What's new

Travel to Hudson Florida?

I will be Traveling to Hudson Florida next month and will have some down time. What can you gentlemen suggest for my stay?

Restaurants, Sailboat livery,what have you?

I will have a car,so lets here what you have.

Thanks

Hrm, where shall I send the tourist??:wink:

I don't know much about Hudson, but could list lots of things to do in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. About the only thing that comes to mind is swimming with manatees in crystal river (yes, probably cold in February, but definitely unforgettable)

Well I'm about an hour south of there in St. Pete
Tarpon springs is fairly close, it's a Greek community known for their sponge diving, some good restaurants there as well,

Tampa is probably the closest big city. you can go down to Ybor city section and look around. It gets crazy at night there though, that's where lots of clubs are as well.
Many good places to eat in Tampa.

Well I'm about an hour south of there in St. Pete
Tarpon springs is fairly close, it's a Greek community known for their sponge diving, some good restaurants there as well,

Tampa is probably the closest big city. you can go down to Ybor city section and look around. It gets crazy at night there though, that's where lots of clubs are as well.
Many good places to eat in Tampa.

Thanks- can you recommend any?

Did you say SHAVING NEEDS? :biggrin:

L'Occitane
2223 N West Shore Blvd Ste 278
Tampa, FL 33607
813-353-1022
Editorial Review

Capture the spirit of Provence with this chain's complete line of bath, beauty and relaxation products.

www.yvesrocherusa.com
L'Occitane Editorial Review – by Robyn Fener

The Scene
Step into this homey yet refined spot, and the subtle scents of luscious products immediately soothe the senses. And if you think the whole place feels as if it's been dipped in honey, that's no accident; the honeycomb theme is reflected on the product packaging, the color of the walls and the sweet but unobtrusive staff. Testers and samples make the fragrances, bath and body goodies, candles and sun care products easily accessible to noses and hands.

The Goods
Authentic, high-quality products imported from France are available for individual purchase or in gift-ready packages that are precious and unique. Signature lines--Olive, Verbena, Lavender or Honey--come in a variety of soothing salves and fragrant lotions, including moisturizers, soaps and scents. Men's skin care needs are not overlooked, thanks to L'Occitane's exquisitely packaged cleansers, cologne and all the shaving supplies a guy could need.

chop-chop

I had heard the sponging is pretty much over in Tarpon Springs, but the good restaurants are still there. If I were you, I would absolutely make some time to see the mermaids at Weeki Wachee. This show has been going on for 60 years, and time may be running out. It was a must-see for tourists, but thanks to the Mouse, it is falling by the wayside. It is only 15 miles from Hudson, so make sure you get there while you can. It still has that kitchy, campy feeling about it.
http://mermaid.weekiwachee.com/

It sounds like I work there, but I don't.:redface: I just see what is happening to "Old Florida", and it makes me sad.

I second the mermaid show, I definitely don't think they'll be around for another 10 years.

I would have recommended Pappas, but I believe they have closed.

There was an article in the St Pete times a few weeks back that featured the 100 best restaurants in the Tampa Bay area, and I believe a few greek restaurants were mentioned. I'll dig it up for ya.

Here ya go...

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/12/28/Weekend/A_menu_worth_100_help.shtml

The Pappas market cafes are NOT the same as the original Pappas restaurant.

As for Mykonos, I personally didn't like it, but alot of other people have recommended it, and maybe I just went there on a bad day.

The rest of my favorites on that list are in no particular order:

Bern's for a good steak $$$$
Ted Peters $ to $$ (cash only, closed Tuesdays, probably at least an hour drive from Hudson but worth it for the smoked mullet and draft root beer in a frozen mug)
Maritana Grill $$$
Dunedin Brewery $, with beer $ to $$$$ (some pub food, but definitely excellent beer)
The columbia $$ to $$$ (a few locations, my favorite is the one in Ybor but I'd almost recommend Tio Pepe's before Columbia)
Pipo's $, excellent, I think connected to Papitos in north tampa
TC Choy $ to $$$
Gelateria del Duomo $ - best pistachio dessert ever

$ under 10
$$ 10 to 20
$$$ 20 to 30
$$$$ 30 to 40
These are all per person without drinks.

