What's new

the old ways .

now for nearly 4 years i have been shaving like my grandad and i must say i love it the fact that my skin has never felt better and the fact that the last time i spent more than a fiver on a single razor blade more than that 3 years ago unlike the new breed of over priced over hyped multi bladed super shavers yes my razor might look old but it still gives me a great shave and i love the relaxing joy of building a lather and a 2-3 pass shave.
can i get a hell yes for followers of the old ways .

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Before straights it involved sharpened clam shells and flint, but no one seems to ever recommend going back to those “old ways”.
Amen.

Michigan is just beginning to use those "roundabout" things in new road plans. We've had them for years, but our road kommissions are notorious for payola; like much of bureaucracy here.

I'm always amazed at the roads almost in the middle of nowhere in Indiana. Roundabouts at all kinds of places in the middle of nowhere. No idea how you do it, but just maybe your public servants aren't acting like masters!

All that to say that if Gillette had stopped innovating with the Sensor you would never have met FarmerTan!

Amen.

Michigan is just beginning to use those "roundabout" things in new road plans. We've had them for years, but our road kommissions are notorious for payola; like much of bureaucracy here.

I'm always amazed at the roads almost in the middle of nowhere in Indiana. Roundabouts at all kinds of places in the middle of nowhere. No idea how you do it, but just maybe your public servants aren't acting like masters!

All that to say that if Gillette had stopped innovating with the Sensor you would never have met FarmerTan!

...digressing round about on roundabouts. The genius elected leaders decided the number one road priority in the county is a roundabout. But there is more. On a major byway in front of a high school. Rocket science I tell you. Let's take the largest concentration of inexperienced drivers in the county full of uncontrolled hormones and unleash them on the second or third busiest road in the county with commuter traffic.

Notice I wrote elected leaders and not elected representatives? Seems to be the trend, getting elected into office coinciding with a complete memory lapse regarding the constituents.

"The past is a different country. They do things differently there."
-H.P. Hartley

My first DE shave was like 12 years ago with a Microtouch One. A Weishi clone of the Super Speed Gillette.

And my first thought, running my palm over my face was, "Why did we stop doing it this way?"

Depends on what old way you mean exactly.
I don't think my grandfather had access to a henson or a rockwell.
We now have razors that making shaving so much easier and yes safer.
It is a mixed bag. People now can jump into pretty much low skill shaving.
That really "to me" is not the old way.

When I turned around 16 (mid 70s), my gorilla stubble started to appear.
My dad ask me if I wanted to learn how to learn.
I new, exactly where he was going because shaved w/ a straight razor.
He told me to learn, no electrics, gillettes (techs/ injectors) anything.
Learn the right way, like how I taught you how to drive, with a manual ( stick) first.

So yes, most of are shaving traditionally or classily.
But is the old way?

Sure....why not......

BFX

I do appreciate slowing down for a quality shave. I'm also glad to go back to "the old ways" with a modern twist. I have no proof, but perhaps the newer DE razors are easier to shave with than the old DE razors.

now for nearly 4 years i have been shaving like my grandad and i must say i love it the fact that my skin has never felt better and the fact that the last time i spent more than a fiver on a single razor blade more than that 3 years ago unlike the new breed of over priced over hyped multi bladed super shavers yes my razor might look old but it still gives me a great shave and i love the relaxing joy of building a lather and a 2-3 pass shave.

I've spent more on the old ways than I ever did with cartridge razors though :D

Sure I may have used a fantastic $22 vintage 1958 super speed. But I also used it with a $25 Seaforth Black Watch, matching splash and $35 Simpson Brush, $15 bowl, compared to just $6 Bigelow cream I used to use.

Last edited:
I haven't gone back to obsidian, but I do think that open blade shaving is the best for me.

Of late, I'm loving open blade shaving with 'hair shaper' blades. I have two of these beasts that take different blades, but they are both good shavers.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
All of my Top Razors are modern. I started down the Vintage Gillette rabbit hole but I got diverted. It's been a fun journey.

I've been able to avoid just a few shaving rabbit holes: straight razors and the associated sharpening stones, etc.; chasing the best soap scents as my skin can't take the ingredients used to add fragrances to soaps.; aftershaves and splashes for the same reason.

I've been able to exit all the rabbit holes at the moment. I'm finishing up a few projects but I'm settling in to the pure enjoyment of shaving for its own sake.

Hell yes. I've tried both vintage and modern safety razors. Both good. And I'll never go back to the can o' foam. At some point, Gillette and the other large companies decided men only wanted a faster and easier shave, not a better one. My skin is grateful I got off that bandwagon.

Top Bottom