What's new

Speick EDC: a play by play description

(note to mods: could you change the title to "EDT" as oppsed to EDC, please? I'd hate to mislead anyone. Thanks!)

So thanks to a really cool gesture by fellow B&B member xillion (Chris) I have the opportunity to try Speick EDT... I love my Speick Balsam AS, both for how it works on my skin and it's unique scent. I wanted something that smelled similar, but lasts longer, so he sent me a sample which just arrived today.

Please note that in my review, I am far too simple to use descriptions like "this leads to an oppoponax infused short-lived dry-down with the dirty jasmine finally receding to a now supporting role" or "opens with an extremely brief light aldehyde-laced open, transitioning quickly to a very long-lasting fruity apricot-like osmanthus flower note coupled with a natural smelling bright rose undertone in support" to name but two descriptions I've stumbled across recently of various scents...

1. Initial impressions: How cool is this. Some guy totally hooks me up with a peanut and bubble wrapped mini-bottle of scent at no cost to me, just b/c I posted my interest in it. B&B rocks! (Ok, I know that the point is to describe the scent, but that's totally worth mention in today's day and age.)

1. Initial impressions take two: Citrus! Yikes. Not what I was expecting
2. In just a few moments the citrus smell is fading rapidly, unfortunately I now smell a cloying soap scent.
3. 3 minutes in: Cloying soap scent going away (thankfully).
4. 4 mins in: SPEICK! aha! finally! That's the scent I love from my AS balm.
5. 8 mins in. Speick smell still distinct, but definitely receding a bit into the background.

More updates in a bit...

Okay picking up where I left off
6. 10 mins in: I now smell clean. Like fresh out the shower clean. It's not cheap, but not sophisticated either as it smells too soapy. Underneath it is a much more traditional almost musky cologne scent, but unfortunately that's dominated by the soap.
7. 15/20 mins Whew! Soap smell has gone the way of the opening citrus; nowhere to be found. I'm really liking this scent, although having trouble picking out the distinct Speick notes. Wife tells me she likes the smell; reminds her of an "outdoor brick oven next to a fire-pit. And saddlewood". Whatever that means...

I'm really liking this scent. Definitely masculine but not in an obnoxious way. My 17 year old son likes it. Sillage doesn't seem that great at first. Not sure if this is even technically possible, but seems like the scent is increasing as opposed to decreasing, maybe it's just the spicy notes.

Couple hours later: scent is still noticeable but only from about a foot away. My wife just kissed me and said "mmmhhh, still sexy." My four year old daughter said it smells like "boys perfume" and my three year old son apparently mistook "smell daddy" for "smack daddy", which he did when I got close...

Strangely enough, the Speick balm scent is now among the more dominant notes, I thought it was gone but it just got lost among the other smells. Overall the balance is really very nice now. Spicy, but not in the overly aggressive way which can be nauseous in a closed room. Scent on skin is still very strong, much more than I would have expected at this point.

All in all, this is good stuff. Definitely mature but not in an "old man smell" type of way. Except for the opening notes and these twilight ones, it doesn't smell as unique as I thought it would be based on the Speick AS balm, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. I wouldn't call it very complex, but I'll leave that to the scent-heads who know what they're talking about it...

God bless,

Fred

Last edited:
Top Bottom