Not on the list that SHOULD be (also no special order):
Taconazo - Hillsborough and Nebraska in tampa, arguably the best mexican food in tampa, but definitely the most authentic (come on, its cooked in a bus)
E & E Steakout Grill - Bellair, from the steaks to the duck, you can't go wrong, and whatever the special dessert of the day is, GET IT
Big Tims BBQ - in St Pete, best ribs I've ever had
Elis BBQ - small shack in Dunedin that is only open on Friday and Saturday but the sausage with the hot sauce is delicious
Hogan's - Carrollwood (North Tampa), pretty good sandwiches, but was my local watering hole before I moved to Dunedin, (now its the Dunedin Brewery)
The mexican bakery, ice cream shop, and little places that make you feel like you're in Mexico on Drew Street in Clearwater.
Kaisen sushi - carrollwood, most authentic sushi bar in the area, actually run by a japanese chef
Laspadas - Dunedin, cash only, best chicken cheese steak anywhere.
Frenchys - Clearwater Beach, 4 locations, the original is my favorite, but its pretty hard to beat Rockaway with a margarita at sunset, best grouper sandwich anywhere. The white sangria doesn't suck either.

There is also a resurgence going on in downtown St Pete with a whole bunch of incredible little restaurants popping up. Hip with great food, but I couldn't tell you the names of them, I've only been to one but anywhere that has lobster mashed potatoes is ok with me.

There are a few other small dives I eat at, but those are definitely the best I can think of at the moment.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
As a former Tampa, St Pete, AND Clearwater resident, I can second Frenchy's Rockaway with a view that is 2nd to none on the west coast of Fla..Funky casual place with the best She Crab Soup and Grouper Sandwich.
4th Street Shrimp Store near 9th avenue and 4th Street in St Pete is very good as well, fried shrimp basket from fresh local caught shrimp.
Molly Goodheads in Ozona, Fla is south of Hudson in a real Old Florida Funky Setting, betwen Palm Harbor and Dunedin off Alt US 19.
As for Tarpon Springs, Pappas is or was in my opinion a Tourist Trap. Hellas down on Doda-whatever it is Avenue has the real deal Greek Food in a laid back non yuppy atmosphere ( not that there is anything wrong with Yuppies I was one once) Try the Octopus at Hellas, its very good. If I think of any others I'll PM you. If you went to at least 3 out of the 4 I've listed I'm sure you'll enjoy...I'd suggest my favorites in this order:
1. Frenchy's Rockaway ( on rockaway ave clearwater beach)
2 4th Street Shhrimp Store St pete
3 Molly Goodheads Ozona
4 Hellas Tarpon Springs ( only on the list because Greek was mentioned)

Have fun...Hudson is quite different.

Mike

2 more -

Lenny's in clearwater. Tied for best breakfast you'll have.
Skyway Jacks in St Pete. Other best breakfast place.

I agree with Molly Goodheads, good seafood and funky setting.

I thought I was the only one in Pinellas!!! :)
I'm in downtown St.Pete, we do have some good local places here but it is a drive from hudson. I was trying to think of things further north.

My vote would be for Columbia's or Berns if you make it to tampa, Frenchys is rgeat also!!!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Lenny's was a entire family favorite for us when we lived in Clearwater. They actually have menu items named after their surly waitresses who have been there for years! For you Tampa Bay area guys and gals, Monty's pizza at the corner of Nursery Rd and Belcher in Clearwater is FANTASTIc. Go for the Full Monty! For the fellow in downtown St Pete we owned 2 houses in the Old Northeast just steps away from Coffee Pot Bayou. I have fond memories of St Pete but now back on the farm in Indiana!

Mike

I thought I was the only one in Pinellas!!! :)
I'm in downtown St.Pete, we do have some good local places here but it is a drive from hudson. I was trying to think of things further north.

My vote would be for Columbia's or Berns if you make it to tampa, Frenchys is rgeat also!!!

Seth what would you guess, maybe an hour depending on traffic and time of day??

Top Bottom