What's new

The League Against Chardonnay

*I'm not an English major, but I think this is the correct possesive form for "Moses". A lot of people just put an apostrophe after a name ending in "s", eg: Boris' razor. The correct way would be to say Boris's razor. The name Moses (and Jesus) is considered an exception because it would result in the pronuncuation of three consecutive "s" sounds- Moses's or Jesus's doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. As always, there are tons of exceptions.

I only mention this because my daughter's name ends in an "s", and she receives numerous correspondences that are incorrect.

Also not an English major--thank God!--but do have to grade many papers. . .

Either usage is acceptable:

Moses' razor, Moses's razor

The choice is often left to the user, and depends on pronounce-ability.:biggrin:

Now do you remember which one this was? Grange is tough to match. Was it '98, if memory serves correctly was a superb year for The Grange, but often memory doesnt serve me very well.

Well, the main reason I did not post the name/year is that the rest of my bottles of it are at home, not in my apartment in the godforsaken city, and I cannot for the life of me remember. I think the Grange I had was '98.

Ah yes, that was it Thorn Clarke's "William Randall" Barossa Valley. Do not remember the year, though.

-Mo

Never had the disposable income to buy Grange (About £120 a bottle in Britain)

But have enjoyed

Grant Burge Miamba

Hardy's Tintara

Tim Adams Clare Valley

D'Arenberg The Footbolt

At a more reasonable level

When I first started drinking California Pinot Noirs many years ago, they were not very good, to say the least. The best have improved dramatically in recent years. They are not always copies of Burgundy, but have their own merits. The last issue of the Wine Spectator blessed the coming of age of Pinot Noir with an issue in which a significant number of Pinot Noirs were evaluated highly and with great enthusiasm. Actually finding them of course is another thing.

Ken

One of the better reds I've ever had is 2000 (03 very good also) Castell de Remei Gotim Bru. A fantastic rich, nuanced, generally damn near perfect Spanish red. Needs to breath a while (less now that it has aged a little). Not just me, btw. I believe Parker gave the 1999 an 89, and the 2000 around a 91-92. About $10.

Thanks for sharing that Mo. I'm no wine connieseur but do like tawny port for it's buttery texture. I've had some Zinfandel that was very good, at least to my untrained palate. One of the best pieces of advice I have ever been given was by one of our local spirit retailers. He told me that generally there is more bang for buck by jumping from the $8-14 to say, 14-25 dollar per bottle of wine than any other price range. So far this has been solid. Especially for someone like me who doesn't drink wine daily or even weekly at times. Above this price ceiling he told me that you really need a more educated palate to honestly tell what's going on with a wine. This chap has a store that I'd say conserviately has about 10,000 bottles of wine on display at any one time. Row after row of wines from just about everywhere. Of course I'm sure that many of the tiny, super premium wineries are scarce there but he has wines from a LOT of different countries and regions. He has yet to lead me astray. I immediately picked up on your refence to this Spaniard. I have been fascinated with trying some Spanish reds the last few years. Of course the sherries are always forefront in most minds when the land of the Cid is mentioned. However, the reds have been mentioned as some very great values in price and taste. Sounds like I may need to find this one.

Regards ,Todd

Thanks for sharing that Mo. I'm no wine connieseur but do like tawny port for it's buttery texture. I've had some Zinfandel that was very good, at least to my untrained palate. One of the best pieces of advice I have ever been given was by one of our local spirit retailers. He told me that generally there is more bang for buck by jumping from the $8-14 to say, 14-25 dollar per bottle of wine than any other price range. So far this has been solid. Especially for someone like me who doesn't drink wine daily or even weekly at times. Above this price ceiling he told me that you really need a more educated palate to honestly tell what's going on with a wine. This chap has a store that I'd say conserviately has about 10,000 bottles of wine on display at any one time. Row after row of wines from just about everywhere. Of course I'm sure that many of the tiny, super premium wineries are scarce there but he has wines from a LOT of different countries and regions. He has yet to lead me astray. I immediately picked up on your refence to this Spaniard. I have been fascinated with trying some Spanish reds the last few years. Of course the sherries are always forefront in most minds when the land of the Cid is mentioned. However, the reds have been mentioned as some very great values in price and taste. Sounds like I may need to find this one.

Regards ,Todd

Good luck finding it, Todd. It is worth finding. It is a little difficult to track down, but not impossible. The best way to find good wine, though, is asking the person who sells it. You just have to find the right one. Someone who has actually tasted most of the stuff in his/her store, and is honest enough to steer you to a $10 bottle instead of a $30 bottle if the cheaper one is better.

-Mo

I used to be a red wine drinker, and I detested white wine and the people who drank it. Then I went on a trip to Australia and went round about 20 of the top vinyards in Yarra Valley and Clare Valley.

I have to say, sitting outside under a cloudless blue sky sipping a chilled chardonnay or riesling of high quality - I realised that there's a time and a place for it. Back home in cold foggy England a decent red served at room temperature seems much more appropriate.

For me, different wines work for different situations. You have to pick the one which is most appropriate for the place, weather, meal etc. If you start stereotyping all wines of a certain type, them IMO you could miss out.

But each to their own. :smile:

Chandon Vinyard, Yarra Valley. :cool:
proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Never had the disposable income to buy Grange (About £120 a bottle in Britain)

But have enjoyed

Grant Burge Miamba

Hardy's Tintara

Tim Adams Clare Valley

D'Arenberg The Footbolt

At a more reasonable level

D'Arenberg's Dead Arm is better than the Grange.:biggrin:

At one time American Chards had a smokey flavor that left an after taste that reminded me of kerosene. Then one yeaar I was flying to Europe and they were serving A Hungarian Chard by Gal Tabor. Great. Since then I have found that many American Chards have dropped the smokey flavor and are more like the European version.

Rick

Top Bottom