What's new

The Zen of str8 shaving

My whole bathroom routine including straight shave takes about 40 minutes. This includes some non-shaving related stuff, so take off five minutes for that. I am including stropping, lathering, and post shave cleanup. I enjoy the whole experience even though it takes a little while. With that length of time and my schedule, it does mean that I shave with a DE most of the time for speeds sake.

----Michael

I am enclosing some diagrams about the 1st and 2nd pass - I would stick to that. If you do many more passes and still cannot achieve a decent shave, comparable to that of a DE (provided you are using the proper shaving angle) then your razor is probably dull, as correctly stated by other members.

I would add that those diagrams are a good place to start, but that they are not applicable to everyone's face. Good skin stretching and an intimate knowlege of growth paterns is the gateway to a one pass shave.

Good stuff vschwager, thanks much!:thumbup:

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.” – Mark Twain

I've just started in earnest (first full shave on Sunday) and find that a 2-pass shave takes perhaps 10-15 minutes, and some of that time is assembling the gear. I lather in the shower beforehand. But, then again, I accept major imperfections in my results, and I skip the touch-up. I'm brisk about it partly because we have an affectionate cat who jumps on the counter and gives headbutts.

The zen for me is that I see it as I did when I took up golf. Some shots go well, some do not. I stop when I feel like I've learned something and improved, and that keeps me keenly interested in tomorrow's session. Best of all, I've got a smile on my face afterwards, satisfied despite less-than perfect results.

Top Bottom