What's new

Taylor #74 Traditional/Original - Old School At Its Best

Gents, there is an old discussion thread for this aftershave I revived a few days ago. I wanted to give a bit more of an updated message for this venerable aftershave so I started this one.

First, as most of you know there are two scents that bear the #74 moniker in the Taylor of Old Bond Street lineup. #74 Traditional(more on this later) and #74 Victorian Limes. However, they encompass six products within the two scents. Six? I thought each fragrance has an aftershave and cologne version? They do but the Traditional also includes two hair tonics. With or without oil. I am well acquainted with the Victorian Limes. For my money the best lime scent ever. I had dallied with the idea of the Traditional scent for some time. Was it like the Veg? That one is a big turn off for me. Is it too cloying like your grade four teacher's ten cents a quart "lilac" perfume? Well curiosity got the better of me and a bottle came my way thanks to Bullgoose shaving. Fast shipment, great price.

Okay, to it. What does this stuff smell like? I have seen descriptions varying from class to a harlot's handbag. And just about everything in between. Of course I uncorked it immediately and took a good long bottle sniff. Hmm. Kind of odd smelling. I splashed a bit onto my palm and sniffed that. Definitely floral in nature and no mistake. However, I noted immediately it was not like said harlot's handbag. It is no where near as sweet as a lady's perfume. I also took the opportunity to try a trick I saw mentioned on SMF one time. I left the cap off the bottle and pulled the orifice reducer and let it sit on the sink basin for about ten minutes. This can possibly let loose of some of the funk this scent allegedly possesses. I did not notice a large difference but then again, I did not wear it beforehand either.

So after the shave late last week it was time to face the music so to speak. I knew from past experience that many Taylor splashes will almost evapourate out of your hand it you expose them to the atmosphere long enough. This was no exception. I splashed on a modest amount, washed my hands off and then cupped them over my face and took a sniff. This is supposed to be an overpowering concoction? Vile? Horrid? Abomination? Perish the thought. What I smelled was a straight up, old school male floral scent. Yes, it is flower scented. Get used to this idea. It is not woods or ozone(whatever that is) ocean, amber or any other oddball scent description you've seen. It is exactly what I would have expected from a scent developed in the reign of Edward VII. I am not very good with floral scent descriptions and Taylor's web site is no help. I have seen this described as Jasmine, Lilac, and I think there is likely some kind of Lily of the Valley in there but who knows? I honestly do not.

What I can say is I really like this scent. It goes on bright floral and then settles in nicely and NOT in a overpowering "that guy from the office" sort of way. Every female in the family and friends circle gave it the thumbs up nod. And I liked it that after dry down you would catch little wafts of it throughout the day. Oh, and about that bit of it being an aftershave. Like most TOBS a/s splashes this shines in the scent department. They are really not remarkable as aftershaves and can burn if over used. This was the mildest one I have used so far. And the menthol is light enough I do not notice it. Which is fine by me. Overall this is a great old product. Use it for what it is and not what you think it should be scent wise. This is old school and does not hide it at all.

Cheers, Todd

PS About that Traditional thing. I had been calling it that for awhile, then saw Original on the bottle and thought I had it wrong. Well they are both right. The box has Traditional printed on whilst the bottle says Original. So we can have it both ways.

Last edited:
I used this again this morning. I am still impressed and become more so each time I apply it. This scent has a lot more complexity than you first realise. While the floral notes are certainly dominant if you pay attention you will pick up a slightly soapy smell and a 'clean' aroma as well. It really does work nicely. I cannot get enough of it. And the compliments keep coming. Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea but if you like you will probably like it a lot.

Cheers, Todd

Here are the promised photos. As you can plainly see, Taylor labels this product with both Traditional and Original. So either is technically correct.

Cheers, Todd

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom