What's new

shaving without running water

Hi,

I prefer not to shave with running water, cold or hot. I also would like to be able to use as few water as possible.:thumbup1: However, I do use running hot water when I shave in a bathroom. :lol:

The best solution I found so far for having a comfortable shave without running water is doing as follows. If lathering in a bow: of course, use a bow inside another bow with very hot water. And keep the brush there when shaving. If lathering in the face: to use an old barber soap bowl/heater with space to keep your brush hot. I think it works better for me than keeping the brush standing in a small bow inside another bowl with hot water.
To put the water I use a water pot made of porcelain (antique), ceramic or brass. I throw hot water on my face with care and then put a towel inside the water pot. Remove the excess of water, trying to have no leaking of water. Apply the towel at my face. When shaving I clean the soap from the blade on the towel using a light stropping motion (as described in an old barber manual I have). I do this to keep the water clean. The towel is hot and wet. Between one pass and another I clean my face with the hot water from the pot. You can do 3 to 5 passes with reasonable clean water. Usually I do two. After I use cold water in a bottle or jar that I keep on my refrigerator. If this extra cold water is not available, then normal cold water is ok. Another option that I enjoy specially in the summer is to put ice with water in another water pot for the final cleaning. :001_rolle

Please let me know your opinions on this subject. What you think is the best way to keep a brush with lather build on the face warm? Cleaning the razor in the towel is a good procedure? Should also use the water from the pot? Other suggestions on shaving without running water?

Regards,

Felipe

Coming from country that is suffering from drought, and a major metropolitan city with some pretty heavy water restrictions, I don't shave with running water either. Everything is done with one sink full of hot water and then a quick run of cold water at the end to splash the face and rinse things off.
Having said that I haven't started straight razor shaving yet, but when my honed razor arrives I will be using a wet towel as well and can't see any problem with that.

Interresting subject! I am kind of bothered by always leaving my water running. It wastes water, AND risks waking my family. I am having a bit of trouble understanding what you are talking about though.

to use an old barber soap bowl/heater with space to keep your brush hot.

Are you talking about a scuttle?

To put the water I use a water pot made of porcelain (antique), ceramic or brass

A basin sink maybe?

Any chance you could post pictures of these?

When shaving I clean the soap from the blade on the towel using a light stropping motion (as described in an old barber manual I have).

Do you rinse the towel and reuse, or use a new clean towel every day?

Other suggestions on shaving without running water?

Some time ago there was posted a link to a small rubber cup that was advertised as being for whiping the excess lather off of your razor. I also saw it for sale in an online store. See "Straight razor wiping bowl" near the bottom of this page: http://www...............com/barberiaaccess.html

Hi,

yes I mean a scuttle and a basin sink. Sorry for my English man.:001_rolle
I can't send you pictures because I don't own a camera.

I know this rubber bowl, perhaps is a good idea. Has anyone used it? I don't think I like the feeling of passing my razor on rubber.

Regards to all,
Felipe

Sorry for my English man.

No worries! Your English is far better than my Portuguese. Believe it!

No problem with the pictures, but could you give me an idea about the size of the basin sink?

Oh, and you didn't answer. Do you rinse your towel when done, or just use a fresh one every day?

I use a clean towel everyday because I like it. But you can reuse your towel. I did that myself and depending of the type of the towel is easy to have an almost clean towel for all week. In both cases you can use your cold water, that still probably clean enough after you clean your face, to remove the excess of soap and facial hair.

Also another thing is that if you used only natural products or if you are sure that the products you used are environmental safe you can put them on your garden or something like that. :thumbup1:

My brass basin sink, which is my favorite, has about 42 centimeters of diameter. And between 10-12 cm of depth. The bottom is almost totally flat. It's not totally round, so this is an approximation. This basin sink actually is an antique hand made brass pot for wooden stoves. A traditional from Brasil.

