What's new

Reddit

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Okay guys, I now feel kinda bad for starting this thread. @Claudel Xerxes is right. I did not mean to impugn (or tee up for impugning) any of our members, and I did not mean to be nasty (okay, maybe a little). Honestly, the spirit of my original post was aimed at celebrating how special B&B is compared to the other options out there in the inter-tubes. That is all, and peace be with you my brothers.

I don't think there's need to feel bad about starting this thread. As long as members stay within the bounds of our TOU, and act in a civil manner, then it is a topic that is perfectly fine to discuss.

I thought about giving my opinion of Reddit when the thread first started, but I usually try to practice restraint when giving an opinion that might be polarizing. All I know about the place is what I have seen by reading threads from there without being a member, and the the opinions of friends of mine that rely on Reddit for their information.

Also, like with any community, online or not, one's opinion can depend on who they decide to trust and be friends with within that community.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I highly doubt that. I can't think of a single member since you've joined that has been banned unjustifiably. Heck, I can't think of a single member that has been banned since I've been a Mod (since 2017) that did not have it coming. On the contrary, many members that get banned are given multiple warnings and more opportunities than they should to comply with our Terms of Use. Mods have stated a number of times throughout the forum that we don't like to air dirty laundry, and generally remove posts that are in violation of the TOU. So, while it might seem like whoever's ban might have been unjustifiable, if you could see the whole picture, you would see what led up to the ban.

Just yesterday, I had a member whose post was deleted for two violations of the TOU in a single post. Even though what he did was specifically spelled out in the TOU, he decided to whine about how he didn't agree with the rules. It's about as intelligent as getting pulled for speeding with a speed limit sign right in front of you, but then trying to tell the officer that you don't agree with the speed limit, and thus, you should not have gotten pulled over in the first place. I told him that the rules are the rules, and the post will remain deleted, to which he decided to revert to ad hominem as his response. He was not banned, but it just goes to show that some members are polite and sociable when posting with their buddies around, but can be childish, egocentric, and crude when they get caught doing something that they're not supposed to do.

Also, believe it or not, some people actually lie when it comes to their ego being hurt, opposed to accepting the truth of the matter, staying humble, and learning from the interaction.

We have plenty of members who have been here for 10+ years without a single violation of the TOU, let alone being banned.
He's right you know!

I'm one of the bad boys that fessed up to my crime and was forgiven. I have the spiritual gift of of being an hazzmatt on occasion, but I also have been gifted with the ability to know when I am guilty, and am USUALLY able to swallow my foolish pride long enough to beg for mercy instead of demanding justice.

The ever handy opportunity to learn humility can save one from lots of sins. A lesson I fear I am bound to be forced to repeat until my dying breath!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As with all things internet, make of it what you will. Reddit and other sites have positives and negatives just like B&B, though B&B is wonderfully civil and gentlemanly
I see that you obviously have not met me before! (I am best enjoyed in small portions!)

I have a variety of internet sources for reading and discussing things relating to wet shaving, and I enjoy them all.

Okay guys, I now feel kinda bad for starting this thread. @Claudel Xerxes is right. I did not mean to impugn (or tee up for impugning) any of our members, and I did not mean to be nasty (okay, maybe a little). Honestly, the spirit of my original post was aimed at celebrating how special B&B is compared to the other options out there in the inter-tubes. That is all, and peace be with you my brothers.

I don’t think there’s anything to feel bad about at all. Reddit has some great features and if we can’t talk about it (or other forums) here it’s a bad sign for this one. Everyone gets to choose what they like or don’t like and fortunately it doesn’t have to be just one, we can enjoy B&B and other sites as we please.
It’s almost not even worth trying to discuss bans because the people doing the banning will say they’re right and the people being banned will say they’re wronged. It’s kindof unfortunate when the “official policy” is not to discuss details or answer questions about it, but at the same time we all have to accept that mods on every forum are there on a volunteer (mostly?) basis and would probably just back away from their role if they needed to take a bunch of time answering questions from / answering to people.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It’s almost not even worth trying to discuss bans because the people doing the banning will say they’re right and the people being banned will say they’re wronged. It’s kindof unfortunate when the “official policy” is not to discuss details or answer questions about it, but at the same time we all have to accept that mods on every forum are there on a volunteer (mostly?) basis and would probably just back away from their role if they needed to take a bunch of time answering questions from / answering to people.

Official policy to not discuss details is because most would consider it ungentlemanly to discuss reprimanding and private matters publicly. It's also touched upon in the TOU.

Yes, public shaming is generally terrible for many reasons. A simple mention of the violation of the Terms of Use is generally best.

The mods that seem aloof, heavy-handed, and biased that post more publicly generally alienate a large group of diverse views and end up becoming forums that are just echo chambers of a specific manufacturer, product, or view.

One of the things I like about being here is the diversity of opinions, views, and experiences since I learn about things I was previously unaware of and learn things I didn't know previously even if I don't agree with what has been said!

I am firmly Gen X but I never could get over the site design at Reddit. And then there's the user base.
Reddit's format makes it difficult to seek out the content you want to read about or discuss. The forums here on the other hand let me readily see the recent posts all about shaving soaps for example in one convenient view.
If you use FireFox have you tried installing the Old Reddit Redirect add-on? Makes a world of difference. So much cleaner and more user-friendly an interface.

I can't use Reddit without it. If Reddit ever ban it I will stop using Reddit completely. The new interface is a hot mess.

I have been comfortable here since 2008 and see no reason to be active on other forums or Reddit.

I truely think B&B is on the last places on the internet were people are nice, kind and genuinely willing to help.

In a real world of social polarization with lots of unkind and nasty people, B&B is almost like a safe haven.

Top Bottom