What's new

SR3122, Rooney 3/1, BK4

I know this forum is probably clogged with questions like this, but I thought I'd post anyway. I'm looking for some feedback in my search for the right brush.

I started with an Edwin Jagger BBB (21mm), which I've found to be good, but scratchy. I recently bought a Savile Row 3824, which has been great, but I find it a bit large, so I'm scoping out a few possibilities:

Savile Row 3122 or 3120 (still can't decide on the size)
Rooney 3/1 super silvertip (either the standard or the short-loft version sold at vintageblades)
Kent BK4

I'm mostly on soaps and face-lathering lately. Any advice welcome!

All great brushes and well-known favourites. You're starting quite a debate here. My vote for soaps and face-lathering would be to go with Rooney's 3/1. It's a good, scrubby brush and release lather easily. I love the handle size though not keen on the shape. The best looking brush with the softest tips amongst the three mentioned would be the Kent BK4.

For what it's worth, I gifted my BK4 and still own a 3/1. I've never owned a Saville Row brush though I've heard good things about them.

Some general thoughts...

The BK4 is very soft, has a taller loft, not as dense. Very luxurious.

The Savile Row is bulb shaped, a little more dense than the Kent, more of a soap brush than the Kent. Will be great with both soaps and creams.

The Rooney is a bit different from the other brushes currently being produced in that it is packed in the traditional 'English' style; ie in a fan shaped knot and not a bulb. Very dense. A Rooney will feel much bigger on the face than a similar sized brush from other makers. A real soap brush imo.

It seems like the Rooney would be the smart buy, and yet I really want a SR 3120/22:tongue_sm

If the Rooney is right, I probably won't yearn for the SR anymore. If the SR is right, I'll still be wondering what the Rooney would've bee like.

Probably gonna make the right move though.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Top Bottom