What's new

Sharpening

What a headache! Using the largest particle size makes the most sense by far, so why use the average size? Crazy...
Because they're not all going to be the same size. So if you a llow a range of grits, maybe the average size is the most reasonable standard.

Doesn't make sense to me.

If 0.5 micron is 50K then 0.25 micron should be 200K, as four 0.25 micron particles fit in the space that one 0.5 micron particle takes.
It doesn't work like that. The grit rating is a linear one, not area. I think the reason is that the important feature to a user is the number of scratch lines per inch across the direction of movement, which really defines the fineness of the cut. Parallel to the direction of movement the spacing of grits can only affect how quickly the abrasive cuts, not the fineness of the cut.

Because they're not all going to be the same size. So if you a llow a range of grits, maybe the average size is the most reasonable standard.

But the largest particles are those that matter- it could be called 10K because that's what most of the particles are, yet contain a a few grains of sand, which would make it uneven. The largest particles in there are those which matter most to the scratch pattern.

But the largest particles are those that matter- it could be called 10K because that's what most of the particles are, yet contain a a few grains of sand, which would make it uneven. The largest particles in there are those which matter most to the scratch pattern.
Apparently, that's not the case. The Japanese believe that the average grit size is what matters and is a more accurate way of ddefining what to expect.

I can understnad that because you will get the variation in the grit (whatever they allow), so it's not really all the largest one, and the scratch pattern varies similarly. You're not getting the largest or the smallest, so why not just define it by the average.

In dispensing powders, you number them according to the size of screen they passed through, so that is the largest particle size. How you would go about working out the average, and why ou would do so just baffles me.

In dispensing powders, you number them according to the size of screen they passed through, so that is the largest particle size. How you would go about working out the average, and why ou would do so just baffles me.
You could do it with two screens to pass a range and then use the average. As I said the Japanese believe that the average more closely represents the performance of a grit.

However, it is my understanding that when they get down to grits that are this fine they can no longer use screens effectively. I don't know how they actually do it. That process could be one reason they use an average.

It seems the razor gets sharper each time I use the pasted paddle strop followed by the hanging strop.

Straightman, how often do you hone with this method?

Rich
“If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” – Mark Twain

And to think I wanted to simplify my shaving by switching to straight razors!
WOW!!! I am currently using a slab of flattened slate & am going to try to finish with a paddle strop & TI diamond paste from Classic Shaving. If I survive & don't need too many transfusions I'll probably send my razors to Lynn's RICU - razor intensive care unit................!:wink:

Top Bottom