What's new

SR Head Shaver?

I've been SR head shaving for a month or so, about every other day. I noticed that most of the threads here for head shaving are SE/DE. SR may not be the "best" tool for the job, but I've been enjoying it and am not up for investing in different equipment!

If you use a SR for your head, do you have any preferences for razors or honing that are different from what you like on your face? I get blemishes very easy on my head, part of the reason for not using carts, so I usually do primarily WTG - although I'm getting more adventurous and have started doing some sections ATG.

Preferences so far:
- Round point (little easier when doing back of the head 'blind')
- Good, but less aggressive edge. Found my best honing jobs for face shaving are a little too keen for my blind shaving skill level. On the list to experiment more with Coticules, or other stone that have a more skin friendly rep.

Anyone else out there doing this?

I have done it periodically, I agree about the keenness, also less hollow is good for less flex I find.

The biggest lesson I learned was to use two hands for a lot of it, gripping the end of the spine with one hand and shank with the other, really helps with the blind spots because my hands can guide the whole blade better vs being unclear where the tip is when only holding the shank. Also find it just feels more coordinated for angle control and everything where I can't see. Some parts I'll one hand and hold more of the spine. I think the curvatures everywhere make angle control altogether use different techniques.

Patches around the ears are a pain in the ***.

I shave the top of my head with a straight razor, very carefully. I have a lot of sun damage to snag on. I don't use anything different than what I use on my face.

For head shaving I use a to a Kamisori modified TI.
The fixed handle gives much more control especially on blind spots.

IMG_4906.jpeg

Top Bottom