What's new

TOBS texture differs, why is that?

Dears, a question to those of you who have certain experience with various TOBS shaving cream offerings. There is a difference in the texture and as a result, in the lathering, between the different creams. In particular, as I have tried for the last Cedarwood and now it is Peppermint in rotation – the Peppermint is much softer, in the tub, a little bit more watery, somehow. And produces very fast great lather, rich and creamy. Cedarwood - and Sandalwood before it - are noticeably denser in the tub and the lathering is not like the Peppermint. Why is that? Thank you!

I have not had a tub in awhile but have had several jars over the years.

Like people have said before, the age of the cream and the storage conditions matter. When you buy from a retailer, you generally have no idea how long the cream has been sitting on the shelf. Note that some scents will sell faster than others and stock of those may be fresher.

Anyway, over time the water evaporates and the cream becomes more dense, taking more effort to load the brush and lather up, versus a fresh "wet" tub/jar.

Most creams will behave in a similar fashion. I have jars of cream that are over ten years old and virtually all of them have turned into Italian-style soft shaving soaps. They still work fine, just have to be loaded differently now. The basic "dip and twist" like with a wet cream will not work.

Creams are primarily water. Over time, they dry out. Doesn’t matter the brand either. It’s a crapshoot on when you order if you’re getting a “fresh” one or not.

But I agree, when they’re real wet and easy to scoop and spread on my face, they lather up really fast and make a really nice lather.

I have enjoyed many tubs of TOOBS. Many Peppermint, Many Grapefruit, several Eton College, several Coconut, one Lemon Lime and at least another or two, but I can't remember, and, I don't have the empty tub holding nuts and bolts in the garage like the others :lol:. I have not tried the Cedar Wood or Sandal Wood.

What I Love about TOOBS is that it has Always been the same and consistent for me. I have not had any problems or difficulties. Now, maybe that is because I use them up fairly quickly and I do not have them for too long, I don't know. But, I appreciate this topic and am interested in following it. I know Sandal Wood is Very popular here but I have only had one tub......

Top Bottom