What's new

The one that got away, or didn't. Fishing!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Caught the first fish of the season Sunday. A Yellow Bullhead catfish. Roughly around a pound, which is average, they don't get much larger than 2-3lbs. Using an Ugly Stick rod and reel, 6ft med. action, not sure what line was on it as it's my brothers *** pole but it did the trick. Hook, live nightcrawler and sinker. Evening sun setting. Medium size pond that is in a subdivision. Typical fish for a subdivision pond.

on a side note.....i absolutely hate catching Bullheads! they always seem to swallow the hook and its tougher than heck to get it out of their fatty mouths. Plus their spines!

Sorry no pics of this one, didn't think it was worth a pic.

Would love to hear other fishing stories and see pics of this years catches!

This past weekend I had some decent sized bass hitting a War Eagle Flipping Jig (I going to say the largest was about 5LB). I go to set the hook and miss, this happens several more times as I wonder what's happening. Then I check my drag, wayyyy to loose (for those of you who don't fish this means there wasn't enough pressure on my end for the hook to go into the fishes mouth).

:censored: :a52:

Jason, have you considered using a circle hook to avoid deep hooking them?

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This past weekend I had some decent sized bass hitting a War Eagle Flipping Jig (I going to say the largest was about 5LB). I go to set the hook and miss, this happens several more times as I wonder what's happening. Then I check my drag, wayyyy to loose (for those of you who don't fish this means there wasn't enough pressure on my end for the hook to go into the fishes mouth).

:censored: :a52:

Jason, have you considered using a circle hook to avoid deep hooking them?

5lb bass is a great size to catch. I reeled one in once and got it right to the bank and it came off the hook and was sitting in the shallow water. my instant reacting was to jump in and scoop it up with my hand and toss it on shore. You aint getting away from me that easy! I admired it for a couple minutes, weighed it and let it go. That day we were fishing with tiny bluegill, catching them then hooking them in their tails and letting them swim around a few feet off the bank of the pond. The big bass were right up there feeding on them, they would take one drag your line way out there and once the line stopped yank it hard, set the hook and yee haw!!

Good tip on the circle hook, didn't even think about using one. Those darn bullheads are the only fish that always seem to swallow the hook on me.

Top Bottom