Best,
Felipe

Gaucho

You've described my routine almost exactly; I boil a kettle and fill the sink and my lather bowl with it. The sink has my towel in it, the bowl has my brush. After stropping, I empty the bowl into the sink, lift the towel out, add cream to the bowl and lather up. When the lather's done the bowl gets placed in the sink and the slightly cooled towel gets applied to my face. Then I lather my face and make a pass, wiping the razor on the towel as you describe. When each pass is complete I fold the dirty lather inside the towel and place it in the sink, rewet my face with it, relather and make the next pass. A small quantity of cool water from the tap serves to cut my aftershave a little and clean up brush, bowl and razor.

Graham

I try to use as little water as possible. I use a scuttle and I don't keep the water running all the time. The problem for me is in prepping. I have to work very hard to soften up my beard. It takes a lot of work and it is then that I have the water running. I want to figure out another way of doing it.

DaveS

I don't boil a kettle since the water gets tooo hot for me. I let my coffeemaker run clear water into the pot and the water temp comes out just right!I never use running water as I shave. I either use:
Two mugs. A mug for hot water to soak my brush and my actual soap mug. I let the brush soak in the hot water as I shave to keep it hot.
Or:
A shaving scuttle.
As Gaucho recommends, I don't even use running water to clean my straight razor. I use a foam beer cooler. The rubber cup Gaucho mentions is often used by barbers in Spain. Here is what I use to clean the shaving lather off my razor. When I finish, I use a couple of squares of tissue paper to clean the soap off my razor.
Ernest
proxy.php

I don't let the water run. A standing basin of hot water. Two bowls bothe warm from the hot sink water.
I make a lather in a bowl.
One to have hot water in it and the other to fit inside the first to keep warm. This keeps my lather and brush warm.
Works well for me. I have warm lather throughout my shave. I don't rush through my shave. I often shave with a straight razor.

Coming from country that is suffering from drought, and a major metropolitan city with some pretty heavy water restrictions, I don't shave with running water either. Everything is done with one sink full of hot water and then a quick run of cold water at the end to splash the face and rinse things off.
Having said that I haven't started straight razor shaving yet, but when my honed razor arrives I will be using a wet towel as well and can't see any problem with that.

I do it this same way when at home (no water restrictions or anything, just a pluggable drain). Here in my apartment at school, you can't plug the drain, so I just turn the faucet on and off for each rinse of the razor. I like to be able to hear what's going on. My roommate runs the water the whole time. I don't see the need. Even if the water is included in our rent already....

Well, I tried to do this all last week without much luck. My first problem is my sink doesn't seal. Second is after one pass the towel has too much soap on it to get the razor clean.

I think I need a new sink plug, maybe a bigger towel and/or one of those rubber bowls or can coolers. :bored:

No sink plug or towel needed. Here goes my morning set up. If I'm using a soap mug, I just use enough hot water to fill my soap mug (stainless steel mug) and the mug for the brush (the green mug). The red can cooler is what I wipe the lather off my razor with. If I'm using a DE/ Injector/ Gem, I use the mug for the brush to rinse off the lather. That is ALL the hot water I use at all:
proxy.php

If I'm using a scuttle, same set up only now I just have the scuttle since it has it's own hot water tank. You can still use a seperate hot water mug to rinse off your DE's/Injectors/Gems if you want.
Once I finish, I wipe my razor with a few squares of tissue paper, rinse off my brush ( I use running water for that) and dump out the hot water mug and or scuttle water.
Ernest
proxy.php

I don't boil a kettle since the water gets tooo hot for me. I let my coffeemaker run clear water into the pot and the water temp comes out just right!I never use running water as I shave. I either use:
Two mugs. A mug for hot water to soak my brush and my actual soap mug. I let the brush soak in the hot water as I shave to keep it hot.
Or:
A shaving scuttle.
As Gaucho recommends, I don't even use running water to clean my straight razor. I use a foam beer cooler. The rubber cup Gaucho mentions is often used by barbers in Spain. Here is what I use to clean the shaving lather off my razor. When I finish, I use a couple of squares of tissue paper to clean the soap off my razor.
Ernest

First time I heard of it. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time I go to the barber to annoy him with my endless questions about shaving.

Yes, but I think the one at the site I posted is a cheaper version. It doesn't have a metal base I don't think.

I like your method, but I usually like to splash a bit of water on my face to help lather between passes.

Top Bottom