What's new

Shavette

I have recently bought a Sanguine shavette from e-bay here in the UK.I thought it would be a cheap introduction into the world of straights.I plan to start with sideburns and cheeks until I have more confidence.Are these razors any good and do you guys have any tips?

I use the sanguine shavettes on myself and clients in my shop.

I recommend you use a good blade. I personally find Derbys are the best all rounder. Just take your time and practice getting the angle just right so you get a close shave without any scraping or tugging. It doesn't take long to build up a bit of confidence. Kepp pressure to a minimum.

Cheers

Mat

Depending on the model you got, you may want to pay close attention to how the blade sits in the cradle. I find my X-D20 is finicky this way.

just to clarify - are shavettes basically a straight that uses a DE blade?

That seems to be the consensus. Technically, the term "shavette" belongs to a Dovo product. In my mind, anything that looks like a str8 but takes disposable blades is a "shavette"

Sanguine
Dovo shavette
Monsieur Charles
Feather AC
ect.

But this is my own opinion. Some who own a feather AC may object to it being called a shavette, but what's in a name?

I have considered getting one of these, but I was wondering, is the technique used with these the same as with a proper straight? Like, do you use the same sort of angle, do the same type of skin stretching and so on? I would not like to get used to something, and then pick up my straight and chop my head off, because I got used to something else.

You do need to perform all the same stretching manouvres and hand positions as you would with a normal straight. The shaving angle needs to be a little more agressive tho, more in line with the angle you would use with a DE.

It really is about as close to shaving with a straight as you can get.

Cheers

Mat

Hi,

I learnt to str8 shave with a little shavette, I thought it was an excellent training ground indeed for moving up to a str8. Mind you, you have to be very careful the little blighter knows if you you're not concentrating, the slightest laps and it will remind you in no uncertain terms who's boss. Nevertheless, I am glad I persevered with it as I learnt so much from it in the short time I used it. When I finally got a shave ready str8 together the transition was easy. I eventually gave it to my nephew who has gone through the same process.

I was wandering whether to get one of the Feather Razor "Artist Club DX Specials they look to be well made and other members swear by them. Unfortunately, I can't find a supplier in the UK. As usual if its worth having you have to wait for it and pay over the top in import duty and VAT. I suppose that's the price you pay for living on 'Treasure Island'. If anyone does know a UK/Europe supplier could they let me know.:wink:

Cheers

I have straights, a Dovo Shavette and a Feather AC.

While the technique is similar for all, there are subtle differences.

Straights vary considerably by size/grind/steel and you need to invest a fair bit of time to learn how to hone/strop so you can maintain a good edge. That being said, I prefer the shaves I get from my straights to either the Shavette or Feather.

The Feather AC is incredibly well made and very solid. I use the super pro blades, which are sharp as hell - sharper than most people can get a straight. The AC is quite heavy and, to me, shaves like a wedge razor, which means you use almost no pressure - the weight of the razor is sufficient - and a very light touch. I get very little feedback - this means you find out that things have gone off the rails after you cut yourself. Also, because the blades are so sharp (especially for the first couple of shaves) you need to be careful not to give yourself a case of razor burn.

If you're looking to shave with a straight on a regular basis, I think the Feather is an excellent choice. The only downsides being cost and difficulty finding blades.

The Shavette (I have the all-SS version) is a good shaving tool as well - I use Derby's (I'm not a huge fan of the Feather DE blades, as I find they're too sharp/irritating for me (which could be due to my technique) and the fact that they can go from sharp to face-wreckers in a heartbeat). The plastic blade holder is a little chintzy, but seems to work ok. The SS version has better weight/balance than the ones with the plastic scales. While still like a traditional straight, this is like a lighter straight - which, to me, provides more feedback so I have a sense of when things are going off the rails before I get nicked.

If you're looking to play around with straight shaving or want a travel straight, the Dovo isn't a bad choice - its cheap and you can use your existing stock of blades. The razor is lighter, so you need to use a little more pressure and the corners of the DE blades are sharp/pointy, so you have to take care not to nick yourself.

