shaves to level the playing field.

For me, the problem with doing a full face shave one say and then the next is that there is too much time between the two shaves. I can't remember well enough from one shave to the next to pick up on subtle differences.

On a somewhat related point, I feel that if you have good technique that adjusts on the fly, the absolute differences between any two competently built DE razors are, in actuality, not too impressive, unless you are comparing two razors that are very distinctly different from one another (ie, something like the Stirling HA versus a post-war Tech).

I feel that if you have good technique that adjusts on the fly, the absolute differences between any two competently built DE razors are, in actuality, not too impressive, unless you are comparing two razors that are very distinctly different from one another (ie, something like the Stirling HA versus a post-war Tech).
Agree with this. I'm learning that the biggest difference for me has been how easy/difficult it is to maintain the optimal angle with any given razor. The Muhle Rocca for example, is much easier to maintain the angle with than with the Feather AS D2. Also, I feel I can detect a good amount of difference in "efficiency" and/or blade feel in first pass. Passes 2/3, the differences tend to converge...

Top Bottom