What's new

Rugby world cup 2023

Who's watching who's going? Who are you guys rooting for?

It was great to see France beat New Zealand. I do think the best version of New Zealand is with b. barrett at flyhalf and r mo'unga elsewhere. That's maybe 3 to 5 years ago when Beauden was in his prime.

Also south Africa not bringing H. Pollard could be huge.

Currently watching Ireland and Tongo. My heart is with Scotland, but they have to fight fight their way out of a very touch pool!!

Apart from Namibia, the minnow teams have impressed which is always nice to watch. Less pleasant to watch has been the bunker system and some suspect bits of refereeing. As an England supporter it pains me to say this but I think it will come down to Ireland, South Africa or New Zealand when it's all said and done.

Hard test today for England, more than most would like to think. Japan ALWAYS shows up for the world cup. Ask south Africa.

Big win for Fiji!

As the comms said, "Fiji, everyone's second favourite team!"

It was a great game. Last week I also watched SA vs Romania, France vs Uruguay (great game) and of course "Ugly England" vs Japan. (I am English btw).

Based on Uruguay's showing last week, this week Uruguay vs Italy on Wednesday could be good, then on Saturday night the titans clash - Ireland vs SA, then Wales vs Wallabies on Sunday! Good week of rugby coming up.

I think all of the second tier nations have done extremely well in the tournament. The emerging nations performed better than I thought they would considering The competition of the first tier nations.

@Goblin I'm behind on the Owen Farrell red card situation. He was banned for the first two matches and come back now?

I think all of the second tier nations have done extremely well in the tournament. The emerging nations performed better than I thought they would considering The competition of the first tier nations.

@Goblin I'm behind on the Owen Farrell red card situation. He was banned for the first two matches and come back now?

He can come back now...although personally I am not sure I want to see him back! I think Lawrence, Marchant and Tuilagi are doing good work in the centres, and Ford has been our standout player (along with Earl). What I would like to see is Smith on at 15 much earlier in the second half - he has the creativity and general Marcus Smith-ness about him to really inject some life into our attack, as I think he has shown in both games so far. From what I am reading, I am not the only person who thinks this, and Borthwick usually does what the fans are saying he ought to (eventually) so it might happen.

I'll need to watch the Ireland game but that win against South Africa was huge. Also wales capitalizing on almost every Australia penalty was big. Fiji and Wales have got to be feeling good about their chances getting out of the group stage after that win.

So we were out for some drinks yesterday and forgot about the Fiji vs Portugal game because that was only ever going to end one way.... Switched on the telly just as the game had finished and see the score! Epic and historic result for Los Lobos!

So we were out for some drinks yesterday and forgot about the Fiji vs Portugal game because that was only ever going to end one way.... Switched on the telly just as the game had finished and see the score! Epic and historic result for Los Lobos!

A fantastic game. Definitely the most entertaining game of the weekend for me. End-to-end stuff and worth watching on catch-up if you missed it, especially if you are bored of the cricket score games. Great to see the Portuguese celebrations and what it meant to them!

Looking back at what I wrote on 19th September about England....well, my thoughts haven't changed much based on this weekend's performance. Shambolic. We don't deserve to be in the 1/4 finals. It's a travesty and a kick in the teeth for some of the second tier nations who have played superbly in tougher pools.

Borthwick's selection at the weekend was mental...and there are noises that this is the team he wants to play against Fiji next weekend too. I certainly hope not. I am not so concerned about the forward selections provided they find space for Ludlam and Earl, who have both been consistently good even when the side as whole has seemed lacklustre. The starting backs need to be Care, Ford, Daly (to take advantage of his left boot), Tuilagi, Marchant, Arundell, Smith.

Smith at 15 was an experiment that really paid off. For Quins at 10, he plays up close to the gain line where he can use his speed and almost supernatural ability to find space to pull the opposition defensive line out of shape, and either squeeze through the gaps himself or set up the player outside of him. He keeps defenses on their toes because they know what a threat he is. That's not so easy to do at test level because defenses are so much tighter, but what equally DOESN'T work is playing him at 10 the way both Jones and Borthwick have tried to, acting as first receiver several metres back from the gain line and running onto an opposition defense that is freshly set and has time to react - to unlock what he can offer at 10 he needs to be able to attack the line with quick ball. At 15, he was able to hang back and watch for gaps opening up in the defensive line during the preceding play, then by the time he had possession there was hopefully already a weak spot for him to aim at, running onto a line that was already slightly bent out of shape. It was a great way of using his uniquely Smith-like abilities to find space with the ball in hand, which he wasn't really getting to utilise in the 10 shirt, and it also simplifies the Ford / Farrell / Smith conundrum about the fly-half position.

Also, I want to see Theo Dan on the field much earlier. Jamie George is great, but let him go full tilt for 50 minutes then bring on Dan, who has real impact off the bench.

I know Owen Farrell is great and I don't have the animosity to him that some have, but I do question whether there is a space for him as a starter in this squad. I would have him on the bench as an option for 10 instead of playing the Ford / Farrell axis.

Them's my thoughts. Not that anyone cares! :biggrin1:

Fiji v Portugal was a great game. The delight of the Portuguese players and coaches was something to behold.

The quarter finals look tasty. I don't think I'll be placing a wager on any of them

Fiji v Portugal was a great game. The delight of the Portuguese players and coaches was something to behold.

The quarter finals look tasty. I don't think I'll be placing a wager on any of them
To be fair you're not saying anything that I can disagree with.

I think Australia are the team to beat in this tournament. Heh heh.

France and Ireland look very good to me. I think this one may go to the northern hemisphere.

I think the only easy-ish or easier game would be the Wales Argentina game. I don't think Argentina has been playing up to their capabilities so far this tournament. Wales should win.

@Goblin I don't follow England as closely closely as you do. I can only do the eye test. I do think Farrell should ride the bench and Quins at 10 is a fair assessment. We do care about your thoughts!

I would love for Fiji to advance since my old coach is Fijian and it would mean the world to him.

Fijis pack is good and when they are playing loose and free in the back line it is fun to watch. Defensively the will leave gaps to exploit if they play that attacking style.

I would love for Fiji to advance since my old coach is Fijian and it would mean the world to him.

Haha, thank you!

Honestly, I think quite a lot of English fans want Fiji to advance too. When they are playing well they are fast and efficient at the breakdown and play to the width in the back line. As you say, it's fun rugby to watch. They already beat us in August, and I think most English fans feel like the performance against Samoa was a step backwards to how we were playing then. I am expecting them to put us out and I won't begrudge them it in the slightest!

I like to see Argentina do well because I am a fan of Santi Carreras (he plays for Gloucester in the English Prem and is a frequent MotM) but I think you are probably right that Wales will have this one.

France / South Africa should be huge.

The only game I saw this weekend was the France v SA game. What a great game! I'll be watching the others tomorrow

Top Bottom