What's new

Should there be ink in the plastic fan area?

Ok.. stupid question and I probably am not describing it right but just recieved my B&B ink and the pen. When I loaded the cartridge into the pen I noticed that ink went down into the area that looks like plastic heat sink type fans. (Maybe the top of the feed?) My eyedropper preppy pen from Noodler's also does this. Is this normal or is it a bad thing that leads to leaking? I mainly ask since when you flush a pen to change inks will this area ever get flushed and if not will it just mix wit the ink you currently use?

*edit* This is the part I mean.. (taken picture from orchestrion's post on heros)

proxy.php

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, that part is actually part of the ink feed mechanism. IMO, it's perfectly fine for the ink to fill this area, as it helps feed the ink into the nib.

My problem is when I can't get the whole area to fill with ink, leaving air bubbles scattered around it. I would much rather NOT see it, because then my OCD kicks in and wants me to try to get the whole thing filled. Living with anxiety disorders sucks.

There's a couple of names for these. Fins, combs, slots...

But they have nothing to do with regulating ink flow, however. It's more of a method to deal with irregular flow.

Essentially, if your pen gets jostled, if a little bit of ink spurts, or if the feed is oversaturated, the combs will collect the ink, hopefully keeping it from leaving the nib to make a mess inside the cap or somewhere else.

Early fountain pens never had these. They are not necessary except for the purpose of collecting ink, and hopefully saving a mess.

The part that is critical for ink flow is the feed channel. A little channel cut into the top of the feed.

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about the Platinum Plaisir (the pen that was being sold along with the 5 OCS). For that, and the Platinum Preppy, yes, definitely normal and very common with those pens. It isn't easy to clean out, but if you pull out the nib/feed unit (it's friction fit) and then hold your finger over the end when you flush your pen with a bulb syringe, it helps get the water into the fins and help clean it out. Hope that makes any sense, LOL!

Top Bottom