In terms of preference, mine is traditional straight, Feather AC, Dovo Shavette - but the Feather and Dovo are pretty close.

If you prowl around the board, you will see that opinions vary considerably, so there's a lot of personal preference on this issue (as with everything else shaving-related). Also, its a matter of what you're used to - these razors shave differently and you need to get familiar with the particularities of whichever razor you're using to get the most out of it. There are lots of people who use traditional razors who try a Feather or Shavette once or twoce and say they're crap - but you need to play around with them a bit before passing judgment because they all shave differently.

A decent disposable blade straight is a good way to test the straight shaving waters - however, the jump to a traditional straight is a big one due to all the maintenance/care issues that have a huge impact on edge sharpness.

William - one of the best ways to get a Feather at a good price is to post a WTB in the B/S forum or keep your eye out for a good deal - I got my Feather Artist Club RG for $75 with a bunch of blades shipped (in excellent condition with the original packaging). While you say you want the DX, the RG shaves every bit as well for a lot less money. If you're squeamish about used razors, don't worry, the Feather's are easy to take apart for cleaing. If you go the used route, you'll pay actual cost for shipping and can have it sent in a "customs friendly" way to avoid excessvie duties/taxes.

William - one of the best ways to get a Feather at a good price is to post a WTB in the B/S forum or keep your eye out for a good deal - I got my Feather Artist Club RG for $75 with a bunch of blades shipped (in excellent condition with the original packaging). While you say you want the DX, the RG shaves every bit as well for a lot less money. If you're squeamish about used razors, don't worry, the Feather's are easy to take apart for cleaing. If you go the used route, you'll pay actual cost for shipping and can have it sent in a "customs friendly" way to avoid excessvie duties/taxes.

Cheers, I might just do that! Nice responce by the way... :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback.I popped a Derby blade in an done my sideburns,cheeks and some of my chin.Thats as far as I've went.Enjoyable though and I'll definately take it further as I gain confidence.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That seems to be the consensus. Technically, the term "shavette" belongs to a Dovo product. In my mind, anything that looks like a str8 but takes disposable blades is a "shavette"

Sanguine
Dovo shavette
Monsieur Charles
Feather AC
ect.

But this is my own opinion. Some who own a feather AC may object to it being called a shavette, but what's in a name?

Well, not 'object' ... that sounds like we're getting ready to rumble :a11: which just ain't the case. IMHO, I'd say the Feather is different from the Shavette family due to the higher quality of construction and the different blades it uses (and the different technique required). I certainly agree that none of these are in the same category as the real straights, but I think the Feather AC is sufficiently different from the others to be in a different category. No biggie.

Well, not 'object' ... that sounds like we're getting ready to rumble :a11: which just ain't the case. IMHO, I'd say the Feather is different from the Shavette family due to the higher quality of construction and the different blades it uses (and the different technique required). I certainly agree that none of these are in the same category as the real straights, but I think the Feather AC is sufficiently different from the others to be in a different category. No biggie.

I agree with this - the Feather is a very different shaving experience than any of the razors that take a 1/2 DE blade (by the way, only Dovo makes the "Shavette").

The Feather is much better built, heavier and is closer to a straight than a DE - in my opinion.

I'm 68 now. Had a shavette back in the 70's but, never could get courage enough tooo try the chin and neck. Fear of cutting my throat.
How do you shave those areas safely?

Guts!

I don't have a lot of experience shaving with a straigh (yet), only a few weeks, but I think it would be hard to get anything worse than a small cut. Leaning my head back I get a flat area N-S, with a E-W curve, so it's not too tricky (would be easier if my neck hair would just grow downwards though).

As long as you mind your angle I think you should be fine (or so I hope, for my own sake :wink:)

I'm 68 now. Had a shavette back in the 70's but, never could get courage enough tooo try the chin and neck. Fear of cutting my throat.
How do you shave those areas safely?

There are tons of resources on SRP and on Youtube for questions like this. Good skin stretching and blade angle are important, as with any other areas.

Top Bottom