What's new

Straight razor in some near future

I'd like to learn to shave with a straight razor. It's not possible at the moment because I am short on finances of any sort. The reason for this is, I'm leaving for college in 4 months. But it doesn't mean I can't request a whole set of things as a parting gift from my parents :). And in the long run(not even that long) I believe that a straight blade razor will save me money when I'm a college student. Not to say that this is the only reason I want to learn this awesome skill. I read the whole guide today to straight blade razors and I'm hooked. I want to learn.

I haven't shaved with anything aside from a cartiridge based razor so I would be a complete newbie at this.

I was browsing classicshaving.com and their offerings(the economical ones mind you :p) and am curious to the quality of the low end DOVO and TI blades. I'm leaning towards the TI for some reason. I was looking at "Thiers-Issard "Le Dandy" Black, 4/8". I'm also thinking that I'll buy a razorless set from thewellshavedgentelman so i'll get all the other things I need. I'm also assuming that the new razor will need to be honed by someone who knows what they're doing even if it comes from classicshaving.com.

So these are my tenative plans. Please feel free to tell me otherwise. Also, if anyone can point me somewhere to get prehoned razors I'd appreciate it also. Thanks B&B, this looks like a great community.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but check out straightrazorplace.com in the buy/sell forum. You should be able to get a decent razor for a starter. That's just my 2 cents. If you go new, purchase the pre-honed option.

If you buy a razor at classicshaving you can have it honed for $20....which I would highly recommend doing. The low-end Dovo's are still good shavers but I'm kinda partial to the Dovo's over the TI's anyways....my top 2 razors are Dovo's. If you chose you buy everything individually, you can get some good deals on great shave-ready razors here on the forums. Some stuff with a little history in their past...if you're into vintage stuff. Anyways, welcome to B&B and enjoy your stay!

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but check out straightrazorplace.com in the buy/sell forum. You should be able to get a decent razor for a starter. That's just my 2 cents. If you go new, purchase the pre-honed option.
Mr. Golem...I will try to tie this up for you into a nice circle...straightrazorplace was started by Lynn Abrams and others. Abrams is the gentleman classicshaving sends their razors to to be honed upon the purchase of that option! He is so good he is known as "the Honemeister." The video offered by classicshaving is done by him also. Here at B&B, joel has recommended the Tortoise "Special" and also the Pakkawood razors as terrific first straights to purchase. Go with that and a strop from Tony Miller and you will be a happy collegiate gentleman.:blush:

Personally, I'd go with a 5/8 razor for a first razor, but that's personal preference. For me (I have large-ish hands) a 4/8 blade is so small that it's hard to tell if I'm keeping the correct angle with the blade. Plus, the blade is so light it tends to be a little harder for me to control.

However, if you prefer having a lot of fine control on the razor, by all means, don't let me stop you. YMMV.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Welcome Golem!

You seem to be on the right track there. I'd stay away from a 4/8, and go for a 5/8 or 6/8 as a first razor. You'll probably get a better razor from TI than DOVO for similar funds, but in part it's a personal thing. If you get it at Classicshaving, buy the honing service too, and they'll ship the razor direct from Classic to be honed.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll keep a look out on SRP for the next month or two. If by that time nothing turns up I'll go with a new TI(5/8th) from classicshaving. And if anyone is selling anything here I'd be glad to do business. Great forum guys.

Top Bottom