What's new

Speaking of Red Wing IR's

Not a fan of the vibram soles, and I just got myself a pair of 9111's, which depleted my boot budget for this winter.

Last edited:
My 8111's are approaching 3 years old. Apart from an early treatment of mink oil, I have just taken them to the Red Wing store every Spring and Fall for a free oil treatment and free replacement laces. I'm due for the service now.

These are EXTREMELY comfortable. I wear them 3-5 times per week, and even 2-3 times per week during the brutal Texas summer. Cedar shoe trees every night. The leather has become very soft and the boots are waterproof with the oiling. The soles are wearing very well, and work year round for me unless I'm dealing with snow and ice. I wear them when I travel now that I have TSA Pre-Check and don't have to take my boots or shoes off to clear security. They are getting some nice patina and indigo transfer from denim. Getting better with age!!

proxy.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
My 8111's are approaching 3 years old. Apart from an early treatment of mink oil, I have just taken them to the Red Wing store every Spring and Fall for a free oil treatment and free replacement laces. I'm due for the service now.

These are EXTREMELY comfortable. I wear them 3-5 times per week, and even 2-3 times per week during the brutal Texas summer. Cedar shoe trees every night. The leather has become very soft and the boots are waterproof with the oiling. The soles are wearing very well, and work year round for me unless I'm dealing with snow and ice. I wear them when I travel now that I have TSA Pre-Check and don't have to take my boots or shoes off to clear security. They are getting some nice patina and indigo transfer from denim. Getting better with age!!

Cheers!

I bought mine online, can I still bring them in to a store for that service? (I do not think tho I have one close by)

If you have large enough cajones, I suppose you could but I wouldn't do it. IMHO, If you wanted service from the local independent shop, you should have bought them from him.

I get mine oiled and re-laced at a different Red Wing store than I purchased the boots from. I guess you can do whatever you want, but I like supporting small businesses and the service they provide which was why I bought from one of their shops. I wanted someone that knew what they were doing on the fit when I purchased them. Even though the oiling and relacing is free, I usually make a small purchase while I'm there and tip the person that does the oiling and relacing.

I was wanting a pair of black ones to sit aside my amber harness ones, the "local" shop is about 50 plus minutes drive from me I just found, so not really worth it for "free" service, I could probably pay for laces and mink oil with the gas money I would save anyway.

My guess is that Red Wing pays for their supplies though, so they can offer this service, its not done out of the pocket of the shop owner. So I slightly disagree that you need big cajones to bring them in from an online purchase. (again, not that I am going to do that anyway).

Now if I lived closer, and didnt consider buying them from him in the first place..then yes, my bad from the start. I do try to support local biz if I can.

My local store price matches. Just have to have big enough cojones to ask them to. They make their money off the fluffer items anyways. Socks, insoles, etc.

Last edited:
No time like the present. Just got my IR's oiled with fresh laces at the Denton, TX Red Wing shop. Very friendly as always, did it while I waited, and did a great job.

red wing's oiling service is just them slopping some of their boot oil onto the boot. It is, IMO, not worth the trip to the store and I do it myself. I do a better job then they do. At least that's how it is at my local RW joint.

They do a nice job at my local shop. They wipe them down and brush them off before starting, clean out the area between the boot and the sole, heat the boot, apply the oil, wipe off the excess, reapply, wipe off the excess, and then put in the new laces. I tipped the person that did it $5 and she tossed me a pair of socks as I walked out the door.

Good service.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As any service it depends on the person preforming it.

I took my shoes in twice - One guy cleaned excess dirt, oiled, polished, shined, basically made them look brand new. A different person at the same store just rubbed a sponge on the shoes, over the dirt and everything.

Picked up some RW IR's in black to go along with my brown ones...

I want to replace the waxed laces however, I find they tear up my hands as the weather turns chilly (go ahead..girly hand comments...)

What laces do you recommend look best and have some longer life....what length is best to buy? 48" right? not 60"??

Last edited:
Top Bottom