What's new

Rhodia vs Leuchtturm? Pen Quiver? Need some Advice!

So for the past 10-12+ years I have been using graph composition books for my gaming, writing, and notes. Over the last few years the quality of these and the blah covers have started to bother me but I never really did anything about it. So I'm not finally on the last one of the batch I bought last time and its time to buy more or find something new. So I originally started out by looking for a leather sleeve/cover for the Composition book but then thought maybe I should just step up to a higher quality notebook entirely. I generally only use 300-500 pages a year so its not like I have to buy a ton of them. After doing some research I'm torn between Rhodia Webnotebook vs Leuchtturm 1917 Medium Notebook. I'm also open to other options.

I thought I would go with the A5 size note book cause I'm very used to my 7.25x9.75 size and I'm not sure how the step down to the 5.75x8.25 will go. I have always used graph paper and when I started looking i discovered this dot graph thing I have never tried it and I'm VERY interested in trying it. I really enjoy writing on blank paper but never could keep everything straight and lined up so I feel that the dots will do that without having all the lines on the page and they might blend in.

I use mostly .3mm or .5mm mechanical pencils with some ink work. I have been using Pilot G2 .38 or uni-ball vision elite pens. I plan on getting a fountain pen soon thinking about a Lamy Safari or Al-Star or maybe splurging and getting a TWSBI 580. When I do this I think I'll start writing more with ink. I have also started to consider keeping a journal.

WITH all that said does anyone have any experience with ether the Rhodia Webnotebook or Leuchtturm 1917? or both? I carry my notebook around quiet a bit and like the elastic to close, which my current composition doesnt have. I have read the Leuchtturm has page numbers and an index. This might be useful for me and I like the addition of the bookmark ribbon in each. I'm drawn to the Rhodia because I'm fond orange..... but I'm very undecided the indexing from the Leuchtturm would be good too. Any opinions or recommendations?

Once I make my choice where is the cheapest place to order them? Amazon has each on Amazon Prime for right under $20 each is there a cheaper place? If I could order my Lammy or TWSBI at the same time that would be a bonus.

Also:
I also really like this Pen Quiver. If anyone has one would it protect my tips of my mechanical pencils? I generally carry one pencil and pen with me when I go and this looks great to me. Any opinions on it would be welcome as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Pen-Qu...=1409841777&sr=8-3&keywords=quiver+pen+holder

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a Leuchturm small notebook as my EDC in my shirt pocket, and use Rhodia pads at work, in the workshop and to take notes here at my desk.

I would recommend Sigel (German company) over Leuchtturm. Sigel notebooks have much higher quality paper, in my opinion, and are available in many common sizes.

Rudy Vey

I would recommend Sigel (German company) over Leuchtturm. Sigel notebooks have much higher quality paper, in my opinion, and are available in many common sizes.

The good thing about my little Leuchtturm notebook is the fact it fits in the pocket of any of my shirts. The Sigel books are nice, but I cannot use them as an EDC in my shirt pocket. The Leuchtturm notebooks are a bit larger than the Field notes, but have much better paper - Field Notes are great for pencil or ballpoint pens, but bleed through with FP's

Rudy Vey

Understood ... but Sigel also does A5 and A6 notebooks ... won't those fit?

No, they are a bit too thick as well, I carry the thin notebook, a Blackberry and my pen in the pocket. If the Sigels are as thin as the Leuchtturm, I would try one.

Well I ended up finding a really good deal on 2 A5 size Rhodia Webnotebooks in dot grid so guess I'll be trying those out first.

Does anyone have an experience with the pen quiver I posted?

Ive seen them posted before, but I don't think I have read anyone actually getting themselves one. you may be the first if you get one

Top Bottom