What's new

Straight Razor Production

Hello all,

This is only my second post, and probably not even 24 hours after I discovered this site and the fascinating information on it. I did a search and was not able to find anything about straight Razor production.

Has anyone ever attempted to craft their own straight razor? I was thinking about it and was wondering what type of stainless steel is commonly used.

It seemed to me that a razor with a wedge grind could be accomplished with enough time, effort and good base of knowledge.

It is not my intention to trivialize the creation of such a thing, as I know much like any other craft one gains mastery only after years of experience. It would be an interesting project, and if nothing else I would gain a more profound appreciation.

Thanks for your time,
Derek

i didnt really try to CRAFT my own razor per say, but i bought one at the mall and it was a p.o.s. so i took a pneumatic die grinder with a sanding stone on the end to it to try to give it more of a hollow edge... results: inconclusive however not to promising. im convinced you cant get as good of an edge with stainless steel

There are more and more making razors today, though it's still a very niche market. If you look into the reviews section, under straight razors, you'll see some examples of these makers: Maestro Livi, Tim Zowada, Bill Ellis, Robert Williams, & Joe Chandler. Some others to mention include Heribert Wacker and Frank Warner. A new maker that is starting to break in is L.R. Harner. Many of these guys started out in making knives, and have crossed over into making thses specialized blades.

Many of the razor makers don't actually do everything from scratch. Some buy blanks, some send the razors out for hardening, some really only do scale work. To truly do it all like Zowada takes much knowledge and skill. If you are really interested in making your own stuff its best to hook up with one of the knife maker guilds and become an apprentice to someone. Thats the best way. Otherwise just go to the library and read and then just practice. maybe after many many attempts you will be successful.

I think it would be just about the ultimate "Do It Yourself" project. If I tried it, I would want to apprentice to somebody that does.

You might want to look over at SRP (www.straightrazorplace.com) there are a few people getting into it. Last time I was over there there were a few guys making razors, in some cases doing everything, even the forging.
Some beautiful stuff, I have to skip over the pictures as I already have too many straight razors....
but maybe just one more....
John P.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get too much info :001_smile.
Ah well, it will just be a case of some trial and error.

A quick couple questions as to the overall dimensions if anyone could help me out. I will aim for a 6/8ths as this seems to be a good starting width, is there a relative standard or ideal for the blade, shank and tang length.

Oh and finally, I was wondering as to width of the spine, it looked like many wedge razors went from about a 1/2" down to its edge, I'm not sure if this is a fairly universal size or not.

And last thing, I promise. If this works out (who knows) I should have a 6/8ths stainless steel straight with stone scales. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to really do my own R&D, would it be reasonable to ask for someone to give it a try if I sent it out, and give me some feedback?

Thanks,
Derek Taylor

As mentioned, there are a few people who make their own razors and talk about it, but most of the talk is over at Straight Razor Place. If you want more info, take a look over there.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get too much info :001_smile.
Ah well, it will just be a case of some trial and error.

A quick couple questions as to the overall dimensions if anyone could help me out. I will aim for a 6/8ths as this seems to be a good starting width, is there a relative standard or ideal for the blade, shank and tang length.

Oh and finally, I was wondering as to width of the spine, it looked like many wedge razors went from about a 1/2" down to its edge, I'm not sure if this is a fairly universal size or not.

And last thing, I promise. If this works out (who knows) I should have a 6/8ths stainless steel straight with stone scales. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to really do my own R&D, would it be reasonable to ask for someone to give it a try if I sent it out, and give me some feedback?

Thanks,
Derek Taylor

You will not receive much info here about the manufacturing of a razor due to the fact this is a shaving board, not a knife making board. There are a few blade makers that come here on occasion, but by and large it is users who frequent here.

First off, I am NOT a blade maker, nor do I claim extensive knowledge of the art. I am just a fan of the product of these artisans.

I think you may find it more difficult than you anticipate to "roll your own". As to dimensions, I do not have my razors in front of me at the moment, but at a guess a 6/8 wedge would have a spine of around 1/8" to 3/16". I have never seen a production blade wider than 1/4" and that was on an Frederick Reynolds 7/8 wedge made in about 1880. I believe stone scales would result in an unbalanced and difficult to use razor. If you are using stainless steel, what alloy? It has to be hard enough to keep a good edge but not so hard as to be too brittle and difficult to hone. What hardness (Rockwell) do you intend to heat treat the blade to?

Unfortunately as to what type of alloy, I'm honestly not too sure. In fact, it was one of my original questions. However I had assumed it was a Martensitic chromium alloy along the lines of a 420 or 440. But it's very possible that it is something more common like the 316 austenitic chromium-nickel is used.

The 400's are harder and have better edge retention commonly used for surgical tools, but are more brittle then the 316. The choice in alloy affects the hardening available so in this case I will have to respond to the Rockwell question with an "I don't know".

As for the stone scales, I thought about balance and a weight issue, but there is quite a large variety of stone out there and feel fairly confident that it could be a suitable material.

Anywho, like I said it's trial and error now. This is indeed a shaving forum, so I figure who better to ask what properties make a good razor, and collectors are excellent for giving an averaged answer due to their overall exposure.

Thanks,
Derek

P.S.
Thanks jlander for the answer on spine width, I kind of tried to approximate it by comparing it to a finger or hand that were in some of the pictures.

Many of the hand makers are using martensitic steel--
stainless: 440C, CPM154CM, CPM-S30V
plain carbon: 1095, 5160, W1

Documented Rc ratings for these have been high 50s to low 60s.

I don't think anyone has posted experiences with milder steels, like 316.

Stone scales would be cool, as long as it doesn't throw of the razor's balance in use. However, they might need to be attached to a substrate for durability; some have used aluminum or titanium.

Top Bottom