What's new

Question for Member with Weird Skin, and Problematic INGROWNS?

Have acquaintance who uses Harry's Razors, kid get INGROWN'S by Dozen Annually.

His skin is young but he is also very Heavy Thick Beard that when it gets over 2-3 days Growth, it Twist like a Curly Pasta.

Mentioned moving to a DE Setup, but I not sure what to offer up ask suggestion for first DE Razor.

Fellow is Black Kid and being different race I'm hoping some B n B Member who also are Black might chime in.

Last ingrown looked like mini Golf Ball on side of Cheek, it has been battle removing that ingrown hair he said, getting infection under control, yesterday kids face looked better then last 3 weeks.

Wonder if Edwin Jagger 89 would be recommendation, or ???

I don’t suffer from ingrowns myself but regarding razors I don’t think the jagger would be my recommendation. I have one and I like it a lot, but I think it’s angle sensitive and if you don’t get it right it doesn’t cut clean or as clean as others.

An inefficient cut is a recipe for ingrowns.

The Rockwell 6c/s would be way better in my opinion. There’s something about that head that just swipes the hair.

As you have pointed out, black guys get the rough end of things here due to their naturally curly hair. I believe there are products specifically developed to help with that problem (I have heard of something called bump patrol).

That said, as a white guy who first got into DE shaving specifically because of problem ingrowns, I think it won't hurt to give it a try. They say a single blade razor like a DE is less likely to cause ingrowns because, used properly, it reduces the chances of cutting the hairs too low so they get trapped under the skin.

- A mild razor, like DE89 with a selection of blades to try. If his beard is heavy he may do better with sharper blades so he is less inclined to use pressure.

- Proper beard mapping to be certain that he only shaves WTG. To much pressure combined with ATG shaving is a sure recipe for ingrowns.

- Proper prep to soften the beard as much as possible before shaving. Again, this means less need to use pressure to get through the hair.

- He may have to accept that his shaves won't be as close with just WTG passes, but that's probably a small price to pay if it solves the ingrown problem.

I'll just add this to the good advice already posted:
I'm an Anglo but I recommend this even though it says 'Formulated For Black Men'.
Screenshot_20231007_110356_Samsung Internet.jpg

I had a stretch where ingrowns went
from nonexistent to more frequent so after researching a bit, this stuff was recommended by a barber. I use it every time I shower as a preshave prep. Also, if I notice a red spot soon after a shave, I'll just finger dab a wee bit of Bump Patrol just on that area.
This seems to have sorted it for me.

Well have work at LAUSCMC, I have Sony many Arterial Blood Draw on many different group of people.

Depending on ansistry of people or race, each group skin was different.

I still think EJ 89, and assortment is starting place for new bee.

Have acquaintance who uses Harry's Razors, kid get INGROWN'S by Dozen Annually.

His skin is young but he is also very Heavy Thick Beard that when it gets over 2-3 days Growth, it Twist like a Curly Pasta.

Mentioned moving to a DE Setup, but I not sure what to offer up ask suggestion for first DE Razor.

Fellow is Black Kid and being different race I'm hoping some B n B Member who also are Black might chime in.

Last ingrown looked like mini Golf Ball on side of Cheek, it has been battle removing that ingrown hair he said, getting infection under control, yesterday kids face looked better then last 3 weeks.

Wonder if Edwin Jagger 89 would be recommendation, or ???
Tell him to try cold water instead of hot. Works for me.

Top Bottom