What's new

Sure glad new Mont Blancs are so expensive.

On the fountain pen network the issue with Mont Blancs is that there are a number of people who feel that Mont Blancs are quality pens for quality people and the rest are resigned to steerage. There was one guy who would constantly post threads about who had the best nibs, who had the best body, which pens wrote the best and of course his conclusion was always Mont Blanc.

Just ignore them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
On the fountain pen network the issue with Mont Blancs is that there are a number of people who feel that Mont Blancs are quality pens for quality people and the rest are resigned to steerage. There was one guy who would constantly post threads about who had the best nibs, who had the best body, which pens wrote the best and of course his conclusion was always Mont Blanc.

He probably invested a lot of money in MBs, believing the company line that they are the best actual pens, and not simply overpriced status symbols. He now has a lot of money and self-worth invested in the assumption that the MB premium is "worth it" from a purely "fit, finish & performance" basis.

proxy.php

My MB 146 is from 1990-91. The fit and finish on it is excellent. It has a very pleasant heft. The resin is superb. Not so sure if it's "precious", but it's superb. For being 24 years old, it was obviously well taken care of. The 14k nib is very good...not breathtakingly awesome like my favorite Pilots, but I have no complaints about it. From my understanding, the best MB nibs are from the 1950's to the 70's, and those are the ones that are most highly-sought after. And 14k's are more prized than 18k's.

About the MB forum on Fountain Pen Network, my experience has been mostly positive. It's a great group of guys that are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I don't doubt there are probably a few in there that give off that "elitist" vibe, though. You also have to remember that they have probably cultivated a defensive attitude against the prevailing impression that MB is an elitist brand and MB owners are social climbers.

This impression is partly cultivated by MB itself, I know, and every stereotype exists because there are examples that support it, but a lot of MB owners are also just fountain pen enthusiasts like all of us here.

I for one did not buy a Montblanc because it is a "status symbol" or to impress people in public or at meetings or anywhere else. I bought it because it's an iconic pen/design that had a good "used" price. And it filled a hole in my collection. I am a Pilot fan, and as such I believe they make the best pens on the planet for the price, but of course that's debatable and not everyone will agree with that. But that also doesn't mean I'm wedded to Pilot exclusively. A variety of brands make up my FP stable. Because every brand has something to bring to the table.

Last edited:
Is there no concern for counterfeiting?

The 144 C/C is often counterfeited and one has to keep a close eye out for that. But, I don't think the piston fillers like 146,149 and vintage MBs have been faked. At least not in large quantities. A caveat emptor "rule of thumb" is usually if it has a real piston, you're okay.

Is there no concern for counterfeiting?
As I have noted earlier in the thread and Bubbles just noted above, the MB piston fillers have yet to be counterfeited to my knowledge. The counterfeiters like to focus on the Starwalker and the converter-fillers, as well as the exteriors of the LE pens.

Look for ones that have photos showing the piston knob extended. If it's not extended, ask the seller for a photo showing that. The fake 146's and 149's have cartridges inside. A piston mechanism is difficult to pull off. And as I've already said, "Pix" under the clip didn't happen until 1997-ish, and serial numbers didn't come about until 1990 or 1991. Usually people say "If it doesn't have Pix and a serial number, it's fake!" but
(1) that's not necessarily true if it's an older pen and
(2) the fakers have become adept at faking both of those "marks of genuine-ness" so it's a moot point these days anyway.

But the piston knob is a tell-tale of a genuine pen.

If in doubt, look at a seller's location (avoid Asia and Russia, generally) and see if they tend to sell vintage pens. Or just buy from FPN.

Anywhere from $250-$500 is a good price to pay for a used MB 146 or 149. Most $149's run around $500, but if you look around, you can find them for less. IMO, the price they go for used is about what they're worth anyway.

Last edited:
This just in...the counterfeiters have started to fake the brass fittings on MB piston knobs to make it LOOK like a fake pen is a piston filler. The knob comes off, to reveal a converter (of course), but when unscrewed it can look like a real extended piston knob and thus fool the unsuspecting customer.

So now the only thing they get wrong is the current version of the feed...but MB feeds look different from different eras so a neophyte has no way of knowing.

So I guess the only defense now is to avoid sellers from SE Asia entirely (except Singapore and possibly Japan). Either that or ask the seller directly for a photo of the piston inside the ink view window.

This just in...the counterfeiters have started to fake the brass fittings on MB piston knobs to make it LOOK like a fake pen is a piston filler. The knob comes off, to reveal a converter (of course), but when unscrewed it can look like a real extended piston knob and thus fool the unsuspecting customer.

So now the only thing they get wrong is the current version of the feed...but MB feeds look different from different eras so a neophyte has no way of knowing.

So I guess the only defense now is to avoid sellers from SE Asia entirely (except Singapore and possibly Japan). Either that or ask the seller directly for a photo of the piston inside the ink view window.
Good advice, thanks for the update:thumbup1:

As I have noted earlier in the thread and Bubbles just noted above, the MB piston fillers have yet to be counterfeited to my knowledge. The counterfeiters like to focus on the Starwalker and the converter-fillers, as well as the exteriors of the LE pens.

Look for ones that have photos showing the piston knob extended. If it's not extended, ask the seller for a photo showing that. The fake 146's and 149's have cartridges inside. A piston mechanism is difficult to pull off. And as I've already said, "Pix" under the clip didn't happen until 1997-ish, and serial numbers didn't come about until 1990 or 1991. Usually people say "If it doesn't have Pix and a serial number, it's fake!" but
(1) that's not necessarily true if it's an older pen and
(2) the fakers have become adept at faking both of those "marks of genuine-ness" so it's a moot point these days anyway.

But the piston knob is a tell-tale of a genuine pen.

If in doubt, look at a seller's location (avoid Asia and Russia, generally) and see if they tend to sell vintage pens. Or just buy from FPN.

Anywhere from $250-$500 is a good price to pay for a used MB 146 or 149. Most $149's run around $500, but if you look around, you can find them for less. IMO, the price they go for used is about what they're worth anyway.
Lots of excellent information here. Thank you.

I was gifted a MB ballpoint and rollerball back in the mid 90s. I would like to compete the set with a MB fountain pen but simply don't know enough about the model numbers.

Is the "Meisterstuck Classique" a 146?
Where should one look for a good used MB? E-Bay? Here on the BST? The FPN?

Thanks.

Top Bottom