What's new

Straight or not

Howdy boys,

First off, I am a DE man and don't plan switching anytime soon. However, here is my question....

For my first barber shave, 3 weeks ago, and my wife (owns her own Hair Salon, no shaves though) both use "straights" that have interchangeable blades. They just slide in the end, and viola.

Is this a straight or is this a no no in the world of straights that just make things easy???? As far as SWMBO, I can understand because it is used for hair and teasing, or whatever she does with it?!?! But the barber part intrigues me on whether or not this is right. I am heading into the AOS barber shop on Mon the 4th for another shave, and am curious if I will get a "real" str8 or the blade changing str8??

Any input is appreciated.

From what I've heard, it's not possible to get a "true" straight shave in the US for sanitary/health reasons. Basically if someone gets nicked with the blade and they have a horrible disease (like hepatits) it could, in theory, be passed on to the next person to get nicked so they're required to change the blade between customers.

As far as I know, no one has been able to find a barber in the US that does give shaves with a real straight razor. So far.

Thanks, all of this makes sense.

Now, question #2....

Does anyone here use these?????

Several members use disposable blade straights - the most famous is the Feather (which is also the most expensive and uses purpose designed Feather blades).

However, there's the Dovo shavette that uses both 1/2 DE blade and other types of specialty blades depending on the blade holder used. The Sanguine line of razors use a 1/2 DE blade and have gotten favourable reviews, including from a member who is a professional that uses them on his customers.

The other type of disposable blade razor I've seen is the Monsieur Charles, which uses an injector blade.

While purists will scoff, each of the above-mentioned razors is capable of great shaves if used properly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, all of this makes sense.

Now, question #2....

Does anyone here use these?????

I've been using a Monsieur Charles disposable straight for the past 6 months and been getting fantastic shaves out of it. (Better, IMO, than what I used to get out of a DE, though obviously your mileage may vary. :smile:)

I can't really compare it to an "actual" straight, since I only just got my first one of those (learnings so far: it's non-trivial to get an actual straight to be even as sharp as the disposable blades I've been using, so now I'm looking up to the honemeisters here for guidance :) ). Of course, to me an actual straight razor seems like a lot more fun than the disposables.

Well, I got my shave at AOS today, and yep, disposable str8 blades. Once again it was truly a great experience. However, as it stands from my previous & current posts about the barber shave, and from what I have seen on other posts about the same, I can get a closer/better shave at home. But the experience is much better at the "shop".

If you're talking about the Fromm Hair Shaper, I use one when I wish to live dangerously. They are cheap, wickedly sharp and not forgiving. I get the closest shave on the planet but expect a sting or two. They are made to trim and shape hair. Please be careful if you plan to use this one!
proxy.php

You would be better off with other shavettes. Sanguine, an ebay seller makes fine, gentle shavettes. The ones on the left and right are Sanguine shavettes which I regularly include in my rotation. The razor in the center is a Wapi which I included for comparison.
proxy.php

Ernest

Top Bottom